Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

The Berzerker posted:

speaking of Amy, has anyone ever thought a female comic was secretly writing a male comic's jokes? no? because this is some thinly veiled misogyny? oh OK cool

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know that much of Schumer's work, so I didn't want to assume there was no truth to the claim. Jeselnik sucks, though. "Ooh,, look how edgy and offensive I am!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
If you think that of Jeselnik's work, you wouldn't like hers is all I'm saying.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

speaking of Amy, has anyone ever thought a female comic was secretly writing a male comic's jokes? no? because this is some thinly veiled misogyny? oh OK cool

Jay Mohr/Nikki Cox :colbert:

It's not too far of a stretch that maybe his joke writing style rubbed off on her while they were together. Then they broke up and she got all her ideas from obscure YouTube sketches :v:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
To be fair the only reason we think that is because Mohr says it all the time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apoplexy posted:

Speaking of Amy, does anyone have any doubts that Anthony Jeselnik was totally writing her stuff for the first years (when she was funny)?

Does anyone have any doubts that Apoplexy is a misogynist piece of poo poo?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm learning quite quickly here that any criticism of a woman is misogyny. I should've known that nuance (she was funny/funnier years ago when she was coincidentally doing material identical to Anthony Jeselnik's and they were dating) wouldn't go over well here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

I'm learning quite quickly here that any criticism of a woman is misogyny. I should've known that nuance (she was funny/funnier years ago when she was coincidentally doing material identical to Anthony Jeselnik's and they were dating) wouldn't go over well here.

I'm not super familiar with her way older stuff. Maybe present some jokes she did before that were 'identical' if you wanna make that case then? Because yes, the idea that a female comic CLEARLY had a male comic ghost-writing her when you felt she was funniest is kinda hosed up when presented as the sole argument with no proof or anything.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I can kinda see his point. Schumer used to do a lot more unconnected one liners. Her first album is all one liners. Her more recent stuff is more traditional standup. I don't think I'd go so far as to say he was writing her jokes, but I definitely think there's something to the idea that he influenced her early material. I also liked her better back then, fwiw.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 14, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
The misogyny comes into play when the first conclusion you jump to is that a man must have wrote her old jokes because they are funnier than her current jokes.

The problem you're speaking of is one MOST comics have (old stuff was better than new stuff: well, you get all the years leading up to your first album to pull from, all your best jokes, all subsequent albums are just what you've had time to write since then).

When Burr's last special or Louis last special or whoever the gently caress's last special wasn't as good as their previous, you didn't jump to the same conclusion. And that is where the misogyny lies. Your brain has been trained to think a certain way.

And that's not even the biggest issue. The biggest issue is your stubborn, inability to even examine that and just write everyone else off as a PC liberal throwing down the misogyny card. That's the real issue.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What also tickles me is you defaulted to her ghost writer being a guy she blew way the gently caress past and hasn't really done poo poo since he got his CC show cancelled meanwhile she's a loving movie star lol. That blindness there is ALSO part of your misogyny.

Also god drat lol if you think Anthony and schumer are similar enough where you think that. If anything they are both NYC comics that suckled their influence from Attel.

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 14, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

XIII posted:

I can kinda see his point. Schumer used to do a lot more unconnected one liners. Her first album is all one liners. Her more recent stuff is more traditional standup. I don't think I'd go so far as to say he was writing her jokes, but I definitely think there's something to the idea that he influenced her early material. I also liked her better back then, fwiw.

fuckin misogynist pig

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

XIII posted:

Yeah, I'll go with this.

Also, I hope Jeselnik starts loving Burr or CK.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Jeselnik is great. Schumer is not.

Welp, that's my contribution to this conversation.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Misogyny isn't just calling Famous Female Comedian a oval office in the YouTube comments section. Sometimes it's asking if a successful comic had her entire routine written by her boyfriend in his spare time.

It's so stupid on so many levels. Thinking a comic who writes sociopathic one-liners could also write hours of personal comedy about being a young woman who simultaneously celebrates and ridicules her trashiness. Or that if he even ~could~ do that... that he has the spare time in addition to his own career. Or that if he ~had~ that spare time, what exactly is his end game? That she'd pay him for the entire routine when she got a TV show? Or he did it to get laid? It's so stupid, the only explanation is deeply ingrained misogyny and it sucks to be called out on it but grow some balls, champ. You're a guy, you can take being called out.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Come on guys! Please don't misogyny in this thread!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Misogyny isn't just calling Famous Female Comedian a oval office in the YouTube comments section. Sometimes it's asking if a successful comic had her entire routine written by her boyfriend in his spare time.

