Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think you can do Horizon without nav points because points of interest on the map aren't labeled until you visit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If any franchise could benefit from a high fantasy reboot, it's Tony Hawk's Legend of Pro Skater.

I want pro skater on the Switch!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mood today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh52qgkK1Ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhxq5PrUbWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojAm6A0GjFk

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 13, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

more please

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Mann posted:

The premiere ep was awesome, being on Adult Swim let them get really weird with it and since it's a set 8-episode series there's going to be an overarching plot and a set ending.

From what little we hear of him so far the soundalike they get to voice Aku is just off enough to remind you that Mako is dead and gone, but that's just one of those things you have to roll with.

It was like that with Avatar too. There's only one Mako, sadly.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is BotW in the running for best open-world game ever? It's kind of sounding that way

Going forward, it's going to be the most dissected game by publishers.

Oh, and Pokemon Go too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Good news for fans of streaming services who don't have a PS4, they're putting PS4 games on PlayStation Now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's interesting how Nintendo can still make games that serve as big market events despite the shrinking share of the hardware they run on. Part of that is inertia from their old popularity, but Splatoon was a new IP and shockingly big considering that plus being on the WiiU.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Phantasium posted:

Good news for fans of streaming services who don't have a PS4, they're putting PS4 games on PlayStation Now.

Streaming games seems like you'd run into lag or performance issues especially with more resource-intensive ones, how does it work in practice?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

Streaming games seems like you'd run into lag or performance issues especially with more resource-intensive ones, how does it work in practice?

It's just a video stream, it shouldn't lag any more or less than games for older platforms. How much work the console is doing isn't really a factor.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

God drat. I may actually get to play Horizon one of these days.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kai Tave posted:

If you're hooked up directly to a cable line or whatever you'll be Ok. Resolution would depend on how fast your internet is, of course, but reducing lag is the most important thing. It's untenably laggy on wifi, for example, regardless of your actual network speed.

There's a week-long trial, so just give it a shot and see how it works for you if you're interested.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

The premiere ep was awesome, being on Adult Swim let them get really weird with it and since it's a set 8-episode series there's going to be an overarching plot and a set ending.

From what little we hear of him so far the soundalike they get to voice Aku is just off enough to remind you that Mako is dead and gone, but that's just one of those things you have to roll with.
Cool, I don't care that much about the original voice actors but I really liked the original show atmosphere/pacing/action so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Motto posted:

It's interesting how Nintendo can still make games that serve as big market events despite the shrinking share of the hardware they run on. Part of that is inertia from their old popularity, but Splatoon was a new IP and shockingly big considering that plus being on the WiiU.

Even with the Wii U and 3DS underperforming their predecessors, Nintendo has continued to be a top publisher. During 2015, they were #1 in France over Electronic Arts. In Japan, they were the #1 publisher for over ten years.

I suppose one way to look at it is that Nintendo is among the top publishers when their consoles aren't selling well and they're the best performing publisher when their consoles do better. For example, New Super Mario Bros. for the DS sold 30.8 million units which it just under the entirety of Capcom's Megman franchise put together in its 30 year history.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

colin trashman moriarty was kicked out of Kinda Funny so I guess sometimes there are repercussions to being an idiot

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Quest For Glory II posted:

colin trashman moriarty was kicked out of Kinda Funny so I guess sometimes there are repercussions to being an idiot

He's going to be the new games editor for Glenn Beck's site.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good luck to colin whatever on his spinoff conservative game website Sidescroller

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a friend looking to buy a console for his 8 year old, I was thinking PlayStation, because that's what I'm familiar with and it seems like PS4 is doing way better than xbox these days. He thinks Xbox might be better for kids.

Is there any reason xbox would be better for a kid besides it being cheaper?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
xbox is not better for anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

I have a friend looking to buy a console for his 8 year old, I was thinking PlayStation, because that's what I'm familiar with and it seems like PS4 is doing way better than xbox these days. He thinks Xbox might be better for kids.

Not a tall. The X-Box's exclusives are all almost M-rated titles. As far as kid-friendly goes the best choice is a Nintendo system but after that X-Box and PS4 are about the same.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Snowy posted:

He thinks Xbox might be better for kids.

