Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't questioned it until now because I just didn't know what the gently caress was going on anyways, but now that we have a better sense of what's happening, does anyone know why there are gerbil tubes with gerbils all over the base?

Carey's got some really weird ideas when it comes to emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't questioned it until now because I just didn't know what the gently caress was going on anyways, but now that we have a better sense of what's happening, does anyone know why there are gerbil tubes with gerbils all over the base?

richard gere cameo in the season finale

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

punchymcpunch posted:

richard gere cameo in the season finale

What if the entire show has been taking place inside Davids Richard Gere's mind rear end the whole time? :aaaaa:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got caught up. Dan Stevens is killing it. That "Rainbow Connection" scene was haunting.

Also, that final scene... Rachel Keller's reaction to seeing the fat yellow man. She can sell fear.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I don't think focusing on the Demon with Yellow Eyes effect that clearly in that bright a room for that long was a good idea though. Thing looked really loving derpy.

Also Syd has consistently been the worst-written part of the show but this episode was just cringeworthy. "He's my man"? Really show? Like even if you're going to go for the "she's at the same cognitive level as a puppy because now she can have sex" thing at least have a better line to sell it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I wish every single scene of my life was framed like a godsdamned techno music video geezus Christ this show is awesome.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't think focusing on the Demon with Yellow Eyes effect that clearly in that bright a room for that long was a good idea though. Thing looked really loving derpy.

I think that's maybe deliberate? Like, Peter Kay Demon, World's Angriest Boy and little adorable Lenny aren't exactly the scariest visuals in the world, but they all seemed to scare the poo poo out of people when viewed through the lens of David's unconscious mind. Kinda like how you can have a nightmare that leaves you wrecked and covered in sweat, then when you wake up you realise there's actually nothing scary at all about your shoes having minds of their own or your grandma chasing you down an infinitely long corridor.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah, it's a Thing That Shouldn't Be type of horror instead of a monster with dick claws or whatever. Kind of reminds me how in 2001 Dave Bowman meets Old Man Dave Bowman and it's creepy even though it's just an old guy in a bed and a guy in a spacesuit. Or when Josie Packard gets trapped in a doorknob and it's objectively the goofiest thing ever filmed, still works.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I think that's maybe deliberate? Like, Peter Kay Demon, World's Angriest Boy and little adorable Lenny aren't exactly the scariest visuals in the world, but they all seemed to scare the poo poo out of people when viewed through the lens of David's unconscious mind. Kinda like how you can have a nightmare that leaves you wrecked and covered in sweat, then when you wake up you realise there's actually nothing scary at all about your shoes having minds of their own or your grandma chasing you down an infinitely long corridor.

Nah, the brief shots up until that point were really sinister but the full reveal was a waddling HELLO NICE TO MEET YOU because they went for leering on the face and ended up with goofy.

It ended up being sufficiently bizarre but not particularly frightening imo.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
My solution would be to give it some unnatural quality, for example it suddenly moving very fast.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plucky Brit posted:

My solution would be to give it some unnatural quality, for example it suddenly moving very fast.

Literally all they had to do was change the expression on his face and it'd be a million times better. They have CGI, I dunno why they didn't just reshoot. :shrug:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I actually thought his lecherous grin and slow waddle here made him a lot creepier than his previous appearances. Syd's trapped in a room with this thing, there's nowhere for her to go, there's no reason for him to hurry and he's having a great time. That made it feel a lot worse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Even just gently caress with the lighting a bit. Shoot in a whole bunch of Dutch angles. Make it the surreal nightmare it's supposed to be.

Not a fat, dirty guy slowly walking towards you in a brightly lit room. Unless you're holding the last cupcake, that's not going to frighten anybody.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

They do that for it in other scenes, like him skittering around the edge of the ice cube.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Even just gently caress with the lighting a bit. Shoot in a whole bunch of Dutch angles. Make it the surreal nightmare it's supposed to be.

Not a fat, dirty guy slowly walking towards you in a brightly lit room. Unless you're holding the last cupcake, that's not going to frighten anybody.

I feel like they already did 4 hours of half-frame jump cuts on the demon, just having the camera on him uninterrupted for that long was such a dramatic change.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I found the scene with the Yellow-Eyed Devil in the white space was drat good and creepy. Finally getting a good look at him did not reduce his effect.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

whowhatwhere posted:

Also Syd has consistently been the worst-written part of the show but this episode was just cringeworthy. "He's my man"? Really show? Like even if you're going to go for the "she's at the same cognitive level as a puppy because now she can have sex" thing at least have a better line to sell it.

