Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's something I think gets overlooked a lot in discussion of RPG difficulty:

A lot of people get skewed views of RPG difficulty because they approach it after reading guides or hints on the internet or whatnot which has a disproportionate influence on turn-based RPGs than it would on other games, as a major part of RPGs is figuring out what the most effective tools you have are and guides let you skip that step. Bosses in RPGs have to be designed around the idea the player is experimenting and searching for tactics rather than insta-jumping to the strongest best move and it stands out.

FF6, for example, is an easy game when played that way because even if you don't find Illumina and Ultima you're still able to deal absurd amounts of damage with basic abilities and very few enemies have meaningful gimmicks. FFV is its polar opposite where bosses can be challenging but you have enough tools to win with almost any setup but generally really breaking the game involves a ton of grinding or doing spadework a lot of players won't.

When you're discussing how challenging a game is it's worth remembering that "played with a guide" or "went in blind" are also a big factor on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elentor posted:

To be fair a lot of LPs end like that.

Yeah, I tried about eight years ago to LP Final Fantasy Legends 1 here (SaGa 1) after having done the second game. About halfway into the game and LP I just hated playing it and didn't want to touch the game again. And thinking now, I can't honestly think of anything from that game beyond chainsawing the Creator in half.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My first FF and also my first RPG was the original Final Fantasy. I was 5 and I didn't understand how to play it though. The first RPG that I really got hooked on was FF6

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's true except when talking about FF8, which is good and furthermore the best.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rirse posted:

Yeah, I tried about eight years ago to LP Final Fantasy Legends 1 here (SaGa 1) after having done the second game. About halfway into the game and LP I just hated playing it and didn't want to touch the game again. And thinking now, I can't honestly think of anything from that game beyond chainsawing the Creator in half.

I empathize with you man. I remember Louis CK talking about how after a while you can't joke about the obvious stuff anymore if you're making new material so you're just digging deeper and everything becomes weird. That's pretty much how it feels to write an LP. There's only so much you can talk about a game.

A lot of oldschools LPs are pretty much a diary of someone's slow descent into madness.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My 1st entry to LP and to SA was through Leovinus's FF8 LP. I legitimately loved that LP. Granted I was a dumb teenager at the time. Shame he has taken it down though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sefal posted:

My 1st entry to LP and to SA was through Leovinus's FF8 LP. I legitimately loved that LP. Granted I was a dumb teenager at the time. Shame he has taken it down though.

That's the second greatest FF LP of all time. Cool Ghost has a good one going right now, but nothing will compare to Elentor's FF7 LP. IMHO.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That's the second greatest FF LP of all time. Cool Ghost has a good one going right now, but nothing will compare to Elentor's FF7 LP. IMHO.

That's how I find this thread! I'm currently playing FF7 on the PC while simultaneously reading Elentors LP.

It's also great for reminding me about all the neat things to pick up on the way.

The Steam version has a lot of issues and it takes quite a bit of modding to get it working well. Some of the modpacks I downloaded came with graphic updates which are "okay" I never understood people who put extensive effort into modding graphics. If a game feels good then graphics makes no difference.

The mods also aim to fix some translation errors. The problem with that is that they went a bit too far.

(I appreciate finally finding out what the Bugenhagens ball was all about)

They changed the character names to what their names are supposed to sound like

And I just can't accept new names. They also renamed a large amount of the materias an items.

Including the spell names from FF8.

Something they improved on was making trash enemy death animations quicker. They also fixed the frame rate. The PC frame rate is bugged for some reason. Making things like Tifas limit break near impossible to use well.

I feel like they went a bit too far trying to fix dialogue.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 13, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I hate everything about that post and would rather play the PSX original.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember the chocobo jockey manager, Esto Gaza.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember the old version of the translation patch allowed you to keep canon names. No Leno or whatever, only dialogue would be fixed.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember the old version of the translation patch allowed you to keep canon names. No Leno or whatever, only dialogue would be fixed.

It reminds me of the android version of final fantasy tactics. They "fixed" translation errors and just ended up making things worse. Part of it being fixing names.

I mean yeah FFT has some bad translations but I got so used to them that it became proper for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I will call anyone that prefers the old translation as crazy and also refer them to my link for 20 dollar towels

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

quote:

Including the spell names from FF8.

If I'm not horribly mistaken, this is the spell naming scheme FF has had since the first game from 30 years ago but they had to cut it down from ケアルガ to CUR3 or whatever it was because of space limitations and it stuck until FF8's localization used the original names.

Most of those changes are unnecessary or just wrong but that one's not too far out there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only thing I would maybe go to bat for in FFT's old translation is Algus, because Argath is an horrible name to say.
But, considering it belongs to an horrible piece of poo poo, it's very fitting too...

