Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Dooguk posted:

"I think you have to approach SC as you would a person you really want to be more intimate with, but due to certain circumstances, whatever they may be, know deep down will never ever come to fruition. If you learn to accept this very real reality, anything you get from that person will easily be viewed upon with joy, even if its nothing more than a brief hi/goodbye. In short, temper your expectations affordably and you'll never be disappointed."

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7573155/#Comment_7573155

Star Citizen: It's out of your league.

Hmmmm, dunno. For CIG, I think the "certain circumstances" are more likely to be something aided by penicillin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

just a friendly reminder that's CIG is adding hand to hand combat, including ways to block, kick, strike and throw

I'm sure it'll replace MvC at EVO sometime soon

If SC becomes an MMO where I can travel around punching random people in the dick then I am 100% buying in.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Warhawk109 posted:

Hi everyone! I'm the whale that said he was getting the hell out in the let's talk 3.0 thread. I'm in the process of getting my refund now. Can't wait to be on the outside watching this house of cards fall apart! :munch:

Welcome to the Clown Car Warhawk

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

thread's menacing display when meanies show up to give it a wedgie

I take it the guy on the right is the amateur? He has all the energy, while the middle guy has technique.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

If SC becomes an MMO where I can travel around punching random people in the dick then I am 100% buying in.
the dick punch pipeline

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

WTS Dong Armor, $2200 pm pls

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

they shoulda picked new york, which is roughly "gently caress whatever you think you agreed to, we are enforcing the exact words of this contract including the clause that said one side was allowed to defraud you into signing this"

It's also 'iron clad'

Iron. Clad.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol according to BoredGamer the Idris is finished. Can't wait for them to try and load one into the PU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

Room system with atmosphere, pressure, oxygen, etc. is being worked on and will be able to manage the atmosphere in each room. so for exampel when a door is opened it will "suck" out the air from the room which will suck out the oxygen in the next room etc etc

So Chris found out about Hellion...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Nope, a lot of people told you Citizens were entitled to refunds as CIG weren't keeping to their part of the contract/agreement, release dates etc.

You argued for pages how the CIG terms of service was cast iron and people couldn't get refunds, then people tested CIG on refunds by pushing it to the stage when a court might actually get to rule on it and suddenly CIG is refunding everyone who asks.

Don't let me stop you though if you are going to fight this legal battle again, last time was hilarious, love your work, big fan.

:perfect:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

lol according to BoredGamer the Idris is finished. Can't wait for them to try and load one into the PU

Started the video, saw a bullshot...closed the video.

He earned his view. But Derek facilitated it by promoting his promotion.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

I don't think there will ever be legal action. The casuals will simply move on from a failed kickstarter. The hardcore whales who go down with the ship will claim that they got their moneys worth, funded a dream, let CIG produce tech that could be licensed out in the future (lol), or some how saved the PC industry from certain death.

Yeah, for those with about 100 bux in the game. Big whales will most likely take legal action. Heck, any ambulance chasing attorney will be able to get it classified as a class action without much effort. Yeah, I've done the research. :grin:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, for those with about 100 bux in the game. Big whales will most likely take legal action. Heck, any ambulance chasing attorney will be able to get it classified as a class action without much effort. Yeah, I've done the research. :grin:

How guaranteed do you think this is? Please use percentages

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Warhawk109 posted:

Hi everyone! I'm the whale that said he was getting the hell out in the let's talk 3.0 thread. I'm in the process of getting my refund now. Can't wait to be on the outside watching this house of cards fall apart! :munch:

Welcome, brother!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

how much longer until its been 2 weeks?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

A game where you can play as a nude spaceman nipple-jetting up to people's ships, glitching in, punching the pilot in the dick, then watch him glitch into a Lovecraftian horror? gently caress yeah, I'm in.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TrustmeImLegit posted:

ELE worthy on the richter parp scale

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hav posted:

I take it the guy on the right is the amateur? He has all the energy, while the middle guy has technique.

CAN WE HAVE A VOLUNTEER FROM THE AUDIENCE?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Has anyone edited that gif from Total Recall so that the woman's head opens up and it's Derek inside?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lol this game - I vaguely recall the original KS, and had heard the odd rumble over the years (articles in the escapist etc) but had no idea it was such a shitshow. I've very much enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks.

:10bux: well spent man.

Can someone explain to me, in very simple idiot terms, what exactly causes all the clipping, walking thru walls, etc in the clips you guys post?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

BeigeJacket posted:

Can someone explain to me, in very simple idiot terms, what exactly causes all the clipping, walking thru walls, etc in the clips you guys post?
Incompetence.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well give 140 million dollars to a washed up old hack and his tickle fetish actress wife and tell them to program a revolutionary new game and see what you get

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yesterday I had a nice talk with one of my fellows in my org. We talked about CR's promises, especially regarding subsumption.

