Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Thank you for the Bolt Action thoughts.

I'm not anywhere near enough of a WWII expert to be bothered by the realism level; as long as it's a game that plays pretty well as written and lets you make machinegun noises while moving your mans around it will be good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

Thank you for the Bolt Action thoughts.

I'm not anywhere near enough of a WWII expert to be bothered by the realism level; as long as it's a game that plays pretty well as written and lets you make machinegun noises while moving your mans around it will be good enough for me.

I think BA is pretty perfect for what you want in a historical game.

Edit: Great SP battle liljonas. I agree the level of detail in the writing is perfect.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 12, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

I think BA is pretty perfect for what you want in a historical game.

Edit: Great SP battle liljonas. I agree the level of detail in the writing is perfect.

Thanks! Good to hear.

I'm starting to check out Test of Honour, and will probably buy it. Might make some scenarios, should be fun. :)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'll be getting Test of Honour as well, likely after I move at the end of the month.

When I move prepare for an epic litany of failure of me sorting out a gaming space.

But here are resources I have found so far:

http://plastcraftgames.com/en/14-fukei

http://plastcraftgames.com/en/10-colored-fukei

http://www.warlordgames.com/new-japanese-samurai-terrain/

http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/catalogue28.html

http://www.4ground.co.uk/shogunate-japan

Models

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_38

The Perry stuff is very nice and comes in sixes, which is very useful as Test of Honour has infantry units in threes.

http://www.awminiatures.co.uk/store/category.php?id=227

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

http://www.steelfistminiatures.com/products/samurai_and_daimyo

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pike-and-shot/samurai

http://shop.zenitminiatures.es/

These range from reasonable to quite expensive.

Test of Honour will give you all the models you need to play. However I'll definitely pick up some Perry stuff as well.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Does Test of Honour have any batreps out yet or is it all theoryhammer?

muggins posted:

Black Powder is cool, but the command mechanics can make people really upset unless you make their commanders better than average. Basically you can spend a few turns doing nothing if you roll poorly.

You were god damned right about 'above average' commanders, while I guess it makes more sense when there are multiple battalia so a single failed command role in the group (or a rally order) doesn't end the player's turn, a little demo game of P&S against myself turned out like so:

Player 1: "Battalia forward. Failed."
Player 2: "Pike forward. Shotte forward. Failed"
Player 1: "I will rally this group. Failed - over to Player 2"
Player 2: "I will rally this group. Failed - over to Player 1"
Player 1: "I will rally this group. Success!"
Player 2: "I will rally this group. Failed - over to Player 1"
Player 1: "I will charge my cavalry at that Shotte unit. Failed."
Player 2: "I will charge. Success!"

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How the hell do you advance against dug-in MG42's in CoC? We're doing Op. Martlet now, with two platoons on each side, and there are so many CoC dice that smoke doesn't last long.

Anybody tried this campaign? It seems completely hopeless to actually advance across the rear table edge. And it's also really un-fun to play as the attacker.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This looks neato

quote:

TravelBattle is a complete table top miniatures game in a box.
It is intended for gamers who have limited space, or those who are traveling on a long journey or holiday and need a gaming fix!
All the playing pieces are made of coloured plastic, and include two 3 dimensional green terrain boards with separate woods, grey buildings and red and blue armies. The size of the miniatures is 8mm.
The two terrain boards are designed to be placed together on any edge, giving the potential for 16 different battlefields. The 1" grid marked on the boards excludes the need for rulers to be used in the game.
The simple rules system should allow a game to played within an hour.
The two armies are generic Napoleonic forces of equal size and composition which make up three brigades for each side. There is a simple painting guide in case you which to enhance your armies and terrain boards.

Contents:
160 x Infantry
24 x Cavalry
4 x Guns and 12 crew
6 x Brigadiers
2 x 10" 3D Terrain boards
6 x Buildings
4 x Dice
1 x Set of rules

£50.00

Minis, terrain, and boards manufactured by Renedra, available to buy in person at Salute

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3637

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

^ Does Test of Honour have any batreps out yet or is it all theoryhammer?

There's an unboxing on the facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/testofhonour/ but I can't find a batrep yet.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

This looks neato

Minis, terrain, and boards manufactured by Renedra, available to buy in person at Salute

Interesting - I'm going to Salute this year for the first time so hopefully i'll find a game demo? Pendraken will be there too so if I can hold my load for another 6 weeks I may get either the P&S or Black Powder (almost wrote 'Power', there.) troops.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thundercloud posted:

There's an unboxing on the facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/testofhonour/ but I can't find a batrep yet.

