Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's also a Wrath Of Khan reference tossed in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

He broke his leg in like the first week of shooting so he couldn't walk much. Making for a slow boring movie with a stupid plot. Ghosts of Mars was better. The 10 seconds looking at the medals Kurt Russell got from killing all the "Alien" aliens, aliens from the thing and bladerunner robots does not make up for a 2 hour movie being awful.

I watched Ghosts of Mars for the first time last week. It was really really bad. Did I miss something? Is it actually genius?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

UmOk posted:

I watched Ghosts of Mars for the first time last week. It was really really bad. Did I miss something? Is it actually genius?

Nah

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

UmOk posted:

Both movies have the same director that is out of time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghosts of Mars is steamy garbage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm a huge Carpenter fan (and a huge sucker for movies about Mars) and I've never seen it.

I'm probably better off keeping it that way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
John carpenter was his best in the 80s. His later movies just look so out of place while all the others are so close in production values.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vampires is good and fun tho

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Vampires is a God drat blast. James Woods talking about getting wood, it's the best.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
In the Mouth of Madness is amazing too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was friends with the head of the music for film dept at my college and he refused to listen to my opinions on movies because he heard me once praising Ghosts of Mars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ghosts of Mars might actually be tied with Mars Needs Moms as the worst movie about Mars.

It's actually pretty similar to Soldier in that on paper it sounds amazing. John Carpenter directs a futuristic remake of Assault on Precinct 13/Rio Bravo where space cops Pam Grier, Natasha Henstridge, Ice Cube and Jason Statham have to apprehend a dangerous criminal on Mars but it turns out almost everyone in the mining colony they go do is dead and the rest possessed and/or under the control of Marilyn Manson playing a gang leader/zombie ghost warlord. I was there opening day. Oh my God it's so bad.

How do you gently caress this up so bad.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 13, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the impossibility of the Eggmorph to me seems way more lovecraftian / bleak unknowable universe-ish and therefore is the cooler option

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
According to fanfiction there is a 3rd reproduction life-cycle, Xeno on meatbag romance. :suicide:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SirDrone posted:

According to fanfiction there is a 3rd reproduction life-cycle, Xeno on meatbag romance. :suicide:

man thats pretty much canon thanks to loving alien res

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Neo Rasa posted:

Ghosts of Mars might actually be tied with Mars Needs Moms as the worst movie about Mars.

It's actually pretty similar to Soldier in that on paper it sounds amazing. John Carpenter directs a futuristic remake of Assault on Precinct 13/Rio Bravo where space cops Pam Grier, Natasha Henstridge, Ice Cube and Jason Statham have to apprehend a dangerous criminal on Mars but it turns out almost everyone in the mining colony they go do is dead and the rest possessed and/or under the control of Marilyn Manson playing a gang leader/zombie ghost warlord. I was there opening day. Oh my God it's so bad.

It's crazy to think the biggest name attached to that at the time was ice cube or henstridge.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Snowman_McK posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is amazing too.

I'm sorry about the balls!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ghosts of Mars was just too ambitious for the budget Carpenter was working with. 28 million in 2001 wasn't chump change, but probably like half of that went to Ice Cube and Henstridge. Carpenter is used to being able to MacGyver a good looking movie together with a paperclip and a rubber band but this one got the better of him. There's like one single outdoor set and all of the props and costumes look cheap as hell.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghosts of Mars is also a worse remake of Attack on Precinct 13, just like Escape from LA is a bad remake of Escape from New York.

Carpenter was brilliant before he got divorced, and after, ehh....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Ghosts of Mars is also a worse remake of Attack on Precinct 13, just like Escape from LA is a bad remake of Escape from New York.

Carpenter was brilliant before he got divorced, and after, ehh....

He'd remade Rio Bravo twice already by that point, so I guess "Rio Bravo in space" seemed like a really good idea. Its easier to work within a budget when your Rio Bravo remake takes place in a police station or a church though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just in case anyone's not seen this before, Ralph Brown looks back on his time on Alien 3.

https://magicmenagerie.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/my-pop-life-171-praying-for-time-george-michael/

Highlights include:

Well, I say, can’t Aaron fight with the Alien?? If not at the end, then in the middle sequence with the fire? Astonishingly they agree with me and I gain a point. But I can’t fight at the end. And I have to be an 85 IQ – "like Muhammed Ali or Danny from Withnail" (they bizarrely console me with)

Sigourney walks past us : “Oh look – a little tete-a-tete between Mr Sublime and Mr Ridiculous. I’ll leave you guys to work out who’s who”…. Paul turns to me. “She’s going the right way for a smack in the mouth”.