One of CR's core promises is: "the player can do whatever a NPC can do". It also works the other way around: "the NPC can do whatever a player can do". For example, NPC ships are controlled by NPCs which are doing their jobs as much as they would do on a player controlled ships. And players can do the very same jobs. Also, NPCs can take missions as well as players can, which means, any job appearing on the job board IS done by someone, be it a PC or a NPC.

If CIG is able to pull that stunt, that's already a rather impressive feat.

Also CR promised us a "living" universe. NPCs do have lives as much as PCs have. They have a daily routine, they have a place where they sleep, they have their own hangars, their own ships etc. In a way NPCs and PCs are nearly indistinguishable from a certain point of view. Also there's that promise NPCs keep track of their interactions with other players, resulting in a dynamic relationship. They might become loyal friends - or have their own agenda, playing a foul game with certain players. And since the promise is still valid, NPCs may also have relationships with other NPCs and keeping track - which simply adds even more layers of complexity.

If CIG is able to do that, they nearly almost created a simulation of a small society.

And now substract any PCs from the game. Do it.

You may suddenly realize the game doesn't really need PCs to create a living universe. If done right, NPCs keep each other occupied with jobs, ever increasing relationships (or falling ones). They might even double cross each other. The command staff of the UEEN may decide to bring war to the Vanduul or vice versa. The economy is supporting that war - and the war may be lost if the economy fails doing so. Also the Xi'An may take a move towards UEE space, the old cold war turns in a hot one. Elections may happen, entire systems may suffer a total breakdown thanks to pirate raids against convoys and the UEEN may send fleets dealing with those pirates.

Now think about that. Basically, that's what CR promised in a nutshell. An living universe that's basically an independent simulation of a (small scale) society.

Lots of Ifs in there compadre.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

a couple weeks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Three more weeks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Warhawk109 posted:

The credit card debt was basically from me paying for school. It's a trade school for my 4th year electrical apprenticeship. After 3 months of classes, take a couple of exams, and I'm done my apprenticeship, and get my red seal. Feels good man.

Big deal I had one of those years ago

Not bad actually

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

just a friendly reminder that's CIG is adding hand to hand combat, including ways to block, kick, strike and throw

I'm sure it'll replace MvC at EVO sometime soon

They already have Dhalsim in the game so it shouldn't be that difficult.

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
Since Amazon's lumberyard engine is being used and tied to Star Citizen, would Amazon (have they already?) put money into Star Citizen so that their engine isn't tied to a failure? Or is this completely trivial since they're only licensing it out?

I don't know, if I was a well-known company and was trying to open up a new area of business, I know I wouldn't want to be indirectly attributed to something that was a failure. At the same time, Amazon has nothing to do with Star Citizen so being able to put distance shouldn't be hard, but Amazon seems to be trying to get some good PR regarding its relationship with CIG.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

https://www.classaction.com/

StarbloodKiss posted:

Since Amazon's lumberyard engine is being used and tied to Star Citizen, would Amazon (have they already?) put money into Star Citizen so that their engine isn't tied to a failure? Or is this completely trivial since they're only licensing it out?

They're licensing it. Amazon couldn't give a flying gently caress at a rolling donut for an MMO.

ZenMaster posted:

CAN WE HAVE A VOLUNTEER FROM THE AUDIENCE?

Nah, I've been doing this commercially so long I have the nuts of a Rhino.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 13, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Couple things to consider:
If the game is ever going to release, eventually it will be released, it can't be delayed forever. If you think it will be delayed forever, you should probably refund / leave this subreddit, you don't really belong here. If you are just bummed about it being delayed here or there, have faith - it can't be delayed forever, remember! And if you think it can... see earlier in this paragraph. Its going to release eventually!

The closer to release we get, the more accurate Chris / CIG will be with release information, its impossible not to be more accurate. Think about it: if release is 2 years away (in reality), Chris could think "6-8 months!" and be way off. But if release is 2 months away, Chris could think "1 week!" and be only off by a month and 3/4. By percentage, its almost the same difference, but by actual time its minimal and not likely to upset most of you. The point is, as the time till release of any given thing gets closer, he can't help but become more "accurate", no matter how off he usually is.

The longer we go, the more experience Chris / CIG has with accuracy of their release information. They continue to be wrong, sure, but its NOT easy to set release times when software development is happening, not even with ALL the inside information they have, to know when something will be finished. As time goes on they are likely to get more accurate.
There are other factors, some of which counter these somewhat (such as anxiety over the release of the game or something like that). I'm just trying to stay positive here, and while its not too difficult for me I think a lot of people do struggle with it and hopefully this comment helps a little.

