Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

Hot take: episode was pretty good and lots of you wouldn't be happy no matter what they did but continue to :airquote: hate watch :airquote: anyway.

I have two friends who are convinced this show is better than GOT. That's what I can't stand. This episode was fine... but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LionArcher posted:

I have two friends who are convinced this show is better than GOT. That's what I can't stand. This episode was fine... but come on.

Both are bad. Only thing good about either are the first 3 books of ASoIaF.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The only actual good episodes this season have been at the Kingdom and that's a fact.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shneak posted:

The only actual good episodes this season have been at the Kingdom and that's a fact.

Eugene has never been in the kingdom, though?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eugene has never been in the kingdom, though?

my god

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The guy who doesn't know where Daryl is

Totally fine as having this as my thread monicker

I'd be interested to see someone do the like "edit all of Breaking Bad into one movie" trick to TWD. Without all the loving stupid staring in this past episode it'd be what, 20 minutes?

Also, why the gently caress are the Kingdom people drawing guns on the Saviours literally every time they meetup? Like gently caress, have one person with a gun so when you inevitably get your guns taken you're losing a single 9mm out some poo poo, gently caress

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd like to see more shows have one side actually start shooting. I guess it kind of happened in that episode where Herschel got his head chopped, but generally both sides are just like "ok, now what?". Don't pull your guns if you're just going to hand them over after a bit of a standoff. I would think the side who started shooting first would have a pretty good advantage so if you're in a situation where some/all of you might die, why not roll the dice?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Morgan awkwardly and angrily standing there in complete silence while Richard lectures him with a huge speech is how I feel when I watch the walking dead.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'd like to see more shows have one side actually start shooting. I guess it kind of happened in that episode where Herschel got his head chopped, but generally both sides are just like "ok, now what?". Don't pull your guns if you're just going to hand them over after a bit of a standoff. I would think the side who started shooting first would have a pretty good advantage so if you're in a situation where some/all of you might die, why not roll the dice?
I agree. This was, what, the fourth supplies handoff scene for The Kingdom? It gets really repetitive. The Savior guy gets offended by something, picks a fight, the boss threatens our heroes, rinse, repeat. Both boring and infuriating. Frankly, that's pretty much every group's scenes with The Saviors. Do they just play mad-libs with the previous episodes' scripts?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Grimes had/has a Neegan radio, a slew of weapons and explosives. They also know the schedule of loot pickups (why do they not have it brought all the way to neegans camp?) They could easily clamp down on neegan with IEDs and sniping alone. Add in Morgan spikes and the all but silent bows of the kingdumb. Why are they afraid of Neegan again?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Hot take: episode was pretty good and lots of you wouldn't be happy no matter what they did but continue to :airquote: hate watch :airquote: anyway.

Real talk: This episode was a "last straw" for me. I'm not going to quit watching, but I'll tivo skim the rest up until the finale.

Watching "The Last of Us" immediately before TWD may be the best way to highlight TWD's shortcomings. That show got more emotion from a shot of vintage toys on a dashboard than TWD did from depicting the actual murder of a child.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

moths posted:

Real talk: This episode was a "last straw" for me. I'm not going to quit watching, but I'll tivo skim the rest up until the finale.

Watching "The Last of Us" immediately before TWD may be the best way to highlight TWD's shortcomings. That show got more emotion from a shot of vintage toys on a dashboard than TWD did from depicting the actual murder of a child.

Child murder?

edit: Look at the flowers? If that was what you were talking about, that was one of the only really emotionally disturbing things in TWD like ever.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 13, 2017

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Not that I would ever miss a chance to critique this show, but TWD actually did this already - season 2 when Herschel falls off the wagon and Rick suggests the Philly boys check out Nebraska. What a surprise, that scene was actually super tense and it was shocking when bullets started to fly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Ok so they got it right one or two times out of what, 50 standoffs?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fog Tripper posted:

Child murder?

I guess "teenager murder" is more appropriate? We saw Kid Rock execute Morgan's padawan over a cantaloupe - and they played it for a pocket-sized version of last year's "who got killed?" cliffhanger.

Like, of course it doesn't even stick out. The show has given us zero reason to stay invested in any of these characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

galenanorth posted:

Come to think of it, it doesn't make sense that he's going to walk all that way when it's probably a lot longer than the distance The Kingdom drove the truck in this episode. Also, I don't know why Hilltop and not Alexandria. The Saviors only show up occasionally and all else being equal, !"
The saviors use their "taxation" runs as a way to keep the troublemakers in check - the more passive communities rarely see them.

AgentJotun posted:

Lets all of us just stand here while this newcomer strangles one of the top Kingdom men to death. He must have good reasons.
Honestly Saviors do not give any fucks about what communities do to their own. If it doesn't directly threaten them they have been proven to just stand aside and laugh at the show.

Bates posted:

It's unnecessarily slow and lethargic. People can have serious conversations without constantly stopping to stare intently at each other. You don't NEED a long lingering close up every time someone feels something. There are other tools in the cinematic toolbox. And you know, if you have a scene with people talking in it you can do other things than just switching between close-ups. Like you have the scene with Ezekiel looking out over his kingdom from his balcony. From the set you understand what he's trying to protect - people living in peace, a father with his child etc. - and that he is the protector of it but isolated above it. It's not amazing or anything but ok, the set says something about the character and his situation. Most of the other scenes people are having conversations in bleak rooms or a parking lot. It's lazy. It's bad craftsmanship.