Why? By this metric, the Switch is the no-brainer option.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It builds character

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

xbone has rare replay and thus banjo kazooie + viva piñata

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

Why? By this metric, the Switch is the no-brainer option.

A 3DS is probably easier to find at the moment.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Snowy posted:

Nope, and ps4 actually has some good exclusive kids games like Rachet and Clank. Unless I'm missing something there aren't any xbox exclusives that are appropriate for an 8 y/o.

Horizon Zero Dawn is basically a YA novel, btw. If they're old enough for The Hunger Games they should be good for that one.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

A 3DS is probably easier to find at the moment.
This is true. PS4 it is, then!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
PS4 has Overcooked (or, as my and my roommates call it "Choppy Game!"), which will not only teach children the value of teamwork, but it has controls for two people to use the same controller. Like, on person uses the right half of it, one person uses the left half.

We have never tried this, because it sounds like a control scheme invented to troll people.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PS4 games coming to PS Now, if they ever make the lag not bad then maybe i'll actually play. something from ps4. idk. horizon? i kinda drew a blank on ps4 games that are up my alley (for example, not bloodborne)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yakuza 0 all day ery day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, between Xbox and PS4 for kids' games the latter wins out every time. A Switch wouldn't really be great since they've got build issues atm and the kid would probably destroy it, plus there's like four games for it and it'll drop in price soon enough. There's a ton of kid-friendly stuff on PSN because of Sony's support for weird colorful indie stuff and electronic toys. Xbox is more about guns and space marines and stuff. You also might consider a Wii U since they're gonna drop in price soon and are definitely kid-centric, but I assume he doesn't want to have to buy another console any time soon so I'd go with the PlayStation

Though ofc most games these days are crossplatform so it may not matter much...

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, between Xbox and PS4 for kids' games the latter wins out every time. A Switch wouldn't really be great since they've got build issues atm and the kid would probably destroy it, plus there's like four games for it and it'll drop in price soon enough. There's a ton of kid-friendly stuff on PSN because of Sony's support for weird colorful indie stuff and electronic toys. Xbox is more about guns and space marines and stuff.

Though ofc most games these days are crossplatform so it may not matter much...

You know, I immediately regretted soft-recommending a known broken (or easily liable to break) launch console.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sony kid-friendly exclusives: Knack, Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders, Tearaway...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There needs to be more games where you play as a cat.

Not an anthropomorphic cat that wisecracks and wears clothes, just like, a kitty cat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh, another PS4 game for kids!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QnGdtQFJc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

There needs to be more games where you play as a cat.

Not an anthropomorphic cat that wisecracks and wears clothes, just like, a kitty cat.

"HK Project", that game where you play as a cat in a Kowloon Walled City-inspired city is still in dev...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That cat is dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

"HK Project", that game where you play as a cat in a Kowloon Walled City-inspired city is still in dev...

I know, I really want to play it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

socks......

wikipedia posted:

He eventually lost the position of principal Clinton pet in 1997 when the Clintons acquired Buddy, a Labrador Retriever.

Socks found Buddy's intrusion intolerable: according to Hillary Clinton, Socks "despised Buddy from first sight, instantly and forever." Bill Clinton said, "I did better with ... the Palestinians and the Israelis than I've done with Socks and Buddy."[5] When the Clintons left the White House in 2001 they took Buddy to their new home, but left Socks under the care of Bill Clinton's secretary, Betty Currie. Buddy would die within a year, being hit by a car in 2002.[6]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Oh great, another "Rush Limbaugh is just trolling" theory.

I would generally be rolling my eyes too but I know for an actual fact that Michael Wiener is, no kidding, just trolling and is actually a gay stoner hippie. Dude I know used to work at his radio station in SF. It's fuckin' weird man. And it's not even a secret, the guy wrote dozens of books on plants and natural alternatives to medicine and used to hang out with Allen Ginsberg to the point where there's a letter in the Ginsberg Archives from Michael "Savage" Weiner to him:

quote:

Dear Allen:

After speaking to you on the phone about how nice the black-white thing is in mountain villages in Fiji, I walked downstairs to the school courtyard, where a little-known black brother looks at me, takes my hand gently, we do some old-world Lower East Side finger tricks, and he peacefully kisses the back of my hand-I do the same for his hand. I told him about our brief talk, and he says, "I must have felt the vibes."

Michael Weiner

• Locked thread