Oh for gently caress's sake. That's like the world's saddest verbal self-penectomy.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

StarbloodKiss posted:

I don't know, if I was a well-known company and was trying to open up a new area of business, I know I wouldn't want to be indirectly attributed to something that was a failure. At the same time, Amazon has nothing to do with Star Citizen so being able to put distance shouldn't be hard, but Amazon seems to be trying to get some good PR regarding its relationship with CIG.

Completely trivial, it's not like Unity's held responsible every time some fool tries to make a MMO with their engine.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

(Person who has never played a Paradox game here)

Now I get why the whales don't seem to know anything about the genre they like, they don't actually play any games :smith:

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

D_Smart posted:

I wish you'd stop lying about the legal poo poo. You're so obviously wrong about this. You couldn't get a case out of arbitration let alone get it to class. Arbitration clauses in contracts like this have been enforced repeatedly. Also the no class clauses have been repeatedly enforced and the Supreme Court upheld those rulings.

This includes challenges based on California's contract law.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Doesn't matter, since that was modified. I doubt anyone still has a claim to those original terms anyway and if so, have likely already been offered a refund.

Wait! Are you now suggesting that almost 1m backers can no longer claim those original terms?

That's rubbish.

Aside from the fact that changing a ToS after the fact doesn't absolve CIG of any prior responsibilities to deliver a product.

Go ahead and ask the Lily drone guys how that worked out for them once the DA (in CA also) declared that because they raised funds on their website, those people were automatically afford CONSUMER PROTECTIONS

quote:

There’s also a slightly technical issue that forms a second front in the DA’s lawsuit: the fact that they went with an independent “pre-order” strategy rather than an established crowdfunded development site like Kickstarter. That makes Lily’s money qualify more on the side of internet sales than investment in an idea (something Kickstarter and its projects are always careful to explain), which exposed the company to certain consumer protection laws.

This is what I believe will be the inevitable fate of the Star Citizen project when the curtain falls.

And it's also the other reason why refunds are going to continue happening; regardless of what CIG/RSI thinks or wants to do. Unless and until they deliver what was promised, refunds are a thing. Period. End of story.

And no, they can't foist an MVP on backers, then use that as a reason to deny refunds, because - again, the massive amounts of historical data are enough to show that backers were easily misled about the status and state of the project, as well as the numerous promises made.

What Getting A Refund Looked Like One Year Ago

Meanwhile, though few make it public, instead reaching out to us privately, the whale exit continues with a total of three (the highest being $1,500) reporting today.

Another med-high Concierge level whale who had reached out to me about getting a refund, also notified me privately (he states: "I don't feel a need to go bragging about getting a large refund.") that he got a refund as well. He's off to buy a boat.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Big deal I had one of those years ago

Not bad actually

LOL

Red Seal Journeyman ticket, but I'll take one of those!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm sure you'll get very elaborate non-idiot term responses but it's a combination of factors.

I'd say if I had to put it in a sentence...

They are focusing on a motion capture movie, making the PU everyone is using for videos get even less attention than normal from bad developers who are using tricks like making people the size of grains of sand to be able to have these giant environments which causes huge glitches when trying to track the position of 5mb packets rendered in 10x the detail of any other game.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

StarbloodKiss posted:

Amazons Lumberyard tech is freely avalible to anyone to start making games and other projects in, Amazon do not pay out to companies using their engine.

Basically, "Partnership with Amazon" is bullshit, anyone can download it and make their own game, but if they use Amazons server tech to run it then they have to pay Amazon.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

BeigeJacket posted:

CIG's incompetent coding and collision meshes. :)

E; poo poo spelling refactored.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 13, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

To be fair, there are many of us whales that thing there is some level of mis-management. At the same time, look at the amount of posts/communication from CR compared to the rest of the development team; it has significantly shrunk, and probably with reason.
There is no way that all 140+ million has been already spent. But what do I know - I'm just a backer.

Right. So how much do you think they have left, when in 2015 tax year, a SINGLE studio (F42-UK) used up over 50% of the TOTAL funding raised to date?

It's all here - charts and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

Lol this game - I vaguely recall the original KS, and had heard the odd rumble over the years (articles in the escapist etc) but had no idea it was such a shitshow. I've very much enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks.

:10bux: well spent man.

They obviously did some modification to the engine or maps that causes stuff on the human-level scale to have issues with collision detection.

Some people say that in order to "enlarge" the maps they actually shrunk everything to tiny levels. So your character is actually (from the engine's perspective) the size of a mite so determining is actual position in relation with a wall (that is paper thin) is difficult.

Other people think that their move to 64 bit coordinates causes all sorts of floating point imprecisions because post of the engine is not ready for that, which again makes the collision detection unable to determine the exact position of the character.

Finally, the thing is so unoptimized that they probably just decreased the frequency of the collision detection checks (maybe this is done automatically by the engine?) to speed it up. So if you move fast you can clip thru 10 Meyers of solid steel.