Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I have had it happen with two different controllers it's pretty much hosed. Buy a new one. $60 is a small price to pay for not going slowly insane. Check another game just t be sure but it is probably the controller.

Yeah, it's not super frequent, but it's about 2-3 times an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

precision posted:

The Vita not having proper L2/R2 buttons is a war crime

The vita is actually really good, but yeah, see above. It bugs me more than it should that the joysticks don't click in as buttons. Remote play implementation is actually not too bad all things considered, especially if developers design a game-specific control scheme. Remote play is largely useless, at least to me.

I know it's a running joke but it really has a surprising amount of non-anime/JRPG games honestly. And some that are tolerable like ys memories of celceta and FFX.

I love mine and don't regret it one bit. I think it was a bit ahead of its time, though. Has a good standby mode. It has a ton of nifty features that are surprising for a handheld. Bluetooth audio/keyboard, cross-platform party chat, use as co-op PS4 controller, etc

poo poo, a lot of stuff the switch doesn't have. Decent online play? Oh yeah, you can backup/transfer saves, lmao

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also to give some credit to Nintendo the wii-u pro controllers internal battery lasts an insanely long time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing about the Vita, is that while it's pretty much abandonware as far as their original goal is concerned, it has one of the most extensive game libraries out there. Like, if you are nostalgic for just about any decent PSX game it's there. Any good PSP game. Any popular PC indie. Weab poo poo look no further. It's not the console in your pocket we all wanted but it's a really good handheld in its own right.

I still think it's a really nice piece of hardware aside from some ergonomic issues and the ridiculous memory cards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing about the Vita, is that while it's pretty much abandonware as far as their original goal is concerned, it has one of the most extensive game libraries out there. Like, if you are nostalgic for just about any decent PSX game it's there. Any good PSP game. Any popular PC indie. Weab poo poo look no further. It's not the console in your pocket we all wanted but it's a really good handheld in its own right.

I still think it's a really nice piece of hardware aside from some ergonomic issues and the ridiculous memory cards.

The battery pack grips add really good ergonomics

still no FF7 Crisis Core :( and won't ever be cause of licensing issues

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

It's also still being supported with games both digitally and at retail, and is still in production in Asia/Japan. It somehow outlived the Wii U.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Beat Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and holy poo poo what a fantastic game! The combat is wonderful, the tactics are pretty deep, the graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. I remember adoring the original game when it came out and always defending it. Glad to see that it is so much better received with the remaster/remake. Though, I did play the game in "Classic Mode" and the combat was notably lacking. Then again I just played the introduction stage...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

It's also still being supported with games both digitally and at retail, and is still in production in Asia/Japan. It somehow outlived the Wii U.

I wouldn't really say "outlived", as the WiiU at least had the full support of Nintendo all the way to the end of its lifespan even if releases were VERY sparse and only coming from Nintendo themselves. The Vita has been pretty much "Oh, right. THAT thing :nallears:" as far as Sony's concerned for the last two years. Outside of Japan they're dead and gone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The weird/creepy anime game rabbit hole goes deep on the Vita

I think it was the Vita but I can't find the trailer where you're a....peeping Tom? Idk, I think you just took pics up girls skirts and the trailer had the dude rolling on the ground it was hilarious

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's a PS4 game, full 1080p HD pervert simulator

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My Vita has been in the closet since the last time I went in a trip but I used my Vita TV again yesterday. Love that thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I still use the Vita to play indie games and old rpg's when I'm in the mood. In some universe, it was designed without the 3G, back touch, and expensive proprietary memory and Sony paid the steep price for a proper MonHun and it's a moderate success in the west.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a good time with Dragon age 1 (on pc), didn't touch DA2 due to its reputation, should i give inquisition a whirl on ps4? Its only like 8 quid.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I still use the Vita to play indie games and old rpg's when I'm in the mood. In some universe, it was designed without the 3G, back touch, and expensive proprietary memory and Sony paid the steep price for a proper MonHun and it's a moderate success in the west.