That said things happened. I guess the plot moved forward.
You missed all the symbolism behind "you need to burn it all down - we can grow another".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how they're all Morgan....stop....dont kill him...awwww

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

moist turtleneck posted:

I like how they're all Morgan....stop....dont kill him...awwww
It's like the scene from A Christmas Story. It's just so unexpected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvijyBIgazE

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Honestly Saviors do not give any fucks about what communities do to their own. If it doesn't directly threaten them they have been proven to just stand aside and laugh at the show.

Right, but I was thinking more from the Kingdom peoples perspective. Theres like 6 of them just standing there while a semi outsider kills one of their own.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ok so they got it right one or two times out of what, 50 standoffs?

For TWD a 2% hit rate is unqualified success.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

this was a halfway decent episode things are coming to a head

i hope morgan goes off the deep end again

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ezekiel's look when Morgan was going all Cain and Abel on the one dude was the look I would expect of someone who opened their car door and saw a steaming human turd. Just a mix of shock and disgust.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I forgot Carol didnt even know about Glenn and Abraham

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fog Tripper posted:

Definitely. I for one loved reading literally pages of what characters chose to wear.

"It was all he could do to..."
"Like so many..."

I just wish GRRM used these phrases more IMHO.

coyo7e posted:

It's like the scene from A Christmas Story. It's just so unexpected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvijyBIgazE
That scene could have been improved had Ralphie choked Scut out though. FFT

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 14, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dolphin posted:

That scene could have been improved had Ralphie choked Scut out though. FFT
I pulled up that scene on a whim but holy poo poo - I totally forgot just how long and how excessive that beating was. I mean yeah they're supposedly little kids in mittens and can't hurt each other - but he knocked that guy on his rear end and then punched him in the face like 40 or 50 times :psypop:

A good family movie

edit: I was curious and counted - he punches the other kid close to 100 times - even if you don't count the shots you can hear when he's not in the screen.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Popular hipster opinion. The later books not being as good in no way makes them BAD.

There's some dumb poo poo and terrible changes in the show like turning an awesome as hell dread pirate into a Trump like joke for one that wants to keep proclaiming the size of his dick, but it's still leaps and bounds over most shows.

Better Call Saul and a few Netflix shows are the only things in the ballpark.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zebulon posted:

Morgan sets the traps, Carol blows the back half of them to hell to drive the first half into them.

I think the two of them at noon gimped status are equal to all the garbage people combined.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElectricSheep posted:

I looked this up and holy poo poo he's the main character on the new 24, plus he was Young Dre from Straight Outta Compton and he's in the new Kong movie.

Maybe he'll be back for a token episode to kill his character off, doesn't look like he needs the money.

They will probably use him as a shock kill since he's turning into an actual movie star.. they left the door open for a return but it's really not looking like he needs it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Popular hipster opinion. The later books not being as good in no way makes them BAD

That is the first time someone has mistaken me for a hipster. Weird.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GrrM is a mediocre writer at best, so who really cares

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Popular hipster opinion. The later books not being as good in no way makes them BAD.

yeah it does

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2019

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I can't get past the absurdity of 12 angry armed men having a tense standoff over a single cantaloupe - in a crate which had been loaded onto a truck bed. No one thought to just have a guy drive it out there in a car.

BRING FORTH THE ROYAL LORRY. SECURE THE CANTALOUPE!
I'll just put it in a bag and carry...
IT'S CARGO! IT GOES IN THE TRUCK!

There must be 100+ Saviors why would they even bother with 12 loving cantaloupes. You couldn't just have less frequent drops with actual meaningful amounts of food? This loving show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So is morgan living in carol's old rehab killer house now? Do they have to decompress there before they can kill bad guys again?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
dont loving jinx us man

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bates posted:

I can't get past the absurdity of 12 angry armed men having a tense standoff over a single cantaloupe - in a crate which had been loaded onto a truck bed. No one thought to just have a guy drive it out there in a car.

BRING FORTH THE ROYAL LORRY. SECURE THE CANTALOUPE!
I'll just put it in a bag and carry...
IT'S CARGO! IT GOES IN THE TRUCK!

There must be 100+ Saviors why would they even bother with 12 loving cantaloupes. You couldn't just have less frequent drops with actual meaningful amounts of food? This loving show.

Part of it is probably The Saviors being dicks, ie "The terms of the deal are you will always come to each drop of fruit with a cargo truck, 2 other vehicles, and 6 men and if you ever change this in any way, not matter what the cargo, you are failing to live up to the agreement."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cantaloupe: 186 calories

Expended energy to obtain cantaloupe: 120,000 combined calories

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Human Crouton posted:

Cantaloupe: 186 calories

Expended energy to obtain cantaloupe: 120,000 combined calories
Ensuring the loyalty of a vassal: priceless.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Part of it is probably The Saviors being dicks, ie "The terms of the deal are you will always come to each drop of fruit with a cargo truck, 2 other vehicles, and 6 men and if you ever change this in any way, not matter what the cargo, you are failing to live up to the agreement."

Yeah when they were strapping down the little baby crate and putting a few cantaloupes in it even the kingdom people looked like they knew it was stupid.

It's just another method of control like Negan's whole hatchet trip with Rick.

The whole point is that they are doing what you tell them to do, which means the less sense it makes and the stupider it is the less they like it and the more you get across the point that you are the post apocalyptic boss that makes the rules. They should be glad Negan isn't demanding a finger each time or that everyone wear evening dresses or something.

Dolphin posted:

Ensuring the loyalty of a vassal: priceless.

Exactly. I love to make fun of how stupid TWD has become but this is one, rare, thing that actually makes sense.

quote:

"In case you haven't caught on, I just slipped my dick down your throat and you thanked me for it."

It's all psychological, like making everyone say "I am Negan."

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

So is morgan living in carol's old rehab killer house now? Do they have to decompress there before they can kill bad guys again?

yes