Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

food court bailiff posted:

I really love how enough people lauded Joss Whedon on his STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS AND PROTAGONISTS that he actually made an entire show about women brainwashed into sex dolls without personalities of their own.

I actually really liked Dollhouse but Joss Whedon is really gross.

You are going to have to walk me through how Joss Whedon is gross for creating Dollhouse, but you arent gross for really liking it.

Like, I have no dog in this fight, I liked buffy/angel/firefly well enough in their time and hated the only episode of Dollhouse I watched, so I stopped watching it. Joss Whedon is a guy who has done some stuff I enjoyed and some stuff I hated so his name on a project doesnt guarantee anything in particular to me, I'm just really curious how someone goes "The guy who created this is gross for creating it! I will watch and enjoy all of it.". I mean, for the record I think you can watch Dollhouse without being a creep, but I also think you can write/create it without being a creep.

Tiggum posted:

But I thought you said you wanted something like Firefly?

I actually liked Firefly it just doesn't really hold up to a rewatch these days.

I'd generally agree with the spoilered part for most of his TV work to be honest. It was good at the time, but time has not been kind. Except the first couple of seasons of Angel, they were trash even when they originally aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why does Joss Whedon attract so much fan worship?

The only other screenwriters nerds like who I think have a similar public profile are J.J. Abrams and Steven Moffat and neither of them get the same amount of adulation that Whedon has always seemed to receive.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only other screenwriters nerds like who I think have a similar public profile are J.J. Abrams and Steven Moffat and neither of them get the same amount of adulation that Whedon has always seemed to receive.

I'm surprised you've perceived that about Moffat. I've heard nothing but hate about him, at least among my friends.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nostradingus posted:

I'm surprised you've perceived that about Moffat. I've heard nothing but hate about him, at least among my friends.

I don't mean that Abrams and Moffat regularly receive the same effusive praise as Whedon; I mean that they're the only current screenwriters I can think of who are big names themselves (if only in nerdy circles).

Suppose there's, say, a Q&A panel at a comic convention, Moffat is the only TV writer I can think of who could be on the panel alongside Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman and Peter Capaldi and be at least as significant a presence as the stars, if that makes any sense.

(Actually, just came to me that JMS would probably be another.)

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's young adult drama, smeared with a thick feces-like layer of nostalgia.

When his shows aired they were actually pretty unique with having Strong Female Protagonists (tm), semi complex ensemble casts, unique settings, characters dying and good character driven plots.

When I was a high schooler I absolutely loved that poo poo because they were fun, had persistent plots, and didn't insult my intelligence by being too "kiddy" . As an adult I can see why I liked them as a teenager, but they definitely do not age well.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Whedon was juuust progressive enough to be slightly ahead of the curve but not enough to piss anyone off or stay ahead of it for very long.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SiKboy posted:

You are going to have to walk me through how Joss Whedon is gross for creating Dollhouse, but you arent gross for really liking it.

Like, I have no dog in this fight, I liked buffy/angel/firefly well enough in their time and hated the only episode of Dollhouse I watched, so I stopped watching it. Joss Whedon is a guy who has done some stuff I enjoyed and some stuff I hated so his name on a project doesnt guarantee anything in particular to me, I'm just really curious how someone goes "The guy who created this is gross for creating it! I will watch and enjoy all of it.". I mean, for the record I think you can watch Dollhouse without being a creep, but I also think you can write/create it without being a creep.

I'd generally agree with the spoilered part for most of his TV work to be honest. It was good at the time, but time has not been kind. Except the first couple of seasons of Angel, they were trash even when they originally aired.

The overall idea of the tech on the show and the questions it raises are cool, the guy who plays the stoner on Cabin in the Woods is in it and is a delight to watch (same for Alan Tudyk later on, and seeing Eliza Dushku play so many different "characters" was impressive), the overarching plots are fun, the season finale miniseries thing was great, meanwhile that's all underpinned with Whedon's weird rapey fan fiction.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Bates posted:

Whedon was juuust progressive enough to be slightly ahead of the curve but not enough to piss anyone off or stay ahead of it for very long.

