Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

winterwerefox posted:

Sorry about that, fixed it.

Oh, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

xthetenth posted:

Capitalism doesn't kill its winners, it kills its losers.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

I was just trying to give you a counterexample to bring your rampage of smug self-satisfaction to a dignified early close, but clearly this was a fool's errand

Whatever you say.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Th... the bathroom goes inside the transvestite? :ohdear:

Jesus, read a loving dictionary, or go watch Ed Wood or something.

(Transvestite isn't the word you're looking for)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MikeyTsi posted:

Jesus, read a loving dictionary, or go watch Ed Wood or something.

(Transvestite isn't the word you're looking for)

A month or two ago I had to explain the difference to my mom. She had a hard time with the concepts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bors just had a baby and as such isn't posting much, but this long-form piece about the politics of science was just posted on the Nib in his absence. It's quite wordy, but I like it. As per usual it is simply Too Huge to post here, so here's one of the best panels of it.

Shangri-Law School posted:

Whatever you say.

oh god it's still happening why won't it stop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Because as we all know, it is impossible for a poor white person to ever vote against their own personal interests.

Yeah, because Bubba voting republican in a red state is soooo much more damaging than Generic White Oil CEO paying millions to lobbyists to strike down bills like the ones that stopped them from dumping waste into waterways

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

oh god it's still happening why won't it stop

OK.

In case people have been wondering what Eric Allie has been up to for the last few months...

Omitted the non-Madigans, but still...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait are those multiple Austin Powers references in 2017

Christ

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Does that mean that the obsessive compulsive and the superstitious are sane?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, because Bubba voting republican in a red state is soooo much more damaging than Generic White Oil CEO paying millions to lobbyists to strike down bills like the ones that stopped them from dumping waste into waterways

Because those lobbyists have inherent phenomenal political power, and don't just convince the people that BUBBA loving VOTED IN!

No brain dead poor white base means no-one voting for the scummy slimy GOP means no-one voting to relax the regulations on dumping waste! How is this not getting through to you?

But I forgot about all those billionaire oil tycoon Democrats. Good thing those people aren't exclusively Republicans or it would make your point idiotic.

Look, you kill every billionaire, millionaire or whateveraire out there, and Bubba is still gonna be here, screaming that someone has to make anyone or thing darker than him suffer. You get rid of every Bubba, the billionaires can't do poo poo except shut up, pay their taxes and follow the loving rules set.

One is the biggest problem here, and you are looking at the wrong one.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 14, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A month or two ago I had to explain the difference to my mom. She had a hard time with the concepts.

Should've just sat her down and had her listen to Eddie Izzard explain it.

I mean, it's not really that difficult.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Eddie Izard didn't talk about transsexuals, it was the different type of transvestites.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Eddie Izard didn't talk about transsexuals, it was the different type of transvestites.

And the person I was originally replying to was mixing them up.

Transvestites and Transsexuals are two completely different things, with two completely different definitions.

Wait, never mind. Just realized I'm trying to explain something to Fulchrum.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Because those lobbyists have inherent phenomenal political power, and don't just convince the people that BUBBA loving VOTED IN!

No brain dead poor white base means no-one voting for the scummy slimy GOP means no-one voting to relax the regulations on dumping waste! How is this not getting through to you?

But I forgot about all those billionaire oil tycoon Democrats. Good thing those people aren't exclusively Republicans or it would make your point idiotic.

Look, you kill every billionaire, millionaire or whateveraire out there, and Bubba is still gonna be here, screaming that someone has to make anyone or thing darker than him suffer. You get rid of every Bubba, the billionaires can't do poo poo except shut up, pay their taxes and follow the loving rules set.

One is the biggest problem here, and you are looking at the wrong one.

Actually, without rich capitalists like Rupert Murdoch promoting racist policies and thought racism becomes significantly less of a problem. Racism exclusively benefits the rich as it provides the poor a scapegoat and divides them.

Plus the most poor voted democrat in the last election while the rich leaned republican, because the rich are garbage and society would be better off without them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MikeyTsi posted:

And the person I was originally replying to was mixing them up.

Transvestites and Transsexuals are two completely different things, with two completely different definitions.

Wait, never mind. Just realized I'm trying to explain something to Fulchrum.

Hey, I'm not the one who suggested Ed Wood despite Glen or Glenda actually conflating transvestitism and transsexualism, claiming one is just a less advanced form of the other.

And it having Bela Lugosi yelling to an empty room about big green dragons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Does anyone even use the term transvestite anymore? Outside of the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xander77 posted:

It's like people like Fish or Rall are utterly unable to comprehend what Trump is and what he means. Obama is just a "ruthlessly self-serving" as Trump. As much of a Hitler.

I don't know how old Fish is, but Rall is old enough to remember when "The Parties Are The Same!" was mostly true and neither of them can be bothered to notice that poo poo ain't true no more.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Actually, without rich capitalists like Rupert Murdoch promoting racist policies and thought racism becomes significantly less of a problem.
Rupert Murdoch first set foot in the US in 1974. Yeah, there was no racism in America ever before that.