It's so stupid on so many levels. Thinking a comic who writes sociopathic one-liners could also write hours of personal comedy about being a young woman who simultaneously celebrates and ridicules her trashiness. Or that if he even ~could~ do that... that he has the spare time in addition to his own career. Or that if he ~had~ that spare time, what exactly is his end game? That she'd pay him for the entire routine when she got a TV show? Or he did it to get laid? It's so stupid, the only explanation is deeply ingrained misogyny and it sucks to be called out on it but grow some balls, champ. You're a guy, you can take being called out.

Lol stay woke brother

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A decent list of last year's specials in form of a Google Docs Best Of 2016 poll.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You realize you're a moron, right? Like, read the above post. Comprehend it. Anthony and Amy are similar, and for some reason he decided to write her whole act (rather than switching the pronouns and keeping any of the jokes for himself? Remember, they're so similar) and helped her blow up and for...what? To not even be staffed on her show, to not even be her opener on her tour...but yeah, you're right, he was totally the brains!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Knucklebear posted:

I just watched Trevor Noah's new netflix special. All in all it was pretty meh. It really shows how smart the Daily Show's writers are. Trevor's timing and instincts are good but his jokes just aren't that deep.

It was alright, but watching it right after Michael Che was a bad idea. So many similar premises, but Noah just doesn't have the stand-up chops that Che has. It was still funny, and I still like TDS.

Jurgan posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know that much of Schumer's work, so I didn't want to assume there was no truth to the claim. Jeselnik sucks, though. "Ooh,, look how edgy and offensive I am!"

His most recent special addressed this in a very un-Jesselnik style. I liked.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's the same poo poo that Courtney Love has gotten with every musical success. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol yo why was Che your go to comparison for Trevor? They are not alike at all...

Also LOL that Trevor doesn't have the stand up chops Che has. Do you know who Trevor is? Do you know how long he has been doing stand up and how long Che has?

GoldfishStew fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 14, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Out of the misogyny pan and into the racism fire

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Lol stay woke brother

This is the male on male version of white knighting btw.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol yo why was Che your go to comparison for Trevor? They are not alike at all...

Also LOL that Trevor doesn't have the stand up chops Che has. Do you know who Trevor is? Do you know how long he has been doing stand up and how long Che has?

ChickenArise posted:

watching it right after Michael Che

Because I watched them back-to-back on the same service and they had some similar premises? It's OK if you prefer Trevor Noah. They're both talented and funny. :love:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is the male on male version of white knighting btw.

Laughing at you?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Laughing at you?

Yeah.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I bet you know the male on male version for nearly everything

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Because you're a fag. Get it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
^^^ Dawg... rude, yo.

Diane Spencer is a British standup. She's been releasing her specials for free on Youtube for years now and her latest came out a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty good. I've chuckled more at it than I did at a lot of this year's Netflix/Seeso specials.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 14, 2017

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Because you're a fag. Get it?

Folks, this is what happens when you have sons who have been probated for saying "fag" more times than they've felt the touch of a woman. It's OK, buddy. I love you and cherish you. And I hope you release the anger that's inside you in more positive ways moving forward. If only there was a medium, a talkative outlet of sorts, that let you do this while standing up.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Folks, this is what happens when you have sons who have been probated for saying "fag" more times than they've felt the touch of a woman. It's OK, buddy. I love you and cherish you. And I hope you release the anger that's inside you in more positive ways moving forward. If only there was a medium, a talkative outlet of sorts, that let you do this while standing up.

Why are you writing like you're performing bad comedy for a live crowd ?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
:thejoke:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Why are you writing like you're performing bad comedy for a live crowd ?

Yeah.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Jesus Christ go listen to Anthony cumia.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
nah i'd rather laugh at 2 fragile lil babies getting mad about some guy's theory on amy schumer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
as long as we all agree that it's a dumb theory that doesn't clear the low bar of "how would this even make sense?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Schumer is a victim of Hollywood's greed. They saw in her a chance to get a piece of the fat white woman demo, which Lena Dunham so expertly proved is a great moneymaker. But we can't blame show business for trying to make money. Fat white women is still a largely untapped well. There's a lot of layers to be explored there. The next Amy Schumer will come along as soon as one of the semi-attractive white woman comics gains a few pounds. Shouldn't take long, women can balloon up quite quickly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
layers

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

gently caress yes we've entered the "lol you're mad" "lol no you're mad i'm chill" part of the thread

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Wow this thread is garbage and so are most of the posters within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Wow this thread is garbage and so are most of the posters within.

At least you're self aware