Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

It came back to bite us in the rear end?? But problem went away. :saddowns: I wonder what the reaction will be when climate change creates some real refugee streams?

"gently caress off, we're full." If liberalism survives that world at all, it's going to be liberalism within militarized borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
fuckin' asselineau on tf1 lol

le candidat du frexit

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Erdogan says he's taking the Netherlands to the European Court of Human Rights, and somehow managed not to die from acute irony poisoning.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/841353218177302528

This sure is one glorified pissing contest between two leaders trying to win voters in their respective nations by posturing. Obviously none of them are backing down since they both massively benefit by nationalist sentiments being drummed up. Seriously, why is this even getting media coverage anymore.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

This sure is one glorified pissing contest between two leaders trying to win voters in their respective nations by posturing. Obviously none of them are backing down since they both massively benefit by nationalist sentiments being drummed up. Seriously, why is this even getting media coverage anymore.

Even if they're squabbling for cynical reasons, the fact that NATO allies are fighting on that level is genuinely newsworthy. Actions have consequences, even if they're dumb actions. This isn't the kind of rhetoric that's forgotten a week later.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sinteres posted:

"gently caress off, we're full." If liberalism survives that world at all, it's going to be liberalism within militarized borders.

now if we move away from this best-case scenario...

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

le candidat du frexit

The equal telly time requirement is a godsend. Asselineau or Dupont-Aignan having to explain for hours that their platform is "FN, but not as successful" is a nice bit of comic relief in this election

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Even if they're squabbling for cynical reasons, the fact that NATO allies are fighting on that level is genuinely newsworthy. Actions have consequences, even if they're dumb actions. This isn't the kind of rhetoric that's forgotten a week later.

What consequences? The Netherlands is a small tax-haven, it doesn't have any reason's to give a poo poo what Turkey thinks and much less so in election season when bowing down to foreign power ran by a in all but name modern day sultan would be giving Gert Wilders everything he's ever dreamed of. Unless Erdogan breaks the refugee agreement for a dispute of this little importance, which mind you would burn what little diplomatic bridges he has left with Germany, he has no chips to barter here. This seems like precisely the kind of empty rhetoric that will get swept under the rug the moment it stops being useful for both parties.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Meh, we can live with it. I mean, Turkey is still illegally occupying EU territory in northern Cyprus after decades and Greece and Turkey have been at each others throat for much longer than that. NATO has been a big dysfunctional family for a looong time

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

le candidat du frexit
The poor man pasqua. He is like that Jesus Christ painting "restoration".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Meh, we can live with it. I mean, Turkey is still illegally occupying EU territory in northern Cyprus after decades and Greece and Turkey have been at each others throat for much longer than that. NATO has been a big dysfunctional family for a looong time

Well, what I mean is that I don't think the nationalism being whipped up in these campaigns is going to be safely put back in a box when it's no longer convenient. The people of these countries are being taught to hate and fear one another.

blowfish posted:

now if we move away from this best-case scenario...

Yeah. The future isn't going to be pretty.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Well, what I mean is that I don't think the nationalism being whipped up in these campaigns is going to be safely put back in a box when it's no longer convenient. The people of these countries are being taught to hate and fear one another.

Yeah but that's been the political climate of every EU member state with no exceptions since 2015.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
It's so ridiculous that Turkey actually joining the EU in the foreseeable future was a legitimate scare tactic used in the Brexit campaign as if it was even remotely plausible.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's so ridiculous that Turkey actually joining the EU in the foreseeable future was a legitimate scare tactic used in the Brexit campaign as if it was even remotely plausible.

Yeah. They're joining any day now. Sure. Totally within the next 5 10 20 50 150 years. In now way is this continuing entry process a face saving exercise.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

blowfish posted:

Yeah. They're joining any day now. Sure. Totally within the next 5 10 20 50 150 years. In now way is this continuing entry process a face saving exercise.

Well, we have no idea how things will look in 5-10 years. While I would agree that is unlikely, you could see a scenario where Erdogan loses the referendum and over the next years internal conflicts in the AKP lead to it's downfall with a new EU-friendly government in power, do everything the EU wants and get rewarded with the membership.

Probably a sub 10% chance that this happens, but who would have predicted that Donald J. Trump becomes US president and the UK leaves the EU ten years ago?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, we have no idea how things will look in 5-10 years. While I would agree that is unlikely, you could see a scenario where Erdogan loses the referendum and over the next years internal conflicts in the AKP lead to it's downfall with a new EU-friendly government in power, do everything the EU wants and get rewarded with the membership.

