Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's going to report millions will lose their insurance at best. That's literally the best-case Republican scenario, only single-digit millions lose insurance without the CBO also noting it will destroy the insurance markets and expand the deficit and increase premiums and all of those other horrible effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

If only student loans for medical degrees could be paid in chickens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Once again the Trump team is making it way worse on themselves than they have to be. There are a number of known ways to game CBO estimates that they're pretty clearly not even bothering with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azhais posted:

He's literally Marie Antoinette

More a Randian Richelieu

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Once again the Trump team is making it way worse on themselves than they have to be. There are a number of known ways to game CBO estimates that they're pretty clearly not even bothering with.

Dynamic scoring would help with the deficit but not the number of uninsured.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It's going to report millions will lose their insurance at best. That's literally the best-case Republican scenario, only single-digit millions lose insurance without the CBO also noting it will destroy the insurance markets and expand the deficit and increase premiums and all of those other horrible effects.

"Don't worry, you won't lose your insurance, just those lazy others who didn't deserve it in the first place."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bueno Papi posted:

Dynamic scoring would help with the deficit but not the number of uninsured.

I think the people making the request can force the CBO to stipulate basically whatever situations they want. It's true that it's a transparent abuse, but it would confuse the narrative and get competing numbers out there "from the CBO". It was a common tactic in the past, but, as usual, the Trump admin isn't even competent in its evil.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the people making the request can force the CBO to stipulate basically whatever situations they want. It's true that it's a transparent abuse, but it would confuse the narrative and get competing numbers out there "from the CBO". It was a common tactic in the past, but, as usual, the Trump admin isn't even competent in its evil.

Within reason they take requests but the CBO also says health insurance is a consumer product with a specific definition. Prior to the new congressional term CBO said what is and is not health insurance. It's why republicans are trying out new talking points to diminish the CBO and the "who needs health insurance anyways?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bueno Papi posted:

Within reason they take requests but the CBO also says health insurance is a consumer product with a specific definition. Prior to the new congressional term CBO said what is and is not health insurance. It's why republicans are trying out new talking points to diminish the CBO and the "who needs health insurance anyways?"

I see, thanks for the correction!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
When are we expecting a CBO estimate?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

When are we expecting a CBO estimate?

There have been murmurs that it will be issued tomorrow.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Azhais posted:

He's literally Marie Antoinette

Marie Antoinette was born into privilege. Paul grew up poor and forgot what it's like living on Medicare and Food Stamps.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Forceholy posted:

Marie Antoinette was born into privilege. Paul grew up poor and forgot what it's like living on Medicare and Food Stamps.

turtleface only survived polio because of a New Deal medical program I think.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Forceholy posted:

I keep telling you people, this is not about rich vs. Poor. This is Republican vs. Poor. The failure to recognise, admit and articulate this means we will still keep losing.

The three presidents who arguably did the most to help the poor in American history were all millionaire's even without inflation.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 13, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Forceholy posted:

Temp embarrassed millionaire

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just had to talk my grandmother out of selling her house. She's terrified because the news channels told her Republicans are going to take away her Medicaid - she has COPD and needs to live on $10,000 / year. And she just got a letter saying her food stamps are being reduced to $16 / month. gently caress Paul Ryan.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

her food stamps are being reduced to $16 / month.
:stare:

KillHour posted:

gently caress paul ryan
:yeah:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

I just had to talk my grandmother out of selling her house. She's terrified because the news channels told her Republicans are going to take away her Medicaid - she has COPD and needs to live on $10,000 / year. And she just got a letter saying her food stamps are being reduced to $16 / month. gently caress Paul Ryan.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you missed a 0 here but the point stands regardless

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

i really like this alternate gop universe where people who can't afford insurance can afford to go to a doctor

I touched on this earlier in the thread, but their pivot is going to be changing what a doctor visit is. Yeah sure you can't afford to see an ortho, but that chiro will take any kind of insurance you got and just charge you fifteen dollars to put you on a table and lean into your back.

Sure, you can't afford a nutritionist, but there's an herbalist who will help you with your diet.

No physical therapist but there's a tax credit for a Planet Fitness membership and two free sessions with a licensed personal trainer.

Can't get a psychiatrist but you can afford a life coach.

And then they'll point and say that of course healthcare is affordable. Look at all these things people can go to. Who are you to turn up your nose at the local acupuncturist?!?!?! The snobby coastal elites have been making GBS threads over Traditional Chinese Medicine for years.