The basic rules are released as a free PDF. But the parts with the unit stats etc. are not in the basic rulebook.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

lilljonas posted:

The basic rules are released as a free PDF. But the parts with the unit stats etc. are not in the basic rulebook.

And also the pre-orders don't even go in the post till next Saturday.

But give it a few days after people get the sets and something will go up. They'll have minis already painted and terrain already made. The facebook group is full of people who have already got forces painted.

What's a good source of Onna-bugeisha miniatures? I know Warlord are releasing a pack with one in, but I was thinking of going with a band of them with peasants.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

This looks neato

Does it have magnets?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I made a FIW deployment point - the local town elders are checking out the palisade the militia is working in.

This is loving magical. :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does it have magnets?

It doesn't mention magnets on the store

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

It doesn't mention magnets on the store

Assuming its not vacuum formed and is plastic, shouldn't be too hard to drill the board, if its vacuum formed then it's even easier but will be flimsy as all hell

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I might get that travelbattle set once i'm done with my FoW project!

in other news, my El Alamein box has shipped, which means i finally own the rules for Flames of War! (other than the digital ones i bought in the android app that's now dead)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Welp, I spent 3 hours today getting that FoW v4 book. It's pretty light/condensed. I might read it on the train tomorrow but probably not.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'll have to swing by the FLGS and see if they've stashed me a copy.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I've played quite a bit of black powder and settled on generalship of 9 being a reasonable standard to actually play a game with some 8's scattered in to make things interesting, and very rarely a 10 for an exceptional commander.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

working mom posted:

Assuming its not vacuum formed and is plastic, shouldn't be too hard to drill the board, if its vacuum formed then it's even easier but will be flimsy as all hell

It's plastic, don't know about vacuum formed, this is the only real picture of the boards I've seen, the others are all digital

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

It's plastic, don't know about vacuum formed, this is the only real picture of the boards I've seen, the others are all digital

Yeah I can't imagine them making it vacuum formed in any case, but so long as it's not brittle resin it'll be fine

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ This looks really good - I've been using roll20.net for some silly demo games and the grid system works as a great equivalent to 'base width' for DBA/P&S/etc.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I've played quite a bit of black powder and settled on generalship of 9 being a reasonable standard to actually play a game with some 8's scattered in to make things interesting, and very rarely a 10 for an exceptional commander.

Interesting - that would have made the game alot less static (admittedly I was playing P&S instead of BP but same command issues AFAIK).

- How big were your games?

- How did you handle the force composition on each side? (retrofitting the points-generator system onto troops which are already listed earlier in the book is just painful)

To me it seems that Lasalle is based alot more on DBA, and BP/P&S are based on WHFB (as a kind gent already mentioned), and the former more simulation while the latter is alot more 'gamey'.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

working mom posted:

Yeah I can't imagine them making it vacuum formed in any case, but so long as it's not brittle resin it'll be fine

It's made by Renedra, they do plastic injection moulding, not resin

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Because this is the Historicals thread and because our University just got a grant for the History department to do a study on Military Operations during the war in Afghanistan I feel like I can say that from now on mini's depicting the War on Terror are legit in this thread.

Has anyone heard anything about Spectre Operations? Cause I really want to also run a modern skirmish game.

Or is Ambush Alley still the poo poo?

I'm looking for something fast and light paced - something like Bolt Action Modern but more official.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Force on Force is the newer version of Ambush Alley, it's rather good.

Southern Heel posted:

To me it seems that Lasalle is based alot more on DBA, and BP/P&S are based on WHFB (as a kind gent already mentioned), and the former more simulation while the latter is alot more 'gamey'.
It's actually more Warmaster than WHFB, but that itself was a similar thing.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Interesting - that would have made the game alot less static (admittedly I was playing P&S instead of BP but same command issues AFAIK).

- How big were your games?

- How did you handle the force composition on each side? (retrofitting the points-generator system onto troops which are already listed earlier in the book is just painful)

Scaled the game down to 6mm, measured everything in cm and played on a 4x4 table. Division sized games, with between 3 and 5 brigades of 2-6 regiments a side.

I used the pointing system in the back to make ACW appropriate regiments (and a number of the special rules we came up with ended up being in Glory Hallelujah, which was kind of neat), but I didn't stress at all about making sides totally balanced. We basically just played enough to get a sense of how to balance forces, but mostly we focused on interesting scenario play that was inherently asymmetrical- things like a union gunboat and infantry division advancing on a fortified rebel town, or a large union army getting harried by rebel cavalry and needing to spread thin in order to block off all their avenues of escape. We never did the old "each player plays as each side to determine best general" thing but we never really had games that felt utterly unwinnable. Here's some photos because 6mm mans should be on every page:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

evenworse username posted:

it's a game that plays pretty well as written and lets you make machinegun noises while moving your mans around it will be good enough for me.

Yep! This would be the game for that.

As for historical accuracy: You can get into it if you want, but you don't have to. My current army is sort of a mid-to-late war mish-mash of Germans with early-war vehicles/armor. I worry some super grog is going to come along one day and chew me out about boot lengths but the guys I normally play with don't care at all.

Post your progress if you pick up an army. I've been feeling pretty lonely in this thread lately while everyone is raging about their Napoleonics.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Here's some photos because 6mm mans should be on every page:
These look excellent! I never got into WAAC/Rules-lawyering as I'm much more a narrative kind of person but I can only smile at the heart palpiptations that terrain would give a tourney 40k player- BUT MY GUY IS IN THE CROOK WHERE THERE IS NO RIVER TILE!!!

Arquinsiel posted:

Force on Force is the newer version of Ambush Alley, it's rather good.
It's actually more Warmaster than WHFB, but that itself was a similar thing.

BP/PS are like Warmaster? I never managed to play that - so you could be equally mentioning Lasalle in this context but I gather the former since it's got GW lineage (right?) and so does Priestly! Both of your posts inspired me to try again and be alot less spergy about stats, proportional order-of-battle representation, etc. with both games.

I got out my little bases, made some coloured marks on them and played a game each of Lasalle and BP. Surprisingly, the BP game was just alot more fun (with aforementioned default command value of 9 as per tallkidwithglasses). It might just be a combination of the whole "declare the order for the battalion as if you were the commander" before rolling (which had a chance for success this time) which personified the deal a bit more. I'm still not sold either way and I'll take a lunch-break from work tomorrow to run through both games again (hopefully with video, I tried but ran out of storage space so I've ordered another SD card.)

One of the larger complaints I have with Lasalle so far is the mechanic for close combat: doubling your opponent will instantly kill them - but we're only talking about two vs four, or three vs eight dice (unless you done hosed up bad) each requiring 5+'s so two vs. one success is a massacre, one vs zero success is a massacre, etc.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
P&S/BP are pretty much Warmaster, yeah. Priestly wrote all of them.

Another BP house rule we play with that helps a lot is making Disorder only eat the first move of an order instead of making the unit totally unable to receive orders, so you can still order a Disordered unit to retreat or try to rally them, but you need 2 successes to get 1 success, or 3 successes to get 2. It helps a lot, we had some games where units got stun locked and it was kind of a drag.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When Warmaster was the New Hot Thing in GW I had a demo game of it and was all "I have to roll... to see if my mans... do what I tell them? poo poo GAME :byodood:" because I was a teenager. Now 15 or so years on... it was clearly an awesome system and I regret not buying into it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

ExtraNoise posted:

Yep! This would be the game for that.

As for historical accuracy: You can get into it if you want, but you don't have to. My current army is sort of a mid-to-late war mish-mash of Germans with early-war vehicles/armor. I worry some super grog is going to come along one day and chew me out about boot lengths but the guys I normally play with don't care at all.

Post your progress if you pick up an army. I've been feeling pretty lonely in this thread lately while everyone is raging about their Napoleonics.

Delighted to see that there's a model for a Crocodile. Want a big flamethrowing tank.

I guess if I want to be fussy and have my little dudes be Canadian I just use the British rules?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

When Warmaster was the New Hot Thing in GW I had a demo game of it and was all "I have to roll... to see if my mans... do what I tell them? poo poo GAME :byodood:" because I was a teenager. Now 15 or so years on... it was clearly an awesome system and I regret not buying into it.
To be fair, there's a right way wrong way to do this, and your teenager-self was not wrong to react with a healthy "WTF, man?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

To be fair, there's a right way wrong way to do this, and your teenager-self was not wrong to react with a healthy "WTF, man?"
"WTF, man?" would have been fine, but I think my reaction was more "this is bad and you are bad for liking it" because... teenagers.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

There's a rather cringeworthy ad by TooFatLardies on the Meeples + Miniatures podcast where two Tommys are talking about IGO-UGO being like cricket, it not being the 'real' way and so on. I'm not sure I'm sold on Friction being as equally important as other factors but I did quite like rolling Ork animosity tests, Goblin and snotling leadership tests do to basically anything, etc. I think as discussed here though, there needs to be moderation in its application because words like 'slog', 'stalemate', 'stunlock' are anathema to fun in my view (Eastern Front meat grinder realities aside).

I think I might line up a P&S game tomorrow - but I've got myself in a muddle over this page:

The rules mention that all men are assigned into units. All units are assigned to Battalia. All Battalia have commanders. However, the screenshots show '3 regiments of pike + pair of shotte' - does this mean 9 units? Or that the pike and shotte are somehow amalgamated into a single unit? It seems to be kind of important if my battalia commanders want to get into the nitty gritty of ordering! I interpret like so:

General - large command range, for any Battalia, Regiment or Unit
Battalia Commander - smaller command range, only for his own Battalia or Regiments/Units
Battalia - Collection of Regiments or Units
Regiment - a conjoined set of bases/stands (i.e. pike units flanked by shotte units) activated as a single object
Unit - a single base/stand

Orders can be given at a Battalion, Regiment or Unit level in varying aggregate levels, a failed order wrapping up activations for that whole Battalion.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
So what's the deal with the new Flames of War? Stats on disposable cards? Is that right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Southern Heel posted:

BP/PS are like Warmaster? I never managed to play that - so you could be equally mentioning Lasalle in this context but I gather the former since it's got GW lineage (right?) and so does Priestly! Both of your posts inspired me to try again and be alot less spergy about stats, proportional order-of-battle representation, etc. with both games.

I mean, if that's what you're into, come to the world of moderns and let me spread the good word of Fistful of TOWs where each man or tank can actually represent one man or tank if you're sufficiently crazy dedicated.

http://www.wwpd.net/2015/09/great-danes-fistful-of-tows-aar.html

edit:

Southern Heel posted:

The rules mention that all men are assigned into units. All units are assigned to Battalia. All Battalia have commanders. However, the screenshots show '3 regiments of pike + pair of shotte' - does this mean 9 units? Or that the pike and shotte are somehow amalgamated into a single unit? It seems to be kind of important if my battalia commanders want to get into the nitty gritty of ordering! I interpret like so:

Battalia Commander - smaller command range, only for his own Battalia or Regiments/Units
Regiment - a conjoined set of bases/stands (i.e. pike units flanked by shotte units) activated as a single object

Orders can be given at a Battalion, Regiment or Unit level in varying aggregate levels, a failed order wrapping up activations for that whole Battalion.

I believe you're right in that it would be 9 units, because each block of pikes is a unit, and each wing of shot is a unit, so you'd get 9 in total. Googling backs this up, but just like in Black Powder, there are disagreements on exactly how large each one of those units should be, both in model count and frontage size.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 13, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

There's a rather cringeworthy ad by TooFatLardies on the Meeples + Miniatures podcast where two Tommys are talking about IGO-UGO being like cricket, it not being the 'real' way and so on. I'm not sure I'm sold on Friction being as equally important as other factors but I did quite like rolling Ork animosity tests, Goblin and snotling leadership tests do to basically anything, etc. I think as discussed here though, there needs to be moderation in its application because words like 'slog', 'stalemate', 'stunlock' are anathema to fun in my view (Eastern Front meat grinder realities aside).

I think I might line up a P&S game tomorrow - but I've got myself in a muddle over this page:

I'll have to check my book at home to confirm, but from what I remember, pike blocks + sleeves of crossbow/musket are treated as a single unit when they're on the battlefield to capture how they were commanded on the battlefield. There's an order to make a hedgehog, for instance, where the pikes form a square and the muskets surround them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My CoC rulebooks and bits just game in yeaaaahhhh boiiiii

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

We played P+S as each wing of shotte, pikes being their own unit that can receive its own orders. TBH, it wasn't that great as the bigger games started to get bogged down with orders. The smaller games were fine.

Even tho it's 95% the same as Black Powder it feels different. BP is all about the grand sweep of the lines, while a chinless aristocrat swills port from his position on top the hill, whereas P+S is about clubbing the other guy to death with the butt of your musket.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Commissar Kip posted:

Because this is the Historicals thread and because our University just got a grant for the History department to do a study on Military Operations during the war in Afghanistan I feel like I can say that from now on mini's depicting the War on Terror are legit in this thread.

Has anyone heard anything about Spectre Operations? Cause I really want to also run a modern skirmish game.

Or is Ambush Alley still the poo poo?

I'm looking for something fast and light paced - something like Bolt Action Modern but more official.

Spectre has a really nice looking rulebook but I couldn't tell you how good it is. Skirmish Sangin is really pretty but crunchy as hell. Force on Force is out of print.