Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Some stuff went down here but I'm still struggling with the idea of a dozen men spending an entire afternoon arming themselves, burning gas and braving the zombie wilds to meet up and exchange 12 cantaloupes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Carol (and nobody else involved with the show) has no idea how to use an oil lamp. Huge surprise.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Remy Marathe posted:

Some stuff went down here but I'm still struggling with the idea of a dozen men spending an entire afternoon arming themselves, burning gas and braving the zombie wilds to meet up and exchange 12 cantaloupes.

You think that's lean times? Next week's scheduled tribute to the saviors is 11 honeydews.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm also glad they found a new token fat chick - and this one's funny!

but those shambhala publishing versions of the tao te ching and book of 5 rings are pretty boss.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How are people managing to stay america level obese during the apocalypse when you have to constantly keep moving and ration your food

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Some people really are just built that way.

Also what's that pile of poo poo on Morgan's painting supposed to be - it looks like some anime with a circle-slash over it in chalk.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zzulu posted:

How are people managing to stay america level obese during the apocalypse when you have to constantly keep moving and ration your food

Some vassals are lucky enough to have their suzerain demand a tribute of cantaloupes that you didn't want to eat anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tenzarin posted:

Did he tell Morgan that he can't be a crazy man running around in the woods making spears and bonfires and screaming full of rage?
And ironically enough we close with

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

These motherfuckers arguing over a cantaloupe.
I love that they had what, 6-8 guards from the kingdom and an equal amount from the saviors, they all drove way out of their way to deliver... 12 cantaloupes.

I mean if gas was that expensive nowadays I might kill a random grocery-checker, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Human Crouton posted:

You think that's lean times? Next week's scheduled tribute to the saviors is 11 honeydews.
honeydew are for bitches

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've found the show more enjoyable if I assume that TWD doesn't take place as an alternate future to our world, but a world very similar to ours where the people were %100 dumber than us even before the zombie apocalypse.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Carol must have been standing right behind the door, she practically opened it before Morgan was done knocking

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zzulu posted:

Inconsistent diets from eating what's available when it's available (And most of that is going to be shelf-stable processed food), and plenty of the survivors have essential but low-impact jobs in their communities, not everyone has to be a zombie smasher.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

coyo7e posted:

Carol (and nobody else involved with the show) has no idea how to use an oil lamp. Huge surprise.

The only way Carol knows how to use oil is to spill boiling oil on people attacking the defenses.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad they won't be putting that dude's penis-nose right in the middle of the screen anymore.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 13, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man I bet you goons bitching about that dude's nose are a gas when you are forced to be in proximity to people with disabilities and actual deformities

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Where are they getting all the gasoline?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lennie James is too good of an actor to be slumming it on this show but that was a pretty good episode. The last three episodes have actually been pretty decent and I'm surprised by that after the never-ending Negan cavalcade in the first half of the season.

The Savior dude who comes to collect is a way more convincing antagonist to me than Negan and way more threatening. Dude is just so loving done with everything that his learned sociopathy is actually more effective than preening and leaning at acute angles. Well those are my Walking Dead opinions see ya

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Well the next day they did the whole ritual just for one, and the first exchange we saw them do earlier in the season was a massive amount of meat.

Some times the Saviors know there isn't much to be had, but it's about keeping them in control.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

The Savior dude who comes to collect is a way more convincing antagonist to me than Negan and way more threatening. Dude is just so loving done with everything that his learned sociopathy is actually more effective than preening and leaning at acute angles. Well those are my Walking Dead opinions see ya

I really want to see him interact with the trash people.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

Lennie James is too good of an actor to be slumming it on this show but that was a pretty good episode. The last three episodes have actually been pretty decent and I'm surprised by that after the never-ending Negan cavalcade in the first half of the season.

yeah, he seemed like he'd already been through a tough shift, and was just working the easy one till retirement. Then, all of a sudden, the easy shift started getting tricky, and you definitely don't want to be the one who hosed up the easy route. So, not cruel for the sake of being cruel, but definitely wanted the trains to run on time kind of a deal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really liked how the exasperated dude leading the saviors' looting band rolled with it. He has obviously been trying to tone it down for a while, but what the gently caress you gonna do when dude is performing gymkatas for an hour before the people you're looking to bully, show up?

My big hope is that they drive past longhair-rear end in a top hat on the way back - and just casually shoot him in the head and never slow down.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Vanderdeath posted:

Love that dude. He is just like, "C'mon bro I am just tryna do my job so I don't get thrown in a furnace. Work with me here. Ughhhhhh."

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

God daaaaamn what a terrible episode. All of these episodes can literally be cut in half and still convey their meanings, yet we get such awful awful monologues to eat up our time.

Also Daryl was still at the Kingdom wasn't he? Where the gently caress was he?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Nah, he was there for only one episode after Rick told him he had to stay there because the Saviors would execute him on site and that as long as he was there he should try as hard as possible to convince Ezekiel. Then, after Ezekiel wouldn't change his mind, he stormed off and went to the next scene showed him walking into Hilltop.

Come to think of it, it doesn't make sense that he's going to walk all that way when it's probably a lot longer than the distance The Kingdom drove the truck in this episode. Also, I don't know why Hilltop and not Alexandria. The Saviors only show up occasionally and all else being equal, he'd get Hilltop in trouble if he were caught but not Alexandria, with the only factor against being that Rick would say "I thought I told you to stay in The Kingdom!"

I think they're shuffled Daryl between towns because shuffling characters around places because angrily storming out of town is dramatic to give the illusion that something happened, but next week is The Hilltop episode, so we'll see then.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Johnny Truant posted:

God daaaaamn what a terrible episode. All of these episodes can literally be cut in half and still convey their meanings, yet we get such awful awful monologues to eat up our time.

