Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Synthbuttrange posted:

Orb, Mysterio, Ruby Thursday, any other sphere headed people I'm missing?
Ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Aside from mysterio, I swear this is a thing that happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Orb and 8-Ball should team together with the entire story predicated on the ending where 8-Ball turns on him and strikes him right in in the head with the cue and delivers a really terrible pool pun.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Does he drop magic 8-ball lines constantly?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

Does he drop magic 8-ball lines constantly?

Pool puns seem to be his thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude owns

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh God, he has themed minions. Why do I like this fucker?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh God, he has themed minions. Why do I like this fucker?

Because he's amazing?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh god, I pictured him whacking people with a pool cue like a club, but he actually lines up his shots to attack people. It...it's beautiful.

I am a little disappointed with the hover rack though. I pictured their poolball helms all racked together and their bodies dangling down, and nothing could compare to that image.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, that sure is a sleepwalker villain. if he is still alive he should team up with the orb.

Some Googling says he got blowed up in a Daughters of the Dragon mini, but hell, if Hobgoblin can franchise the Porcupine he can franchise 8-Ball.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Summoned by the Ghost of Oliver Cromwell to incinerate the British Crown Jewels, they are... the Roundheads!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Royal Flush Gang has nothin' on those guys. Like they escaped a giant pool table in Murderworld.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

X-O posted:

Pool puns seem to be his thing.

He is wonderful. I'm amazed no one's dug him out of mothballs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hup posted:

He is wonderful. I'm amazed no one's dug him out of mothballs.

Someone inform Al Ewing, stat!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I enjoyed the random issues of Sleepwalker I picked up, it's a bizarre concept and a neat character design. But man, it's hard to come strong out of the gate when 8-Ball is your first villain. The crew of other "balls" is just plain awesome though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tato posted:

I enjoyed the random issues of Sleepwalker I picked up, it's a bizarre concept and a neat character design. But man, it's hard to come strong out of the gate when 8-Ball is your first villain. The crew of other "balls" is just plain awesome though

Brings up a good question: who actually has good first non-origin villains? Iron Man fought an extra-terrestrial caveman. Thor fought extra-terrestrial rock men. Spider-Man's first villain is the Chameleon, I suppose.

The X-Men fight Magneto right away, which is awesome. Or can nobody ever top Captain America punching Hitler.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lobok posted:

Brings up a good question: who actually has good first non-origin villains? Iron Man fought an extra-terrestrial caveman. Thor fought extra-terrestrial rock men. Spider-Man's first villain is the Chameleon, I suppose.

The X-Men fight Magneto right away, which is awesome. Or can nobody ever top Captain America punching Hitler.

Mole-Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of enjoy that Loki didn't show up to menace Thor until his third appearance. His origin villains were (as mentioned above) the Stone Men from Saturn and his first non-origin villain was the Executioner: not Skurge the Executioner, but the Executioner, who was the dictator of a South American banana republic who was holding Donald Blake and Jane Foster prisoner.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think after he was trapped the Silver Surfer started off fighting other heroes for stupid reason and Doom because Doom.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I was trying to think of more contemporary responses to this question and it suddenly occurred to me that as much as I like her book, Ms. Marvel has never really had a compelling villain? I kind of admire that a lot of the more YA-oriented Marvel titles right now sort of downplay hero vs. villain narrative structures, between Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon-Girl, or even (maybe less succesfully) the various Miles Morales Spidey books.

I don't know if this is by design-- I mean, they certainly do get into fights-- or if it's just easier to create an interesting hero than an interesting villain. Uh, not to imply that Ryan North created Squirrel Girl.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

I think after he was trapped the Silver Surfer started off fighting other heroes for stupid reason and Doom because Doom.

I think his first villains in his own comic were the Badoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sort of enjoy that Loki didn't show up to menace Thor until his third appearance. His origin villains were (as mentioned above) the Stone Men from Saturn and his first non-origin villain was the Executioner: not Skurge the Executioner, but the Executioner, who was the dictator of a South American banana republic who was holding Donald Blake and Jane Foster prisoner.

I'd say the Stone Men from Saturn are Thor's first villain(s). I used the term "non-origin" to try to differentiate from bad guys like Uncle Ben's murderer, but the Stone Men, while in Thor's first appearance, aren't really integral to Thor becoming Thor in the same way that Wong-Chu is to Iron Man.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
“Clark, didn’t you used to say you were gonna be a big-time super hero when we grew up?”

“That was a long time ago, Jimmy.”

“No, come on, man. I remember you have super strength and flight and poo poo. Why didn’t you ever give it a whirl? You’re a natural.”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Jimmy.”

“Come on, Clark. It used to be all you’d talk about back in Smallville, how you were gonna fight for truth, justice and the American way and all that. Now you’re just a reporter for some dying rag. What happened to your dreams, man?”

