Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm sure Forest Shadow would be very popular among... a certain subset of the fanbase.

What? Environmentalists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, let's go with that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Cangelosi posted:

What? Environmentalists?

Furries.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the fox has a much more interesting idea of "right action" than has really shown up in the game to date. Got that subtle plan to save the forest, but circumstances are dire enough to point at some adventurer and say "go punch it I guess".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly, I'd support you doing some save editing if it meant you got to show off more styles. :v:

Really, I think that's the best way to go about it. I don't think anyone's going to be too upset if you use save editing to essentially reassign skillpoints. Count how many points you have in Legendary Strike and add that many points to leaping tiger. or whatever.

or just give yourself ten billion skillpoints, who cares. Show off all those transform styles nobody uses! have points for the style people put in spoiler tags because of how memorable it is when you get it! so many possibilities.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 18: Tell your children not to walk my way

Last time, we visited the Forest Shadow in heaven and discovered that she was in fact not the cause of the corruption in the Great Southern Forest. Instead, the innfolk who seemed so trustworthy shockingly turned out to be cannibal monsters serving a demon (and the Forest Shadow's ancient nemesis) known as the Mother, who had been sealed away by the Forest Shadow ages ago but recently woke up because all the ghosts in the woods were making a racket. Now, our job is to destroy the Mother once and for all.

The Mother is supposed to be somewhere in the caves beneath the Pilgrim's Rest Inn, so that's where we're starting off today.

VIDEO: The Cannibals

You fool! You do not know our true nature! You know nothing of the power we possess! Look upon us now, and see your doom!

Obviously, the cannibals don't appreciate us joining forces with the Forest Shadow all that much.

Ew.

Ewww. :gonk: As I briefly mentioned in the last update, we could've had this reveal the very first time we visited the inn if we'd spent some time talking to Hou the cook (who eventually says you should ask the innkeeper about the Mother, or something similar to that), but I wanted to keep their true form under wraps until after we talk to the Forest Shadow.

The Black Whirlwind clearly wasn't listening when the Forest Shadow mentioned the innfolk being inhuman monsters concealing themselves with magic. Still, he's always up for a bit of violence.

Rend her flesh! Her screams should echo in the town below!

Well, we have no intention of becoming the main course for tonight's dinner, so let's murder all of these abominations. I kept this shot in because it looks like the Keeper is doing a dance or practicing his soccer kicks.

We bought the Leaping Tiger style from Zin Bu (our newest party member/mobile store) at the end of the last update, and since the basic cannibal enemies are extremely weak I figured I could do some damage with our new Wolverine claws (which, according to the style's description, you actually don't sprout -- you just attack so fast somehow that it looks like you do... despite clearly having the claws while not attacking) despite the lack of upgrades. Turns out it didn't really work that way and we're barely hurting them (well, the fact I wasn't hitting anything didn't help matters). Oh well, that'll be fixed soon enough.

The cannibals come in numbers, but they're so weak that we can take out several of them by just waving our sword around a bit. The only slightly threatening foe in this fight is the Keeper, as he's capable of using Ice Shard magic, but he's still not much of a problem.

When we've slaughtered the initial group of cannibals, more pour in from outside and from the back.

They're still a bunch of weak trash enemies, so this second wave is more a waste of time than anything else.

Thank you for your great kindness in rescuing me. Now that these beasts are dead, I can finally talk to you. My name is Henpecked Hou, and before you ask, I'm not one of those monsters. They kept me prisoner so that I could "seem normal" to the customers.

My wife is...unique. To say that she is as enduring as the Wall itself is to do a disservice to her persistence. I could make similar comparisons between the force of her will and the Imperial Army. but I think you have the picture.

If you ask why Hou doesn't leave her, he says something to the effect of "oh god don't say that kind of thing, she might hear you :stonk:" Hou has some issues.

That's beside the point for now. I must thank you, as I clearly owe you my life. These cannibals were getting desperate enough to cook even someone as ropy as me. The last thing I needed was to be dragged into the caves below.

Why did they keep you around? What were they planning?

