Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think you guys who are looking for valhalla fight club are overlooking the really obvious norse secret society: rune mages! Also can join if Anglo-Saxon. Odin delivered to man the runes of power and by their power the Sedir shall claim victory! Plus, they're semi-historical, like Hermetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ahh, hit my favourite part of playing through, the winning of the Jerusalem Crusade...and giving the kingdom to the most annoying vassal in time for the inevitable jihad :v: It's taken me about a century to finally take Hibernia and I'm on track to get me a Holy Roman Empire.

Liking Monks and Mystics a lot, but the increased risk of sudden death from the Reapers Due has led to more unexpected regencies than I'm used to. And boy are the council a pain in the butt on top of everyone else trying to carve up your kingdom from under you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carcer posted:

2) Extended smash and grab in the Mediterranean. Don't actually siege anything, just grab the gold you can get for free and go fond another target (good targets are Constantinople, Alexandria, Venice, sometimes Tunis and in general any province with 80+ total lootable income.). Just don't get caught by defenders.

Super early game I prefer 2, since how much you loot is independant of how many troops you have in the province so you can raid with the fewest troops you can get away with and rake in the cash quickly, a round trip of the med can get you 200 gold with relative ease.

If you can get ~1200 dudes together ASAP on the Old Gods start (shouldn't be prohibitively difficult) and beeline for Venice, you can usually smash the like 200 retinue dudes they have sitting there easy as hell and then siege down all 7 holdings in the province for mad loot.

You just have to like literally make it the very first thing you do, if you give them even a few months they'll have too many men already.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Seems legit

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

That last one is gonna cause some meltdowns on reddit lol.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The problem I have with that is you risk sjaelland or ostlandet hulking out and taking critical territory you'll need later.

I always subjugate sjaelland first since you need their holy site to reform norse and waiting any amount of time means they're going to become bigger and much more difficult to fight. By this point venice has too many troops so I just find it easier to go for the unprotected loot.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Random question, is there any way (mod or otherwise) to allowing looting of artifacts? Or killing/stealing them? One of my vassals has Mjolnir and I want it damnit.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Karl Sharks posted:

Random question, is there any way (mod or otherwise) to allowing looting of artifacts? Or killing/stealing them? One of my vassals has Mjolnir and I want it damnit.

I've stolen the Finger of St John from an enemy holding before after sieging it, so if you can get your vassal to revolt and then siege their main holding you might be able to nab it that way? Not sure what the event coding says.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Carcer posted:

2) Extended smash and grab in the Mediterranean. Don't actually siege anything, just grab the gold you can get for free and go fond another target (good targets are Constantinople, Alexandria, Venice, sometimes Tunis and in general any province with 80+ total lootable income.). Just don't get caught by defenders.

I'd have to disagree with part of this. Venice is a city, and Rome is a church. Should be able to quickly siege both of them quickly from an early start, and they're going to be more or less undefended. They're not going to raise leves when you're standing on them, and they don't have enough neighboring territory to do anything. I find even their castles are very weak for 100s of years (especially if you keep burning them). Both states should be your own personal bank.

It takes a little longer than a smash and grab, but the hostages themselves will quickly pay back that time in blots and ransoms.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Pope decided to lead the attack against my looting vikings so I got a freebie achievement. Yay!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd have to disagree with part of this. Venice is a city, and Rome is a church. Should be able to quickly siege both of them quickly from an early start, and they're going to be more or less undefended. They're not going to raise leves when you're standing on them, and they don't have enough neighboring territory to do anything. I find even their castles are very weak for 100s of years (especially if you keep burning them). Both states should be your own personal bank.

It takes a little longer than a smash and grab, but the hostages themselves will quickly pay back that time in blots and ransoms.

I just tested this.

Test 1: 1700 guys on 21 boats, sailed to venice and sacked it, sailed to rome. Pope raised 1500 mercs and fought me twice, the first time resetting the siege timer and the second time having enough troops to push me off entirely. I would have made about 120 gold from this failure.

Test 2: 1700 guys in 38 boats (I didn't want to overflow loot). Sacked venice, sacked rome (pope raised 1500 mercs again but it didn't reset the siege timer and he didn't come back this time) and sailed home. Arrived on 5 December 868 with 196.04 gold.

Test 3:1700 guys on 38 boats. I hit Constantinople, Famagusta, Limisol, Tripoli, Beirut, Alexandria. Arrived back on 29 October 868 with 293.49 gold. I would have also hit Tunis and genoa as part of my usual circuit but both were already depleted by sieges.

I admit this testing is limited, and hostages could well swing it back towards your guys method but that's a crap shoot. Another unstated advantage my method has is that You don't have to use the full 1700 guys, 200 will loot the exact same amount and will cost you far less in upkeep and leaving your actual total money higher.

e: You can also raid on my method more frequently since the loot gauge fills up quicker than holdings lose the "looted" tag.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd just leave Rome alone yeah, Italy can raise a ton of levies and stomp you if the pope can't get mercs... but Venice alone should be able to fill up your boats no?

