Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a biiig difference between communism and fascism my friend

Tell that to the people killed by Stalin.

Ahh, but no TRUE communism ever led to anything but a perfect world.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Nah, they love noble failure, it lets them avoid sullying themselves with the corrupt world. The Judean People's Front Crack Suicide Squad lives.

They excuse their own failure. Failure in others is just a sign that they didn't ever care enough to do something. For example, Hillary Clinton doesn't care about improving Americans healthcare. Yes, that's a real thing they kept saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Capitalism kills more people than communism ever has.

But you know, I guess that actual factual differences in political thought don't matter when you're trying to own those silly commies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nah, they love noble failure, it lets them avoid sullying themselves with the corrupt world. The Judean People's Front Crack Suicide Squad lives.

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/02/i-w...ard-roundtable/

Fulchrum posted:

They excuse their own failure. Failure in others is just a sign that they didn't ever care enough to do something. For example, Hillary Clinton doesn't care about improving Americans healthcare. Yes, that's a real thing they kept saying.

quotin myself:

loquacius posted:

There is no significant communist faction in 21st-century America

everybody say it with me now

e: reds under the bed :ohdear:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sandpuppy posted:

Bonus Sutton Animated gif:

:perfect:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
ah! papa! I should so hate to happen upon one of these damnable "Bernard Brothers" on one of my morning constitutionals. They sound so dreadful. He might do a genocide upon my person and I should have to summon the constabulary!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

But you know, I guess that actual factual differences in political thought don't matter when you're trying to own those silly commies

Yeah, and the common cold kills more people yearly than the black death does. Mainly because one is actually here in the present and one is not.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, and the common cold kills more people yearly than the black death does. Mainly because one is actually here in the present and one is not.

Then why are you contributing to what in your own metaphor is a concerted anti-black-death argument? What's the point?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's like people like Fish or Rall are utterly unable to comprehend what Trump is and what he means. Obama is just a "ruthlessly self-serving" as Trump. As much of a Hitler.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

Then why are you contributing to what in your own metaphor is a concerted anti-black-death argument? What's the point?

Because the black death is bad. It killed a big amount of people when it was around. So we worked to make it not around. And you seem to think it not being around is an argument in its favor. "Look how many people are not killed by the black death. This proves the black death is really good."

I seem to recall a similar argument coming from Scalia.

You get how this works?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

This is an incoherent metaphor. Maybe you should lay down for a minute, take a nap or something

Fulchrum posted:

Because the black death is bad. It killed a big amount of people when it was around. So we worked to make it not around. And you seem to think it not being around is an argument in its favor. "Look how many people are not killed by the black death. This proves the black death is really good."

You get how this works?

No, because what you are saying makes absolutely no sense in the context of comparing Communism to Fascism.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

You get how this works?

do I have to requote that post a second time or what

no one is arguing for communism

Improbable Lobster is doing it in an academic sense I guess, but no major American faction in the 21st century is advocating Soviet-style communism. You are arguing with a strawman.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

loquacius posted:

do I have to requote that post a second time or what

no one is arguing for communism

Improbable Lobster is doing it in an academic sense I guess, but no major American faction in the 21st century is advocating Soviet-style communism. You are arguing with a strawman.

I was only arguing that there is a significant difference between fascism and communism and, later, capitalism. Fulchrum seems to think that people dying under a communist regime makes it the same as a fascist regime.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stop. Conflating. Dissimilar. Items.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

This is an incoherent metaphor. Maybe you should lay down for a minute, take a nap or something

No, it's an accurate metaphor. The original argument is comparing something that is around now, with something that is not, and attempting to use the widely different time frames to make a fallacial argument.

If this was in any way a worthwhile argument at its core, the line would be "more people died in the US in [year in the cold war] than in the USSR in the same year". But that was never true. So you need to be slimy and make a misleading and poor argument to cover up the truth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Because the black death is bad.

Nah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequences_of_the_Black_Death#Social.2C_environmental.2C_and_economic_effects

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

No, because what you are saying makes absolutely no sense in the context of comparing Communism to Fascism.

If you had argued fascism vs. Communism only, that might have some merit. But you didn't. Your line was "Capitalism kills more people than communism ever has".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

No, it's an accurate metaphor. The original argument is comparing something that is around now, with something that is not, and attempting to use the widely different time frames to make a fallacial argument.

