Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf i thought the race would be on later and missed the whole thing, welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/ECRIndy/status/840973230915612672

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonklol:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Bentai posted:

I fell asleep during the race. Shameful.

Yeah same. Coverage sucked anyway, and yellow flag lottery continues to be dumb. Looks like this season shouldn't be a Penske curbstomping though, that's something.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well the ESPN stat tracker said there would be a 66% chance of a breakfast-induced sleep coma during the middle section of the race. They have very smart people there. :v:

That second yellow hosed over my team picks (Power, Hinch, Dixie, Aleshin), and Power getting DQ'd just poured salt in the wound. I'm still surprised the fantasy league people didn't reset the costs for 2017, I mean I guess it makes sense because the drivers that finished the season high in the standings are going to be good choices, but it's a new season and things can change. Like Penske crapping the bed. On the plus side, Sato actually had a very good race.

And now.. a nearly one month wait for the next race. I really wish it was like 2 weeks to Barber, then 2 weeks to Long Beach, feels like a better use of the calendar. :smith:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Yeah the month wait is a killer although F1 starts in two weeks for the open wheel fix. looking forward to the Indy car season it might be pretty open would love a tight championship battle.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lord Crapulus posted:

Yeah same. Coverage sucked anyway, and yellow flag lottery continues to be dumb. Looks like this season shouldn't be a Penske curbstomping though, that's something.

yellow flag lottery owns. really, those teams that didnt stop hosed up their own strategy and theyve got nobody to blame but themselves. "pit as soon as your window is open" has been the winning strategy at indycar races since the dawn of time.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

And now.. a nearly one month wait for the next race. I really wish it was like 2 weeks to Barber, then 2 weeks to Long Beach, feels like a better use of the calendar. :smith:

Can't wait to go back to Barber even if it's 6 weeks away :smith:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Bentai posted:

Sebring 12h is next week if you don't mind your wheels being covered by bodywork.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Sebring 12h is next week if you don't mind your wheels being covered by bodywork.

I'm game, I honestly think Sebring, Le Mans, and Daytona 24 Hours should always be de facto 'bye weeks" for VICS.

Along with F1..IMSA will likely help me get through the next couple of Indy-less weeks. I just wish there was less of those weeks....

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm totally watching Sebring 12h, it's just a bummer than Indycar has this massive gap between races.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

I'm totally watching Sebring 12h, it's just a bummer than Indycar has this massive gap between races.

It'd be nice if Phoenix was on March 26th or something. But I imagine Cup having a date next week prevents that.

Hindsight? They really should have moved the Houston GP to around that time, but I don't know if that course was exactly up to snuff in regards to Safety standards.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, I never got around to setting up a fantasy team.

Good race overall, even with Always Bad Coverage.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

A good schedule leading into May 2017 could have been this:

March 12th: St Pete
March 26th: Barber
April 9th: Long Beach
April 23rd: Phoenix

Four races every other week. Plenty of time to keep the hype train rolling, plus get the equipment trucked across the US and then to Indiana for ~The Month of May~. A racing goon can dream.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

A good schedule leading into May 2017 could have been this:

March 12th: St Pete
March 26th: Barber
April 9th: Long Beach
April 23rd: Phoenix

Four races every other week. Plenty of time to keep the hype train rolling, plus get the equipment trucked across the US and then to Indiana for ~The Month of May~. A racing goon can dream.

But it's never that simple. Phoenix has a Cup date on March 19. Every day you move closer to that date, you are cannibalizing a portion of your own attendance. Barber has had the same relative date for years. You dont want to mess with that. Same with St Pete and Long Beach.

I mean a great date to fill that gap would be someplace warm in March/April, with a limited autoracing presence. Like, say, New Orleans... ah poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah and because Long Beach has IMSA as well there's really not much you can do to change its date.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Yeah and because Long Beach has IMSA as well there's really not much you can do to change its date.

And the ePrix or whatever Formula E calls their races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

But it's never that simple. Phoenix has a Cup date on March 19. Every day you move closer to that date, you are cannibalizing a portion of your own attendance. Barber has had the same relative date for years. You dont want to mess with that. Same with St Pete and Long Beach.

I mean a great date to fill that gap would be someplace warm in March/April, with a limited autoracing presence. Like, say, New Orleans... ah poo poo.

Did NOLA ever fix the drainage issue?

