Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

How does Skarmory threaten it meaningfully? It's immune to toxic and totally willing to spam stat ups until it gets strong enough to beat up Skarmory through the defenses. Am I just not up to date on Skarmory sets and I'm missing that Skarmory learns Seismic Toss or something to win a damage race?

E: Wait does it just run it out of PP with Roost?
Whirlwind can bounce it out if it tries to boost.
Skar doesn't easily win, but it stalemates hard and robs it of momentum, which can be almost as good.

Edit I gently caress around with RPG Maker a lot, so there's all these little design decisions in games like this that just loving baffle me. If they're digging hard into custom coding, why are there such basic 'this could be fixed super simply' issues like not being able to get kicked back to a Pokemon center when you lose? If they're just running off the pre-built scripts, why did it take a full team two years to make?

TL;DR I am very upset about free fangames about technicolor dogfights.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

How does Skarmory threaten it meaningfully? It's immune to toxic and totally willing to spam stat ups until it gets strong enough to beat up Skarmory through the defenses. Am I just not up to date on Skarmory sets and I'm missing that Skarmory learns Seismic Toss or something to win a damage race?

E: Wait does it just run it out of PP with Roost?

I guess it can set up hazards on it then Whirlwind it out and undo all the boosting it had done, leaving it vulnerable to getting ding danged next time it comes out.
Though honestly Ferrothorn might be better. Can Thunder Wave it if it's not running Motor Drive, and whittle it down with Rocky Helmet and Leech Seed.

this is dumb why am I theorycrafting for a thing that's bad and fake?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PMush Perfect posted:

If they're just running off the pre-built scripts, why did it take a full team two years to make?

Two? Nine was the number I heard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

homeless hungry plz help posted:

I guess it can set up hazards on it then Whirlwind it out and undo all the boosting it had done, leaving it vulnerable to getting ding danged next time it comes out.
Though honestly Ferrothorn might be better. Can Thunder Wave it if it's not running Motor Drive, and whittle it down with Rocky Helmet and Leech Seed.

this is dumb why am I theorycrafting for a thing that's bad and fake?

I just want to point out

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Dodrio Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 205-242 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You run Fire Fang and this thing eats Skarmory, Ferrothorn etc alive.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 13, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
For those of you theorycrafting about Tracton vs. Skarmory and Heatran and the like, consider that the Uranium dex is limited. It has only some of the official 'mons, and the pokes you're talking about may not even be in. Now there are probably worse things out there, but not all standard competitive mons are in there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The common response is "Yeah but this is a fan game only the hardcores are playing it anyway."

The worst part is these people are typically surrounded by sycophants to whom the response is "It's just a fan game, why do you care? Why should any effort be put in? Why are you being scrutinizing?" And I don't get that mindset. Who wants to just be told "Yeah, looks good." And not receive any proper feedback?

It's the same mindset as an artist saying "but that's just my style" when given feedback on their drawings. They don't want to improve, they just want to be praised. And the internet is full of hugboxes that enable that kind of behavior.

It's probably more common when it comes to videogames, though, because there are so few game developers in these communities that few are willing to risk alienating one by giving honest feedback. I mean, sure, the dev's output may not be all that good, but it's better than nothing.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
"This game is bad because it focuses on hardcore fans."

*two pages of technical discussion on the merits of a backhoe dragon*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Welcome to any LP thread of a franchise RPG, also known as "Let's just have another megathread"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Added Space posted:

This game is bad because it didn't have anyone to winnow out the garbage, to make sure the art was consistent, to playtest the starter trio to make sure none of them got turbofucked, or to tell the programmer that his edgy story was stupid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
We haven't even really gotten into the worst way the grass starter gets turbofucked.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Added Space posted:

The problem is, this is what you have to do to counter it. You don't need some special set or trick to make this thing rampage over a normal team, if you gave this pokemon to a gym leader with AI more sophisticated than "act randomly" they could wipe your entire team if you didn't specifically have a counter set up or were very very overlevelled in a game that's stingy with exp. You can't even wear it down 1v6 because it's a speed threat and kills you before you can get a shot in. Considering that they have the contrary overheater, "the fourth gym might have three of these" is a real concern.

Also I fail to see the issue in complaining that a game is aimed too much at a certain demographic and then also criticising how successfully it is as that.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
it isnt successful because it's like having to play against a hundred different competitive teams which require specific strategies to beat and then it's not designed to make it easy for you to switch to new strategies because the game has piss poor experience gain and also you need to be at full health but the pokemon centers are far away, encounter rates are too high, and the game barely gives you any money so you cant buy potions or repels (and also if you want to, say, catch all the new pokemon, that costs money too). the game is just bad from every angle. its hard, but it doesnt give you the tools to overcome its toughness without having to grind for hours or cheating.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

if you gave this pokemon to a gym leader

haha

haha wouldn't that be bad

heh

:shepicide:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Whirlwind can bounce it out if it tries to boost.
Skar doesn't easily win, but it stalemates hard and robs it of momentum, which can be almost as good.

