Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oddium posted:

Buddy would die within a year, being hit by a car in 2002.[6]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah oddium be courteous when it comes to sharing upsetting history like that. We have at least one actual dog posting here.

Snak posted:

"HK Project", that game where you play as a cat in a Kowloon Walled City-inspired city is still in dev...

Kowloon Walled City was a lawless enclave with abhorrent living conditions but something about it always fascinated me. I've always wanted to play a game set in it or places like it. A few areas in Chris' campaign in RE6 almost scratches that itch, but not quite.

Edit: this game looks great already

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

Kowloon Walled City was a lawless enclave with abhorrent living conditions but something about it always fascinated me. I've always wanted to play a game set in it or places like it. A few areas in Chris' campaign in RE6 almost scratches that itch, but not quite.

Kowloon plays a big part in Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

And Shenmue II.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mak0rz posted:

There was a great podcast about it, that also delves into Treyarch designers talking about recreating the place for COD Black Ops

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i want an assassins creed game set in Hong Kong or Tokyo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fridge corn posted:

i want an assassins creed game set in Hong Kong or Tokyo

just play Mark of the Ninja

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mak0rz posted:

Edit: this game looks great already

This might be the fastest I've gone from "I've never heard of that" to "I must have it now"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

If you're hooked up directly to a cable line or whatever you'll be Ok. Resolution would depend on how fast your internet is, of course, but reducing lag is the most important thing. It's untenably laggy on wifi, for example, regardless of your actual network speed.

There's a week-long trial, so just give it a shot and see how it works for you if you're interested.

I've always played PS Now over wifi and even when playing Sonic or other fast games have not noticed input lag, certainly not "untenably laggy". We also don't even have a particularly fast ISP and the router and PS4 are in different rooms with two walls between them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

And Shenmue II.

And an optional dungeon in Shadow Hearts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOCCHBuXmIw

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

It is incredibly realized as well. I was thinking HK would be kind of a tired setting compared to the Berlin Flux State but I was very glad to be wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Shadowrun: Hong Kong rules.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Here's the blog for HK project. It's not anywhere near close to finished, probably just a hobby right now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Walled City features prominently in The Bourne Supremecy novel and lots of literature. It's cited heavily throughout cyberpunk lit and media as a primary influence. Something about the layers upon layers of unregulated, unfettered, and blind-eyed development. Synthetic design growing and expanding itself like an organic creature.

There's a photo book about it: https://www.amazon.com/City-Darkness-Life-Kowloon-Walled/dp/1873200137 But the price has only ever risen, outpacing my willingness to spend increasing amounts of money on it.

In other news, what if I just used the HZD map for mainline quest stuff and tried to explore everything else organically? I'm happy to hear there's no mini-map or anything.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You could easily get by doing that. Just don't buy the collection maps and you'd be fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

This game never actually came out which makes oddly sad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

This game never actually came out which makes oddly sad.

Awww :(

:rip: Socks and Socks' video game career.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh huh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socksthecat/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons

Some dude acquired the rights and whatever was made and ran a successful kickstarter to finish it and I guess he's gonna have it come out by July at latest. It'll be an interesting novelty at least.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh huh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socksthecat/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons

Some dude acquired the rights and whatever was made and ran a successful kickstarter to finish it and I guess he's gonna have it come out by July at latest. It'll be an interesting novelty at least.

Nah, gently caress rich assholes that buy up prototypes and try to poo poo out a buck on it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Nah, gently caress rich assholes that buy up prototypes and try to poo poo out a buck on it.

I really don't see the problem here. Dude obtained a rare collector's piece and wants to make it available to the general public while making sure the funding covers distribution, legal fees, art, and making the game into something that has an end state and doesn't just end at a kill screen.

:shrug: It's not like he picked it up and put it on ebay for several hundred thousands of dollars or spent millions on it just to brag about not releasing it to people

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's pretty easy to make a rom available to the public, actually, and I don't think you'll find many people lamenting the loss of an end state to a mascot platformer on the SNES.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, as soon as he finishes, that rom will be leaked just the same, so if a guy wants to raise money to finish it, that doesn't seem worth getting huffy admit.

Acting like the guy is scum for buying it in the first place but also claiming no one cares about it seems contradictory.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Like, as soon as he finishes, that rom will be leaked just the same, so if a guy wants to raise money to finish it, that doesn't seem worth getting huffy admit.

