Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I intend to be cremated and my friends are instructed to get my ashes into the food of everyone I hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I got to drive a new GMC Yukon that was fully loaded today. It's by far the nicest thing I've ever driven, which I guess isn't saying much. However, it was amazing and I want one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Continuing movie chat the trailer for Baby Driver looks fun. Edgar Wright (Spaced / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead / Scott Pilgrim) usually does entertaining stuff and he was recently posting about his love of The Driver mentioned earlier so I'm pretty hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byb2eJ_lLes
That looks pretty good.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I have a kit lens from another body, but haven't touched it more than a couple of times (come to think of it, I haven't seen it since I moved). For #2, the 50mm 1.8 is probably the most popular option for Canon and Nikon. It's sharp as hell, fast, and cheap. I personally prefer the 35mm 1.8 I have now, more because I don't have to step back as far. It's about as sharp as the 50mm I had before, and a 35mm AF-S was cheaper [locally, on Craigslist] than a 50mm AF-S when I switched to my D5100 (which lacks the autofocus motor.. AF-S puts a motor in the lens - I used a 50mm AF when I used my D70S).

I never got around to getting a telephoto.

My own opinion is a prime lens forces you to put a bit more thought into composing your image. Granted, with the 20+ megapixel cameras out there now, you can always just crop if you wind up too far back, but you still have to position yourself to frame the shot, instead of just zooming in or out. They also tend to be very sharp, and relatively cheap.

Oh, telephotos are probably on the line between need/want for a lot of consumers, but if you're really into photography, a telephoto lens should be one of the first couple lenses you purchase. Shorter telephotos are great for letting your camera take pictures that you feel like it should be able to, while still being useful for things roughly 5 feet away. You're drat right on the prime lens though, the stuff taken with the 50mm f/1.8 lens I got for her a while ago are generally the best looking pictures that either of us have taken

She uses the camera to supplement her income and keep her editing skills sharp, I just like to take pictures

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks all for the DSLR info and suggestions. I'll have to talk with her about what she really wants.
I've got a couple pricy-ish toys - I guess she can have one, since we can't afford a bassoon for her to play (yet).

BraveUlysses posted:

i've got an older minolta 5D dslr i've been meaning to sell, comes with one or two lenses and i'll let it go cheap.

Hmm. How does that compare? I can see it's 10 years old or so. I glanced at some specs and reviews, but only briefly at the moment. How is lense availability/compatibility. I know some of you prefer the motor to be in the lense or on the body for AF - I forget which was deemed to be more desireable vs. price.
What's "cheap"? I'm all kinds of new to world of real cameras, and my wallet is puckering already.
Cheap enough and I may play with it myself, I suppose. A quick glance art eBay has prices all over the place.

Regarding Canon 40D, 50D, etc. I'll ask and see what she thinks. Can those still go full auto for talentless hacks like me?
Not sure how she feels about used, since all but the 70D and 80D are too old to be sold new.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You can't really go wrong with Canon or Nikon. But one thing to be wary of with Nikon - their lower end bodies don't have the focus motor in the body. And their AF series lenses... don't have a focus motor in the lens, they rely on the focus motor in the body (so they're essentially manual focus on a body that doesn't have the motor). If she goes Nikon and winds up with a D5xxx or lower, she'd need an AF-S lens (which does have the focus motor) if she wants autofocus to be a thing. That's one thing you don't have to worry about with Canon

Ah, that's probably what I was trying to remember regarding the AF motors.

quote:

I have a D5100 myself, and the only lens I ever use is a 35mm f/1.8. Think I paid $100 for the lens and $350 for the body (both used, both years ago - the 5100 is as low as $200 now depending where you look, and it's still a solid entry level body if you can make do with only 16.2 MP). I think the current version is the D5500? It still has manual controls for everything, or you can just go newb and leave everything in auto. ISO 6400 on mine is still pretty clear, and with this lens, fast enough that I can often shoot handheld at night. What's kinda nice about the 5100 in particular is it has a flip out LCD, so if you're trying to shoot something while holding the camera way up in the air, you can turn on live preview mode and aim the LCD down. I don't know how long they kept that feature - 5200 has it, don't know about others, but I think it was exclusive to the 5xxx series.

keh.com is an excellent place for used camera gear.

also, what totalnewbie said about Canon stuff. The Rebel line is a good beginner's camera, but I'd compare it to Nikon's D3xxxx line.

I have a kit lens from another body, but haven't touched it more than a couple of times (come to think of it, I haven't seen it since I moved). For #2, the 50mm 1.8 is probably the most popular option for Canon and Nikon. It's sharp as hell, fast, and cheap. I personally prefer the 35mm 1.8 I have now, more because I don't have to step back as far. It's about as sharp as the 50mm I had before, and a 35mm AF-S was cheaper [locally, on Craigslist] than a 50mm AF-S when I switched to my D5100 (which lacks the autofocus motor.. AF-S puts a motor in the lens - I used a 50mm AF when I used my D70S).

