Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Actually no game deserves a Greatest because that would mean it has literally no flaws, the most you should ever give is a Great.5

BOTW is at least a Great.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Actually no game deserves a Greatest because that would mean it has literally no flaws, the most you should ever give is a Great.5

Excuse me, but [insert favorite game here] has no flaws. It is perfect, in my eyes, and deserves to be called the Greatest!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is exactly what I had hoped to avoid.
:smith:

Anyway, SMB3 is obviously a greatest. As is SMW. And Teamfortress2.
You forgot that the qualifier is one of my favourites. I love tons of games with severe flaws! I also don't enjoy games that are adored by everyone else.

Also I am going to have a number called Fun Factor. Fun Factors 1-5.

G4F4 - Great and Fun Factor 4.

now the interesting query: Can a game be G1F5? I bet there can be!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bad rats i guess

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

VideoGames posted:

now the interesting query: Can a game be G1F5? I bet there can be!!

I think a lot of people put E.Y.E. there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

...I can't actually pick a favorite game now that I'm thinking about it. Shin Megami Tensei II has incredible atmosphere and art design but the actual gameplay is so clunky and old-school I couldn't rec it to anyone, and things like Invisible Inc and Brigador - while outstanding in their ways - are weighted by some heavy flaws. (Invisible Inc can be boring on easy difficulties/if the balance is out of whack, and Brigador's learning curve with the controls is a beast. Also not enough small map packs in Freelance mode.)

Then you hit things like Pokemon or SD3 where I'm emotionally invested from playing them a ton as a kid, but eesh on calling any of them perfect.

It's one of those cases where you just know what your favorite game is, but the intersection of favorite and a perfect game doesn't really happen?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean, show me a list of perfect games and I'll tell you which ones I like

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super Metroid

That's about it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A perfect game: Spelunky. It is a game with the tightest design I've ever seen, where everything about it works in perfect harmony to deliver you an experience where you are Indiana Jones. The controls are perfect, it's fun, everything interacts in hilariously deadly ways, and it's also got a design that supports low-skill players having just as much fun as the crazy skilled people who do eggplant runs and so on.

...That said it's not my favorite game. I recognize its quality, and have fun playing it, but it's not going in my mental hall of fame. (Mostly because I never liked Indiana Jones)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I don't think perfect means without flaws. I think perfect means "It resonates perfectly with my mind and personality."

There's no such thing as a product without flaws because all things are created by humans, who are flawed beings. I like that some things have flaws because then I appreciate the good points more thoroughly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That's true!

My favorite reviews to read are the ones that are subjective and tell me what the reviewer felt while playing, along with analysis about how the game works. Eurogamer and RPS do this the best in general, though it varies by writer.

Interesting reviews can be entertainment in and of themselves, imo!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, show me a list of perfect games and I'll tell you which ones I like

The monopoly video game that played this at the start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nif68iBR3LA

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't read video game reviews

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Thanks for your input

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

You should start!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Just wait till my ace website reviews are out. Then you'll change your mind.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't care for reviews in the typical sense of "gonna try to concisely discuss everything about a game and maybe give it a score," but I do like impressions, if that makes sense

e: like, people posting their first impressions or second impressions of stuff

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

fridge corn posted:

Uninspired post that will nevertheless entertain fans of the genre 5/10

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good!
Great!
Awesome!
Outstanding!
AMAZING!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Good!
Great!
Awesome!
Outstanding!
AMAZING!

Ahhh, the GGAOA rating format.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jim's review is kind of dumb, and he spent an entire week going on about he's giving it a lower score than other critics, but thanks to the massive overreaction from the fanbase, none of that matters.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Towards the end of his own review he even starts mentioning how other reviews are giving it a high score. I'm not sure why people are angry over a low score from a man who doesn't like Nintendo at all and likes to be contrarian. He gave it a relatively low score after everyone else put out their reviews to generate buzz. But of course there are idiots out there who must take poo poo waaay to far and try to take over his twitter and site lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

He totally did it on purpose to cause this very reaction.:

This is an actual gross opinion. Someone should be able to give whatever game a 7/10 without the fan base losing their poo poo. Yeah, maybe he should have seen it coming because of the infamous 8.8 thing and hell maybe he did but it doesn't excuse that poo poo. It doesn't excuse acting like a total fuckwad on the internet.

Speaking of which, it is I guess validating to that saying jontron was crossing way over the line yesterday and wake up today to see he is in full meltdown and has lost over 50000 subs over being a racist poo poo on the internet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't even like Sterling but gently caress this attitude of "well he should have expected this" or "he did this on purpose". Stop normalizing internet troll bullshit. In a situation where someone is getting harassed and hacked, we should never be taking the side of the harassers just because what they're doing is expected. It's a god damned video game. He should be able to give a 0/10 and suffer no consequences. It's his opinion and it has almost no impact at all on people playing and enjoying it. Hell, people are pissed that a low review will taint the game somehow but doing poo poo like this just puts a giant asterisk next to that score. I know I had trouble believing the breathless hype because of what happened when TP got it's 8.8 . I'm getting off track though. The point is, stop blaming the victim here. Stop saying people deserve the wrath of the hordes of the internet because they should have "known better" especially when the thing that they did is as innocuous as giving a game a less than perfect score

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bloodychill posted:

This is an actual gross opinion. Someone should be able to give whatever game a 7/10 without the fan base losing their poo poo. Yeah, maybe he should have seen it coming because of the infamous 8.8 thing and hell maybe he did but it doesn't excuse that poo poo. It doesn't excuse acting like a total fuckwad on the internet.
Why is it "gross" to suggest that Jim Sterling was deliberately being controversial and poo poo-stirring?