Seriously, who was the rich man in Neshoba County, Mississippi in 1964 telling all those totally innocent poor white men to burn that church and kill those people getting folks enrolled to vote? I'm dying to hear who this nefarious corporate Overlord was firing his racism beams that stopped those rednecks developing total class consciousness.

quote:

Racism exclusively benefits the rich as it provides the poor a scapegoat and divides them.
And plagues benefit the poor as it increases the ability of the lowerclasses to more effectively band together without a glut of capable workers driving down wages and weakening bargaining positions. I assume the serfs created the bubonic plague?

Rich people didn't invent racism, it's been a disease on mankind since centuries before we even had capitalism.

quote:

Plus the most poor voted democrat in the last election while the rich leaned republican, because the rich are garbage and society would be better off without them.

I don't know how to break it to you, but 41%, 42% and 46% do not equal zero. However, 100% of people who voted for Republicans, voted for Republicans. So how about we treat that block as the bad guys and not despise people who did vote with us but share an income bracket wherein people voted 2% more to elect a sentient bag of poo poo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hell even historical rich guys like Carnegie were pretty poo poo despite trying to do some good in the end when they started to fear the afterlife.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

Rupert Murdoch first set foot in the US in 1974. Yeah, there was no racism in America ever before that.

Seriously, who was the rich man in Neshoba County, Mississippi in 1964 telling all those totally innocent poor white men to burn that church and kill those people getting folks enrolled to vote? I'm dying to hear who this nefarious corporate Overlord was firing his racism beams that stopped those rednecks developing total class consciousness.
And plagues benefit the poor as it increases the ability of the lowerclasses to more effectively band together without a glut of capable workers driving down wages and weakening bargaining positions. I assume the serfs created the bubonic plague?

Rich people didn't invent racism, it's been a disease on mankind since centuries before we even had capitalism.

I don't know how to break it to you, but 41%, 42% and 46% do not equal zero. However, 100% of people who voted for Republicans, voted for Republicans. So how about we treat that block as the bad guys and not despise people who did vote with us but share an income bracket wherein people voted 2% more to elect a sentient bag of poo poo.

Yeah, I'm sure that those wealthy slaveowners had nothing to gain from racism and certainly didn't use Jim Crow laws to their own benefit. Nope, the rich definitely aren't entrenched in right wing politics.

I don't know if this is some sort of gimmick but you're not doing anything other than wasting your own time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know if this is some sort of gimmick but you're not doing anything other than wasting your own time.

Fulchrum got run out of CSPAM for being too stupid

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, I'm sure that those wealthy slaveowners had nothing to gain from racism and certainly didn't use Jim Crow laws to their own benefit. Nope, the rich definitely aren't entrenched in right wing politics.

I don't know if you noticed, but slaveowners stopped being a thing in 1865. Which is nearly a hundred years before the time I specified. So I will ask you once again, in 1964 in Mississippi, who was the rich white Overlord bombarding these innocent southerners with racism beams?

Even if we agree with your delusion that racism was cooked up in a lab by evil capitalists to undermine poor innocent white people, who didn't want to but we're forced to feel pure unbridled rage to anyone darker than them, so the gently caress what. Racism is not a loving magic spell. You can't just kill the rich and suddenly, all those poor noble whites will break free from their hatred and accept class consciousness overnight. It does not go away! They will treasure it above all else. Hell, poor southerners are still flying that goddamn traitor flag, and no rich person is telling them to do that!

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

(it's a pee-pee joke)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fulchrum posted:

You ever noticed how the confederate army wasn't exclusively made up of rich white southern gentlemen slave owners, and instead had a lot of people who weren't personally slave owners, but still fought to help slave owners keep their slaves because they were sociopaths?

But no, I guess that instead of letting him kill southern racists, the union army should have just kicked Grant out and made him join the Confederates because he once owned a slave.

This is flat out loving bullshit in case you were wondering. Slave owners were wildly overrepresented in the Confederate army. 36 percent of 1861 volunteers were part of a slaveowning household compared to 25% of the population. Almost 50% of 1861 volunteers lived in such a household. There's a reason why East Tennessee had to be brutally suppressed.

Slavery was a pervasive institution that was entrenched in the culture surrounding it outside the people who owned slaves, but those people provided a lot of the strongest support.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/08/small-truth-papering-over-a-big-lie/61136/

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

This is flat out loving bullshit in case you were wondering. Slave owners were wildly overrepresented in the Confederate army. 36 percent of 1861 volunteers were part of a slaveowning household compared to 25% of the population. Almost 50% of 1861 volunteers lived in such a household. There's a reason why East Tennessee had to be brutally suppressed.

