Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

current AoS artwork honestly looks amateur deviantart level bad

It's really awful. I wish they'd just have Dainton/Kopinski/Gallagher do all the big pictures. 6th edition was really good for this. If it really is true that they aren't allowed to depict stuff that doesn't have a model associated, that instantly sucks the soul out of everything.

They do still have some of their good guys at work, though (I think this is Gallagher):

And the Guilliman book had some good ones:

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Welcome back to an unceasing, screaming nightmare the hobby! Mechanicum are loving sweet, they're what dragged me back kicking and screaming as well.

First piece of advice I can give you is to grab the first Gathering Storm book, Fall of Cadia. It has rules to allow you to run Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii and Imperial Knights as one army without resorting to silly detatchment shenanigans. Also comes with the rules for their only special character so far, Belisarius Cawl, who is pretty awesome.

Mechanicum as a whole are a very shooty faction, with decent guns and buckets of special rules. Said special rules are the backbone of your army, Canticles of the Omnissiah for Cult units and Doctrina Imperitives for Skitarii. Never forget these when you're playing, more often than not they're gonna give you the extra edge you need to win. Fire off a BS Doctrina and watch your Rangers out-gunline the Tau, play the Shroudpsalm Canaticle and laugh as your robots shrug off anything short of a D weapon.

While the Mechanicum are shooty, they can hold their own in assault. Ruststalkers, Infiltrators and Dragoons are pretty solid on the charge, especially when you buff them up with Canticles/Doctrinas. Avoid Electo-Priests, they're not terrible but they do way too little for their cost.

Give the formations in each book a good read through and consideration, the Mechanicum's are generally pretty good and not a large bother to build either. The most powerful/popular formation, War Convocation, does require you to build your forces in a very specific way, though the results are pretty devastating on the table-top. For now though, grab yourself another set of Rangers/Vanguards and play a couple of small games to get used to how they work on the tabletop.

Thanks!

It's a little strange that Skitaari and Cult Mechanicus are separate armies, but I suppose their formations tend to Intertwine the two. My next big purchase is probably going to be another unit of Skitaari troops, the CM robot weapons servitor guys that I think are troops and the CM book.

Formations are kind of a double edged sword to me. On the one hand, they're really cool and let you combine lots of stuff in fluffy ways (like Skitaari and AdMech robots), but on the other a lot of armies seem to have a formation that just stands out as the absolute best that everyone has to play (Free transports in Battle Companies). One of the reasons I'm not to keen on jumping back in with my huge guard collection is that they don't seem to have any worthwhile formations and don't combine with other imperial factions in terribly interesting ways.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Hello thread! I just got back into 40k after three years away. The actual advances to the plot are really cool and we're a big contributor to getting me back. I played IG since I was a 12 year old, and it's gotten a little stale. I pulled out the half of a marine army I got from a guy who was leaving the hobby, but my enthusiasm waned a little bit when I realized that everyone just runs the same Battle Company formation (or it's even better dark angels equivalent). Thankfully though, after three hours of conversation, a sales guy at Huzzah hobbies was able to point me towards the mechanicum! They look really cool, and like they would play really *different*, which is exactly what I wanted. I bought the start collecting Skitaari box set, which actually was a good deal! I love the aesthetics of the AdMech guys, but I don't actually know too much about them... any advice for a guy who has a solid foundation on basic 40k rules but who has never, ever played with the newer factions before?

Oh, and to reference the above post, I just bought some of the newer books and the art and fluff are definitely worse. A lot of the art looks like CGI and some of the fluff in the Fall of Cadia book read like fanfiction.

As someone who is also dipping back in to the hobby I've been annoyed by the art a bit as well. I've seen someone suggesting that they're trying to show less stuff that can't be directly purchased as a model and that seems like the case. Which is kind of to the detriment of the setting/atmosphere. The whole 40k universe is filled with crazy/mysterious/poo poo that barely anyone understands/has ever seen and I feel like the attachment to 'A digi-painting of a squad in the exact poses of their models, but with their guns firing!' is kinda sucking that feeling out. This may be entirely my own opinion but the amount and variety of art in older codices was much better at giving you the 'feel' of a faction, so that you could make your army something more of your own vision and have inspiration for conversions etc.