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I doubt it. The whole place is under new leadership, and they're basically running it like a convention center now. Tourism, corporate meetings and such, but racing is pretty much dead there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah and I think they still owe IndyCar and/or Andretti a bunch of money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's a shame because I liked the track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Per the vice article the promotions and the handling of the event was so bad that they swore off IndyCar. So probably for the best to leave it be. Perhaps IMSA or someone can make it a decent venue.

Cygni posted:

Houston or the venue that shall remain nameless (in Austin) in this thread would be a good fit for the hypothetical March 26th date. Could also go international...hit up Brazil or Australia if some guy down there is willing to throw money at you. (doubtful. But Melbourne has issued the "gently caress F1, We'll bring in IndyCar" threat before for example).

Homestead? Only fear would be over saturating Florida that month/February. I mean Sebring, Daytona and St. Pete are all right next to each other in terms of dates.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah my whole idea was spitballing for this year, there had to be a track somewhere between Florida and California that could be a good fit for the 26th. :D

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/txmotorspeedway/status/841345725346775041

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Five wide all the way to the county morgue.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

reminder of last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8KNya9aeA

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Yeah my whole idea was spitballing for this year, there had to be a track somewhere between Florida and California that could be a good fit for the 26th. :D

Theoretical January through early May venues not already on the IndyCar calender
-Homestead
-Miami Street Circuit (Biscayne Bay, etc)
-Puerto Rico (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aT-7Tiz_Oo )
-Ft. Lauderdale (http://www.autoracing1.com/rumors.asp?tid=10249 )
-Brazil
-Argentina (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php/206179-IndyCar-to-Argentina Juncos has mentioned interest in doing this)
-Australia (http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/03/29/melbourne-considers-indycar-option-government/ )
-Savannah, GA -Hutchinson Island Circuit (http://www.autoracing1.com/CassioC/2004/0902Savannah.asp )
-Houston Reliant Park
-OKKKKKLAHOMA! (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2016/04/17/indycar-eyes-oklahoma-city-new-race/83160172/)
-(A venue that will only end in people going full stupid)
-Las Vegas Fremont Street Circuit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Vegas_Grand_Prix). (LVMS is out of the question)
-Mexico City
-Circuito de Jerez in Spain
-Mugello in Italy
-Kylami

All a question of sponsors being interested and local governments interested in subsidizing such things. Such is (sadly) the life in post Tobacco Sponsorship auto racing.

George Zimmer posted:

Five wide all the way to the county morgue.

I think Pocono or Cleveland are the only venues that can come to mind that can get away with what he's describing.

Texas really did convince me this sport needs canopies or at the bare minninum? Windscreens.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 13, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
- Helter Skelter
- Wonderhill
- Edge of The Earth
- Out of Blue
- Phantomile
- Brightest Night
- Heaven and Hell
- Shooting Hoops

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Well worth the trip to Texas for 72% of a race, that finish was insane in person

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Helter Skelter
- Wonderhill
- Edge of The Earth
- Out of Blue
- Phantomile
- Brightest Night
- Heaven and Hell
- Shooting Hoops

1 oval isn't gonna cut it if you listen to some fans.

(actually don't think shooting hoops is an oval, been a while)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cant believe they tore down the Phantomile and put in a parking lot

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

Close. It's bizarrely called an "Oval Course" in the manual but in reality it's a cross between 1955-1973 Monza with old Fuji's banked turn .

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think Pocono or Cleveland are the only venues that can come to mind that can get away with what he's describing.

They were like 7 wide at one point at Pocono in 2015.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cleveland's starts were always fun.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

njsykora posted:

You could throw in the PantsRing, but being perfectly round I'm not sure if that counts as an oval.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Real talk: if they're going to add another road course, let it be an actual road course and not another street circuit.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Run a race in the mall parking lot where riverside used to be

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Run a race through a mall.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Charlotte roval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Real talk: if they're going to add another road course, let it be an actual road course and not another street circuit.

I mean you kinda have the "big ones" nailed down save for Laguna Seca, -venue that makes this thread go insane-, Portland and Road Atlanta. (I question that one's ability to host formula racing). Laguna Seca would be tricky considering the Nimby's, but maybe you work out a deal with IMSA to share a weekend? I don't know. Portland keeps popping up as well, so I think they'll be back sooner rather than later.

Could go to CGV or Mont Tremblant in Canada. But yeah.

• Locked thread