Probably a sub 10% chance that this happens, but who would have predicted that Donald J. Trump becomes US president and the UK leaves the EU ten years ago?

It's a lot easier for things to go wrong than for things to go right.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GaussianCopula posted:

What a crap comparison. If any of the constituent parts of the UK or states of the US had a veto over Brexit or Trump then it wouldn't happen. EU members have a veto over new members. Even if a EU friendly super-government swept to power in Turkey it'd still be a long shot.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why did we even consider Turkey joining Europe in the first place, erdogan or not

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

unpacked robinhood posted:

Why did we even consider Turkey joining Europe in the first place, erdogan or not

We didn't.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

throw to first drat IT posted:

https://vimeo.com/207997372

Have this example of efficient finnish decision making. It has subs for your pleasure.

Pro click. There's a GBS gold thread somewhere in this.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

unpacked robinhood posted:

To annoy the Soviets.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GaussianCopula posted:

You'd need for an EU and Muslim/immigrant-friendly government to sweep into power across the EU for them to be let in, even if they turned things around and become a solid democracy. Or do you think Germany and its many Turks will get to just decide on its own to let Turkey in?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

To annoy the Soviets.

and then end of history, a glorious thousand years of low effort liberalism, etc.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/mathieuvonrohr/status/841402776534028288

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Vive la France.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Is France enjoying a reverse-SYRIZA move, where the more rational middle-left destroys the traditional left.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

rational middle-left

None of those words apply to Macron, except maybe "middle"

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

MiddleOne posted:

What consequences? The Netherlands is a small tax-haven, it doesn't have any reason's to give a poo poo what Turkey thinks and much less so in election season when bowing down to foreign power ran by a in all but name modern day sultan would be giving Gert Wilders everything he's ever dreamed of. Unless Erdogan breaks the refugee agreement for a dispute of this little importance, which mind you would burn what little diplomatic bridges he has left with Germany, he has no chips to barter here. This seems like precisely the kind of empty rhetoric that will get swept under the rug the moment it stops being useful for both parties.
The Netherlands is the sixth biggest economy in the EU actually, with a larger GDP than Turkey. What Turkey thinks kind of matters to them because there is a fairly large population with Turkish heritage in their country that the Turkish government is trying to control.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

So France moves on from the President Normal to the President Mediocre.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mais quelle grosse merde

blowfish posted:

So France moves on from the President Normal to the President Mediocre.

LOL, welcome to 2014.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kassad posted:

Mais quelle grosse merde

One step further into the two party state :unsmigghh:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Entropist posted:

The Netherlands is the sixth biggest economy in the EU actually, with a larger GDP than Turkey. What Turkey thinks kind of matters to them because there is a fairly large population with Turkish heritage in their country that the Turkish government is trying to control.

For the AKP in particular the expat Turks are important because

a) They are mostly from Anatolia, the more conservative (some might say backwater) part of Turkey, where the AKP is traditionally strong
b) They don't experience the current situation in Turkey first hand, but have to rely on Erdogan controlled media

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So about this war of words not mattering:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/841409249485967360

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Let's build a wall and make Turkey pay for it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

blowfish posted:

Let's build a wall and make Turkey pay for it.

You are Wolfgang Schäuble and I claim my five pounds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Ironically the UK were the biggest promoter of Turtry*.

*Turkey entry. Because everything needs godawful portmanteau names that make your eyes barf blood when you see them.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Sinteres posted:

So about this war of words not mattering:

It's ok, we can let Macedonia and Albania to stop the hordes. Greece can handle the rest.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Greece just needs 300 good men.

And apparently The Netherlands was really close to having an event at the Turkish embassy or some place like that on the Saturday after the elections, but Erdogan had to posture at a rally and that pretty much ended dropped a nuke on the negotiations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Ironically the UK were the biggest promoter of Turtry*.

sounds like the most disgusting sandwich filling available in the cheap train startion kiosk

Mierenneuker posted:

Greece just needs 300 good men.

Whatever happens, Greece has got
German-made machine guns, and they have, too, actually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Greece has broomsticks? Or :thejoke:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Is France enjoying a reverse-SYRIZA move, where the more rational middle-left destroys the traditional left.

I'd ask you why you think neoliberalism is rational when it's failed for the last 30 years, but:

https://twitter.com/Nordpresse/status/841424895141642240

Turns out the Valls thing was a prank from "satirical" "website" Nordpresse. Saying it like that, you'd be tempted to check out their website for more jokes, and you'd find none. They're just one of those unfunny The Onion ripoffs that mostly exists to fool people who aren't paying attention into reporting what they publish.