Edit I gently caress around with RPG Maker a lot, so there's all these little design decisions in games like this that just loving baffle me. If they're digging hard into custom coding, why are there such basic 'this could be fixed super simply' issues like not being able to get kicked back to a Pokemon center when you lose? If they're just running off the pre-built scripts, why did it take a full team two years to make?

TL;DR I am very upset about free fangames about technicolor dogfights.

If I remember right, when Tie lost, he got booted back to the pokemon center, not a full reset.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

hot drat this is not a good game.

there's been some questionable poo poo sometimes in the main series, but fuuuuck me, this is unbalanced.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Dragonwagon posted:

haha

haha wouldn't that be bad

heh

:shepicide:

Yeah, I mean, why would you give an overpowered sentient backhoe to a gym leader? That would be bad game design.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just looked at a competitive tier listing for Uranium and welp. There is always more, and it is always worse.

Added Space posted:

There are usually two kinds of hardcore fans: those that can appreciate the merits of having good balance and accessibility, and grognards.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

I just looked at a competitive tier listing for Uranium and welp. There is always more, and it is always worse.

There are usually two kinds of hardcore fans: those that can appreciate the merits of having good balance and accessibility, and grognards.

The pokemon games have usually been decently good at catering to both, by making the regular game fairly easyish and letting the grognards have their fun with the competitive scene. That said, I can kind of see why a grognard would want to have a game where the main game also caters to their tastes, but they really should have made it be an optional mode instead. So you can play with the "you have to know exactly what you're doing and then minmax the poo poo out of everything" mode if you like that sort of thing, and normal players can just ignore it completely. Basically, instead of Normal and Nuzlocke, it should have been Normal, Nuzlocke and Hardcore as the 3 options (also, they should have probably TESTED the loving grass started in nuzlocke, cause that is just inexcusable idiocy).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
In my playthrough of Moon I picked up a Misdreavus on the first island and she single-handedly trashed the next several hours of play without much effort. And that's with stats and attacks that are every way inferior to Tracton (25 less base attack, 15 less base speed, 15 less power on the STAB attack).

Backhoe dragon would totally roll over an official Pokemon game really, really badly.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Considering that they have the contrary overheater, "the fourth gym might have three of these" is a real concern.

That's ridiculous, even this game isn't badly designed enough to give something with this kind of ability to snowball to a gym leader that early.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

homeless hungry plz help posted:

That's ridiculous, even this game isn't badly designed enough to give something with this kind of ability to snowball to a gym leader that early.

The creators specifically created and added a new mode, unique to the game, but failed to notice/fix what is effectively a guaranteed CTD within the first 10 minutes of gameplay if you play that special unique mode and choose a certain one of the three starters.

This is Pokemon Uranium. There is no such thing as "badly designed enough."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All they need to do is add a difficulty setting for the official games. I think there was a hard mode in BW, but it was only after you beat the game and didn't change move pools or AI or anything, just bumped levels up.

But I imagine that the time and effort it would take to make a satisfying hard mode wouldn't be worth it for the relatively small audience of hardcore players. Who would then just say it's still too easy anyway.

Much more cost effective to keep it in the competitive scene and the post-game gauntlets. Your battle frontiers and subways and maisons and trees and whatnot. So the hardcore people can blow through the story with little effort to get to the stuff they want, and everyone else can just play the game without worrying about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"This game is made by and for hardcore players" = fine.

"This game is made by and for hardcore players, and does it poorly" = hilarious

"This game is made by and for hardcore players, and has so many bafflingly bad design decisions, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a troll-game." = Pokemon Uranium

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 13, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Begemot posted:

All they need to do is add a difficulty setting for the official games. I think there was a hard mode in BW, but it was only after you beat the game and didn't change move pools or AI or anything, just bumped levels up.

But I imagine that the time and effort it would take to make a satisfying hard mode wouldn't be worth it for the relatively small audience of hardcore players. Who would then just say it's still too easy anyway.

Much more cost effective to keep it in the competitive scene and the post-game gauntlets. Your battle frontiers and subways and maisons and trees and whatnot. So the hardcore people can blow through the story with little effort to get to the stuff they want, and everyone else can just play the game without worrying about it.

