Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Adrift DEFINITELY does not hold up as a game. I mean maybe for 5 bucks or something you'd get 10 minutes of enjoyment on freeplay just flying around, but I definitely would not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
KSP barely runs as a normal game, no way could they get it to work in VR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hi everyone. I'm here to talk to you about submarines. Submarines are the best and most interesting weapon of warfare due to their innate complexity, power and weakness. Submarines are in essence, perfect. However, being on board a submarine is awful, especially of the most fun and interesting WW2 variety. Now you can pretend to be in a submarine in Ironwolf VR, my new favourite ever thing in VR. Goddamn is it good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

To complete the experience you need someone to bang you over the head with a cast iron pan whenever you try to move from room to room.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been in a early cold-war era soviet sub and holy poo poo don't be around when the xo yells "MAKE A HOLE".

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
That gives me an idea, the Archimedean Dynasty game in VR. Holy poo poo, that would be amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jonathan posted:

I've been in a early cold-war era soviet sub and holy poo poo don't be around when the xo yells "MAKE A HOLE".

I'm tired and stupid, what's that order supposed to mean?

(edit) Oh, clear the walkway. Right.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hi everyone. I'm here to talk to you about submarines. Submarines are the best and most interesting weapon of warfare due to their innate complexity, power and weakness. Submarines are in essence, perfect. However, being on board a submarine is awful, especially of the most fun and interesting WW2 variety. Now you can pretend to be in a submarine in Ironwolf VR, my new favourite ever thing in VR. Goddamn is it good.
Sub game is real fun, though not very complex right now. I've only played the first three missions, maybe they take away some automation / add complexity later.

It's two rooms plus a topdeck "room" with a flak gun. There are two ballast levers, a heading wheel and a sorta magic map in one room. The other houses the periscope, a 'lock on' switch and 4 torpedo switches. Pretty hectic trying to dodge mines while locking on and firing torpedos. When you take damage, you start sinking so you just pump air in to try and counter it until you magically heal (?). There are a few things you can turn and fiddle with and I'm guessing it's for future or advanced content, like wheels for your torpedo tubes and you can aim your sonar in a specific direction, but they aren't needed as far as I can tell.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So i got 50 virtual bux in store credit on the Oculus store and i'm wondering how Superhot works in VR? Specifically i wonder how much fast turning around you have to do in it. I remember getting surrounded a lot on the later levels and my two sensors are in front of me. So if i turn around i don't get good tracking.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Dongattack posted:

So i got 50 virtual bux in store credit on the Oculus store and i'm wondering how Superhot works in VR? Specifically i wonder how much fast turning around you have to do in it. I remember getting surrounded a lot on the later levels and my two sensors are in front of me. So if i turn around i don't get good tracking.

It's front facing, there aren't any enemies that come from behind you, IIRC.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Poetic Justice posted:

Ah, cool cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a whole new game, not just super hot in VR.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

It's also really, really good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It just got the free update as well so there's a bunch of ways to play it, not sure if they're only available after you've played the game normally but I love Endless mode.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Songbearer posted:

It just got the free update as well so there's a bunch of ways to play it, not sure if they're only available after you've played the game normally but I love Endless mode.

I just picked it up the other day. It immediately starts playing the story, no way to get to menus or anything. Once you beat the story, you can do the extras. Story is fairly short, think I took 2-3 hours.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

VorpX just got updated a few days ago. It works really well with Fallout New Vegas these days. With the Direct VR feature, the experience feels near native VR and I felt presence. It even has positional tracking so you can peek around corners! The motion controllers work really well for a game designed for keyboard+mouse too and you can play it standing.

I am playing my New Vegas with the following mods: NVSE, Ohud, New Vegas Crash remover

I don't regret spending 40 dollars on VorpX. Just for being able to play New Vegas in VR makes it worth it. There's several other games that work well with it now including Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, and even Resident Evil 7.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 14, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

iceaim posted:

VorpX just got updated a few days ago. It works really well with Fallout New Vegas these days. With the Direct VR feature, the experience feels near native VR and I felt presence. It even has positional tracking so you can peek around corners! The motion controllers work really well for a game designed for keyboard+mouse too and you can play it standing.

