Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

MEA will probably just be an interspecies erotica fan fic
So, Witcher 3 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

So, Witcher 3 then?

I know you're being snarko but when was there any romances in TW3 that were not human. Geralt counts as human really

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like you gently caress an elf in there somewhere

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Phi230 posted:

Witcher 3 set such a high bar that it should have lit a fire under Bioware and Bethesda asses to make better games but here we are. Lazy. Sad!

Horizon Zero dawn is light on its RPG mechanics. But I'd definitely put it with Witcher 3. It certainly draws on it a bit.

No one fucks tho.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Quote isn't edit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Norns posted:

No one fucks tho.

Well i guess I won't get it then.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

Horizon Zero dawn is light on its RPG mechanics. But I'd definitely put it with Witcher 3. It certainly draws on it a bit.

No one fucks tho.

Im just past the like prologue but like my PS4 doesn't work good so I take a break

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ainsley McTree posted:

also a succubus or two

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

elves are hosed in witcher 3 but i don't think in the same sense you're thinking of

which brings this full circle i guess because it's a common thread between witcher 3/dragon age

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ash1138 posted:

also a succubus or two

It's actually pretty funny when you meet the succubus that very loudly doesn't want to gently caress Geralt specifically and if you ask Geralt just deflates.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Witcher 3 is the closest thing to playing a great novel as you can get. It's close to perfect.

ME3 is fifty shades darker

MEA will probably just be an interspecies erotica fan fic

Aren't the Witche games based off of actual novels?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Casual outfit customization.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yes

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spaseman posted:

Casual outfit customization.

Well that Ryder certainly looks older than the guy in the trailers. It would be pretty funny if you could somehow make the Ryders look older than their dad. Like how you could play as a desiccated corpse in Inquisition.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I know you're being snarko but when was there any romances in TW3 that were not human. Geralt counts as human really
I haven't even played it, I'm just taking the piss.

I tried the first one years ago and couldn't stand it tbh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

For your blockbusters? Mass Effect 3 is Star Trek Into Darkness, Witcher 3 is Fellowship of the Ring.

As somebody who collectively dislikes the Lord of the RIngs movies by Jackson (but really doesn't remember much of any of them) I take offense to that. :mad:

Is FotR the good movie, or is it one of the lovely drawn out terrible ones? If it's the good one, then okay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Theyre p good

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cams posted:

there is a huge population of people who have built an identity and community around whining about video games on the internet. while a normal person would react to not liking a video game by not buying it and moving on, these defective humans get on the internet and act entitled about toys like it is an important thing that actually matters.

My wife reflects the basic idea of your thought here. She doesn't play games, couldn't give two shits about it but even she heard about the craziness of the ME3 backlash. Her response was basically if you didn't like the game, move on or make something better. She especially hated when she heard people demanding that they get a new ending in DLC.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Witcher 3 was a fantastic game. Probably one the best RPGs in a long time. It does scratch a different itch than the Mass Effect games though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

My wife reflects the basic idea of your thought here. She doesn't play games, couldn't give two shits about it but even she heard about the craziness of the ME3 backlash. Her response was basically if you didn't like the game, move on or make something better. She especially hated when she heard people demanding that they get a new ending in DLC.

Its a sense of entitlement that drives this

Just laugh and move on

Laugh smore

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

I like to form opinions based on things I've never seen or done myself!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Phi230 posted:

Its a sense of entitlement that drives this

Just laugh and move on

Laugh smore

If only gamers could read this

Norns posted:

:ughh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The mass effect 3 ending was a dumpster fire and they deserved all the poo poo they got for it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Norns posted:

The mass effect 3 ending was a dumpster fire and they deserved all the poo poo they got for it.

Nah.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Norns posted:

I have never seen nor done the process by which beer is made, but I am of the opinion that it is Good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Serf posted:

I have never seen nor done the process by which beer is made, but I am of the opinion that it is Good.

But you have seen and tasted beer.

I don't need to know how the ending of mass effect 3 was made to know it sucks. But it did require viewing it...

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Serf posted:

Witcher 3 was a fantastic game. Probably one the best RPGs in a long time. It does scratch a different itch than the Mass Effect games though.

Yeah, I have an unopened copy but I already got my fill of dark medieval fantasy from Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the more I read posts in this thread that amount to "Witcher 3 good therefor MEA bad" the less I want to play it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Norns posted:

But you have seen and tasted beer.

I don't need to know how the ending of mass effect 3 was made to know it sucks. But it did require viewing it...

I mean it definitely wasn't good, but it was easily overlooked because of how much fun the game had been up to that point. And how awesome the multiplayer was/is. The ME series was never gonna have a satisfactory ending, that was clear from the get-go.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, I have an unopened copy but I already got my fill of dark medieval fantasy from Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the more I read people posts that amount to "Witcher 3 good therefor MEA bad" the less I want to play it.

When the development team on Andromeda is saying "we want to be like The Witcher 3" then such comparisons are going to be inevitable.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Phi230 posted:

Witcher 3 set such a high bar that it should have lit a fire under Bioware and Bethesda asses to make better games but here we are. Lazy. Sad!

How low has Marc Waters gone to tapp the rogue scholar asari. This is Witcher/Triss. Bad (or sick) guy!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the severity of the ME3 Backlash, but Bioware literally just poo poo on the fans of the series with that ending. If you watch the actual original endings and were privy to the literal promises and assurances of the Bioware devs that it was actually NOT going to be what they really did, it was a huge slap in the face, both of the time invested by the fans as well as an ending to the trilogy.

I really think Bioware deserved to get called out for the poo poo they pulled, and though I think it went too far, I'm not sorry it happened.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Not anymore

Here's footage of Jaal

https://youtu.be/TqwnP42cKZg

That looks like they are barely getting 30 fps in 4k. :/

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, I have an unopened copy but I already got my fill of dark medieval fantasy from Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the more I read posts in this thread that amount to "Witcher 3 good therefor MEA bad" the less I want to play it.

I too follow this dumb and childish logic,

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lollerich posted:

That looks like they are barely getting 30 fps in 4k. :/

That's great, means I'll be pulling 70 fps in my 1440. :getin:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Gamers don't deserve good things

Nintendo / Zelda fans are the whiniest crybabies on the internet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Witcher 3 has some dark stuff in it, and then it also has some just wild and fun sci-fi fantasy kind of stuff happening, especially middle to the end. Anything involving the witches in Velen or the witch-hunts is pretty gruesome, though. Then you have inter-dimensional ships and special effects extravaganzas like out of a Marvel movie.

exquisite tea posted:

When the development team on Andromeda is saying "we want to be like The Witcher 3" then such comparisons are going to be inevitable.

I'm pretty sure they never said that outright, but they did say they were looking at Witcher 3 and taking notes about quest design. We'll see if there's anything to that later this week.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Norns posted:

Honestly, I'd have to disagree. That was the first time I ever experienced such an explosion of outrage over something like a game before. It really caught me off guard. I liked most of the game, had fun playing it and thought the ending was lame but moved on. Like someone posted a while back the response far outweighed the "crime".

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

exquisite tea posted:

And people that want to play a game less because of how much people can't shut the gently caress up about it is also inevitable, so what's your point?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Nintendo / Zelda fans are the whiniest crybabies on the internet.

I really can't think of any worse subset of fans than an entrenched Nintendo only product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And people that want to play a game less because of how much people can't shut the gently caress up about it is also inevitable, so what's your point?

We're all idiots