I never got around to getting a telephoto.

My own opinion is a prime lens forces you to put a bit more thought into composing your image. Granted, with the 20+ megapixel cameras out there now, you can always just crop if you wind up too far back, but you still have to position yourself to frame the shot, instead of just zooming in or out. They also tend to be very sharp, and relatively cheap.

Thanks, I'll check out keh.com

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It honestly comes down to how much you're willing to spend, start with a budget and go from there.

Yeah. Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the price of entry is and then go from there. I'm just learning what a decent camera goes for.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a Canon T3i that's still good enough for my casual photography needs, so I'd recommend looking for a used one of those or a t4i/t5i. It'll do everything until you decide that you want to move up to a full-frame sensor and that's going to be $$$$$ no matter what brand you get.

Cool. I'm not sure how serious she's going to be. So far the Rebel doesn't seem to be annoying her.
Will be nice having a decent camera handy. All I've ever had was point and shoot, and my phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a Kiss Digital N / Digital Rebel XT / 350D Hehe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CharlesM posted:

I have a Kiss Digital N / Digital Rebel XT / 350D Hehe.

Yeah, I saw on Wikipedia where the (US) Rebel series has much different and/or cuter names elsewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hullo Melbourne. I see your traffic sucks as per usual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Yeah. Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the price of entry is and then go from there. I'm just learning what a decent camera goes for.

There are lots of decent cameras, you could get an old 20D for 80 bucks and it would be just fine. If she like the rebel stick with that and get some good glass, that's what really matters. Most of the entry level bodies are all going to perform about the same until you start getting into the big buck pro bodies.

[e] and holy poo poo is imgur being a cock right now, trying to upload St.Pete Grand Prix images and it's refusing to save image size changes :argh:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had a 350D with a 35-105mm and a 50mm f1.8.

To be fair you can learn the basics (and get some fantastic shots) on really cheap equipment. She (like many photographers) may have all the kit but no eye for it... It happens.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To be fair you can learn the basics (and get some fantastic shots) on really cheap equipment. She (like many photographers) may have all the kit but no eye for it... It happens.

This is a really good point. Older cameras are most certainly just as capable of producing great shots. Granted tho, a good lens will allow you to take a shot that a cheaper setup wont allow you to do. Which is why I love the L-Glass I have, it's not that the body cant take the shot, it's more the lens gives you more flexibilty to get a shot that a lesser lens would struggle with. Or they work in a wider enviroment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bodies will come and go, invest in glass.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

angryrobots posted:

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

I actually got my wife's family's tax guy to do our taxes for free. I had already done our taxes and he said if he can't beat my number then he won't charge me.

angryrobots posted:

I've got a bunch of headlight bulbs lying around from previous vehicles (I always replaced them in pairs) and I'm thinking about making some desk lamps after I move into my new house.
Anyone got a hook on cheap connectors? I'd prefer not to use individual blade connectors or drive to a junkyard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I saw on Wikipedia where the (US) Rebel series has much different and/or cuter names elsewhere.

I actually have the Kiss Digital N (JDM yo!), I wanted the silver body :P

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
M4/3 or bust.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Heya AI goons,

I just bought a car a couple weeks ago that is probably going to take over my life and I just wanted to check in with you guys.

She's this lovely lady right here and she's a magical creature:

(1974 Super Beetle. Indeterminate mileage. Runs like a loving champ.)

I posted about her on The Samba, which is a site I didn't even know existed until recently. So my question to AI is, do we trust these guys? I don't necessarily want to have more than one forum in my life, but I didn't see any sort of classic VW thread here... maybe the general VW/porche thread is adequate? I don't know why I trust goons more than other strangers on the internet... it's probably Stockholm syndrome. I just want to do right by her, ya know?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Have you checked for black widows yet?

Make your own project thread if you like! We have a lot of collected experience in acvws here. Beautiful example.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Samba is a good resource, but they are super elitist. Be careful. Most questions will be answered with "use the search bar", which is bullshit and doesn't foster an active community.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The samba will also apparently ban you for doing things such as not using all new old stock official vw components that cost a months pay and require shipping from a shack in brazil. Like they did to MGS a while back. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also that too. Deleted my entire thread, even.

Use TheSamba as a search repository and not much more.

I got chided because I figured out that the 2"x2" air conditioning sealing foam could be cut in half lengthwise and used as a better-than-stock engine seal. The difference is an engine seal is $50, but the AC foam was $4 for 2.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And they'll privately email you asking if you'd rather sell your bus to one of them to restore "properly," because they think you're "ruining" it as-is.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

poo poo, that's good to know. Thanks guys.