They spoke often about the Mother, in the caves nearby, They used this inn as a base and a way to lure people to increase their food stocks and swell their ranks. What they failed to realize is that the forest is polluted with ghosts. No travelers means no food, whether people think this place is normal or not. Maybe they had some plan around that, but I doubt it. They are not forward thinkers, these beasts. How it all ties together, I'm not exactly sure.

We can ask about the caves and the Mother, but it's nothing the Forest Shadow didn't already tell us so let's just get on with it.

I do know that they were terrified of something called the Forest Shadow. I'm willing to bet that would be a good place to start.

Way ahead of you. This dialog with Hou doesn't seem to account for the fact we already visited the Forest Shadow and know all about the cannibals.

But, you'd be surprised what tricks an old bun master might know. Have you ever heard of Drunken Master style?

:getin:

Teaching is all I can do. As I said, fame, fortune, and a *wife*. I discovered fairly early on that she had... opinions. Most of them regarding alcohol, and my regular consumption of it.

Why would someone marry a Drunken Master... err, master and then go "welp, I'm gonna forbid this guy from drinking alcohol"? Arranged marriage, I suppose.

Sure, let's get wasted right before we go fight an ancient demon. Can't see any downside to that plan.

The effect wears off quickly, but I will make sure you don't run out of wine, as long as you keep the enemies off of me. Now... watch my technique.

Drunken Master is Henpecked Hou's support ability. As we've gathered from his dialog, that is all he can do because he's no longer able/allowed to fight. The style works like improvised weapons (haven't seen those since the teahouse, I think) in that you have to pick up these bottles to initiate it, and you can only use Drunken Master for a limited time before you need to pick up more bottles (much like the improvised weapons will break after enough strikes).

Drunken Master does more damage than regular martial styles, but the main caveat (along with the whole thing about having to pick up Hou's wine bottles to keep going) is that it can't be upgraded at all and is therefore outclassed in no time.

It's also quite slow, so you'll occasionally take a couple of hits as you try to get your drunken kung-fu combo going.

I'm going to be perfectly honest here and tell you that this is going to be the only time I will be using Drunken Master on this playthrough. It's fun to mess around with, but since you need Hou around at all times to use it and it can't be upgraded, it's not really the most viable fighting style.

Your job isn't done, though. There are still more cannibals in the hill. The hill heaved a short while ago and dislodged a panel in the kitchen wall. These creatures seemed to think it was a new way into the caves below. If you truly want to finish this, you must deal with the Mother. The cannibals talked about her often. She's down there somewhere, corrupting everyone who gets close.

Well, it must be safer than this place! Good luck. You'll need it, I'm afraid.

This is obviously another path into the caves, but we can't do anything to remove those planks so we'll have to take the back door.

Before we do, let's just grab this excellent gem (Mind +12! :vince:) Ultimate gems like this one (there are corresponding Warrior and Monk gems as well, for Body and Spirit respectively) are exclusive to the Special Edition, the console version only went up to Superior (+6) for the Warrior and Monk gems and Flawless (+10) for the Scholar gem. Getting an Ultimate gem this early on is quite insane, as even the Flawless and Superior ones tend to be late-game items. Also, I'm pretty sure this gem wasn't here on our first visit to the inn, as I thought I checked everything pretty thoroughly.

Holy poo poo look at all that focus

Before we go down the elevator, we can take the left to get to the roof, but there doesn't seem to be anything up there.

So, let's just descend into the cannibal-infested caves.

I would assume there is a good chance for a fight, considering we have a large group of cannibals just sitting around right ahead of us.

Love what they've done with the place.

This poor sap seems to be in the process of turning into one of the cannibal folk. I'm not certain how that process actually works, but magic probably has something to do with it.

The health inspector. Sorry, I'm going to have to shut you guys down. I'm sure you understand. This establishment of yours breaks at least 144 different regulations, and that's before we account for the "horrible cannibal abominations" factor.

SHUT IT DOWN.

Once again, a fairly straightforward fight. The basic cannibals are still massively weak against any reasonably upgraded style, and the Butcher is just another one of the magic-using cannibals like the Keeper.

I think the small ones use the same animations as the rat demons. They're definitely similar in shape and size.