This is better than my explanation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

Dollhouse, AKA "Joss Whedon's Rape Hour". I don't know how anyone could like that show. Every single character is an overt psychopath except for the dolls, and you can't sympathise with them because a) they have no personalities and b) you'd have to be a complete loving idiot to get into that situation.
It would be OK if the Dollhouse staff were the bad guys. But they aren't. You're clearly supposed to be on board with the whole thing and want them to succeed. It's really weird, because if you explain the premise of the show to anyone, it's really obvious that the Dollhouse is an evil organisation and the people who run it must be the bad guys, and that's how it seems at the beginning, but it very quickly becomes clear that we're actually supposed to sympathise with them and be on their side. Even the cop character who's trying to track don Eliza Dushku's character at the start comes around and starts working for them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

It would be OK if the Dollhouse staff were the bad guys. But they aren't. You're clearly supposed to be on board with the whole thing and want them to succeed. It's really weird, because if you explain the premise of the show to anyone, it's really obvious that the Dollhouse is an evil organisation and the people who run it must be the bad guys, and that's how it seems at the beginning, but it very quickly becomes clear that we're actually supposed to sympathise with them and be on their side. Even the cop character who's trying to track don Eliza Dushku's character at the start comes around and starts working for them.

It's Joss Whedon if he had one more season they probably would have became the bad guys.

Kind of like how in Firefly Mal is just bitter for losing the war and then you find out in Serenity that he was right and they really are an Evil Government and he was right to hate them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's more nuanced than that, the Dollhouse organization was always straight-up evil but the local dollhouse that Echo and Alpha were from was on the verge of going/went completely rogue (it's been a while, I don't remember exactly). That's why the cop guy joined up, and they started rebelling soon after someone tried to buy out Victor's body for a personal upload. It went completely ham-handed in one of the last episodes when they reveal that the leader of the program (I think?) is Echo's former handler, who they mindwipe into holding a live grenade.

I have really no idea how you'd come away with the idea that you're supposed to cheer for the dollhouse, though. I mean, wow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's more nuanced than that, the Dollhouse organization was always straight-up evil but the local dollhouse that Echo and Alpha were from was on the verge of going/went completely rogue (it's been a while, I don't remember exactly). That's why the cop guy joined up, and they started rebelling soon after someone tried to buy out Victor's body for a personal upload. It went completely ham-handed in one of the last episodes when they reveal that the leader of the program (I think?) is Echo's former handler, who they mindwipe into holding a live grenade.
The local dollhouse only rebel because they oppose the "take over the world" plans of the main organisation. They're still 100% on board with the regular lovely stuff they do in all the previous episodes.

I have really no idea how you'd come away with the idea that you're supposed to cheer for the dollhouse, though. I mean, wow.
Because they're the protagonists and are portrayed 100% sympathetically and even the characters who start out against them end up on their side?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This clip summarises Buffy's varying power levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3UJwRz0w4&t=149s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We were at a friends place back in November at a party and someone insisted on putting on the Thanksgiving episode of Buffy. I have never seen an entire episode at that point, so I figured "Why not, I've been hearing about it for twenty years"

So there's a Native spirit going around stealing weapons from the museum in order to kill professors, ancestors, etc. He's doing this because he's mad that they're portraying him as a savage in the historical records. Go ahead, read that again.

Also, Buffy spends the entire time saying, "I know there's murder going on and all, but I really just want to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner" while apparently the blonde vampire has a half-vampire/half-human sex slave that he's in an abusive relationship with, but he's also starving to death? And everyone keeps literally asking "Is Angel evil now?"

So yeah, that's my Buffy story.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Len posted:

It's Joss Whedon if he had one more season they probably would have became the bad guys.

Kind of like how in Firefly Mal is just bitter for losing the war and then you find out in Serenity that he was right and they really are an Evil Government and he was right to hate them.

To be fair, the Alliance was always shown as horribly authoritative without giving a poo poo about most of its citizens at best, and Miranda was just a logical extension of that after seeing all the Hands of Blue poo poo.

And after reading the China GBS thread, I'm starting to suspect that the Alliance's status is just an extension of the Chinese Communist Party's influence instead of a natural growth and evolution of Chinese culture. (I think about the political and economic implications of the fiction I consume way too much).