Obviously there's nothing stopping you doing this but codices like Cult Mechanicus are bad at conveying the vastness of the setting and the variety of the faction that comes hand in hand with that. As it is it looks like every cult army everywhere contains the exact same 6 types of units that galaxy-wide (aside from paint) look exactly the same. It less wants you to make your vision of the army and more GW's vision of the army but customised a bit.

I guess it's not helped that so many character models are monopose 'standing on a plinth or something' instead of proper kits like the SM commander or Chaos terminator lord.

We're a long way from deodorant-stick land-speeders.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Because it's a fake. Someone already posted where all the parts are from.

Again, this doesn't really prove anything these days, as the kitbashing may have happended in GW's 3D editor while building the official model. I know a guy who has most of the bits, and he thinks they are the wrong scale to fit together as in the image. Which points to this being a lazy, official GW product.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HardCoil posted:

Again, this doesn't really prove anything these days, as the kitbashing may have happended in GW's 3D editor while building the official model. I know a guy who has most of the bits, and he thinks they are the wrong scale to fit together as in the image. Which points to this being a lazy, official GW product.

This I could believe.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is that why the art is bland? It's basically just an in book advertisement for the model line?

I got into 40k years ago when the eye of terror campaign book came out. I was raised on the 3rd ed codexes, the campaign books and necromunda, which all had tons of stuff depicted that had no direct tabletop equivalent. The art and writing on those books did such an amazing job of conveying the grit and the emotion of the setting to the reader. Now, even the chaos books seem... antiseptic? Sanitized?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a good way to put it. GW believes it is a model company first and foremost, so the rules and books are vehicles for selling you additional models. I started playing around 3rd edition as well and a lot of that grittiness has been washed away. Personally, the art is largely lower quality, and in general 40k has been turned more into a game appealing to young gamers. The heresy is where that grittiness you're familiar with lives on, but it's definitely appealing to older gamers. The 30k books are like history encyclopedias and less like heavy metal influenced pulp comics.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is that why the art is bland? It's basically just an in book advertisement for the model line?

I got into 40k years ago when the eye of terror campaign book came out. I was raised on the 3rd ed codexes, the campaign books and necromunda, which all had tons of stuff depicted that had no direct tabletop equivalent. The art and writing on those books did such an amazing job of conveying the grit and the emotion of the setting to the reader. Now, even the chaos books seem... antiseptic? Sanitized?

I got in after winning the 3rd ed starter box and some tanks in a competition in the Warhammer comic and my copy of the rulebook is battered to hell from me endlessly turning through it absorbing the art. The new direction is a bit lame for this.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Since getting back into 40k last month, my collection has gone from "i'm going to just get a small force to play kill team with" to "I have so much stuff to assemble and paint it's overwhelming."

That didn't take very long.

Also, I very quickly outgrew my Feldherr 60 miniature case. Time to upgrade. The general recommendation is KR, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

heavy metal influenced pulp comics.
That's basically Warhammer.txt

TsarZiedonis posted:

Yeah, the general shift has been towards art based on the models as opposed to vice versa. Some of the art in recent books was literally traced over photos of models which bummed me out. Some art is still great but some resembles the art on a He-Man box.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I definitely miss the old artwork. It was gritty and fun, but also didn't 100% take itself seriously so you would have things that were ridiculously massive in scale.

Really though, I wish that GW's campaign book writing was better. Even reading through something as pivotal as Cadia being destroyed was a slog compared to the actually interesting campaign books that Forgeworld puts out.

Also, I hate the "here's a template that we put solid colors into" stuff that they now do in codex especially. (As opposed to the old method of painted minis, or FW's really nice color plates) I mean, it isnt as bad as the "how to draw anime" drawings of different cabals for the Dark Eldar in the 6th edition rulebook, but it's still quite bad.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd love to see GW crib FW's colour plates. They can't be that hard to do surely? Couple of gradients on a marine template plus some dirtying up. Not hard to do for a professional company anyway.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Does the devastator box come with enough backpacks and arms for all the weapons so i just need legs and torsos, or do I need to buy more?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

chutche2 posted:

Does the devastator box come with enough backpacks and arms for all the weapons so i just need legs and torsos, or do I need to buy more?