I am playing my New Vegas with the following mods: NVSE, Ohud, New Vegas Crash remover

I don't regret spending 40 dollars on VorpX. Just for being able to play New Vegas in VR makes it worth it. There's several other games that work well with it now including Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, and even Resident Evil 7.

Instantly googled to see if you could use it with Skyrim, and you can, but no SKSE :negative:

Also i got SuperHot, it made me SuperSweaty and was SuperFun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dongattack posted:

Instantly googled to see if you could use it with Skyrim, and you can, but no SKSE :negative:

I have to assume it's related to the SKSE script extender not being out yet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

8one6 posted:

I have to assume it's related to the SKSE script extender not being out yet.

For the 64 bit version of Skyrim you mean? That's possible. I wasn't planning on playing that version :v:

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Also i got SuperHot, it made me SuperSweaty and was SuperFun.

Actually Direct VR supports both Skyrim and Skyrim SE.

http://www.vorpx.com/vorpx-17-1-0-released/

quote:

Direct VR

Direct VR can provide perfect 1:1 head tracking, automated FOV adjustment with perfectly calculated FOV regardless of headset, game resolution or vorpX settings that may affect the correct game FOV. In some cases also positional tracking can be handled by Direct VR.

Current games with full or partial Direct VR support: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

But in addition to VorpX you'll probably want several "comfort" mods to tweak the GUI so if Skyrim SE is limited in the mods that it can run be sure to keep that in mind.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

One caveat with regards to VorpX is that I have an iron stomach. Nothing gets me sick. At worst case, I feel a tipsy euphoric dizziness which is very pleasant rather than a nauseous feeling. As a result I actively seek out VR experiences that people complain about making them sick because it literally makes me high.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 14, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

iceaim posted:

One caveat with regards to VorpX is that I have an iron stomach. Nothing gets me sick. At worst case, I feel a tipsy euphoric dizziness which is very pleasant rather than a nauseous feeling. As a result I actively seek out VR experiences that people complain about making them sick because it literally makes me high.

Have you tried Subnautica in VR then? Might make you very high cause it sure made me very sick.

Thanks for the Skyrim info! Tempting to try it out.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Have you tried Subnautica in VR then? Might make you very high cause it sure made me very sick.

I have it, but I haven't played it! I will definitely try it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Haven't tried VorpX for along time. Skyrim was pretty lame in really versions with the dk2. Might have to check out this update.

Tried ISS tonight and the movement really threw me off, especially the thruster movement.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I bought Subnautica a couple weeks back and tried it in VR, and I had to turn it off 30 minutes after I started it. I was pretty annoyed, because I really wanted it to work. The next day I read a tip on the Steam forums, and it actually worked. I've put in about 15 motion sickness-free hours since then. Don't strafe or use the ascend/descend buttons on the controller; only go in the direction that you are facing. Stand up while you are playing.

I hope this helps someone, because Subnautica is by far the best game I've tried for VR so far. It's by far the longest in terms of content.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

iceaim posted:

How does the aiming work? Eye aiming, or do you actually aim with motion controllers?

I do love New Vegas and Fallout 4 VR isn't coming out soon enough for my tastes.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bremen posted:

How does the aiming work? Eye aiming, or do you actually aim with motion controllers?

I do love New Vegas and Fallout 4 VR isn't coming out soon enough for my tastes.

It's eye aiming, but I found that it didn't hurt immersion for me personally. In fact the eye aiming is the only thing that is preventing New Vegas from reaching Doom 3 VR mod or Minecraft VR mod levels of quality. Everything else is right up there with Doom 3. You don't feel like you are looking at a giant virtual screen. You feel like you are in the Fallout universe.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can't get Doom 3 VR to work for me. Apparently it has something to do with the AMD drivers I have.