Honestly, they should just release standalone challenges where they put out custom AI trainers designed to wreck you. Hell, they could even do puzzle modes where you try to win at a disadvantage with a premade team against an enemy AI team.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Dirk the Average posted:

Honestly, they should just release standalone challenges where they put out custom AI trainers designed to wreck you. Hell, they could even do puzzle modes where you try to win at a disadvantage with a premade team against an enemy AI team.

This specifically is why I'm really salty over the Battle Factory from the Battle Frontier in all generations past gen IV. Using random rental pokemon against other random rentals and then swapping one out between fights kept things interesting and was a bigger test of adaptability and how much you know about Pokemon in general than "I'll just use this sweeper to sweep 100 fights in a row."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can plant berries in soil like this, consuming the berry but letting it grow into a new tree that gives more than one in return. But without a watering can there isn't much return for these. Where do we get a watering can?

In the post-game, after the final boss.

Welcome to Uranium.

That's really ridiculous. Also, the original Pokemon look more like Neopets or something.

Pixeltendo posted:

Boy some of these new pokemon look like they came straight outta neopets.

I see I'm not alone on that opinion.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So apparently the guy behind this had announced he just sent a job application to Game Freak after spending weeks trashing Nintendo for the C&D and SuMo for not being like his perfect uber game.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I'm sure he'll make a great janitor.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lysandre? Is that you?

Robindaybird posted:

So apparently the guy behind this had announced he just sent a job application to Game Freak after spending weeks trashing Nintendo for the C&D and SuMo for not being like his perfect uber game.

:allears:

Mega64 posted:

Of all the original Pokemon we could add, yes, let's choose Dunsparce.

I also always thought the one thing Pokemon lacked was creepy stalkers.

Dunsparce is cool.

That being said, it does not need a random evolution.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm sure GameFreak will love some of his unique takes on Pokemon designs. Can't say which ones I'm thinking of, but they're very :allears: and I can't wait until we see them.

I'm still kind of dumbstruck by how easy it is to break the game in Nuzlocke mode. I can forgive bugs just slipping in, but one so early in the advertised game mode, caused by a scripted battle that almost always plays by special rules? All while the game is mocking you during your inevitable journey to a crash?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just saw Garlikid.

I am afraid to traverse this rabbit hole deeper.

Straight White Shark posted:

Coconut crab is the first Uranium design I genuinely like :3:

Agreed.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 14, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

all these fakemons smack so hard of deviantart

like, hardcore deviantart

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

Link? I need to see this for myself.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Both creators do have DeviantArt profiles, so yeah.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

HardDiskD posted:

Both creators do have DeviantArt profiles, so yeah.

Well, I mean, so do many, many great artists, so being on DA doesn't innately say something negative about someone's skills.

That said, yeah, these designs are a bit... ehhhhhhh. So far I've liked maybe one or two as concepts. Maybe. The dev should really have commissioned one spriter for the whole dex, and made sure they could do the same style as the real Pokemon games (or at least as close to as possible). This mish-mash of sprite quality doesn't do the game any favours, that's for sure. And that's far and away the least of the issues with the game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There is one particular really loving good pokemon design

it also won't appear until like the last 3 hours of the game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are plenty good artists on DeviantArt. :colbert:

That being said, the quality of this sprite art does evoke memories of the more amateurish side of said website.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Hammurabi posted:

The creators specifically created and added a new mode, unique to the game, but failed to notice/fix what is effectively a guaranteed CTD within the first 10 minutes of gameplay if you play that special unique mode and choose a certain one of the three starters.

This is Pokemon Uranium. There is no such thing as "badly designed enough."

Sure, and next you'll tell me it has Dragon Claw.

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

Sociopastry posted:

I can't wait to see what the fake mega-evolutions look like. Bets on how many of them have angel wings for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Added Space posted:

This game is bad because it doesn't bother to do the little quality of life things that could've made it better than it actually is.
That doesn't mean it didn't get everything wrong, some of the Pokemon and moves are pretty good, artistically and fuctionaly. But what it does get wrong it gets wrong for no reason.
If you were going to give the starters other abilities, why wouldn't you make sure they were at least balance toward one another instead of staffing the grass starter.
If you make a Nuzlocke mode, you should at least make sure you can't soft lock your game because you didn't bother bug testing.
If you have berries in your game, why would you not include some way of getting more until the goddamn post game.

This game isn't bad because it's hard. No one give a drat that it is. What they care about are the frankly contrived decisions made in this game time and time again for artificial difficultly. Because altering AI or making competent enemy teams were too difficult or just plain uping the difficulty curve. They didn't do any of that, and that makes what should be at least an okay fangame into a slog, and one that makes you want to just walk away from.

• Locked thread