Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

"We just Cronenberged the place up. Whole planet of Cronenbergs."

Something about the use of Cronenberg as both noun and verb tickled me.

And then Cronenberg Rick and Morty show up and they also, somehow, use "Cronenberg" in the appropriate context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Snooze Cruise posted:

yo, i think that dog's name is beancounter

too many funny moments for me to decide one is the best, but I do think the butter-passing robot is the perfect example of a one-off Rick & Morty joke.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My function is to keep Summer safe, not to keep Summer, like, totally stoked about the general vibe and stuff.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My function is to keep Summer safe, not to keep Summer, like, totally stoked about the general vibe and stuff.

That's you, that's how you talk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

moolchaba posted:

This phrase actually broke into my common usage and some people get SUPES bent out of shape about it, it's really funny.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

moolchaba posted:

In a fantastic scene from a fantastic episode, this may be my favorite line. :allears:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My favorite part of that episode is how much of Rick's personality is clearly built into the ship. The ship could have totally kept Summer safe without killing that unarmed dude who almost certainly couldn't have broken into the ship to assault her, but it did because that was just the quickest and most "Rick" solution. Then the ship gets annoyed when Summer is placing restrictions on it, despite getting them into the situation they were in to begin with.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dead kid clone is also a particularly dark throwaway that just screams "Roiland". Actually that is probably the B-Plot I've enjoyed the most and I hope we get a nice buddy cop episode of Mitty and the ship in space next season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

moolchaba posted:

That phrase came to me way back from Baddiel & Skinner's History Today skits.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bust Rodd posted:

The dead kid clone is also a particularly dark throwaway

Gods be damned that would be effective irl, though. For, y'know, assailants with a soul.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Shmlantha, Shmlona, Shmla, Shmlangela, Shmlonathan... actually that got old pretty quick.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

"Honey, it's the government! They say you aren't allowed to eat poo poo anymore."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rangpur posted:

"Honey, it's the government! They say you aren't allowed to eat poo poo anymore."

Well when you're right you're right, Jerry. Now I'm hooked.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rangpur posted:

"Honey, it's the government! They say you aren't allowed to eat poo poo anymore."Glenn, this is a court order, it says you can't eat poo poo anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_-u_cAUYU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
It is random debris. I found it in my carpet. I don't know what humans eat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With the amount of time Bird Person spent around Rick and alien's ability to seemingly mostly eat each other's food it seemed QUITE UNREALISTIC bird person did not know what to feed tammy, beside bird dick.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hell, after living with Tammy so long it's highly unlikely that avian semen was the only thing she consumed in his presence. BP's just fuggin' autistic.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You don't know that. Alien semen could be nutritious as hell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that bird person is just dan harmon barely doing a voice. RIP

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In bird culture, this is known as a "dick move".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

I like that bird person is just dan harmon barely doing a voice. RIP

All this talking about the show got me to rewatch it, and it's frickin' great. I had forgotten so much good stuff.

I'm currently playing a game I call "spot Ryan Ridley".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

prefect posted:

All this talking about the show got me to rewatch it, and it's frickin' great. I had forgotten so much good stuff.

I'm currently playing a game I call "spot Ryan Ridley".

I'm walkin' here!!!!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Roiland is a full out libertarian shock comic. He makes a funny cartoon but most likely has terrible views and is unpleasant to be around. Oh well.

Nah actually he is fun to be around. he's good at improve. I had a very good time with him and alex hirsch at comic con, and i genuinely like working with him and getting art direction. its rare as an artist that a client will give you specific direction thats clear and concise ideas and translates visually. Justin is good at that.

I also like hanging out with Dan, but he doesn't give you much room to talk if you are not as good at improve as him. I also have awkward moments with him in the kitchen when he is microwaving his lunch and doesn't make much eye contact.

welp thats my story about my real interaction with these human beings.

edit, wait what the hell , how am i responding to a post from 3 pages back, i am bad at forums.

Typical fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 15, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Honestly I've always really liked both those guys since their 101 days and feel silly thinking less of them because of twitter politics or what ever. I could see how either of them could really rub certain people the wrong way, but I'll never meet let alone have to work with either so who cares.

Also I love live improv and have a lot of respect for it. Sometimes it's fantastic, sometimes it's not so great. That's what I liked about a lot of 101 stuff is that it had that improvisational feel. They had like a week to shoot some funny poo poo between their day jobs and screen it in front of a brutal audience who will cancel their rear end the moment the joke was played out. Rick and morty is polished and great but it still has that improvisational feel at times, I can still feel some of that channel 101 energy or what ever.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Typical posted:

Nah actually he is fun to be around. he's good at improve. I had a very good time with him and alex hirsch at comic con, and i genuinely like working with him and getting art direction. its rare as an artist that a client will give you specific direction thats clear and concise ideas and translates visually. Justin is good at that.

I also like hanging out with Dan, but he doesn't give you much room to talk if you are not as good at improve as him. I also have awkward moments with him in the kitchen when he is microwaving his lunch and doesn't make much eye contact.

welp thats my story about my real interaction with these human beings.

edit, wait what the hell , how am i responding to a post from 3 pages back, i am bad at forums.

wow i didn't realize the two of them where into self improvement

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow i didn't realize the two of them where into self improvement

I am bad artist who cannot use computer or spell check. Improv*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Typical posted:

If you get a chance, tell Dan that he's awesome. :swoon:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Typical posted:

I am bad artist who cannot use computer or spell check. Improv*
maybe.... you could use the self improvment

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm stuck in NZ, I'll never meet these people :(

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

When I lived in LA I got invited to a Channel 101 screening not knowing what it was, and continued to go while I was in LA just because it was enjoyable and free, never realizing that the Dan Harmon guy who was one of the two runners was a Big Deal. :downs:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

If you're in LA, Harmontown is pretty fun to check out and see Dan get smashed on vodka

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd love sit in on a harmonquest session if they ever do more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They are doing more!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They just did a live one a few days ago and apparently Dan got so drunk it was a loving fiasco. Like getting really awkward with his ex-wife. Can't wait to watch it!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Alan_Shore posted:

They just did a live one a few days ago and apparently Dan got so drunk it was a loving fiasco. Like getting really awkward with his ex-wife. Can't wait to watch it!

Jesus, I'm horrified yet I can't wait to see that.

Dan is someone I'm really, really glad I don't know in real life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's amazing to think Geoff Winger was his self-insert in community and Jerry in Rick and Morty. Dude has some stuff going on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

It's amazing to think Geoff Winger was his self-insert in community and Jerry in Rick and Morty. Dude has some stuff going on.

Dan's self-inserts? No, not really. Winger was only half of Dan -- the other half was Britta (politics, baggles). And Dan is much more Rick than Jerry. Jerry is a douche, whereas Rick is a drunk angry dude who's mad that everybody likes Inception so much.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

All of Dan's characters are self inserts to some degree. I think they kind of alluded to that in that R&M episode when Unity was controlling all of the characters from Community.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I loved the hive mind ideas, made me think a lot about it. You can always tell a good sci fi world by how much it makes you think about cool and mysterious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

prefect posted:

Dan's self-inserts? No, not really. Winger was only half of Dan -- the other half was Britta (politics, baggles). And Dan is much more Rick than Jerry. Jerry is a douche, whereas Rick is a drunk angry dude who's mad that everybody likes Inception so much.

There was some interview where he was asked which character he identified with the most and he instantly went with Jerry because they're both neurotic and insecure and pathetic.

• Locked thread