Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dyz posted:

The only fun healer classes I've seen in shooters usually require some sort of aim instead of being a TF medic ripoff. Like stealing life to charge healing or just straight up shooting your teammates.

Out of all the healer types I've tried in different shooters, the one I enjoyed the most was the grenadier in Evolve. She had Lucios speed boost, Pharahs jetpack and a grenade launcher that switched between napalm and healing grenades. Her reload speed was slow, encouraging people to alternate ammo types instead of focusing on only damage or healing. I liked that. Good mix of aim and traversal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macaluso posted:

It's almost worth getting that JUST for the mech, and throwing the lovely pop figure of D.Va away.

gently caress just give us a line of REAL FIGURES. I'm actually kind of amazed they haven't started trying to go down the Skylanders/Amiibos route yet because they have so many characters in their franchises now, if they make decent quality but affordable figures for their games, Blizzard would make exactly one trillion dollars

There's an unofficial fully transforming Bastion figure in the works from one of those 3rd Party Transformers companies

Donnerberg posted:

Out of all the healer types I've tried in different shooters, the one I enjoyed the most was the grenadier in Evolve. She had Lucios speed boost, Pharahs jetpack and a grenade launcher that switched between napalm and healing grenades. Her reload speed was slow, encouraging people to alternate ammo types instead of focusing on only damage or healing. I liked that. Good mix of aim and traversal.

I liked the robot healer who did healing through deployable "healing buoys"(like a longer lasting version of Soldier 76's healing ability, also he can deploy up to three at once), and for his weapon he shoots a tracer dart that acts as a lock on for his back mounted guided missile launcher(notably he can shoot the dart, and then shoot another dart once the missiles are launched to redirect them)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dyz posted:

The only fun healer classes I've seen in shooters usually require some sort of aim instead of being a TF medic ripoff. Like stealing life to charge healing or just straight up shooting your teammates.

I find healers to be more fun when they actually have to do (or at least can do) stuff so they can feel like they're actively contributing. Even though Lucio is just a mobile healing beacon and does very little damage, he feels fun because he can wall-jump around and pelt people with pellets and occasionally get a cool boop. Mercy, on the other hand, just jets around trying not to die as she watches her heal target have fun. The TF2 Medic style works for the TF2 Medic because of TF2's mechanics and the role he plays there make him much more important: he's the only character with an ult and he loses all ult charge if he dies.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bolow posted:

You talking about the no chasing/pot shotting thing? That more or less became a consensus among the vast majority of the competitive scene due to a certain clan CNBL (or it might have been CNBL-r, it's been like 16 loving years), being notoriously miserable to play against and the game basically devolving into a mid field team deathmatch the instant they capped the flag, which had the same effect as them turtling and go all defense.

If it's not that I honestly can't remember anything particularly weird other than the hard chat ban.

MassacrE did 9/11

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

^burtle posted:

MassacrE did 9/11

Shark-SUX-BAD never forget

Ruiner was the people's champion though

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bolow posted:

Shark-SUX-BAD never forget

Ruiner was the people's champion though

~*Cause we just beat CSI*~

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Even though the overall design of Evolve was terrible, it did have some really original character design, especially the medics. The undead guy that brought teammates back to life was my favorite.

I also think Ana would have been better off with something like a rocket launcher. Shooting teammates to heal them works better at all levels when you use explosive weapons instead of something like a sniper rifle.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dyz posted:

Even though the overall design of Evolve was terrible, it did have some really original character design, especially the medics. The undead guy that brought teammates back to life was my favorite.

I also think Ana would have been better off with something like a rocket launcher. Shooting teammates to heal them works better at all levels when you use explosive weapons instead of something like a sniper rifle.