You just need more bodies. Any regular space marine will do. I get that stuff on HobbyTitan when it's available for an okay price. Of something is out of stock, get the email alert and be ready to get as much as you need.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Star Man posted:

You just need more bodies. Any regular space marine will do. I get that stuff on HobbyTitan when it's available for an okay price. Of something is out of stock, get the email alert and be ready to get as much as you need.

poo poo's so cheap that I'll probably just snag an extra BaC sprue and give them the heavy weapons, and have a few more bolter marines left over. A BaC sprue on ebay is like $3 more than 10 legs are on hobby titan.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

I'd love to see GW crib FW's colour plates. They can't be that hard to do surely? Couple of gradients on a marine template plus some dirtying up. Not hard to do for a professional company anyway.

Thing is, the old Index Astartes articles had great lineart Marine templates that they'd draw over for various chapters and stuff, and they looked great:

Why they went to the lazy as hell Illustrator gradient-fill art is beyond me:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Probably because it was much cheaper :(

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
GW making new art that only includes models you can purchase seems self-defeating as gently caress. Part of the whole appeal of playing an army in art you appreciated is how cool it is to be taking part in some larger action; the background details matter all the more when you aren't certain what they are, or if you know they don't have models. It contributes a sort of fun mystery to the setting via the art, like how kids started rumors about punching your opponent into the trees as a stage fatality in Mortal Kombat II just because they looked interactive and interesting. See that fuckhuge robot? Forge World may make it later! What about those mutants screaming? Try to make Chaos Cultist models that match them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

current AoS artwork honestly looks amateur deviantart level bad

drat, that looks like Warmachine art

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Guy Goodbody posted:

drat, that looks like Warmachine art

No, warmachine art is better than this.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It looks like clipart. Or like the little animations I used to make in middle school PowerPoint slides.

What happened to all the really cool black and white shaded scenes?

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 13, 2017

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Everyone's there and making big battle faces but they don't actually look like they're fighting each other.

Where's the good poo poo GW?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

GW making new art that only includes models you can purchase seems self-defeating as gently caress. Part of the whole appeal of playing an army in art you appreciated is how cool it is to be taking part in some larger action; the background details matter all the more when you aren't certain what they are, or if you know they don't have models. It contributes a sort of fun mystery to the setting via the art, like how kids started rumors about punching your opponent into the trees as a stage fatality in Mortal Kombat II just because they looked interactive and interesting. See that fuckhuge robot? Forge World may make it later! What about those mutants screaming? Try to make Chaos Cultist models that match them.

TsarZiedonis posted:

What happened to all the really cool black and white shaded scenes?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

The heresy is where that grittiness you're familiar with lives on, but it's definitely appealing to older gamers. The 30k books are like history encyclopedias and less like heavy metal influenced pulp comics.

:raise:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
MARINES LOL

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

In GW's defense(ugh :vomarine: ), British copyright & IP law is fairly retarded.

edit: Defense =/= offense wtf brain.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Leaked info on the Custodes Codex. (Custodex?)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Technowolf posted:

Leaked info on the Custodes Codex. (Custodex?)

At least they look better than sigmarines.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Marines eunt domus?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
You know how Mantic makes a lot of sick stuff that can be converted to Imperial or Chaos poo poo?

How about Dark Eldar or Tyranid alternative figures? I have a friend that plays both and he's looking for some cool stuff.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unless it can have huge double EEs on the front, you're not really going to find a lot of 3rd party D/Eldar models out there :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Post the tittynids

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mostly finished my 6 Kataphron Destroyers. Gotta touch up some stuff (dry brush the mud on the tracks, drill the heavy stubber barrel.)

I'm pretty happy with them. I was mostly going for speed.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 14, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Guy Goodbody posted:

Post the tittynids

:nyoron:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

You know how Mantic makes a lot of sick stuff that can be converted to Imperial or Chaos poo poo?

How about Dark Eldar or Tyranid alternative figures? I have a friend that plays both and he's looking for some cool stuff.

Raging Heroes had some Dark Eldar like models on their recent kickstarter, but they're pretty risque.

They should hit their website sometime for non-kickstarter purchases.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

LingcodKilla posted:

At least they look better than sigmarines.

Just check out the forge world stuff they've got. Beats a monopose contemptor...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

SRM posted:

Thing is, the old Index Astartes articles had great lineart Marine templates that they'd draw over for various chapters and stuff, and they looked great:

Ffffffff~ these are so good. I'm on a Deathwatch kick right now and those two bros at the bottom are awesome.

Also that along Fang :allears:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

I think the line art in the seventh edition codex is just fine. But that color job...yeesh.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

TsarZiedonis posted:

Yes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
loving forums

• Locked thread