Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hrist posted:

Probably when they make the (next?) movie that features it as the promotional Pokemon in the title. And then everyone but Japan will have to wait another year for the international version of the event to get their own. :saddowns:

It's a bit hard to say because they've included only one "super-secret" pokemon this generation (well, there's Magearna, but they revealed that one at launch so it doesn't really feel like it counts). Since gen 3 usually there are 3 or so and there's a movie for each, so they get revealed one by one over the 3-4 years of the generation of games. Wonder what that means for the timetable for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hammerite posted:

It's a bit hard to say because they've included only one "super-secret" pokemon this generation (well, there's Magearna, but they revealed that one at launch so it doesn't really feel like it counts). Since gen 3 usually there are 3 or so and there's a movie for each, so they get revealed one by one over the 3-4 years of the generation of games. Wonder what that means for the timetable for this one.

We'll also have to wait a bit longer than usual this time as the next official movie is a reimagining of the first season made for the series' 20th anniversary rather than something actually set during Sun & Moon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 13, 2017

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

My guess is that after the 20th anniversary movie, they'll make a movie about the Ultra Beasts. I don't know if the Cosmog family or Marshadow will make an appearance but it's likely.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe a movie about Pansear followed by a distribution (Japan only, rest of the world gets more bottle caps).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You make that sound like a bad thing, but I really do need a shitload of bottlecaps at this point.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Hidden ability starters would be nice as well. I know Kanto and Kalos starters are readily available through people's friend safaris and Torchic, the Johto starters and Unova starters were given away as events, but have the rest been released recently?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of wish that in a future game they'd include an area where you can just catch old starter Pokemon (maybe make it a post-game area or something). I mean, all these Professors have to be getting them from somewhere right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

I kind of wish that in a future game they'd include an area where you can just catch old starter Pokemon (maybe make it a post-game area or something). I mean, all these Professors have to be getting them from somewhere right?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Friend_Safari

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That's a start I guess, though something that doesn't require another player would be nice too.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Island Scan function in Sun and Moon allows you to catch Jotho and Unova starters in the wild, during the main campaign as well. Unfortunately they don't S.O.S chain them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Houle posted:

Maybe a movie about Pansear followed by a distribution (Japan only, rest of the world gets more bottle caps).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Speaking of forgotten pokemon;

Seel and Dewgong.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dizz posted:

Seel and Dewgong.

Dewgong sure, besides a lazy name they're just a cute seal with a horn, which is cute but not too standout.

Seel on the other hand will live forever in my heart. There's this scene in one of the early episodes where Ash battles Misty for the Cascade Badge, and at one point it cuts to Seel clapping and saying his name and one of the Sisters asks it, "Which side are you clapping for?" I don't kno why but it cracks me up every time, Seel is just happy to be there.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Dewgong sure, besides a lazy name they're just a cute seal with a horn, which is cute but not too standout.

Seel on the other hand will live forever in my heart. There's this scene in one of the early episodes where Ash battles Misty for the Cascade Badge, and at one point it cuts to Seel clapping and saying his name and one of the Sisters asks it, "Which side are you clapping for?" I don't kno why but it cracks me up every time, Seel is just happy to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_A9k7SlU3I

I like the Seel :downs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Houle posted:

would they really make the japanese event that much worse than the international one

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlternateNu posted:

Because who wouldn't want to fist-bump their Pikachu?

I love the expanding mushroom cloud in the background while the trainer dispassionately holds up his arm like a falconer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Yo dudes. I have 3 extra codes for bottlecaps.
They go to the first 3 folks to MSPaint the most forgettable pokemon in their opinion.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nth Doctor posted:

Yo dudes. I have 3 extra codes for bottlecaps.
They go to the first 3 folks to MSPaint the most forgettable pokemon in their opinion.
Umm... probably this guy:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Paul.Power posted:

Sent

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I present to you, New Zealand's new flag... Watchog!

My brother instantly remembered which one this was, but I pretty much did a double take when I was looking through the national dex and saw it. I think it's a serious contender!

...and you're not allowed to say otherwise unless you realized that this is not Watchog, this is Patrat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That's not Watchog, it's Patrat

I immediately realized it, before I read the spoiler

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well drat, maybe it just didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Another factor worth considering when discussing which pokemon is most forgettable is generation. I got into pokemon during Generation VI. This means the Gen V pokemon had the least amount of time for me to discover them via osmosis.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't want your code

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Ariong posted:

I present to you, New Zealand's new flag... Watchog!