Just did a trial run, started as Sjaelland in the Old Gods start - went raiding immediately off the bat (just under 1200 men and 21 boats) and hit Venice. If you get a lovely siege roll you might not make it past the 3rd holding (a church with a levy of just over 1000) but barring that you can get all 5 holdings (last 2 haven't been built yet)...

My boats maxed out at 210 gold and 210 prestige so I didn't get poo poo from the last 2 town holdings but if I dropped off the gold and came back I coulda probably got another 150 at least out of those.

Either way you want to raid is fine, all I'm saying is Venice is super easy to hit in general. It's def my piggy bank later. Also if you're not sieging holdings down you won't get the Viking/Ravager/Sea-King traits.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, not getting viking/ravager/etc is an issue but since one of the easiest ways to raise MA is to burn down a bunch of churches in Ireland that generally solves itself.

To be clear, I'm not trying to say anyone's doing it wrong or something stupid like that, there's pros and cons with all methods. Its just that if you want to maximize the amount of gold you can get in the shortest time possible with the least risk possible I think my method is better.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Karl Sharks posted:

You'll rarely loot a random artifact a guy owns when you siege a holding down. I'm not sure if they even have to have the holding as part of their demesne. Anyway, getting a specific artifact that way is probably not going to happen even if you save/reload a lot. The most reliable way to get it into your treasury is to inherit it, and even then, it's not a 100% sure thing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Carcer posted:

I just tested this.

Test 1: 1700 guys on 21 boats, sailed to venice and sacked it, sailed to rome. Pope raised 1500 mercs and fought me twice, the first time resetting the siege timer and the second time having enough troops to push me off entirely. I would have made about 120 gold from this failure.

Test 2: 1700 guys in 38 boats (I didn't want to overflow loot). Sacked venice, sacked rome (pope raised 1500 mercs again but it didn't reset the siege timer and he didn't come back this time) and sailed home. Arrived on 5 December 868 with 196.04 gold.

Test 3:1700 guys on 38 boats. I hit Constantinople, Famagusta, Limisol, Tripoli, Beirut, Alexandria. Arrived back on 29 October 868 with 293.49 gold. I would have also hit Tunis and genoa as part of my usual circuit but both were already depleted by sieges.

I admit this testing is limited, and hostages could well swing it back towards your guys method but that's a crap shoot. Another unstated advantage my method has is that You don't have to use the full 1700 guys, 200 will loot the exact same amount and will cost you far less in upkeep and leaving your actual total money higher.

e: You can also raid on my method more frequently since the loot gauge fills up quicker than holdings lose the "looted" tag.

That's wild. I've literally never had either county raise enough of a defensive force to do anything, and I've never seen them use mercs effectively enough to matter.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My son was a demon child, and everyone between him and becoming my heir died. Which kind of sucked because I really liked my oldest daughter.

Of course, I, being the father of the evil child, was Satanic High Priest, and the resulting option made it sound like I was going to chastise him for overstepping.

I ended up roasting my strong, genius, attractive, if evil, child inside a metal bull.

So now I have to try to groom one of the other children and hope I can steal enough life essences to survive this pneumonia that won't go away.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's wild. I've literally never had either county raise enough of a defensive force to do anything, and I've never seen them use mercs effectively enough to matter.

I think there have been recent changes with how likely the AI is to use mercs if they're really threatened.

I attacked some 1 province Irish nobody in a different game and he suddenly pulled 3000 troops out of his rear end and stomped me in a fight. I was just about ready to surrender and take the prestige loss when his troops all suddenly disappeared and I realized he'd hired mercs and had enough money for literally a single month.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Good lord... Ever since installing the Reaper's Due expansion, I haven't been able to keep my rulers alive past the age of like 30. Last one I had died at 22.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gewehr 43 posted:

Good lord... Ever since installing the Reaper's Due expansion, I haven't been able to keep my rulers alive past the age of like 30. Last one I had died at 22.

Yeah unless you shut the gates all the time it is quite annoying. It used to be quite common to live into the 50s if you had decent health, nowadays the second I turn 30 I start planning for my inevitable sudden demise due to explosive vomiting / cancer / bruised knee

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

I haven't noticed any increase in mortality, myself. It's just that instead of dying in their 20s from "severe stress" or "poor health", now they die from "food poisoning" or "cancer".

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What happens if there's no valid heir for a title? Say you form the Britannia and then literally kill everyone else in the empire that could possibly hold titles and you scour the map of people outside your realm that could inherit because of family ties.

Do the titles cease to exist? Does the game appoint some random courtier? Does the game give up and delete itself off your computer?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carcer posted:

What happens if there's no valid heir for a title? Say you form the Britannia and then literally kill everyone else in the empire that could possibly hold titles and you scour the map of people outside your realm that could inherit because of family ties.

