Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hop out of your GLI/GTI and into a BMW. Press the clutch down and release it quickly, have your mind blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Hop out of your GLI/GTI and into a BMW, have your mind blown.

Fixed that for you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Hop out of your GLI/GTI and into a BMW. Press the clutch down and release it quickly, have your mind blown.

And your bank account blown :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

And your bank account blown :)

I dunno, I paid $14k to drive the GTI for 18 months. Bad with money, whatup

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 9, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am driving a Mk. 7 Golf right now and I always forget what a loving good car the Golf is. I have a pretty low spec 1.4 TSI. It makes me want to sell the FoST and get the Golf Sportwagen TSI 4Motion. How bad of an idea is this?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Wow. I felt bad paying 12k for driving my TDI for 4 years.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am driving a Mk. 7 Golf right now and I always forget what a loving good car the Golf is. I have a pretty low spec 1.4 TSI. It makes me want to sell the FoST and get the Golf Sportwagen TSI 4Motion. How bad of an idea is this?

Buy it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there anyway to make the RS's ride less ... harsh? I personally do not mind it (I actually thought it was going to be a lot worse), but wifey thinks I'm going to end up shattering my spine (slight exaggeration).

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Fit taller sidewalls if possible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Wow. I felt bad paying 12k for driving my TDI for 4 years.

I think I'll be around $7-8k for my TDI for 4.5 years and 87k miles. Not a bad deal. Turn it in next week.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I think I'll be around $7-8k for my TDI for 4.5 years and 87k miles. Not a bad deal. Turn it in next week.

Unfortunately I'm not getting bought back. I traded it in about a month before all that came to light.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Who wants a $90,000 Golf?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Unfortunately I'm not getting bought back. I traded it in about a month before all that came to light.

Ouch.

An update to the incredibly high quality work that was done on my car: There are multiple 1/4"+ chips in the paint on at least the hood! I know Colorado is rough on cars this time of year but come the gently caress on.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Etrips posted:

Is there anyway to make the RS's ride less ... harsh? I personally do not mind it (I actually thought it was going to be a lot worse), but wifey thinks I'm going to end up shattering my spine (slight exaggeration).

18s and taller rubber

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

breathe on the engine, or let the engine breathe?

how is that spoiler even connected?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JollyPubJerk posted:

breathe on the engine, or let the engine breathe?

Suction cups :shrug:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I would use that Golf in Rocket League

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

JollyPubJerk posted:

Never seen a swan neck wing before?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TWSS posted:

it looks like its going through the window

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TWSS posted:

It's a render with the wing affixed to the glass directly.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

BlackMK4 posted:

I paid $3k to drive my Speed3 for 2.5 years.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Took a 17 GTI out yesterday, getting ready to head to Ford to take out the Fiesta. GTI is gonna be a tough act to follow though. It was way quicker than I remember the MK6 I test drove a few years back. That interior is a great place to be, too. And I didn't hate the DSG but I still need to give a 6spd a shot, don't think I really care to pay an extra grand for it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
GTI is hard to beat if you like the adult nature of it and with the current pricing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozZKm1szkw

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

GTI is hard to beat if you like the adult nature of it and with the current pricing.

Yeah. The Focus RS was real fun but just too damned expensive, and the interior wasn't nearly as nice.

In a related event I'm picking up a GTI Tuesday

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So the Ford dealership tried to put me in a Fiesta at drat near 30k (29.5) with their initial offer. I know they gotta start high but gently caress. I laughed and told them that was over MSRP for the GTI I drove yesterday and they came back at 27.5, so I walked. If they can't be more competitive than that I'll for sure end up in a GTI by the end of the week.

I'm sure I'll get a call tomorrow but that really soured me.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah gently caress that. I'd expected fiesta st with 30k miles to be $15-17k.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quite A Tool posted:

So the Ford dealership tried to put me in a Fiesta at drat near 30k (29.5) with their initial offer. I know they gotta start high but gently caress. I laughed and told them that was over MSRP for the GTI I drove yesterday and they came back at 27.5, so I walked. If they can't be more competitive than that I'll for sure end up in a GTI by the end of the week.

What country are you in? I bought my fiesta st brand new for $19,800 US.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm in Seattle. I have no idea what made them think that I wouldn't balk at that offer but unless they call me back with something within the realm of reality I'll go nowhere near that place again. This is the second time I've been jerked around by a ford dealer when we were purchasing a new car, so I'm not super impressed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quite A Tool posted:

Are you sure you weren't looking at a Focus ST?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't see how that's possible since I bought a FoST in 2013 with every single option OTD for like $28,5

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Car dealers are terrible. They asked $49K (~8K over MSRP and 7k over what their website says) for the golf R that has been sitting in the sun for 6 months near me when I walked in. And I personally know they have sold several below retail this year.

There should really be some consumer protections against that kind of horseshit.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

Took a 17 GTI out yesterday, getting ready to head to Ford to take out the Fiesta. GTI is gonna be a tough act to follow though. It was way quicker than I remember the MK6 I test drove a few years back. That interior is a great place to be, too. And I didn't hate the DSG but I still need to give a 6spd a shot, don't think I really care to pay an extra grand for it.

I never test drove the DSG, but others complain about the tall gearing on the manual and I believe the DSG is quicker due to the gearing ratios. However, the manual is very well behaved in traffic and second gear takes you all the way up past 60 mph. I had a Speed3 before and it's nice not to have to shift 3 times to get to 60.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I think most of the DSG's advantage 0-60 is down to the launch control and the so-satisfying dual clutch gear changes. Definitely try one if you never have and aren't a stick shift die hard. Nothing can really top a good manual, but I also seriously love the DSG for my DD purposes. It does have some quirks without the typical torque converter, and it downshifting to a stop takes some getting used to.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AvesPKS posted:

I never test drove the DSG, but others complain about the tall gearing on the manual and I believe the DSG is quicker due to the gearing ratios. However, the manual is very well behaved in traffic and second gear takes you all the way up past 60 mph. I had a Speed3 before and it's nice not to have to shift 3 times to get to 60.

I forgot about the Speed3 multiple shifts before 60. Internet fanboys would lose their poo poo that the 0-60 was slower because it required a multiple shift

"But 0-58 is way faster!!!"

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I forgot about the Speed3 multiple shifts before 60. Internet fanboys would lose their poo poo that the 0-60 was slower because it required a multiple shift

"But 0-58 is way faster!!!"

Much easier to get into trouble with too. I got my first ticket with the car not realizing how quickly third gear can get out of hand when using an on-ramp to the highway.

I recall one year that the WRX was quicker to 60 than the STI because of the 5 speed vs 6 speed.

Anybody who's looking at or getting a GTI, and doesn't want to get a tune, look into the JB1. My only substantive complain with the car was acceleration and the JB1 fixes this for me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm definitely leaning that way. The JB4 install looks like a lot more of a pain in the rear end and isn't easily removable.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Quite A Tool posted:

Bill Pierre Ford?

They're the ones who got famous for advertising a fusion at $16k and then finagling the actual sale price over $30k after add ons. They're the loving scum of the earth and it's astonishing that Ford still works with them.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

oxbrain posted:

Bill Pierre Ford?

drat, they're selling their Fiestas for 4k over sticker. That's downright egregious.

edit: ~market adjustment~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

TheWevel posted:

drat, they're selling their Fiestas for 4k over sticker. That's downright egregious.

They're my next door neighbors, but I'm pretty sure they're only good for ogling their 4 RSes on the way to work every day.