My brother instantly remembered which one this was, but I pretty much did a double take when I was looking through the national dex and saw it. I think it's a serious contender!

...and you're not allowed to say otherwise unless you realized that this is not Watchog, this is Patrat.
You've obviously missed the times I've lobbied for Watchog as a utility catching 'mon:

Nth Doctor posted:

Dude, Watchog is great as a poor man's Technician Breloom. It has hypnosis and super fang, which is awesome for taking down high HP monsters.

Nth Doctor posted:

Also: Watchog is awesome and a good dog for learning both super fang and hypnosis. It's great for a poor man's Breloom as I said several times in the last thread.

Nth Doctor posted:

As I post every few months:
Patrat->Watchog

Code is sent, ya bastard.

Heh, I caught this guy at my first opportunity and nicknamed him Fetus. Kept him on my team through most of Black.
Code sent.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Forgettable cat

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

Seel and Dewgong.

Seel is one of my gen 1 favorites. Please be nice to it and look forward to Mega Dewgong in the Diamond/Peal remake. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hrist posted:

look forward to Mega Dewgong in the Diamond/Peal remake.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can never even remember it's name, but mine is great because it took 2 thunders from a Solgaleo in competitive once, without fainting. I like my cure mermaid weird not-seel clown thing.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Paul.Power posted:

This is pokédex number 420 fyi. Just a bit of trivia

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hrist posted:

weird not-seel clown thing.

It's based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Weird legends aside, being based on a monster just makes it better to me. I'm probably gonna make one with actual IVs for my Alola online team now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hrist posted:

Weird legends aside, being based on a monster just makes it better to me. I'm probably gonna make one with actual IVs for my Alola online team now.

Yeah, Popplio and it's evolutions are actually pretty decent overall (plus it can learn Psychic via TM as well as a few Fairy moves which can come in handy). In fact, as long as you have a decent backup team picking the Water starter can carry you through every generation without much trouble (at least, it's worked for me).

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Hrist posted:

Might be one of the only times where Torrent is preferred over the HA. Unless you want water type Hyper Voice over Surf and Scald.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

PSWII60 posted:

Might be one of the only times where Torrent is preferred over the HA. Unless you want water type Hyper Voice over Surf and Scald.

Nice for doubles; I don't think it gets muddy water.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

that ivy guy posted:

Nice for doubles; I don't think it gets muddy water.

It does not, but does that surprise you? As though Primarina would ever let mud anywhere near that lovely visage.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Popplio and it's evolutions are actually pretty decent overall (plus it can learn Psychic via TM as well as a few Fairy moves which can come in handy). In fact, as long as you have a decent backup team picking the Water starter can carry you through every generation without much trouble (at least, it's worked for me).

My actual starter in the game happened to have a beneficial nature. And I've been running Psychic on that one. So that definitely works well. And Moonblast helps a ton too.

PSWII60 posted:

On my starter I ended up using Hydro Pump, Moonblast, Psychic, and I think Hyper Voice as just a filler for the 4th slot. It seems to work well enough. And I don't think the hidden ability is available for Primarina right now anyway. But at least now this settles what my 6th slot on my competitive Alola only team will be. So I'm pretty happy about that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Larryb posted:

I can think of water starers that haven't been great, but I can't think of one that's ever really been bad. Even normal Blastoise holds out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I can think of water starers that haven't been great, but I can't think of one that's ever really been bad. Even normal Blastoise holds out well.

Hell, I was practically able to solo most of the original Pokemon Red with Squirtle and it's evolutions alone and, aside from a few Totem fights being a bit of a pain, Pokemon Moon wasn't too bad either (Totodile, Piplup and Oshawott are pretty decent as well, though I will admit that Mudkip and Froakie take a bit of work before they become useful. Somewhat related but I still find it a bit weird that the X & Y starters can't Mega Evolve).

I've just had a good track record with Water Pokemon (really the only downside is Grass types being a bit of a pain to deal with) in the series and as such I'll probably be sticking with that type when it comes to choosing a starter in future games though Fire is a decent backup as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 14, 2017