Clark sighs and puts down his beer. He glances around the bar to make sure no one is sitting close enough to hear, and he answers Jimmy in a voice just above a whisper. “I did it, OK. Just once. I put on these blue tights, and Ma made me a red cape, and I was a big time hero. I show up in New York ready to make my mark on the world, show ‘em all there’s a new hero in town, right? And I’d been there all of ten minutes when I hear a window smashing. I was all set to swoop in and save the day, beat up the bad guys, whatever. And then….”

Jimmy leans in. “What? What happened?”

“It was an 8 ball. Just some jack-rear end dressed up with an 8-ball on his head, and henchmen with pool balls for heads, and I just….”

“Just what?”

“I just flew away, Jimmy. The whole thing was just so stupid. I mean, this is my big break villain? A fuckin’ 8-ball? And I realized that I was just as stupid looking in my spandex, and I couldn’t do it. The whole hero-villian thing is just so absurd. Like watching your kids put on a play in second grade- everybody is clapping for you out of pity because you just embarrassed the hell out of yourself but you’re too proud to even notice. I just couldn’t be a part of that. I flew home, I burned the cape, and the very next morning enrolled in classes at Smallville Community College. Never once looked back.”

Jimmy finished his beer, glancing over at the pool table where a couple of the regulars were racking up for another round. “Good call there, Clark,” he told his friend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
terrible

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 28: Micromax

Nothing like using your powers to give yourself a full head of hair and then immediately putting a helmet on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do not get that guy's costume. It really feels like it was meant for a different character. I referred back to this article to see if there was any insight into the colour scheme but it doesn't really help.

And what is it about his powers or name or history or origin suggests that he should have that red line across his chest? Looks like a heartbeat. Like it honestly makes me think it's a weird Daredevil costume where he tries to give it away that he's blind, especially with that faceplate. I can't see but I can hear your heart! Is that line supposed to reference sound because his alter ego is a (lol) DJ?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a small m followed by a larger m.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah, good call. Wonder why they didn't do something like an M within a larger M.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think the only comic, hell maybe the only panel, I've read about Micromax was a random issue of Excalibur that amounted to "meanwhile, Micromax is still in a coma."

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

So he...embiggens his hair, I guess? Does anyone have a picture of him transforming? Because I am dying to see it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hup posted:

So he...embiggens his hair, I guess? Does anyone have a picture of him transforming? Because I am dying to see it.

Imagine when Goku goes SSJ3 but with a little less screaming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least we get a nice Alan Davis panel in this one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"No, really! I'm not bald, I'm just taller than my hair! Watch, I'll prove it!"

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I am a little disappointed with the hover rack though. I pictured their poolball helms all racked together and their bodies dangling down, and nothing could compare to that image.

That is literally the exact mental image I had upon reading the phrase Hover Rack and I share your disappointment. If bringing that concept into canon isn't a good reason to bring him back then I don't know what is.

I genuinely love ridiculously stupid villain gimmicks. Like even A-list villains can be goofy as hell but they don't hold a candle to someone like the 8-Ball guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not a bad gimmick, either. if he is so superhumanly skilled at pool that he can use it to throw cars around then he is at least better than hawkeye.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Apparently he teamed up with one of the Hobgoblins but never fought Spider-man. He really does feel like the kind of joke villain Spidey would be webbing up in the intro to a comic where he fights one of his regular rogues gallery.

I read all of 8-Ball's lines in this upper-class English voice because I feel he'd be so committed to the bit that he'd double-dip on the "English" pun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not a bad gimmick, either. if he is so superhumanly skilled at pool that he can use it to throw cars around then he is at least better than hawkeye.

It's not skill, it's his cue. The Handbook entry says that the tech in his cue magnifies any force applied to it more than a thousandfold and transfers it to whatever it strikes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pure magnified force isn't putting that car perfectly through the window.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah well, yes, he does have skill. I just didn't want gimme the GOD drat candy to grow up reading 8-Ball issues and think "one day I too am going to know the right spot on a car to strike to launch it in the air!"

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Lobok posted:

Ah well, yes, he does have skill. I just didn't want gimme the GOD drat candy to grow up reading 8-Ball issues and think "one day I too am going to know the right spot on a car to strike to launch it in the air!"

Children everywhere grow up dreaming of one day being as cool as a throwaway Sleepwalker villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 29: Thunderstrike

The greatest of all superheroes maybe? Eric Masterson is obviously the best Thor ever that wasn't a frog or alien horse looking dude. I'm sure there's no argument on that. The only thing that would have made Thunderstrike better was if he had the little mask like he did when was Thor. The same one Jane has now.

• Locked thread