As a fun side note, Life University outside of Atlanta is the largest horseshit holistic training ground in the United States. It's also the only university that gives scholarships for womens rugby.

Forceholy posted:

Marie Antoinette also really didn't know what was going on and most of the more salacious rumors about her were pure fabrication. Paul Ryan can't make that claim.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For those that missed it, John Oliver did a good recap of the AHCA on Last Week Tonight

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boon posted:

For those that missed it, John Oliver did a good recap of the AHCA on Last Week Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifi9M7DRazI

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

KillHour posted:

Surely this is a typo? Otherwise that's like tipping your waitress $.01.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I was shocked too. They started her at $180, then it went down to $82, and now it's going down to $16. It's a joke.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

He picks Oklahoma as an example of ACA being good but what I don't understand is that the same map shows my county in New York being the opposite as a 79% increase for the same age and income?

Picking the 27 age option then shows a $200 price drop on the other hand, though I don't receive any tax credits since I apparently make too much, but according to the map I do? Maybe the tax credit only applies to 27 year olds with dependants or something?

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 13, 2017

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Fulchrum posted:

I keep telling you people, this is not about rich vs. Poor. This is Republican vs. Poor. The failure to recognise, admit and articulate this means we will still keep losing.

The three presidents who arguably did the most to help the poor in American history were all millionaire's even without inflation.

Actually, you keep losing because of rhetoric about Not All Millionaires. There simply aren't enough upper middle class people who badly want to suck off Warren Buffet to win elections.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Yeah, I was shocked too. They started her at $180, then it went down to $82, and now it's going down to $16. It's a joke.

Pretty sure that would've happened under Obama too.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Actually, you keep losing because of rhetoric about Not All Millionaires. There simply aren't enough upper middle class people who badly want to suck off Warren Buffet to win elections.

Whereas Americans all just hate the rich and have never had any aspirations to be like them, right? That's just always been a winner.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
CBO score due at 4PM apparently

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

:unsmigghh:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Whereas Americans all just hate the rich and have never had any aspirations to be like them, right? That's just always been a winner.

The wealthy of america stood united behind a candidate whose explicit-as-laid-out-by-the-currently-top-ranking-democrat-in-America campaign strategy was to abandon the working class in favor of picking up the votes of suburban republicans.

Her opponent, a billionaire who has difficulty reading to the end of a sentence before getting bored and was caught on tape bragging about having sexually assaulted women, accused her of being a puppet of the rich.

One of them is now president.

Reconcile this with your theory that what the American people really want is to obey the whims of people with more money than them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HappyHippo posted:

I have a real fear that the CBO has dramatically cooked the books on this, and the entire past week has been an exercise in getting Democrats to talk up how important and reliable the CBP score is.

Paul Ryan picked the guy running the CBO these days, didn't he?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a real fear that the CBO has dramatically cooked the books on this, and the entire past week has been an exercise in getting Democrats to talk up how important and reliable the CBP score is.

Eh, seems like the Republicans wouldn't have spent all week talking about how the CBO can't be trusted if this was the plan

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes, he did. But the CBO has rules governing how they are allowed to assess legislation that they can't ignore.

Some of these rules don't always make a ton of sense (they have to do a 10-year window for all legislation unless the bill specifically targets periods outside of that window, they have to assume conditions that the bill assumes, etc), but they can't get rid of them outside of statutory changes.

Even if the CBO used dynamic scoring that is very favorable to the plan, then that wouldn't impact its analysis of coverage rates. It would just make the economic impact look better.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/841380452502011904

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Estimate is 14 million to lose coverage.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

21 million uninsured by 2020 lmfao

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/841380452502011904

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They've been priming for this though, and arguing that current medicaid / low tier obamacare plan coverage is so bad it is in fact worse than no coverage. I'm expecting a full court press of the message "Obamacare coverage is worse than no coverage, so 24 million less insured is good".

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
It doesn't matter if people are uninsured as long as they can afford healthcare. Should be noted that Keith Hall did his job and said AHCA would reduce the deficit. Tax cuts do pay for themselves by killing poor people.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

They've been priming for this though, and arguing that current medicaid / low tier obamacare plan coverage is so bad it is in fact worse than no coverage. I'm expecting a full court press of the message "Obamacare coverage is worse than no coverage, so 24 million less insured is good".

Unfortunately, Obamacare plans aren't that bad but the mini med bullshit that the Dems capitulated on are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Does the report also doa premiums forecast?