Slavery was a pervasive institution that was entrenched in the culture surrounding it outside the people who owned slaves, but those people provided a lot of the strongest support.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/08/small-truth-papering-over-a-big-lie/61136/

You don't know what the word exclusively means, do you?

Seriously, this is as bad as Republicans saying "Actually, I think you'll find black people fought for the confederacy, therefore not racist!"

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but slaveowners stopped being a thing in 1865. Which is nearly a hundred years before the time I specified. So I will ask you once again, in 1964 in Mississippi, who was the rich white Overlord bombarding these innocent southerners with racism beams?

Even if we agree with your delusion that racism was cooked up in a lab by evil capitalists to undermine poor innocent white people, who didn't want to but we're forced to feel pure unbridled rage to anyone darker than them, so the gently caress what. Racism is not a loving magic spell. You can't just kill the rich and suddenly, all those poor noble whites will break free from their hatred and accept class consciousness overnight. It does not go away! They will treasure it above all else. Hell, poor southerners are still flying that goddamn traitor flag, and no rich person is telling them to do that!

I gotta wonder how stupid you've gotta be to see "the rich use racism to their advantage" and get "the rich invented racism in 1965" out of it but I guess I'm just not thinking like an insane retard.

And again, Jim Crow law benefited rich whites, who were almost exclusively former slave owners, and lasted from 1865 to around 1965, depending on the specific law.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I gotta wonder how stupid you've gotta be to see "the rich use racism to their advantage" and get "the rich invented racism in 1965" out of it but I guess I'm just not thinking like an insane retard.

And again, Jim Crow law benefited rich whites, who were almost exclusively former slave owners, and lasted from 1865 to around 1965, depending on the specific law.

The rich also use oil to their advantage. But, oh dear God, if you got rid of the rich there would still be oil! Shocking, I loving know.

That they use it to their advantage doesn't mean a loving thing because it still exists independently of them and won't go away by magic.

And you are telling me every part of the Jim Crow laws helped rich southerners. Alright, fine, I'll humor your delusions. How did making black people sit at the back of the bus directly give money to the rich? Come on, the Jim Crow laws all benefited rich whites, so how did arguably the most famous one enrich them?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

The rich also use oil to their advantage. But, oh dear God, if you got rid of the rich there would still be oil! Shocking, I loving know.

That they use it to their advantage doesn't mean a loving thing because it still exists independently of them and won't go away by magic.

And you are telling me every part of the Jim Crow laws helped rich southerners. Alright, fine, I'll humor your delusions. How did making black people sit at the back of the bus directly give money to the rich? Come on, the Jim Crow laws all benefited rich whites, so how did arguably the most famous one enrich them?

The rich get to sit at the better seats in the front of the bus you loving moron. How goddamn stupid are you?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Durr, why would anyone want to sit at the front of the bus in the nice seats close to the doors? I spilled my soup directly onto my dick while I was asking that question

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The rich get to sit at the better seats in the front of the bus you loving moron. How goddamn stupid are you?

You know who else gets to do that? Every other white person including the loving poor!

And how many rich people take the loving bus??!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
"I'm Fulchrum and I'm too goddamn stupid to understand where the comfy seats of the bus are. Watch me poop my pants and get run out of C-SPAM!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Truly that was their ultimate coup, being able to sit in the exact same place literally any white person could sit. Utterly devious!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You know where the seats are comfier than the front of the bus? In your own loving car! Which the rich people all already had! You dense piece of poo poo!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
The layman: I'm gonna sit by the bus door so that I can get out at my stop faster!

Fulchrum, an intellectual: Actually, if you don't leave your house you never have to worry about where you sit on the bus

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You're really gonna keep pretending cars don't exist aren't you? Like, that's the hill you want to die on - humans never mastered the concept of the personal automobile, so the ultra rich all ride public transport, and actively want to sit next to poor people so long as they are white.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fulchrum posted:

You know where the seats are comfier than the front of the bus? In your own loving car! Which the rich people all already had! You dense piece of poo poo!

Personal car ownership wasn't really going to be a big thing until the motor companies bought out and liquidated all the mass transit companies, so except for the mega-rich in cars there were plenty of comfortably-wealthy on the bus :eng101:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fulchrum posted:

You know who else gets to do that? Every other white person including the loving poor!

And how many rich people take the loving bus??!!

A greater diversity of classes took the bus before knowing how to drive was so prevalent.

You need to brush up on your history a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evilreaver posted:

Personal car ownership wasn't really going to be a big thing until the motor companies bought out and liquidated all the mass transit companies, so except for the mega-rich in cars there were plenty of comfortably-wealthy on the bus :eng101:

We're nit talking about the comfortably wealthy, we're exclusively talking about a nebulous top tenth of 1% who bred racism in a lab or some poo poo. The argument he's making is that said mega-rich were writing these laws so that they could get those primo seats on the bus.

And that's ignoring that the laws didn't once mention poor whites taking the seats so the entire argument is bullshit even if we forget that cars are a thing.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread