Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is getting way too weird. Can't we go back to posting about how the game is bad?

Game is bad and we are all screeching autistically. So what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Norns posted:

It's okay to have healthy emotional investments in your hobbies. You're broken if you don't feel?

Is it normal to be so invested in the game that you send death threats and cupcakes with red, blue, and green frosting to their offices?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's pretty weird if you do both at once tbh.

edit: wait, red blue green. I get it now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is it normal to be so invested in the game that you send death threats and cupcakes with red, blue, and green frosting to their offices?

No. I already said that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

I mean Bioware has this problem apparently. Remember when Jennifer Hepler had to quit the company after the shitstorm that came her way when she said she'd like for games to have an option to skip the combat like you can skip the dialogue?

Death threats were from Dragon Age 2, she went on to work another few years doing Dragon Age Jimquisition, so it's hardly related - but it may have been icing. She literally wanted to do other things like write books and make other types of games.

Not disagreeing that gaming is a toxic community, but holy gently caress the gaming companies don't know how to control poo poo. Keep your employees from communicating directly with the fans, for one loving thing. Use the press, and if a designer needs to do an interview, prep them with PR and legal beforehand.

"why does this rabid dog keep biting me? I just want to pet it, I'm just trying to pet it."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

epenthesis posted:

Bioware asked us to put a lot of hours into that trilogy

Video games are not work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

I really can't think of any worse subset of fans than an entrenched Nintendo only product.

If Witcher 4 or Fallout: Obsidian 2 came out and someone gave either of them a 7/10 half the posters in this thread in Games would be doing the same thing, in word if not in deed. DDoSing Sterling's website is stupid, but it only varies from what some posters already do whenever someone brings up Witcher 3 in a lateral way, not a linear one.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

Death threats were from Dragon Age 2, she went on to work another few years doing Dragon Age Jimquisition, so it's hardly related - but it may have been icing. She literally wanted to do other things like write books and make other types of games.

Not disagreeing that gaming is a toxic community, but holy gently caress the gaming companies don't know how to control poo poo. Keep your employees from communicating directly with the fans, for one loving thing. Use the press, and if a designer needs to do an interview, prep them with PR and legal beforehand.

"why does this rabid dog keep biting me? I just want to pet it, I'm just trying to pet it."

I mean you can't stop people from having social media accounts. Unless you want to take their names off the games or something people will find them and say whatever they want. If I worked in games I wouldn't have a social media account for just such a reason, but I ain't everybody.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lt. Danger posted:

Most of the poo poo you do in daily life isn't. What's your point?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I thought they were shallow self insert wankery, to be honest.

Sapkowskys later stuff is. Stick to like the first 3 or 4

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

I think a more accurate term would be buyer's remorse

$60 per game and about $15 for each of the the dlc can come to a big disappointment when it all ends in a way you don't like

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Serf posted:

Fatneck Catman is the worst, and his whole species is a trash design. This is both some unappealing and uninspired poo poo.

I also do not want to gently caress them

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When you guys say "it went too far" did people get killed over the ME3 ending or do you just mean they complained about it on the internet?

I firmly believe the ending of Mass Effect 3 being bad set off a chain of events that ended with Donald Trump being elected president of the United States.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Norns posted:

Hell I agree with her. Plenty of cool videogame stories my wife would love. But she doesn't like anything with more complexity than Chrono Trigger.

And loving thousands of hours of piccross.

Exactly this. My wife likes seeing some of the more interesting stories out there, but couldn't give two shits about the combat/game portion. Except for Champions of Norrath and Champions 2: Return to Arms. We have put an unhealthy amount of hours into those PS2 "Classics"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Norns posted:

Most of the poo poo you do in daily life isn't. What's your point?

epenthesis is implying that playing the Mass Effect video games is onerous in some way - investing hours into the series is an act of deferred gratification that pays off when you get a Good and Fun Ending, which Bioware didn't deliver. I think this approach is just asking for disappointment.

SgtSteel91 posted:

$60 per game and about $15 for each of the the dlc can come to a big disappointment when it all ends in a way you don't like

Maybe, but the ending can only 'poison the well' if you let it.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 13, 2017

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

It's interesting that you start victim blaming, given your previous comments in this thread about women.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

This is why I can't ever truly hate the ending of ME3, because to me Citadel is the ending. And that was the most fun I've had on any of Bioware's DLC. Fittingly, it was only beaten out when the Blood and Wine DLC came out.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bioware keeps hiring fans to write for them which is prolly why all their stories are poo poo and most of their characters are too

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

If Witcher 4 or Fallout: Obsidian 2 came out and someone gave either of them a 7/10 half the posters in this thread in Games would be doing the same thing, in word if not in deed. DDoSing Sterling's website is stupid, but it only varies from what some posters already do whenever someone brings up Witcher 3 in a lateral way, not a linear one.

I have since forgotten it, but there was a pretty solid review about why the reviewer didn't like WItcher 3. It was fair. They acknowledged the good points, and went on to explain what parts they didn't enjoy - and it's cool.

I will say, Witcher 3 extended auto combat flourishes are fuckin' retarded. That has led to more deaths than anything for me. I could understand why someone would be put off by the combat. I think I have a mod that fixes that, though.

And for my money, Obsidian lost my confidence when they release the world's most boringest rpg aka Pillars of Eternity. Tyranny was a step back up, but that was from their B-division. I haven't even started inXile's Torment, I'm not sure I can stand another text-heavy poo poo rpg. I'll have to check out some reviews.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I was waiting for that shot to come up in this thread.

Maybe they'll add M-8 Avengers to their hands in the Day-One Patch

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

definitely one of the weirder xcom 2 soldier replacement mods i've seen

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did...did you just take my action figures out of the box!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Bioware keeps hiring fans to write for them which is prolly why all their stories are poo poo and most of their characters are too

yeah I firmly believe that fans should never write for the stuff they grew up with. One of the (many) reasons that current Simpsons is the shambling hell beast it is today

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible weapons. Trully next gen alien technology. Maybe they should fix their weird legs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zelder posted:

yeah I firmly believe that fans should never write for the stuff they grew up with. One of the (many) reasons that current Simpsons is the shambling hell beast it is today

Or basically any comic book property ever.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Did...did you just take my action figures out of the box!

Is this Small Soldiers but real

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also the return of Futurama. Which wasn't out and out bad, but it was essentially the tv show equivalent of a tepid glass of water

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That screenshot looks like that movie Toy Soldiers. Like, it just looks bad.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's interesting that you start victim blaming, given your previous comments in this thread about women.

What are my previous comments? If they were about alien women, it was likely about having sex with them. I think my last legit comment about women was that Cora seemed like an okay character and her hair didn't deserve the flak it was getting?

It's also not victim blaming, it's called mitigation and management of an otherwise toxic as gently caress environment. When you have employees getting uncontrollably chummy with strangers who have zero filter online you're laying the ground for unhealthy interactions. You're never going to stop poo poo like that, basically the medium itself needs to get older to get less hosed. In previous jobs I have trained and coached employees on how to safely engage with customers and de-escalate certain scenarios, and not once have I ever said after a confrontation "Hey, this was your fault" to a coworker even if they didn't stick to training. An rear end in a top hat's an rear end in a top hat and gonna do what an rear end in a top hat does, and there is no 100% surety in prevention methods.

If your business has an ad budget of at least a quarter of your production budget (or you're working in tens of millions) you need to behave differently when communicating with your buyers. Full stop.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 13, 2017

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Obviously the Andromeda Galaxy developed along the path of stop-motion claymation

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

What are my previous comments? If they were about alien women, it was likely about having sex with them. I think my last legit comment about women was that Cora seemed like an okay character and her hair didn't deserve the flak it was getting?

It's also not victim blaming, it's called mitigation and management of an otherwise toxic as gently caress environment. When you have employees getting uncontrollably chummy with strangers who have zero filter online you're laying the ground for unhealthy interactions. You're never going to stop poo poo like that, basically the medium itself needs to get older to get less hosed. In previous jobs I have trained and coached employees on how to safely engage with customers and de-escalate certain scenarios, and not once have I ever said after a confrontation "Hey, this was your fault" to a coworker even if they didn't stick to training. An rear end in a top hat's an rear end in a top hat and gonna do what an rear end in a top hat does, and there is no 100% surety in prevention methods.

If your business has an ad budget of at least a quarter of your production budget (or you're working in tens of millions) you need to behave differently when communicating with your buyers. Full stop.

No, that's still victim blaming. That kind of victim blaming is the reason victim blaming still exists.

You're not wrong about reasonable precautions, but you're still putting the emphasis on the people who were hurt by someone else.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

My apologies, I got confused with another poster with a dog avatar who got probated in here. I do understand your point, but I think the point she made was perfectly fine in context, and there's not an easy way to avoid toxic, insane fans taking anything and runnimg with it.
Saying that the answer is to basically prevent employees from having any public interaction is probably not right though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That's a BEAR DAMMIT

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Honestly the scan mechanic in Andromeda looks preferable to me because I didn't like how Witcher Sense looked.
They later patched it to make it a little customizable. They let you turn off the Fish-Eye effect and added a toggle for a color-blind friendly mode. There are probably also a few mods that change it as well.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zelder posted:

Also the return of Futurama. Which wasn't out and out bad, but it was essentially the tv show equivalent of a tepid glass of water

Futurama was good. Now I want a licensed Futurama game that plays like a wacky Mass Effect game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I thought this tweet chain was interesting:

quote:

Dave Schreurs‏ @daveschreurs
I have a small question. Is it possible to make a "Jedi Knight" Character and only use sword/biotics the (almost) the whole game?

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
Possible, yes, but very tough. The game is balanced with the assumption that you use guns to some extent.

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
If you want to try this, I suggest specing your powers to eat shields instead of CD & use vanguard profile for shield steal.

First I'd heard that Vanguard can steal shields.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Is this Small Soldiers but real

No this is a video game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought this tweet chain was interesting:

First I'd heard that Vanguard can steal shields.

The idea of being a vanguard with a melee weapon gives me a semi

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Drifter posted:

It's what it sounds like. We'll see what they actually implemented, though. The Hinterlands was also the first location I believe, which maybe means they've just kept all the same poo poo, but spread it out more evenly over the game. :shrug:

Bioware said they had intended for the game to be sort of a buffet where people would pick and choose what type quests they wanted to complete. However, players would try to be completionist and get burned out on content they didn't like. The other issue is that Inquisition had it's roots in being an online service game which carried over into the final product, such as timers and MMO style quests.

Their game still won the most GoTY awards in 2014 so who knows how they'll incorporate feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Was Inquisition really supposed to be a MMO?

This keeps being brought up but is there evidence or just conjecture from the MMO style gameplay?