Do the titles cease to exist? Does the game appoint some random courtier? Does the game give up and delete itself off your computer?

Unless you also revoke all the cities and temples, it would go to one of the mayors or bishops I think. And the game will likely just spawn somebody to inherit it if all else fails.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TorakFade posted:

It used to be quite common to live into the 50s if you had decent health

Every ruler in my latest game has made it well into their 60s (and I've been using ultimogeniture from early on, so it's not that only the ones that survive inherit at all). The Hermetic Society is great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sometimes the dice rolls mean that you get dick cancer but the doc manages to cut it off and you live to a dickless 80 and sometimes the dice rolls mean you die at 25 of pneumonia.

I wouldn't mind if there was a diminished mtth to catch a disease in the first decade or two of the game before all your machinations are set up to prevent things like bad regencies, but that's probably a lot more work than its worth.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Carcer posted:

The title will go to the strongest vassal. If there are no more vassals, it will go to a courtier. If there are no more courtiers, it will generate one and give it to them.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

The title will go to the strongest vassal. If there are no more vassals, it will go to a courtier. If there are no more courtiers, it will generate one and give it to them.

Doesn't the game make sure you have at least a few courtiers?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Doesn't the game make sure you have at least a few courtiers?

They come on a periodic tick. It's possible to kill/kick them all out between ticks so that the only person in the entire realm is yourself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sounds like a good scenario. The nobility is ravaged by war and plague. Assassins and manure explosions dot the landscape. Some old janitor walks into the emperor's throne room, kicks your dusty corpse off the throne, and crowns himself the new emperor.

He immediately promotes a horse to chancellor.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gewehr 43 posted:

I haven't really had any issue. Make sure to have a decent Court Physician and you can survive for decades even if you get Cancer.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Just become the King of England in 840 from a start as Wessex at the Charley start date - how do I get English longbows?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Get subjugated by Normans.

Well that or have an heir educated Norman.

If there are no Normans get one educated Norse and hold some Breton, French or Occitan lands until the melting pot event fires and the lands become Norman.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 14, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hallowed posted:

Just become the King of England in 840 from a start as Wessex at the Charley start date - how do I get English longbows?

Marry a Norman and let her educate your kids, using the heritage education focus.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If you've got a good physician you are infinitely more likely to live to old age. Its so important that I think the alert you get should be a different one from the generic "You haven't got enough commander" one.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Am I reading this right? Heretics can't have secret cults? Naively I'd expect that to be the biggest use case.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also something to be aware of is that if you're in seclusion, you can't use the "recruit court physician" decision. So if your court physician dies while you've shut the gates, you won't get the "important decision available" warning until you open them again.

You can still assign physicians manually in seclusion, so if you can't afford to open the gates to find a new doctor, you can always just find someone in the realm with high learning, give them the title, and hope for the best.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Also remember that you can use the "invite holy man" decision a bunch of times until you get a guy with high learning. This is really useful if you're playing as a pagan who doesn't get the "recruit court physician" decision.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just remember without the physician or mystic trait, success rates are abysmal even with high learning. With the new character finder filters, you might be better off finding a physician to invite as a pagan instead of flipping the coin enough times for a rando to get the trait.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kainser posted:

Also remember that you can use the "invite holy man" decision a bunch of times until you get a guy with high learning. This is really useful if you're playing as a pagan who doesn't get the "recruit court physician" decision.

Unless you're in seclusion, then the 'get a courtier' decisions are all disabled.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

Just remember without the physician or mystic trait, success rates are abysmal even with high learning.

It's kind of the opposite actually. Having the physician trait does make success more likely, but having high learning not only makes success more likely, but it makes failure less likely. It's the same with opinion as well.

The important breakpoints are 15, 20, and 25 learning. For opinion it is 25, 50, and 75 opinion. If I had the choice between a doctor with the trait but only 20 learning, and one without the trait but 25, I would take the higher learning every time. The trait is really quick for them to pick up, especially if you have a large court so they are treating a ton of patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

binge crotching posted:

It's kind of the opposite actually. Having the physician trait does make success more likely, but having high learning not only makes success more likely, but it makes failure less likely. It's the same with opinion as well.

The important breakpoints are 15, 20, and 25 learning. For opinion it is 25, 50, and 75 opinion. If I had the choice between a doctor with the trait but only 20 learning, and one without the trait but 25, I would take the higher learning every time. The trait is really quick for them to pick up, especially if you have a large court so they are treating a ton of patients.
Hmmm, I might have mixed the hearsay up with specific pathways locked off, but it looks like you can get physician_good_trigger with the level 3 or 4 scholar backgrounds or the various scholar traits and some other pathways like drastic can also be triggered with 25 learning. Still worth a second look when inviting to make sure they apply because it boosts the chance of specific treatment pathways, like going drastic for experimental is almost always better unless you lose the dick roulette.

• Locked thread