Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chop Sunni posted:

Its great that there are websites dedicated to this, because otherwise I'd never have worked out the 'heavy' track near the end of the Limitless finale (which plays samples of 'wired for sound' backwards) was Blanck Mass, because of course it was.

You can just use Shazam on a smart phone to identify music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lycus posted:

I remember liking Lie to Me quite a bit for about a month and then very suddenly becoming bored with it. I don't think I've been like that with another show.

Same boat (except I often bounce off of shows I've watched seasons of...)-for being a gimmicky procedural, it's pretty fun. But as a gimmicky procedural with limited serial arc to it... it can't hold my interest for long

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

I thought Lie to Me only had 2 seasons, I even remember being mad about it getting canceled, but Netflix recommended it and I see there's a whole third season that's new to me!

I highly recommend it, Tim Roth is in top form in it

I had the exact same experience. I didn't really like where the show took the characters in season 3 for the most part, though.

Lycus posted:

I remember liking Lie to Me quite a bit for about a month and then very suddenly becoming bored with it. I don't think I've been like that with another show.

It's a very uneven show and its best episodes are in season 1. It sorta loses its formula and becomes even more of a House ripoff as it goes on, but in the bad way, where every character is kind of an unlikeable jerk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

So I started a rewatch of Patriot last night. It's even better the second time through, Jesus. What a show.

The reason it took me so long to finish Patriot is because I watched the first 7 episodes, then got my roommate into and watched it with her from the beginning. And in the middle of that we got distracted by our Puppetmaster marathon.

But Patriot is even funnier on a rewatch. It's got some Arrested Development level running jokes that you didn't know to look for the first time through.

Now that I've finished it, I should go find the thread...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Our Town is just as good an X-files ep as I remembered. There's barely anything sci-fi or supernatural involved, but it's still really hosed up and once again leans into horror more than anything else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Our Town is just as good an X-files ep as I remembered. There's barely anything sci-fi or supernatural involved, but it's still really hosed up and once again leans into horror more than anything else.

Which one is that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Which one is that?

What if I just say "tastes like chicken"?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nope, sorry. Sounds like a good one though.

I just remembered today that the last episode of The Expanse that I watched wasn't actually the season finale, and now I have 2 more episodes to watch!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's already 7 episodes into season 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Barrowman stopped dying his hair and just buzzed it all off in celebration of his 50th birthday and he just looks wrong now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's already 7 episodes into season 2.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, even though I knew that it wasn't, s2e5 felt like a season finale. So I forgot that the season wasn't over, and now I have 2 more episodes to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, even though I knew that it wasn't, s2e5 felt like a season finale. So I forgot that the season wasn't over, and now I have 2 more episodes to watch.

It felt like a season finale because that was actually the end of the first novel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

It felt like a season finale because that was actually the end of the first novel.

I also knew this.

I can't​ wait to get drunk and watch eps 6 and 7 tonight. It's gonna be great.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
why is there no homeland thread?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/BigRadMachine/status/837164214456307712

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Literally just finished an ep of Golden Girls. Amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Really starting to consider taking my friend's advice about X-files: "Skip every episode Cancer man is in"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Per posted:

While I would definitely award that title to Patriot, Imposters is an excellent second.

No you're right, I knew I was blanking on some show. They're both really pleasant surprises.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Leviathan posted:

why is there no homeland thread?

Don't know but drat is is it good this season. Today's ep was a heart pounder

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How do I get a german spy to be my babysitter quinn is one lucky guy except for the last part.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

How do I get a german spy to be my babysitter quinn is one lucky guy except for the last part.