Ana needs less biotic nades, not more!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not if biotic grenade didn't do antiheal+superheal

a splash damage healing main weapon would be fine. presumably lower healing per hit than her rifle, and biotic grenade could be replaced with something else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why can't we spectate comp matches our friends are doing? If it's some nonsense where you don't want people trolling by saying things in game chat, just disable chat while in spectate mode?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Macaluso posted:

Why can't we spectate comp matches our friends are doing? If it's some nonsense where you don't want people trolling by saying things in game chat, just disable chat while in spectate mode?

Could still be in an off-client voice chat giving info though

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Make soldiers biotic field hurt enemies that run into it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Poque posted:

Could still be in an off-client voice chat giving info though

Yeah, but you could be zero-delay streaming with an off-client video program, too. As long as it's not giving you a viewpoint unavailable to the team you're spectating I don't see the problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I think it's just down to the way ranked works in general since it's easier to just bar friends from joining period than it is to make sure that they don't backfill into an open spot if someone leaves

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i would think it a significant advantage to have an outside observer coaching you in comp games. like i know i miss stuff or overlook things or have bad ideas and someone who is knowledgeable about the game could contribute a good deal of info that i might not be able to parse personally

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If they are restricted to first person view of the friend they are spectating, which should be a given, there really shouldn't be an issue. It is no different than having someone sitting next to you, or as mentioned, streaming it to someone on a voice com. The only thing I can imagine stopping it is network issues, unless they are going to be limiting how many spectators 1 person can have to a fairly low number.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a lot of effort for something that they could instead just not allow you to do. boom, problem of outside help solved

they should allow you to invite people to groups when they're in ranked tho. also joining a group with someone spectating your game shouldn't make you reload the map and join the spectators because lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So this season I got 4 draws, 4 wins, and 2 loses in my placement matches and I ranked into 2300. People at this level are really awful. :(

edit: also the number of people unwilling to function as a team is through the roof.

edit 2: After the poo poo sandwich this game served me last season, dropping from high 2800s to 2200s because of a ~30 game streak of leavers, griefers, and blowouts, I've placed into this unfun tier of bullshit. I've played about 15 games since my placement matches and it's not a generalization when I say they've all been defined by no cooperation, teammates who can't shoot their way out of any situation, and people leaving moments into a game. I don't know what happened in season 1 and 2 but I had a lot of fun those seasons with hundreds of fun, even matches. Win or lose I didn't give a poo poo cause it was fun. This game's nothing but blowouts against one side or the other all through last season and now this season is more of the same. I don't know what happened but this went from my favorite game to play to bullshit, so I uninstalled the game and battle net. :(

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 13, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Meh, can't decide which Golden Gun to get.
Since I am a solid platinum at best, I only get one roughly every 2 seasons and now I'm torn.

So I made a poll. Please help me pick the right one.
I enjoy playing all three heroes, so no preference here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mcbexx posted:

Since I am a solid platinum at best, I only get one roughly every 2 seasons and now I'm torn.

No Junkrat? No Sombra? Man, you gotta bling out the trollpicks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

mcbexx posted:

The correct answer is always Symmetra, because the rage inspired by getting POTG when you just held down M1 while jumping like a madman only gets worse when the gun used is golden.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In TF2 there was a way to get the hit notification sounds to vary in pitch depending on how much damage you did. So like 5 damage was a chirpy ping while anything 150+ was a resonant dong. It was incredibly handy for feedback.

Can you change settings in overwatch to do this? Also, are custom huds possible?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

In TF2 there was a way to get the hit notification sounds to vary in pitch depending on how much damage you did. So like 5 damage was a chirpy ping while anything 150+ was a resonant dong. It was incredibly handy for feedback.

Can you change settings in overwatch to do this? Also, are custom huds possible?

Not only could you change the hit sound pitch, you could also change the noise alltogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4Hz5DIfEE

But the answer to both of your questions is no. You can't alter the hit sound in Overwatch at all and Overwatch is pretty anti-mods right now. There's absolutely no mod support.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

is that bluemillion?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Theta Zero posted:

Not only could you change the hit sound pitch, you could also change the noise alltogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4Hz5DIfEE

But the answer to both of your questions is no. You can't alter the hit sound in Overwatch at all and Overwatch is pretty anti-mods right now. There's absolutely no mod support.