E: He doesn't deserve being hacked or anything but he was totally aiming for a lot of pageviews and angry comments.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe he just thought the game deserved a 7/10 score

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
People thinking Jim gave it a purposefully lower review score to generate attention for his review and people thinking other lovely people are lovely don't have to be mutually exclusive viewpoints.

Jim is pretty contrarian about certain things and a person saying that Jim talking it up about how his review score is gonna be lower than others' scores isn't the same as a person claiming that he deserves the extreme backlash or a person condoning the actions of the people against him or a person saying that nobody is allowed to give a game a 7/10 score because they're just looking for attention.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't even like Sterling but gently caress this attitude of "well he should have expected this" or "he did this on purpose". Stop normalizing internet troll bullshit. In a situation where someone is getting harassed and hacked, we should never be taking the side of the harassers just because what they're doing is expected. It's a god damned video game. He should be able to give a 0/10 and suffer no consequences. It's his opinion and it has almost no impact at all on people playing and enjoying it. Hell, people are pissed that a low review will taint the game somehow but doing poo poo like this just puts a giant asterisk next to that score. I know I had trouble believing the breathless hype because of what happened when TP got it's 8.8 . I'm getting off track though. The point is, stop blaming the victim here. Stop saying people deserve the wrath of the hordes of the internet because they should have "known better" especially when the thing that they did is as innocuous as giving a game a less than perfect score

Nobody is saying he deserves the hate just because he was aware there would be a backlash. That's some hard projecting on your part.

edit: The reason people are saying he had to have at least some awareness of it is because he just got done being sued for millions of dollars by crazy internet video game people. He knows very well the depths people can go to if you say something controversial. He says as much regarding the review itself. Obviously, he does not care about that and more power to him for it. But I don't think anybody reasonable is trying to imply he deserves that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 13, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why is it "gross" to suggest that Jim Sterling was deliberately being controversial and poo poo-stirring?

E: He doesn't deserve being hacked or anything but he was totally aiming for a lot of pageviews and angry comments.

Andrast posted:

Maybe he just thought the game deserved a 7/10 score

What's more, this really does come down to "he deserves it because he should have known this would happen." A 7 isn't even that bad a score. In games in general, 7 is still in the "it's a good game" region.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jim the one who specifically thrives on negative attention because that's what his whole persona is? Like, isn't that what his whole schtick starting out was, and now his persona is just all "I'm a massive egomaniac who is right about everything hahahaha come at me bro"?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
On my gaming scale, Zelda is a G4F4. Its great and has a lot of fun!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

What's more, this really does come down to "he deserves it because he should have known this would happen."

How?? Who is saying that??

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

How?? Who is saying that??

zaphod42 and Lurdiak.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This would hardly be the first time goons/gamers in general claim that a negative review of their current favorite videogame was done purely for the attention, and it won't be the last. The only real difference between the reactions on SA and those found on NeoGAF is that people have paid money to post their semi-eloquent meltdowns about it here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

zaphod42 and Lurdiak.

What they both said is that he wrote the review in a negative way to cause the backlash he is now receiving. While also probably just as incorrect, that is a different statement entirely than saying he deserves the backlash for voicing his opinion.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

7/10 isn't even a bad score

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VideoGames posted:

On my gaming scale, Zelda is a G4F4. Its great and has a lot of fun!

ah an 8.2, the same score i gave it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames posted:

I don't think perfect means without flaws. I think perfect means "It resonates perfectly with my mind and personality."

There's no such thing as a product without flaws because all things are created by humans, who are flawed beings. I like that some things have flaws because then I appreciate the good points more thoroughly.

This comes as a surprise to nobody but when people say a game is perfect they almost always mean "perfect for me." Like when people point out flaws in a game you really enjoy, you probably don't think of them as "flaws" and moreso, "welp that's just how it is." The things that bother other people don't bother you because you're invested enough in the mechanics and setting that they're not even a consideration, just things you have to do. Like when people criticize Diablo and other ARPGs because "it's just about making numbers get bigger" I just smdh and am like dude that's entirely the point and why ARPGs own.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember when the first Halo was considered the perfect game, the only perfect game, at my junior high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

What they both said is that he wrote the review in a negative way to cause the backlash he is now receiving. While also probably just as incorrect, that is a different statement entirely than saying he deserves the backlash for voicing his opinion.

They said he was looking for it and got it, which is the same as saying "deserved it" but without the more negative connotations associated with sexist victim blaming. And it is basically victim blaming.

• Locked thread