Bates posted:

I'll agree with this. Like everyone says, he's not super-feminist or anything, but a port in the storm, so to speak.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

mojo1701a posted:

To be fair, the Alliance was always shown as horribly authoritative without giving a poo poo about most of its citizens at best, and Miranda was just a logical extension of that after seeing all the Hands of Blue poo poo.

Yeah, and let's not forget the season-long arc about the young girl who went to an Alliance-run "school" where she was experimented on, forbidden from communicating with her family, turned into a living weapon, and had to be smuggled out. The Alliance was always Evil Government.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mojo1701a posted:

And after reading the China GBS thread, I'm starting to suspect that the Alliance's status is just an extension of the Chinese Communist Party's influence instead of a natural growth and evolution of Chinese culture. (I think about the political and economic implications of the fiction I consume way too much).

Have you thought about why there are no Chinese people in the show? This is a culture so supposedly steeped in Chinese culture that people pepper their speech with Chinese sayings and profanity, but there are like zero Chinese characters. Maybe there are some in the background in some scenes, but none that rise above the level of featureless extra.

Answer: It's actually not written very well.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Also being a CRAZY VICIOUS SAVAGE REAVER makes you dangerous and terrifying even to trained military types and not, say, a dead person floating around in the husk of the spaceship you never bothered to maintain because you were too busy eating skin and cutting yourself and listening to Linkin Park.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It annoyed me in Kill Bill when the aul Chinese master guy flips off Uma's sword. I KNEW it was a homage/pastiche of old kung fu films and it's basically magic and whatever, but BOY did that annoy me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I always thought it was strange that reavers ran around without containment on their drives, which is implied to be dangerous to your health equivalent to hanging around an unshielded nuclear reactor (or is that literally what's happening? I don't know what fuels their spaceships). How are they not a self correcting problem? That planet didn't have the largest population, and then only a fraction of a percent became reavers, but reavers are mostly just blood crazed space orcs and have no survival skills. They should have pretty much all died out before the show started, but they somehow had a fleet large enough to challenge a detachment from the Alliance.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Reavers are probably the worst aspect of the show. In a space Western, the Reavers are the Indians, and they're portrayed the way Indians would have been in the 50s: Absolute savages who if they capture you will kill you and rape you and if you're lucky do it in that order. That'd be...troublesome if they didn't make it a *space* Western, but putting it in space renders the whole concept nonsensical. Space is a fundamentally hostile environment that will try very hard to kill you if you don't do everything right at all times, but these ravening psychopaths who have apparently even lost the power of speech can manage to keep not dying?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Phanatic posted:

Have you thought about why there are no Chinese people in the show? This is a culture so supposedly steeped in Chinese culture that people pepper their speech with Chinese sayings and profanity, but there are like zero Chinese characters. Maybe there are some in the background in some scenes, but none that rise above the level of featureless extra.

Answer: It's actually not written very well.

I know. I'm not actually being serious. I just do these for fun.

Still, it's amazing how well it gels with the stories I've read in that thread.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The Reaver thing wouldn't have been so bad if most of it was just stories. Like the aforementioned, "Unshielded warp core" thing because as pointed out, they'd all just die real quick like and if they just want to murder all the time then how do they reproduce? Make it so that yeah, they're space crazy but not nearly AS mad as everyone thinks and the fear of the unknown aspect has brought about these mad rumors and you still have these crazy, horror film villains but it's not as stupid. Hell, turns out they're a mad religious sect and they kidnap and torture people until Stockholm syndrome kicks in. They're like a flesh borg colony or something.

But they do literally unshield their warp core and they do just murder and... I've not seen Firefly since it was first on. Maybe this was all cleared up in the comics or something but they were just brainless kill zombie, right?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
From what I vaguely remember, Reavers were made by a pathogen or something? If that's true and I'm not misremembering, that would probably be how they 'reproduce'. That still doesn't explain how they wouldn't all immediately die from their unmaintained ships though. Even if you take the assumption that their unshielded reactors would take a good long few years to actually kill them, if they're too crazy to maintain anything they wouldn't be able to repair their ships after combat or remember to fuel up or use weapons that aren't basically just scrap. Being crazy doesn't magically mean you're suddenly good at fighting either. A trained military would tear Reavers apart, by actually maintaining their equipment and just...I dunno. Shooting them. With their guns.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

. Hell, turns out they're a mad religious sect and they kidnap and torture people until Stockholm syndrome kicks in. They're like a flesh borg colony or something.