If this was in any way a worthwhile argument at its core, the line would be "more people died in the US in [year in the cold war] than in the USSR in the same year". But that was never true. So you need to be slimy and make a misleading and poor argument to cover up the truth.

My argument was that communism and fascism is different. You replied "nu-uh, stalin killed people". I said that capitalism killed people because I assumed that you were smart enough to realize that people dying under different political regimes doesn't make those regimes the same or even similar.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Stop. Conflating. Dissimilar. Items.

W/r/t conflating fascism with communism, or conflating New-Deal social-democratic capitalism with communism?

Because one of those things is dumber than the other, but both have happened in the last two pages and fit your post p well

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My argument was that communism and fascism is different. You replied "nu-uh, stalin killed people". I said that capitalism killed people because I assumed that you were smart enough to realize that people dying under different political regimes doesn't make those regimes the same or even similar.

No, you said Capitalism killed MORE people.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Davis's Brexit warning – MPs will have to choose between a deal brokered by Theresa May and crashing out of the bloc on World Trade Organisation terms in a hard Brexit, David Davis has suggested"

Telegraph:

Sister Sledge singer Joni dies at 60

Independent:

Times:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Which is completely incidental to you being too stupid to understand that I wasn't trying to defend communism or Stalin or whatever it is you think I'm doing.

The only thing I tried to argue was that communism =/= fascism.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

You're arguing with fulchrum.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I see we are back to the, "these lefties can't deny an argument founded upon a core of death=bad, let's compare communism and fascism in uninteresting ways, frame the relaively-moderate economic tenets of Classic Liberalism or Social Democracy as communistic and checkmate these Libtards"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

loquacius posted:

W/r/t conflating fascism with communism, or conflating New-Deal social-democratic capitalism with communism?

Because one of those things is dumber than the other, but both have happened in the last two pages and fit your post p well

You're giving me too much credit, but yes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fulchrum posted:

You get how this works?

Having seen my share of political venn diagrams people draw up to try to support shaky analysis, hoooo boy yes.

A good, what, third? quarter? of the AGC in this thread is enabled by awful, overly-simplistic contrasts drawn between items meant to be intellectual killshots that underscore the artist's own gross incompetence or lack of information

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 13, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fulchrum posted:

Capitalism doesn't kill its winners, it kills its losers. How'd India do? How'd Ireland do?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This post was gong to be a list of quoted A Good Cartoon examples, but Jesus I can't pick. Just hit the back button and pay attention to comics with tu quoque / "no u" punchlines.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Personally I think the rich should be hunted for sport, but whatever, I can see that you still have a lot of growing up to do.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Oodalally!

Every town has its ups and downs. Sometimes ups outnumber the downs, but not in Washington:banjo:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Famines_in_British_India

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium#Exploitation.2C_atrocities.2C_and_death_toll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States

Again, not attempting to defend the USSR.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 13, 2017

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

The bestial, criminal Irish-man should have been sent back where he came from ages ago. A Puck cartoon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Oodalally!

Every town has its ups and downs. Sometimes ups outnumber the downs, but not in Washington:banjo:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A representative example, to be sure.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.

That was my favourite movie when I was a wee one

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Let's put the death count at 60 Million to account for lack of slavery death toll in US. (

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward 45 - 55 Million Dead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor 5 Million Dead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge_Killing_Fields 2 - 3 Million Dead

Let's also realize Capitalism has been utilized as a form of government for hundreds of years, Communism less than a hundred.

So Communism has killed on par as many people as Capitalism in a third or less of the time. And The indian starvations lasted hundreds of years and killed 30 million. The GLF killed 55 million people in less than 4 years.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A representative example, to be sure.

Yeah you're right, I should have done what you did in the post I was responding to and taken down a nameless arbitrary anonymous strawman instead of Clinton's communications director

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

One thing, one thing, one trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CBO report is out for RyanCare, and shocker of shockers, the bill's a steaming turd that will gently caress over Trump's voters especially.

I expect the usual suspects to either 1) ignore it completely and HA HA LOOK OVER THERE A CRYBABY LIB or 2) "if only the dumb elephants would stop repairing the thing labeled 'Obamacare' then awesomeness would happen"

• Locked thread