Why did he unload the gun?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Really starting to consider taking my friend's advice about X-files: "Skip every episode Cancer man is in"

No way, you don't want to do that. Even if the mythology arc goes a bit funny, William B. Davis is always good fun in it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Plus the mythology stuff is pretty compelling conspiracy/thriller material if you ignore that they clearly had no idea where it was going, they keep up the energy pretty well for the first four or five seasons. Even the moment where Cancer Man (season 6 spoiler) shoots Agent Spender is still one of the best OH poo poo points in the series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also his memoir episode is amazing.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
American Crime is criminally underrated...and it's rated extremely high.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I know that Dexter is probably the gold standard for dramas, but is there a sitcom that flew off the rails so spectacularly as How I Met Your Mother? Those last three, maybe four seasons are just astounding in how bad they are.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Timby posted:

I know that Dexter is probably the gold standard for dramas, but is there a sitcom that flew off the rails so spectacularly as How I Met Your Mother? Those last three, maybe four seasons are just astounding in how bad they are.

Scrubs?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

My Name is Earl

Roseanne

The aforementioned Scrubs, especially if you count the immediate kind-of reboot.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Timby posted:

Community

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blunt posted:

Community

I think we have a winner.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scrubs but then it got good again (and then bad again but I still say s7 is worse than the rebooted s9). But HIMYM is absolutely the gold standard, especially the ending that retroactively ruined the entire show which is extremely rare

Community got worse but didn't go actively off the rails in the same way. Must have been the May 12-Jan 14 break

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scrubs dipped in the sixth season and the seventh might possibly be one of the worst sitcom seasons in history, but it's redeemed by the eighth, which is pitch-perfect all around. Even the Med School season wasn't actively bad, just kind of ... weird.

Escobarbarian posted:

But HIMYM is absolutely the gold standard, especially the ending that retroactively ruined the entire show which is extremely rare

It's so bizarre in that they spent four years turning the main character into the most pathetic, sad-sack, creepy piece of poo poo since Ross Geller, and then in the finale he gets everything he ever wanted.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Scrubs but then it got good again (and then bad again but I still say s7 is worse than the rebooted s9). But HIMYM is absolutely the gold standard, especially the ending that retroactively ruined the entire show which is extremely rare

Community got worse but didn't go actively off the rails in the same way. Must have been the May 12-Jan 14 break

Community got bad because Dan Harmon left the show but then came back and while it wasn't as good as the first three seasons, it still felt more like those episodes. I honestly don't know about HIMYM's writing history, but did they have the same showrunner the whole time, or at least core writing staff?

I actually think that last season of Scrubs could have worked as a completely different show, or if they only spun like one character off. Instead it felt like were forcing the actors into the show, and you never saw interactions between the old cast. Should have just kept Dr. Cox and developed the new characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I honestly don't know about HIMYM's writing history, but did they have the same showrunner the whole time, or at least core writing staff?

Pamela Fryman directed all but like seven or eight episodes, and Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were in charge the entire time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

Pamela Fryman directed all but like seven or eight episodes, and Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were in charge the entire time.

Man, then thats bizarre. Maybe they just got fatigued.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I quit HIMYM after season 4, how'd it end?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I quit HIMYM after season 4, how'd it end?

The ninth season is all about Robin and Barney's wedding weekend.

The finale does a lot of time-jumping but, as I recall, they get divorced, Barney becomes a father from a random hookup, Ted and the Mother have their kids, then in voiceover Ted says that she got sick and died, and we see the scene where Ted and the Mother meet at the train station. After "and that, kids, is how I met your mother," then the kids convince Future Ted (Radnor in some of the most hilarious "aged" makeup I've ever seen, and it's horribly awkwardly stitched with footage of the kids shot in season 2) to go bang Robin, so he shows up at her door with the blue French horn, last shot is of him holding it up at her window smiling, cut to black.

So, short version: It's an hour-long wet fart in the middle of church.

Edit:

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they spend a whole year on the wedding weekend and then Barney and Robin got divorced about 20 minutes later

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Timby posted:

Does Weeds count? Christ that show was terrible after season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
HIMYM is probably the good standard, and while those early seasons were pretty good, Lily never stopped being an awful, selfish and petty character.

• Locked thread