Also Daryl was still at the Kingdom wasn't he? Where the gently caress was he?

You are not a good show watcher.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Lets all of us just stand here while this newcomer strangles one of the top Kingdom men to death. He must have good reasons.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

It's unnecessarily slow and lethargic. People can have serious conversations without constantly stopping to stare intently at each other. You don't NEED a long lingering close up every time someone feels something. There are other tools in the cinematic toolbox. And you know, if you have a scene with people talking in it you can do other things than just switching between close-ups. Like you have the scene with Ezekiel looking out over his kingdom from his balcony. From the set you understand what he's trying to protect - people living in peace, a father with his child etc. - and that he is the protector of it but isolated above it. It's not amazing or anything but ok, the set says something about the character and his situation. Most of the other scenes people are having conversations in bleak rooms or a parking lot. It's lazy. It's bad craftsmanship.

That said things happened. I guess the plot moved forward.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bates posted:

It's unnecessarily slow and lethargic. People can have serious conversations without constantly stopping to stare intently at each other. You don't NEED a long lingering close up every time someone feels something. There are other tools in the cinematic toolbox. And you know, if you have a scene with people talking in it you can do other things than just switching between close-ups. Like you have the scene with Ezekiel looking out over his kingdom from his balcony. From the set you understand what he's trying to protect - people living in peace, a father with his child etc. - and that he is the protector of it but isolated above it. It's not amazing or anything but ok, the set says something about the character and his situation. Most of the other scenes people are having conversations in bleak rooms or a parking lot. It's lazy. It's bad craftsmanship.

I take it he's referring to Daryl leaving the Kingdom a couple weeks ago.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I thought lead saviour would get replaced for not being "enthusiastic" enough to keep the plot moving forward, but they managed to do so without. He seems more entrenched now, but I wouldn't be surprised.

This show telegraphs bit character deaths so hard. Rapid and unexpected on-screen character development? Crack out the shovels, this one's going six feet under.

I also wish the show would have the audacity to do some of the things they hint at. The writers seem very concerned that characters get due and proper memoriam while still living which, again, kinda telegraphs deaths. I would have been impressed had they had Morgan bleed himself out in that grave.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Lycus posted:

Sorry I don't remember the boring, incredibly short scenes to show us where our ~*amazingly interesting characters*~ end up for the episode they'll be in four episodes from said episode. :shrug:

Bates posted:

I mean yeah it did get Carol and Morgan out of their pointless lethargies and into a potentially interesting storyline. But seriously, that poo poo took an entire episode? jfc.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Hot take: episode was pretty good and lots of you wouldn't be happy no matter what they did but continue to :airquote: hate watch :airquote: anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Faustian Bargain posted:

Hot take: episode was pretty good and lots of you wouldn't be happy no matter what they did but continue to :airquote: hate watch :airquote: anyway.

This show can be bad sometimes but it is nowhere near hate watch status.

Really, my main complaint against the show is that they insist on doing original non-comic poo poo which more often than not turns out to be just poo poo. Which is weird because they've done some really good stuff by diverging from the comics (keeping Shane around for an extra season, having Carol stick around and become a killer badass) but then they do stuff like the junkyard people and I don't know anymore.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
This was a pretty good episode, but I do think if they trimmed most of these down to a typical 40-minute show it would serve them better. The episodes drag because they are trying to squeeze in a ton of commercials, and I do think that is a huge part of the problem here.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This show can be bad sometimes but it is nowhere near hate watch status.

Really, my main complaint against the show is that they insist on doing original non-comic poo poo which more often than not turns out to be just poo poo. Which is weird because they've done some really good stuff by diverging from the comics (keeping Shane around for an extra season, having Carol stick around and become a killer badass) but then they do stuff like the junkyard people and I don't know anymore.
Are the junkyard people not in the comics?

I thought the setup by Richard was pretty obvious (and clever) but was still good because of the monkey wrench the long haired rear end in a top hat threw into it. I was really hoping they killed that guy before he got back to the compound.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Faustian Bargain posted:

I thought the setup by Richard was pretty obvious but was still good because of the monkey wrench the long haired rear end in a top hat threw into it. I was really hoping they killed that guy before he got back to the compound.
Junkyard people are not explicitly in the comics, but they might actually be the proto-versions of stuff introduced later. Like they're doing an origin story here. I'm pretty confident of that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
These past two episodes have been a slog to get through. This one was a lot better than last week's, but it was still yet another episode where we only focus on one group for the whole episode. It had some good moments with Morgan and Carol finding out about Alexandria etc, but it was just so slow. The guy who doesn't know where Daryl is is right - they could have easily cut most of this episode and included some scenes with more than one group at a time and the episode wouldn't have been worse off.

This has been true for the entire season though, it's nothing new.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JazzFlight posted:

Junkyard people are not explicitly in the comics, but they might actually be the proto-versions of stuff introduced later. Like they're doing an origin story here. I'm pretty confident of that.

It would make no sense for the garbage people to turn into the Whisperers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It would make no sense for the garbage people to turn into the Whisperers.
Well, we thought it made no sense for Glenn to be saved by rolling under a dumpster, but here we are.

I wouldn't put it past the writers, clunky as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Lycus posted:

This

Faustian Bargain posted:

I thought the setup by Richard was pretty obvious (and clever) but was still good because of the monkey wrench the long haired rear end in a top hat threw into it. I was really hoping they killed that guy before he got back to the compound.

I cannot imagine Negan would allow him to live after risking the cash food-cow that is the relationship with the kingdom. But then again this is twd, so ~reasons~ or lack thereof are not a requirement.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 13, 2017