Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kenji invented sous vide cooking as well as what we now call Maillard reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

When you sear a piece of meat on a cast iron pan Kenji freezes time and appears to lace the surface with delicious microscopic mallards. Much like a santa claus of flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey I'm not going to put much effort into defending Kenji, he made fun of my home-made baking steel presumably because he wanted people to buy his endorsed Baking Steels. But I think it's safe to say other than his deer-like love of salt he's a pretty good source for recipes in general

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So the sous vide pork came out good. This was my first time smoking and it was on a gas grill. Could of had more smoke flavor but the pork was fine. It was super juicy too. As for salt I cut it from 3 Tbs to 2. Sorry for the images being out of order.
gallery http://imgur.com/a/W6u9T

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chuck came out reasonably well. Ends were a little dry, but overall everyone enjoyed it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

Chuck came out reasonably well. Ends were a little dry, but overall everyone enjoyed it.

no pics?!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

toplitzin posted:

Temp and time? I've been happy with mine I've done, but different textures are always fun.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sextro posted:

When you sear a piece of meat on a cast iron pan Kenji freezes time and appears to lace the surface with delicious microscopic mallards. Much like a santa claus of flavor.

Just tried this and I can confirm, my kitchen is filled with microscopic ducks now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Just tried this and I can confirm, my kitchen is filled with microscopic ducks now.

Collect them and fry some potatoes.

gently caress now I want duck fries

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Norns posted:

Temp and time? I've been happy with mine I've done, but different textures are always fun.

36@155 + 3@275 Smoked

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Had a bag breech for the first time making pork belly.

I had mirin, soy, sugar, and other random blended up stuff in the bag. Rebagged the belly seems fine.

Is the water okay for the anova with a bit of my marinade floating around in it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to just change out the water?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to just change out the water?

It takes almost 40 min for my cambro to get up to 170.

Only doing a 10 hour cook.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Norns posted:

It takes almost 40 min for my cambro to get up to 170.

Only doing a 10 hour cook.

An electric kettle would help there tremendously.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ultimate Mango posted:

An electric kettle would help there tremendously.
I got a Zojirushi for tea but it turns out there are like a million times when it's handy to have something that dispenses water hotter than around 120 F/50 C.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Hell, my hot water heater dispenses at 130-135 F. It's probably up too high, but whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

Hell, my hot water heater dispenses at 130-135 F. It's probably up too high, but whatever.
Mmmmm, legionella.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You should really run your water heater at 140.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SubG posted:

Mmmmm, legionella.

Dies above 122?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use the stove to heat up a pot of water to temp if I need to rush things

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My electric water kettle takes 1.5l to boiling in like 3 minutes,
Combining 2 or 3 loads of that with half a tub of hot water from the tap gets my water to 85 Celsius in less than 10 minutes.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Dies above 122?
122 is above the upper point where it'll grow, but not above the point where it can't survive(140f)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The WHO data I'm finding says that 90% of it dies in like 2 minutes at 140 F, and 90% die in 80-124 minutes at 122 F (depending on the strain). Probably not a linear relationship, it's most likely logarithmic, but 90% likely dies within an hour.

Also my local water supply is chlorinated, so that kills it much better than heat. Effective killing level is 0.5 ppm and my local water authority pipes at ~1.3 ppm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Many recipes are below 140°F and fine as long as they're in a range where bacteria aren't multiplying.

Also Norns is just changing out the circulation water, it should be fine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

The WHO data I'm finding says that 90% of it dies in like 2 minutes at 140 F, and 90% die in 80-124 minutes at 122 F (depending on the strain). Probably not a linear relationship, it's most likely logarithmic, but 90% likely dies within an hour.

Also my local water supply is chlorinated, so that kills it much better than heat. Effective killing level is 0.5 ppm and my local water authority pipes at ~1.3 ppm.
Regulations vary by region, but pretty much nobody anywhere will tell you that keeping your hot water heater at 130-135 is a good idea. Most guidelines suggest a domestic hot water heater keep water at 140 F/60 C, with a delivery temperature at the faucet or whatever of 122 F/50 C. Because you want a margin of error, because the thermostat in your hot water heater isn't a laboratory-grade instrument, your entire water system isn't at exactly the same temperature, conditions throughout the system will vary depending on changes in the environment, survival of microorganisms (like Legionnaires') can be affected by buildup of mineral calculus, biofilms, and so on in water systems, and so on.

I mean it's your health so whatever.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SubG posted:

Regulations vary by region, but pretty much nobody anywhere will tell you that keeping your hot water heater at 130-135 is a good idea. Most guidelines suggest a domestic hot water heater keep water at 140 F/60 C, with a delivery temperature at the faucet or whatever of 122 F/50 C. Because you want a margin of error, because the thermostat in your hot water heater isn't a laboratory-grade instrument, your entire water system isn't at exactly the same temperature, conditions throughout the system will vary depending on changes in the environment, survival of microorganisms (like Legionnaires') can be affected by buildup of mineral calculus, biofilms, and so on in water systems, and so on.

I mean it's your health so whatever.

Ok, to be fair, 130 is the temperature at the faucet for me. My hot water heater (I rent) doesn't have a thermostat. It has "settings" of A, B, C, D. Right now it is on 'B.' Water at my kitchen faucet is 130.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
PHEW my faucet water temp is 125-126.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I sometimes take cold showers and drink cold water am I going to die?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Always sous vide your water first at 141 for 2 hours, then put it in an ice bath.

edit: but you still gonna die

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Trastion posted:

Yes.

Eventually.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://instagram.com/p/BRn6imljt7Z/

Holy shittttttttt

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Anything involving bacteria/yeast could probably just be lumped together, since you can also use it to make butter and proof dosa batter, feed a sourdough, etc

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 15, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The wine-warming thing is great. I was hoping the Mellow would let me go the other way, but welp.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Mellow seems to have deleted all of the comments on their facebook feed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Mellow seems to have deleted all of the comments on their facebook feed.

That's not a good sign :ohdear:

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Seeing this discussion of people making GBS threads on Kenji's recipes has me worried about my plan to make brisket this weekend. Specially since my wife doesn't like salty food. I've never really smoked anything, and I'd be using a Weber charcoal grill for the final smoke based on Kenji's recipe. Should I avoid this? Is there an alternative recipe I can try going with?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Use less salt?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have used my anova to warm up gluhwein and sake and it works like a dream. Way better than guessing with the microwave or boiling a pot. Never considered chilling wine with it though!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

walruscat posted:

Seeing this discussion of people making GBS threads on Kenji's recipes has me worried about my plan to make brisket this weekend. Specially since my wife doesn't like salty food. I've never really smoked anything, and I'd be using a Weber charcoal grill for the final smoke based on Kenji's recipe. Should I avoid this? Is there an alternative recipe I can try going with?

If you have a weber I would just not use the anova and do this https://youtu.be/k0PYZL8lMrA Brisket is a motherfucker to cook but using that method has worked for me. I just did a final resting of about 1.5 hours wrapped in towels in an ice chest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Kenji made fun of my home-made baking steel
Lol It's a steel plate that gets hot and transmits heat to food, what could he have possibly had to say bad about it?