That's something that happens in one episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushwhacked_(Firefly)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's an entire B-plot based on how one of the job perks for the autistic Mengele who does the mind programming gets to program a doll to be his perfect nerd girlfriend on his birthday. The audience is clearly meant to go "awww".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Dollhouse, AKA "Joss Whedon's Rape Hour". I don't know how anyone could like that show. Every single character is an overt psychopath except for the dolls, and you can't sympathise with them because a) they have no personalities and b) you'd have to be a complete loving idiot to get into that situation. Echo's "job interview" basically goes like this:

Mistress Psychopath: You're in a lot of trouble and you're going to go to prison.
Echo: I don't want to go to prison.
MP: Then come work for our organisation. We'll disappear you, wipe your memory, and after five years you'll get it back and we let you go.
Echo: If you wipe my memory, won't I lose the memory that you'll let me go?
MP: Yes. We could keep you forever and nobody will ever know. So it's a good job you didn't ask that question and just said "OK" like the imbecile you are, because if you had asked it you'd have told me to gently caress off and this lovely show wouldn't exist.
And then in one episode (the second last of season one) Echo says this: "I have 38 brains, not one of them thinks you can sign a contract to be a slave."

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The last season of Angel is some of the best TV ever and no one will ever convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

The last season of Angel is some of the best TV ever and no one will ever convince me otherwise. :colbert:

The last episode is perfection.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CubanMissile posted:

I don't remember exactly but is that the one where they had to leave Gun in the nightmare-torture-loop dimension forever?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

There's an entire B-plot based on how one of the job perks for the autistic Mengele who does the mind programming gets to program a doll to be his perfect nerd girlfriend on his birthday. The audience is clearly meant to go "awww".

He programs her to be his best buddy on his birthday, and you're supposed to think it's hosed up. You're supposed to think the whole situation is hosed up and the people doing it are evil. It's baked into the whole concept.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't remember exactly but is that the one where they had to leave Gun in the nightmare-torture-loop dimension forever?

To be left in the nightmare-torture-loop dimension forever was actually his plan along because he believed that he deserved it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Alhazred posted:

I've never seen Angel but I think the "perfect last episode" award still belongs to The Shield.

Anyway, my irrationally irritating thing is characters developing romantic or close friends relationships with people instantly for basically no reason. The most recent movie to do this and irritate my was Fantastic Beasts. Why exactly did Newt consider Jacob such a good friend aside from him just kind of going along with all the crazy poo poo and liking the animals? I guess that could earn someone's respect, but close enough friends to not want to obliviate him? And the love interest thing - I get that the lady wizard was a legillimens or however you spell it so a lot of the attraction is probably unspoken but it seemed out of nowhere and was just put in to make the movie more "cute".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The reavers had enough presence of mind to paint and modify their ships so I'm thinking the 40k space orcs comparison is a pretty good one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think Firefly should've gone all in on the whole Space Confederates thing and had the Alliance be totally justified.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Dollhouse as a show is that Eliza Dushku is the worst actor on the show and everyone else acts circles around her. Which is an issue when everyone constantly fawns over how great her character is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amy Acker is starring in the new X-men show on Fox. She was the only good thing about Dollhouse.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CubanMissile posted:

Alhazred posted:

So good.

Lorne just out of the blue killing Lindsay, blue demon lady pretending to be Fred one last time for dying Wesley... And yeah I spoiled an old show in case someone wants to go and watch it, why not?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm only like halfway through Angel so I appreciate that. You're a Good PosterTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with Dollhouse as a show is that Eliza Dushku is the worst actor on the show and everyone else acts circles around her. Which is an issue when everyone constantly fawns over how great her character is.

Yeah this is the biggest issue by a long shot. Fran Kranz is a loving revelation and I'm so glad he's going to be in the upcoming Dark Tower movie.