How on earth can someone look at "Yrena" and think "yeah, that looks good, I'll show this to people on the internet". I'm down with going to the -aga spell naming system though.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kanfy posted:

If I'm not horribly mistaken, this is the spell naming scheme FF has had since the first game from 30 years ago but they had to cut it down from ケアルガ to CUR3 or whatever it was because of space limitations and it stuck until FF8's localization used the original names.

Most of those changes are unnecessary or just wrong but that one's not too far out there.

I had no idea. Nice info.

The mod also changes Dynes like that "Shinra only brings artillery" to "Shinra only brings bullets and bullshit"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The thing about spell names though is that LIT3 is conveys the same idea as Thundaga. Sort of. Thundaga feels more like a "fantasy" name for something instead of just appending a number to a name. On the other hand, thunder is a sound, not actual electricity.

"Yrena" looks awkward and dumb though, as do those high poly models walking around the low-res background. Blugh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thunder is never going to break association with electricity at this point. See also: Pokemon.

Bolt, Boltra, Boltaga?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lecky, Leckra, Leckyga

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

This is terrible to a charming degree :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Electro, Elektra, Electic Guitar

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gackt, Gacktesis, Bujingackt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Catberry posted:

Reload and leave him in there, imo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The old version of FFT is automatically better because it had the battle cries and the new version didn't.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Confession: I've never finished a Final Fantasy game (not counting the MMOs). The furthest I got was VI, where I stalled out trying to get every end-game collectible when I really should have just gotten nut-punching Kefka over with.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

The old version of FFT is automatically better because it had the battle cries and the new version didn't.

A drat shame really. Some of them were great

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

True. They added a lot of charm. But the newer translation is a million times clearer, to an extent I wish they had done with VII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Catberry posted:

This is somehow more awkward than the original translation.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Catberry posted:

Fan translations like this are always strange, they go for authenticity at all costs with stuff like terms and names but these lines for example are far more accurate in the original translation. Even in Japanese he just says in a plain manner that he'll probably get more nightmares than he had up until that point.

quote:

The mod also changes Dynes like that "Shinra only brings artillery" to "Shinra only brings bullets and bullshit"

This one's not as bad, I kinda like it. In the original line he speaks of "bullets and irrationality" (or nonsense/absurdity/illogicality/whatever term referring to lack of reason you prefer), so it is closer than "artillery and stupid excuses".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How many instances of nakama are there so far?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This is somehow more awkward than the original translation.
I hope that remake Vincent is chuuni as gently caress.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kanfy posted:

Fan translations like this are always strange, they go for authenticity at all costs with stuff like terms and names but these lines for example are far more accurate in the original translation. Even in Japanese he just says in a plain manner that he'll probably get more nightmares than he had up until that point.

This one's not as bad, I kinda like it. In the original line he speaks of "bullets and irrationality" (or nonsense/absurdity/illogicality/whatever term referring to lack of reason you prefer), so it is closer than "artillery and stupid excuses".

You really seem to know this stuff.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fan translations are some weird stuff.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Catberry posted:

You really seem to know this stuff.

I wouldn't say that, I just have a file with the English and Japanese scripts of the game side by side and can read Japanese decently well so it's just a matter of looking up the lines. I've always found it interesting to see how stuff ends up translated and FF7's translation is especially uh... fascinating?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

bloodychill posted:

The thing about spell names though is that LIT3 is conveys the same idea as Thundaga. Sort of. Thundaga feels more like a "fantasy" name for something instead of just appending a number to a name. On the other hand, thunder is a sound, not actual electricity.

"Yrena" looks awkward and dumb though, as do those high poly models walking around the low-res background. Blugh.

Bolt 3 worked with me for FFVII because the materia has been made "scientific" so them giving them non fantasy names didn't bother me.

Keep posting great things from these wonderful mods. Let me know when you get to Iscar Matthias!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kanfy posted:

I wouldn't say that, I just have a file with the English and Japanese scripts of the game side by side and can read Japanese decently well so it's just a matter of looking up the lines. I've always found it interesting to see how stuff ends up translated and FF7's translation is especially uh... fascinating?

You certainly approach this with.... Gusto.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Thunder is never going to break association with electricity at this point. See also: Pokemon.

Bolt, Boltra, Boltaga?

Zap, Shock, Blast

There's even a spell int he first game called ZAP! Best spell name in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catberry posted:

You certainly approach this with.... Gusto.

Jesus loving Christ.

If you don't want to translate it as "Gast" then it should be "Gust" because it goes with the weather theme and that is how you frigging translate ガスト. You know like the video game company Gust?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh I love Kuraudo Sutoraifu, star of Fainaru Fantajī VII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

Zap, Shock, Blast

There's even a spell int he first game called ZAP! Best spell name in the series.

The best spells are all the "______ Ray" spells since every time I see one i can make the same "hey it's my friend, Magiteck Ray" joke over voice in FFXIV