I'll start a project thread when I have more to post than just an intro, I think. Been told I have brake stuff to check on. That could be exciting :)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Samba is a good resource, but they are super elitist. Be careful. Most questions will be answered with "use the search bar", which is bullshit and doesn't foster an active community.

To be fair this is like 99% of any automotive/hardware/how-to forum on the internet.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And they'll privately email you asking if you'd rather sell your bus to one of them to restore "properly," because they think you're "ruining" it as-is.
Sir, efficiency and cost-savings techniques go against everything German engineering stands for. We're going to have to ask you to hand over the bus.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The subtle undercurrent of nazi fetishism bubbled up sometimes when I read stuff. Its bizarre when you think Germany hadn't touched an ACVW since the late 70s so there's tons of iron crosses on Brazilian/Mexican fortified shitpiles.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp... went to dinner with dead friend's dad, and dead friend's urn full of ashes, plus some friends.

His dad confirmed to me that he did die of an overdose. :sigh: He didn't specify what drug, but did say needles were involved, and when I asked if Narcan would have helped, he said "absolutely" (his dad is no stranger to drugs himself, but never got into needles), so yeah, opiate OD. Never even knew he got into them, but I have some pretty strong feelings on IV drug use, and opiates in particular, so he probably kept that info from me. His dad said my friend had been struggling for a few years now. :smith:

His dad got to turn in my friend's Mustang.. 2015 or 2016 5.0. He said he made drat sure the tires were as bald as possible while still holding air on the way to turn it in, so at least his car got one final proper thrashing. :unsmith:

Darchangel posted:

Hmm. How does that compare? I can see it's 10 years old or so. I glanced at some specs and reviews, but only briefly at the moment. How is lense availability/compatibility. I know some of you prefer the motor to be in the lense or on the body for AF - I forget which was deemed to be more desireable vs. price.

What's "cheap"? I'm all kinds of new to world of real cameras, and my wallet is puckering already.
Cheap enough and I may play with it myself, I suppose. A quick glance art eBay has prices all over the place.

Regarding Canon 40D, 50D, etc. I'll ask and see what she thinks. Can those still go full auto for talentless hacks like me?
Not sure how she feels about used, since all but the 70D and 80D are too old to be sold new.

Minolta lenses will work fine on the Sony alpha series of cameras - they're "DSLR" in most ways, but no mirror, and quite a bit more compact than a regular DSLR. And Minolta lenses are pretty cheap.

And yeah, everything except the highest end stuff should have a full auto mode, also a "programmed auto" mode where it still respects some settings (ISO, white balance, etc). Then there's stuff like "aperture priority", "shutter priority", etc where there's still a little bit of automatic stuff going on - aperture priority keeps the shutter speed automatic, but keeps whatever aperture (f/stop) you've set for proper exposure, while shutter priority is the opposite. Canon uses slightly different terms, but it's the same thing.

I generally shoot in aperture priority, autofocus on, with manual ISO. I don't bother with white balance settings since I shoot in RAW (NEF on Nikon) anyway; the file is just the raw, unprocessed image.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually got my wife's family's tax guy to do our taxes for free. I had already done our taxes and he said if he can't beat my number then he won't charge me.

I've got a bunch of headlight bulbs lying around from previous vehicles (I always replaced them in pairs) and I'm thinking about making some desk lamps after I move into my new house.
Anyone got a hook on cheap connectors? I'd prefer not to use individual blade connectors or drive to a junkyard.

My dad is a CPA. I usually have him give my taxes a once over, but so far Turbotax has been pretty good.

But up until last year, my taxes have been dead simple.

You can always buy pigtail connectors on Amazon and eBay. When I reverted back to stock-style bulbs for my fogs (from my lovely HIDZZZZ kit), I spliced in new pigtails that I picked up from Amazon for a few bucks. If they're all the same style bulb, you can buy a 10 pack.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 14, 2017

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

I lost a friend to the same few years ago. It's a confusing mix of sadness and anger and other things, or it was for me anyway. I'm sorry for your loss.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

On camera chat, I absolutely love my EOS 7D. Its only the Mk1 version, but it still outdoes my abilities as a photographer. I dont have the disposable cash for L series glass so I have to make do with USM lenses but the 10-22 wide angle is a BRILLIANT lens for landscape photography and has an absolutely insane minimum focal length of about 1 foot, so you can really gently caress about with shallow depth of field and close up.

I also use my iphone for 90% of my photos cos its easier to put on facebook :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

An arty guy I know through a friend of a friend and I got talking one drunken evening years ago and decided we wanted to build a compete working daguerrotype (I probably spelt that wrong) setup, because A: it would be cool as hell B: hipsters would pay the ludicrous premium required to make it break even.