Acting like the guy is scum for buying it in the first place but also claiming no one cares about it seems contradictory.

To play? Absolutely nobody should care about it. As an archive? Yeah let's just butcher it before releasing it even though I'm not the original dev or anything.

Like he's not the worst person in the world and "Socks the Cat" is hardly the most important archival item either but if your first response to having a rare piece of history is to try and make a buck off it he can go gently caress himself.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
VideoGames, please give me a VGRVG on Kirby Air Ride. If you give it the wrong score I'm never talking to you again

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No pressure haha

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

$20 seems steep for that socks game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's should be free because it was never actually finished. It's stupid to turn it into a commercial product but capitalism is unstoppable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I have the City of Darkness book and it rules.

KWC is a place it's almost hard to believe actually existed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

That cat is dead.

He lived a hell of a lot longer than you'd have expected. Didn't kick the bucket until 2009. Good run for a famous cat.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

VideoGames, please give me a VGRVG on Kirby Air Ride. If you give it the wrong score I'm never talking to you again

I will need to play it! What system is it on?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

The GCN. (Game Cube Nintendo.)

e: It doesn't fit in to any of your planned months for the year though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

It's should be free because it was never actually finished. It's stupid to turn it into a commercial product but capitalism is unstoppable.

I mean, I'm sure it will continue to be until things like food, shelter, and health are a part of capitalism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

I mean, if he gave out the original prototype in addition to his finished version would there still be a problem? I think that's a fine compromise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dragonfall is chronologically the first of the recent Shadowrun games, right? Which class is best?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

Dragonfall is chronologically the first of the recent Shadowrun games, right? Which class is best?

Idk if you mean ~timeline wise~ or in terms of release dates, the first Harebrained Shadowrun game was actually Shadowrun Returns but the thing is that Returns isn't really as compelling as the other two were so you can afford to skip it. I don't think there's a class you can't do well with but if you're going to go for any sort of shootman I recall that there's no reason not simply spec in rifles over pistols or SMGs.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
In terms of overall game structure a decker is a really good choice for Dragonfall, the designated decker companion is both kinda lame character wise and not terribly good at their job compared to a PC decker. It also works nicely because it pays to dip into biotech with karma for story flavor stuff and the high int build makes that easy.

For standard combat it's dealer's choice for ranged combat weapon, just remember it's the actual quickness + ranged combat scores that determines your chance to hit, pumping the weapon skills just gives you new abilities and increases crit chance. Going for a decker/rigger combo actually works out as well, my first run in the game was that and it was a powerhouse build with lots of map options.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

To play? Absolutely nobody should care about it. As an archive? Yeah let's just butcher it before releasing it even though I'm not the original dev or anything.

Like he's not the worst person in the world and "Socks the Cat" is hardly the most important archival item either but if your first response to having a rare piece of history is to try and make a buck off it he can go gently caress himself.

But he's not butchering it...part of the kickstarter was that if it got funded, he'd release both the original rom for people to check out and the updated thing that's being worked on

e:

Kickstarter Page posted:

Then in 2011 things got really interesting. A private collector allowed a friend to shoot some video footage and upload it to YouTube of what appeared to be the Socks the Cat video game. Instant vitriol would follow. While some were happy there was finally proof of the existence of the long lost game, others were upset that the collector would not release the game for others to enjoy. One thing was clear, the 20 years of speculation were over. Socks did exist. This created even more questions.

Was it complete? Did it play well? What was the plan for it? Well those answers would start to be answered in 2012 when another collector, Tom Curtin, purchased the only known copy of Socks. His plans were simple, he wanted to release the game. He has since teamed up with retro video game publisher, Second Dimension. Finally, hope.

Curtin would acquire the rights to Socks the Cat a couple of years later and pursue the release. He hired a dream team of retro game experts. A publisher, a programmer, an artist, and two experts in releasing previously unreleased games. They would work together to bring Socks the Cat, the most anticipated unreleased game of all-time to reality. And we're off!!

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

so another youtuber is a racist woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My backlog list was updated to include Civ 5 because it's one of my GF games that I forgot to include on the list and also Oceanhorn which I just bought because it's half price. Oceanhorn is a game I've been itching to get to for a long time. I can't afford a Switch or WiiU to play Breath of the Wild so this will have to do to scratch that Zelda itch.

• Locked thread