Haha you couldn't use the 3G for gaming though or I think even downloading or streaming poo poo. It was just for the browser and mail etc lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ramagamma posted:

I had a good time with Dragon age 1 (on pc), didn't touch DA2 due to its reputation, should i give inquisition a whirl on ps4? Its only like 8 quid.

Depends on wether a single player MMO with typical Bioware writing sounds appealing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

No.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ramagamma posted:

It's a fine game with a lot of fetch quest bloat that has been well-documented by the helpful shorthand, "leave the Hinterlands." If you trust yourself to not feel obligated to 100% everything or if you're just really into the Dragon Age setting then you'll probably like it. Wait to buy the GOTY edition on sale because it comes with all the DLC, including Trespasser which is like one big extended epilogue.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ramagamma posted:

If you are the kind of person with no self control who has to do everything you see on a map in an open world game (like me) then I would only recommend it if you've got nothing else to be playing right now, a concept that I would find astounding. Pretty much the worst sidequests I've seen in an rpg this generation. If instead you typically just do the main story and maybe some sidequests that pique your interest then I imagine you might really like DA:I, since I felt the main story and main character side-missions were generally interesting and I enjoyed the combat enough. But everything related to being an open world game was 100% hosed.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 13, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

inquisition is a solid game that you'll probably enjoy if you got into origins (you are right to avoid 2 tho because that is an awful game). it's also one of the only games on ps4 with crpg combat, so if you're into that then your options are limited. there are better rpgs on the platform, but for that cheap it's a good investment

and yea, don't stay in the hinterlands. you'll get bored and quit real fast if you do

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I did all the hinterlands stuff before going anywhere else and it was good

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was excited to play Disc Jam or whatever but then saw it was online only. No vs AI mode.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Finally got in to Horizon zero dawn and.....drat. Way more fun then i was expecting
I honestly expected far cry primal but with robots
I'm finding myself enjoying the combat and exploring the world immensely.

Finally put on helldivers. Fun as hell but gently caress the cybernetic people!

The only question i really have left is if i should buy stardew valley for the 7th time, gifted copies out, or not
I mean i just bought a ps4 pro and a 4k tv. Like.....seems like maybe i should play more pretty games first

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

I was excited to play Disc Jam or whatever but then saw it was online only. No vs AI mode.

Just play Rocket League instead.*

* This is an applicable solution to any gaming/general life quandary.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Disc Jam isn't bad to play online right now. Probably because it's free, but I haven't run into anyone way above my skill level like I would in a fighting game.

The real problem is getting into a match to begin with. The matchmaking is hit or miss. But once you're in, their netcode is surprisingly good for a game about twitch reflexes.

edit: But yeah, it's not going to be the next Rocket League or anything. Speaking of which, RL has a pretty sweet new mode dropping next week for free.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haha you couldn't use the 3G for gaming though or I think even downloading or streaming poo poo. It was just for the browser and mail etc lol

You could sync trophies and do other PSN bullshit like Near. I think Google Maps worked over 3g for data downloads before Google pulled the plug.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

wa27 posted:

Disc Jam isn't bad to play online right now. Probably because it's free, but I haven't run into anyone way above my skill level like I would in a fighting game.

The real problem is getting into a match to begin with. The matchmaking is hit or miss. But once you're in, their netcode is surprisingly good for a game about twitch reflexes.

edit: But yeah, it's not going to be the next Rocket League or anything. Speaking of which, RL has a pretty sweet new mode dropping next week for free.

I already have the 50 win trophy somehow despite feeling only average at the game, and I've only run into maybe 3 people who could beat me with consistency. Learn how the disc bounces off the walls and you can just catch everything. Most people have really bad positioning that you can punish.