He messaged me a few weeks afterwards to tell me not to do the chemical research he had done as a follow up, because he got a visit from the old bill...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well.... I'm in a dive of a hotel in Melboure. I'm pretty sure there's a prositute working two doors down

Either that or someone is calling to God really loudly.

Oh wait LOL it's a guy banging his mistress. He's talking loud enough how she sucks cock better than his wife does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

His wife is in the next room, she gets off on being degraded and has a voyeur fetish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

His wife is in the next room, she gets off on being degraded and has a voyeur fetish.

I'm pretty sure this hotel has seen and heard a lot worse.

Not that I care either way, consenting adults can do what they want. Just rather amusing :)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just rather arousing :)

You are the weirdest sex tourist

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Overheard conversation between two little old ladies in the booth next to me, taking about their health issues -

"Oh I was run over a forklift and drug..." :stonk:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Camera chat, I bought a Canon 760D after the auto-focus on my 400D lost its mind and I love it. It's just the right mix of automated and manual control for me and there's so many little improvements: Spinny control wheel on the back, the top screen, a lock button on the mode wheel, spot metering etc. Plus the autofocus is almost psychic at times, and even at ISO 12800(!) it's less noisy than my old camera was at ISO 1600.

I bought a 70-200 f/4 L from America years ago when we were getting almost $2 to a £ and Canon were just switching currency symbols to price things in different markets. I don't get to use it thaaat much but when I do, drat it's good. L glass is addictive.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
(Camera chat cont).

Picked up a t5i when my oldest was born (4 years ago). Nice camera. The bundle you can buy pretty much anywhere comes with great lenses. Arguably, the 18-55 is one of the better all-around use lenses you can get. If you want a cheap cheap cheap prime, nifty-fifty is nice. However, I've found it's a bit too big for in-doors type kid photography in normal/tight spaces on a crop sensor. Just picked up a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and it is great..but that's the first real step into $$$ lenses I've done.

A+ would buy all of this again. The T5i does everything my lovely skill asks of it and is easy enough to change the settings in full manual mode.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ferremit posted:

On camera chat, I absolutely love my EOS 7D. Its only the Mk1 version, but it still outdoes my abilities as a photographer. I dont have the disposable cash for L series glass so I have to make do with USM lenses but the 10-22 wide angle is a BRILLIANT lens for landscape photography and has an absolutely insane minimum focal length of about 1 foot, so you can really gently caress about with shallow depth of field and close up.

I also use my iphone for 90% of my photos cos its easier to put on facebook :v:

Should have bought the 6D if you want wide angles :v:

That's one big thing to consider when buying a camera: a crop sensor will give you a good (1.6x for Canon) bang-for-your-buck value on telephoto lenses but a full-frame will give you better picture quality and better wider shots. They're also more expensive but them's the breaks. I think 6D is the cheapest full-frame.

The other big consideration is whether the camera will be used for photos or videos. I got a 6D primarily because I'm not interested in doing video. If I had wanted to do video, I would have gotten a 7D without question. The disparity in capability between the two is huge.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Matt Criibabi posted:

Heya AI goons,

I just bought a car a couple weeks ago that is probably going to take over my life and I just wanted to check in with you guys.

She's this lovely lady right here and she's a magical creature:

(1974 Super Beetle. Indeterminate mileage. Runs like a loving champ.)

I posted about her on The Samba, which is a site I didn't even know existed until recently. So my question to AI is, do we trust these guys? I don't necessarily want to have more than one forum in my life, but I didn't see any sort of classic VW thread here... maybe the general VW/porche thread is adequate? I don't know why I trust goons more than other strangers on the internet... it's probably Stockholm syndrome. I just want to do right by her, ya know?

This is cool and welcome to the IRL cool guys forum.

I did a fair amount of research on a DSLR while my wife was pregnant with my second child because I wanted to capture memories better than our iPhones were capable of doing. I ended up with the Canon T5i with the 18-55 kit lens and the zoom lens (55-250? I think) from Costco. I have never used the zoom lens so in hindsight I probably wouldn't have bothered with buying the combo pack. I did get the ~$125 Canon 50mm prime lens that spends most of the time on the camera. I wish it could focus a little faster. I decided that this camera body had way more settings beyond my skill set but I am getting better at it and will one day replace it with higher end glass and I would love to eventually get a full frame camera; maybe look at picking up a used 5D mkIII without eleventy billion on the shutter count.

I have definitely taken some photos that I was really happy with the result. I don't have photoshop so I pretty much just pull the raw images from the camera and go from there. Photoshop is another thing on my list of things I want to eventually get good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The iPhone 7 plus with portrait mode suits my needs

• Locked thread