I tell her that my death has now been re-written FIVE TIMES so far, including : Alien eats me, Golic cuts my throat, I fall into lead mould, Company machine-gun me. “I asked them to kill you off on page ten” she says. A couple of hours later she pokes her tongue out at me. Hey! It occurs to me, perhaps she wants to gently caress me !

She should be so lucky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ahahaha.

I remember the Alien 3 trading card for Aaron even very specifically mentions he has a below average IQ, the character is a bit incompetent in the movie but it's not like anyone on the planet was particularly brilliant or on point regularly besides Ripley herself so it didn't really stand out much.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's a scene where they mention it I think? It sort of works as a small detail because he's supposed to be part of the authority, but his IQ being leaked and less than glorious puts him firmly in the same camp as the prisoners. They mean to make fun of him as an outsider, but only end up reinforcing the "we're all stuck down here together" theme of the movie.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Their nickname for him is his IQ and yeah there's a scene where someone explains to Ripley that someone looked over his shoulder at his dossier or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Ghosts of Mars might actually be tied with Mars Needs Moms as the worst movie about Mars

it's bad but Mission to Mars is definitely worse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

You're wrong:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's by far the best death in the whole movie though. It's the only scene approaching an "oh poo poo" moment in the entire thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is no way in hell that Ghosts of Mars is as bad as Mission To Mars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

That's by far the best death in the whole movie though. It's the only scene approaching an "oh poo poo" moment in the entire thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mission to Mars is nowhere near as bad as people say and its goofy twist at the end actually kinda owns

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Touche

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This is a great scene. For those who haven't seen the movie, that character just got super high on space drugs.

If your gonna talk about Mission to Mars being bad can we talk about Red Planet too? It came out in the same year!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 13, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Mission to Mars and Red Planet are one of those bizarre pairs of movies that somehow came out really close together despite having the exact same premise. Like White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tenzarin posted:

This is a great scene. For those who haven't seen the movie, that character just got super high on space drugs.

If your gonna talk about Mission to Mars being bad can we talk about Red Planet too? It came out in the same year!

I'm 100% certain that I am remembering some scenes from Red Planet as being from Mission To Mars.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm 100% certain that I am remembering some scenes from Red Planet as being from Mission To Mars.

- me this whole conversation about the Mars movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know one has Gary Sinise and the other has Tom Sizemore. One has crying aliens, and the other has a DNA strand made of M&M's.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't recall them showing any aliens in red planet, red planet had the crazy dog robot that attacks them. I think your total recall of the movies is off.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Biomute posted:

I'm sorry about the balls!

a great great film. happy gilmore's grandma as Lovecraft Creature is perfect casting

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Mission to Mars is nowhere near as bad as people say and its goofy twist at the end actually kinda owns

Mission to Mars is dragged way down by the awful CGI for the aliens at the end. If the effects weren't so bad, it'd be way more palatable.

I like Red Planet - the soundtrack is cool (although the soundtrack CD has a ton of tracks that aren't in the movie at all, and the movie has a ton of music that isn't on the soundtrack CD, it's bizarre), the zero-G fire is great, the characters are distinct and memorable, and the robot was pretty neat.

Tenzarin posted:

I don't recall them showing any aliens in red planet, red planet had the crazy dog robot that attacks them. I think your total recall of the movies is off.

Red Planet had little oxygen-creating firefly-bugs that ate everything in sight and produced the breathable atmosphere - they're what kill Tom Sizemore.

If we're talking Mars movies, who else here saw 'The Last Days on Mars' from a year or two ago?

Dinosaurs! posted:

Their nickname for him is his IQ and yeah there's a scene where someone explains to Ripley that someone looked over his shoulder at his dossier or whatever.

Pete Posthlethwaite (RIP) explains it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One has crying aliens, and the other has a DNA strand made of M&M's.

Those are both Mission, lol.

Red Planet is secretly dope.