I dunno, it doesn't seem that off for someone who's had such a stunted childhood and bounced around through psych hospitals. She's probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum, and it makes sense that she's got a teenager's sense of relationships in a lot of respects. It's a little creepy to watch, because I get the sense that neither of them really has all their marbles, but I feel like they've done a pretty good job of showing a relationship between two people with mental development issues.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Vancouver can produce just as high quality as anywhere else, it's just that most productions that choose Vancouver usually do it because they don't have a big budget.

Makes sense. Although, my comment was intended as a commentary on what the actual product usually ends up being, rather than why it ends up looking so lame. You have sparked my curiosity though. Do you have some examples of high quality stuff out of Vancouver? Like most things cultural/technological/political, the :canada: version of something is usually a mediocre, store's house brand, knock off of the USA version.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

He's one of the only people alive she can touch physically, which is a big deal to her for obvious reasons.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

She did say "who teaches us to be normal when we're one of a kind?".

She knows it wasn't normal. But she's not normal. Her life, including sexuality, was never going to be normal.

Horny teenagers swapping bodies to get sex is totally understandable if ethically horrifying.

That was a pretty screwed up, horrifying story that explains why she's like she is in some regards. It's also pretty sad, because while what she did was horrible, this is a kid who literally could never even hold someone's hand desperate to feel something. The fact that she suggests that she never did anything like that ever again is telling.

I'm guessing a phobia of mutants is why she never tried anything freaky but less immoral later on. Given her powers seem to stop working once activated (at least, I don't think they musical-chairs things), I can definitely picture some.. strange but not really immoral ways around that problem involving a willing surrogate body or straight mind-swap.

Still, props for them coming up with a backstory that's one part tragic and two parts hosed up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

B33rChiller posted:

Makes sense. Although, my comment was intended as a commentary on what the actual product usually ends up being, rather than why it ends up looking so lame. You have sparked my curiosity though. Do you have some examples of high quality stuff out of Vancouver? Like most things cultural/technological/political, the :canada: version of something is usually a mediocre, store's house brand, knock off of the USA version.

A huge amount of stuff is made there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_series_produced_in_Vancouver

A lot of stuff that is mid-grade, and a few really solid choices. The only one that stands out to me where Vancouver hurts it is Fear the Walking Dead, which is a loving hilariously bad show worthy only of hate watching (seriously it makes the core WD look like Shakespeare) because it was supposed to be set in LA and didn't even look a tiny little itsy bit like it even from a passing POV.

Still probably some two dozen shows I've personally watched on that list and a lot of notable classics and ongoing shows that work really well. Just I think Vancouver is much easier to pass off as Chicago or New York City if you plan on filming outdoors. (Other stuff, like Battlestar Galactica, it probably mattered less to.. outside of explaining all the woodland planets just like Stargate SG-1). It looks absolutely fine in The Magicians (a far better show than it should be) and was a really nice diverse central location for the X-Files.

ED: I do think the terrain diversity along with filming laws and tax breaks contributes to all this. You've got lots of terrain ranging from urban streets to massive woods, it's a good spot for TV.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 15, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

I think Syd's talk of "He's my man" is because she's seriously infatuated with Legion, or possibly being subtly mind controlled (they're dressing alike in the first half of last week's episode). As we get later into the episode, her speech and body language changes a lot to show she's kind of snapped out of whatever voodoo got a hold of her earlier.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Getting laid after a dry spell makes people do some crazy things

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, she's like a 20-something incel virgin

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I watched the available 5 episodes on Hulu last night. I knew nothing about this show other than "Marvel" and I am so happy with it. I started reading this thread after episode 4 and it was amazing to watch the collective thread evolve as the show goes on. The ending for Episode 5 though, the hell? When does Hulu usually get shows that air On cable? Will it be at the same time as the broadcast or when the broadcast ends? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Hulu gets some shows while the season airs because they are owned by some of the same owners who own cable/network outlets. In contrast, Netflix is its own venture and giving them shows as-they-air would probably create competition for ABC or Fox's lovely streaming services.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Renewed for a second season, cool
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/842075351077531661

Max
Nov 30, 2002

El Jebus posted:

I watched the available 5 episodes on Hulu last night. I knew nothing about this show other than "Marvel" and I am so happy with it. I started reading this thread after episode 4 and it was amazing to watch the collective thread evolve as the show goes on. The ending for Episode 5 though, the hell? When does Hulu usually get shows that air On cable? Will it be at the same time as the broadcast or when the broadcast ends? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

I was totally expecting something like that ending to pop up eventually. There is a super quick flash in the pilot when Syd is reaching to lift David out of the pool, and suddenly everyone is in Clockworks clothes again.

Part of me feels like this is some weird interference on Oliver's part, given how mod the aesthetic of that environment looks compared to every other location on the show.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Jay from Jay and Miles Explain the X-Men was saying that the show will most likely end in the destruction of the world. He hasn't actually watched it yet, but is guessing based on who's writing it. Makes a lot of sense, sorta seems like an inevitability with uncontrolled unlimited power.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Max posted:

I was totally expecting something like that ending to pop up eventually. There is a super quick flash in the pilot when Syd is reaching to lift David out of the pool, and suddenly everyone is in Clockworks clothes again.

Part of me feels like this is some weird interference on Oliver's part, given how mod the aesthetic of that environment looks compared to every other location on the show.

I was thinking it was David trying to protect Syd and moving to a new plane/reality/whatever in an attempt to giv Syd more time and let them figure out how to fight back inside his own mind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'll find it when I get home, but it was definitely something that was hinted at way earlier.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

El Jebus posted:

I was thinking it was David trying to protect Syd and moving to a new plane/reality/whatever in an attempt to giv Syd more time and let them figure out how to fight back inside his own mind.

Reading this and what you quoted made me realize I really have no room in my brain for fictional character names. This is like Game of Thrones all over again for me where I could only remember some nicknames.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So...what exactly are Walter's powers? Is he a teleporter? When one of the mutants with the resistance is shooting at him, he doesn't seem to be concerned about bullets at all. He also seems to take the place of the Force Push mutant in last week's episode in a bit of static.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

notthegoatseguy posted:

So...what exactly are Walter's powers? Is he a teleporter? When one of the mutants with the resistance is shooting at him, he doesn't seem to be concerned about bullets at all. He also seems to take the place of the Force Push mutant in last week's episode in a bit of static.

Force Push / Door Flinger / Rudy is shown going upstairs and wandering off away from the room Lenny's in. Cary pushes in the door with Ptolemy and Melanie on edge, then they chat, and leave the door open for Walter to wander in at his leisure, he takes on Rudy's appearance before going into the room with Lenny. Walter's able to project an image of someone else, did the same thing with doctor in a previous episode, he's just mimicking Rudy because he wasn't in the room.

We watched episode 5 again last night. My read of the final scene was that they knew they were in Astral. Walter tries to take a shot at David, Syd screams for them to escape to the White Room, then David's terrified of TYED and can't help Syd escape him. TYED makes up a new reality based on Clockworks, taking the place of the doctor and the only person who has authority, and pulls most of the folks from the house into there. The sister is the only one not there (TYED interrogating her for more adoption details elsewhere?), the old Asian man was added. My speculation is that they're going to have to break out of that simulated reality before they can get Cary's head-thingy on David's real body.

The little bit I noticed on a re-watch is that David actually slows the bullets down before Syd orders him to whisk them away. It's a slo-mo shot, but the first bullet actually slows down relative to the others. Like David was protecting them/himself even before she stepped in.

linus
Jul 3, 2004
King of Man

El Jebus posted:

When does Hulu usually get shows that air On cable? Will it be at the same time as the broadcast or when the broadcast ends? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

The rules vary show to show with Hulu, in the case of Legion the episodes air on FX Wednesday and Hulu puts it up the following Sunday.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

linus posted:

The rules vary show to show with Hulu, in the case of Legion the episodes air on FX Wednesday and Hulu puts it up the following Sunday.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Force Push / Door Flinger / Rudy is shown going upstairs and wandering off away from the room Lenny's in. Cary pushes in the door with Ptolemy and Melanie on edge, then they chat, and leave the door open for Walter to wander in at his leisure, he takes on Rudy's appearance before going into the room with Lenny. Walter's able to project an image of someone else, did the same thing with doctor in a previous episode, he's just mimicking Rudy because he wasn't in the room.

That makes a bit more sense. I just re-watched last week's episode last night but maybe I need to watch Walter's scenes again.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

El Jebus posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

The usual rule is that the current season doesn't drop on Hulu until at least a year after it concludes; maybe longer, if they want to hold it until just before the next season starts up.

My guess? The Legion premiere, according to Deadline Hollywood, actually drew similar numbers to the premiere of The Bastard Executioner of all shows, which is NOT the kind of comparison you ever want to make when you're talking about the big expensive Marvel-branded show you're airing. Those numbers have been shrinking ever since. The difference is that the critics actually adore Legion, and the suits love it too -- or at the very least, love Noah Hawley and/or Marvel.

So, how do you bring more viewers to a heavily-serialized TV show that critics really loving love? Simple: Make it easier to catch up on. Put that poo poo up on Hulu immediately, with just enough of a delay to incentivize watching it when it airs. FX must have really liked what it saw in the Hulu numbers because the renewal announcement came like a week after those episodes went up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

El Jebus posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.
You can buy each episode on Amazon on the Thursday after it airs, if you're willing to shell out $2/3.