I can however get Soundboxing to work and odds are good that my arms will never not be tired again.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Dongattack posted:

Skyrim with the SKSE (script extender) works with VorpX. I have a huuuuge mod setup and it works just as well as vanilla. I haven't tried the latest version but the biggest problems are that the graphics don't scale especially well (stretched resolution) and the gamepad emulation sucks so you will have to use mouse + keyboard.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Poetic Justice posted:

WTF, there's tons of enemies that spawn behind you in SUPER HOT. It's the point that you need to move around and take into account your whole environment.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

WTF, there's tons of enemies that spawn behind you in SUPER HOT. It's the point that you need to move around and take into account your whole environment.

The VR version is an entirely different game, it's not just a port. And unless you want to be frustrated by being shot in the back of the head when you weren't looking, it's probably a good thing :)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 14, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Poetic Justice posted:

The VR version is an entirely different game, it's not just a port. And unless you want to be frustrated by being shot in the back of the head when you weren't looking, it's probably a good thing :)

But I played it just yesterday, enemies do spawn behind you, I was wondering why the level wasn't over after I killed all the guys in front.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

Sub game is real fun, though not very complex right now. I've only played the first three missions, maybe they take away some automation / add complexity later.

It's two rooms plus a topdeck "room" with a flak gun. There are two ballast levers, a heading wheel and a sorta magic map in one room. The other houses the periscope, a 'lock on' switch and 4 torpedo switches. Pretty hectic trying to dodge mines while locking on and firing torpedos. When you take damage, you start sinking so you just pump air in to try and counter it until you magically heal (?). There are a few things you can turn and fiddle with and I'm guessing it's for future or advanced content, like wheels for your torpedo tubes and you can aim your sonar in a specific direction, but they aren't needed as far as I can tell.
Sounds a little half-backed but submarines is a great idea for a VR game. I used to play a bit of Silent Hunter a bit and the concept should translate really well, as there's not so much running around and VR should really help with immersion there.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The Foo Show finally released their first episode on Steam... but it's still not quite finished yet lol (hence not on Oculus Home yet): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willsmith/go-inside-your-favorite-video-games-with-the-foo-s/posts/1830523?ref=backer_project_update
The setting/theme for the episode Is Quadrilateral Cowboy, an indy puzzle game.

iceaim posted:

Interesting to hear. What issues remain with The New Vegas/Skyrim vr experience?
Also what the hell happens when you try to talk to an npc in NV? Does it still do the horrible Oblivion-style camera zoom on their weird plastic faces?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 14, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

But I played it just yesterday, enemies do spawn behind you, I was wondering why the level wasn't over after I killed all the guys in front.

Hmm, I certainly could be mis-remembering, but I didn't think they did, weird. I know they come from the left and right, but I don't remember ever having to turn completely around in VR for that game. Do you remember which level it was?

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I know they don't spawn behind you because when I beat the game, I only had 2 sensors and both were in front. So I dunno what game you are playing! Super Hot VR is a front facing ~180 degree experience. Maybe you were on LSD or something?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 14, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SuperHot is front facing. There is a bridge section with four guys on your left and right at the start, turning to fight 2 would put the other 2 behind you, though it's hardly the same as spawning directly behind you. And in endless, they shatter when you change position, so even if the position they were previously in, is behind you, they'd be gone.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Poetic Justice posted:

Hmm, I certainly could be mis-remembering, but I didn't think they did, weird. I know they come from the left and right, but I don't remember ever having to turn completely around in VR for that game. Do you remember which level it was?

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I know they don't spawn behind you because when I beat the game, I only had 2 sensors and both were in front. So I dunno what game you are playing! Super Hot VR is a front facing ~180 degree experience. Maybe you were on LSD or something?

Maybe it's one of those games that changes depending on the size of your play area like A-180 or Legend of Luca?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I guess it has to do with the way you Oculus users define 'behind', being on Vive roomscale I don't really have a defined 'forward' direction, so when I start a level and they all come from one direction and then they come from the exact opposite, it's 'behind' for me. Possible that no one spawned left/right in that instance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SteamVR does have a defined forward direction though, you chose it when you did your initial setup. IDK what gets reported to Superhot via Revive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if SHVR detects Revive and alters the game to be a full 360? That'd be dumb as hell and totally within the spirit of the game's story.