Disc Jam Tricks (1 v 1 mainly):
- Play Makenna. She's fast enough that you can rarely punish her positioning, has wicked curve on her throws, and throw speed isn't really impacted. Stanton is too slow, and the Ninja throws too slow.
- You want to hang out near where you start honestly. You can inch up a bit if you are getting punished by lobs, but playing neutral allows you to defend pretty much everything and read bounces.
- If you are on the wall, bouncing it off the same wall is really effective. Worst case scenario you get enough space to get back to neutral, best case you score. Throwing it straight rarely works unless the person is anticipating the bounce.
- On your serves you can go two ways: you can either try to shellshock them with a purple curve, or you can throw diagonally just past the net at their side. If you can do the fancy skip try it. Only throw straight if the person starts anticipating you playing the sides and starts moving immediately.
- If the opponent is playing way back, especially if they are Stanton, then lob it right in front of the net. This works a surprising amount of the time.
- Same idea of lobbing to punish position but if you are both playing next to the same wall. Just lob it in front of the net by the opposite wall.
- The only other circumstance you should ever lob is if the person is playing the net and you want to push them off briefly.
- Only slide at the very last moment. If you slide early or try to slide twice to cover ground you will fail.
- This will sound like git gud, but try to learn how the disc moves off the wall. Everything can be predicted and defended from neutral with Makenna ( or any character that's not Stanton). You may catch it right at the net, but it's a defense. The wall skip is the only throw with a sound effect so you can anticipate that. Everything else comes with time. legit like 75% of my scores come from returning the serve because most don't know what to do once you defend that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

We're getting a new Virtual On game!

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/14911440/virtual-on-ps4-playstation-vita-certain-magical-index-sega-dengeki-bunko

It's a visual novel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'A Certain Magical Virtual-On appears to be a narrative-focused spinoff of the Virtual-On series, according to a translation of the news from Gematsu, though high-speed mech combat will still be the game’s focus.'

Doesn't sound like any VN I've played

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We're getting a new Virtual On game!

Oh hell yeah!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's a visual novel.

Oh God damnit.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Doesn't sound like any VN I've played

I'm sure the hours of expository dialog got lost in translation for the US Sega Saturn release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wa27 posted:

drat, that looks awesome.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wa27 posted:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, or if it's as cool as it sounds while syncing up to that rad song... but it looks pretty cool?

What exactly is supposed to be happening in this mode?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, or if it's as cool as it sounds while syncing up to that rad song... but it looks pretty cool?

What exactly is supposed to be happening in this mode?

Basically the floor breaks away as the ball hits it. Land it in a hole on the opponent's half to score. It's all about keeping the ball from hitting the floor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still love the multiple playthrough concept of Nier and it's executed even better this time.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The best part about Nier was that one hour into the game my work called and sent me on a six day work trip. Well played, Yoko.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still love the multiple playthrough concept of Nier and it's executed even better this time.

I got really bored of it in the first game since it was mostly the same with some differences sprinkled in, but they nailed the execution in automata. each playthrough changes things up a ton and I like it a lot. there are more story differences, but more importantly the way they add in different mechanics or change up existing ones is fantastic

also spoilers about the 3rd playthrough: a2 is insanely fun to play and I wish you got her sooner. I can't believe that they hid devil trigger and taunt behind two playthroughs. tho hacking as 9s is still by far the easier combat will ever be

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Day of the Tentacle on PS4 is SOOOO good, what an excellent remaster. You all probably have it free from PS+

I just started it cos I think I'm giving up on Rise of Tomb Raider, the story is doing nothing for me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i more or less never touch my vita or 3ds for that matter but i bought both of them for long trips where i would be in the mountains and get exactly one bar of coverage on my phone and have absolutely nothing to do after it gets dark. its fun to chill out on the porch in the rocking chairs with the grandparents and play some mother loving anime

that vita oled screen is loving bonkers

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got really bored of it in the first game since it was mostly the same with some differences sprinkled in, but they nailed the execution in automata. each playthrough changes things up a ton and I like it a lot. there are more story differences, but more importantly the way they add in different mechanics or change up existing ones is fantastic

also spoilers about the 3rd playthrough: a2 is insanely fun to play and I wish you got her sooner. I can't believe that they hid devil trigger and taunt behind two playthroughs. tho hacking as 9s is still by far the easier combat will ever be

I have to disagree with this. Route B is intensely boring and the game would definitely be better with the very few story differences in it just being in route A to begin with. Route C has been making it up to me so far but going back to 9s has really killed my enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cracked and ordered Horizon tonight, was swearing to myself i would wait for a price drop but the positive buzz has been too much.