Figured it's pretty anti-mod since they're pushing comp so hard.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Figured it's pretty anti-mod since they're pushing comp so hard.

Tf2 has comp as well, it's just that valve has been trying to monetize mods for a decade now (and sort of succeeding with hats)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tf2's comp scene has been ignored by valve from the beginning. on the other hand, blizzard doesn't even allow you to do tournaments over a certain amount of prize money without their involvement

as for ranked, again tf2 literally only added that like 9 years into its life while blizzard had it planned from before launch

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yes, or it could just be that valve was seeking to monetize tf2 modding

dota has been moddable to various degrees for the longest time and that game is nothing but esports

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no, they've literally said they don't like the way the tf2 comp scene plays. like robin walker finds it boring. it was never a focus for that game

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yes, and gaben, walker's boss, has said publicly time and time again that valve wants to monetize modding

the only thing blizzard has said about modding is that they would maybe like to include fan creations some day in overwatch

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Minrad posted:

yes, and gaben, walker's boss, has said publicly time and time again that valve wants to monetize modding

the only thing blizzard has said about modding is that they would maybe like to include fan creations some day in overwatch

I just want to change the hud color so that when I'm low on ammo it goes yellow then last shot is red.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Minrad posted:

it has nothing to do with competitive

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just want to change the hud color so that when I'm low on ammo it goes yellow then last shot is red.

Doesn't Sombra's gun make a different noise when it's almost out of ammo? I may be just confusing it with another game with an SMG. A lot of modern FPS signify you're on your last shot or you emptied your magazine with a different noise or subtly different animation. I'm surprised Blizzard didn't do that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it has nothing to do with competitive

thanks for agreeing with me, glad we can finally put this to rest

Theta Zero posted:

Doesn't Sombra's gun make a different noise when it's almost out of ammo? I may be just confusing it with another game with an SMG. A lot of modern FPS signify you're on your last shot or you emptied your magazine with a different noise or subtly different animation. I'm surprised Blizzard didn't do that.

yeah the gun's counter starts to make a loud tick noise and turns red when it's running down to its last 10 shots

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

no, they've literally said they don't like the way the tf2 comp scene plays. like robin walker finds it boring. it was never a focus for that game

Probably had a lot to do with Counter-Strike being the competitive game darling of the time and Team Fortress games being kind of poo poo to follow as a spectator.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Theta Zero posted:

IDK, it's just annoying to have to autistically count shots like I'm Archer or Deadpool while paying attention to the fight.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bolow posted:

Probably had a lot to do with Counter-Strike being the competitive game darling of the time and Team Fortress games being kind of poo poo to follow as a spectator.

I've never really understood this complaint. In TF2 it's all highly visible projectiles and people fighting right up close to each other. Seems way easier to frame compared to sniper fights.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

A number of the weapons actually have something like this though they don't always stick out when 12 peoples' worth of sound effects are happening at once. Sombra's machine pistol makes the aforementioned clicking sound, Zarya's M1 rises in pitch as it gets closer to empty, the glass sphere on Mei's gun visibly runs out of liquid as it uses more of it up, I believe Junkrat's grenade launcher starts sounding different as it approaches the last grenade...there are probably some others I'm not aware of.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

How did 'tilted' become synonymous for being upset in overwatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

resistentialism posted:

I've never really understood this complaint. In TF2 it's all highly visible projectiles and people fighting right up close to each other. Seems way easier to frame compared to sniper fights.

Fights tend to be spread out over a larger area. It's hard to appreciate it, especially if you're familiar with the game. Fights also tend to be protracted instead of just being brief and violent which makes it hard to keep track of the fight if you're tasked with being the camera guy.