After we've wiped the floor with all the cannibals, the prisoner staggers towards us.

They...ungh...they‘re capturing people, changing some and eating the rest. By the spirits, you have to help me!

How do I help you?

There's no way to stop... I don't want to turn.... Kill me!

If you don't kill him, he... well, obviously he turns into a cannibal and you must fight him.

The cutscene fades to black before you kill him so you don't see what happens, but judging from the sound you break his neck. Speaking of people who break necks, I think the Black Whirlwind has spent enough time following us for now so let's switch him out.

Sky hasn't had the chance to shine yet, so we'll fix that. His support skill recovers your focus, which naturally comes in rather handy for those of us who use weapon styles a lot.

As we head deeper into the caves, we find another magic-using cannibal. For some reason, he has rat demons caged up and decides to unleash them on us when we approach.

I, uh, may have forgotten to set Sky's tactic to support at first. At any rate, these are just rat demons and we can handle those just fine.

Well, this looks dangerous.

The stone bridge is actually completely safe to cross, we don't get attacked until we reach the other side.

There's a lot of the little guys down here, although since they are so weak they are more of a nuisance than anything. They are also just as vulnerable to harmonic combos as any common human enemy, but I didn't get around to using one against them here. The magic-using cannibals are immune to harmonic combos, but they don't show up that often and I think we already killed all of them anyway.

I figured I'd help the little fellas prepare dinner for tonight. Fried cannibal should be fine as far as they're concerned, right?

The dialog box shows up like that for whatever reason. Black Whirlwind's line was also on screen for about half a second, so something clearly bugged out.

Oh no you don't! We'll all go together. Besides, I need you to keep the wine flowing. I'm always more dangerous when I'm drunk.

Whirlwind and Hou seem like they'd make a good team.

I like that little jerk just standing back there and taunting us.

This should be fun. If there's enough of the little guys down there, this could be better than that time I stormed the Fortress of Seven Gates by myself!

So, now we have Whirlwind and Hou both following us, while Sky stays behind to watch our back. Well, I guess we got to show him off for almost a couple of minutes. We can't change companions at this point.

This tunnel is narrow and scary enough to probably lead to the Mother's lair. Den. Whatever these guys call it.

Sending the Black Whirlwind in first is a sound strategy, I think. If there's a giant horde of cannibals, he'll whack the poo poo out of them with his axes, and if something there tries to devour us we're at least making sure we're not the first ones to get eaten. Of course, I don't think eating Whirlwind would be very healthy for the cannibals.

Okay then, let's see. A large cavern with some pillars and a strange-looking rock in the middle. No sign of cannibals.

Oh. Well, that's probably bad. The fact the rock obviously had a foot might have been a clue something wasn't quite right.

*THUMP*

The Mother, we presume?

VIDEO: The Mother

The Mother takes a swing at Whirlwind, but Wu manages to tackle him out of the way which must not have been an easy task. That probably feels a lot like tackling a very drunk elephant demon.

Blarrrrggghhhhhh!

:stare:

More of the little guys emerge from the tunnel behind Hou, which isn't really something our bun master needed at the moment. What with the giant demon roaring in his face, after all.

Fortunately, Whirlwind is back up and ready to roll.

:stonk:

With the Black Whirlwind and Henpecked Hou currently busy with the little fellas, Wu's job is to fight the giant demon. This is turning out to be one lousy day at the office.

*SMASH*

*thunk*

It may not be obvious from the screenshot, but the Mother actually gets hit by one of the falling rocks here.

Blarg?

I like how you can see the pillars are clearly built of smaller chunks. It should also be clear what our next course of action is.

Regardless of what Hou says, we're not supposed to headbutt her. The Mother is in fact immune to all our attacks, so trying to fight her is completely useless. Instead of wasting our time on fighting, we're supposed to smash these load-bearing pillars.

Or just lure the Mother to smash them for us. That works just as well.

I think she broke that one by throwing up on it. :gonk:

One pillar down, two to go.

That's two down. Check out Wu's sweet dodge moves as well. :smug:

Cannibals keep showing up during the fight to slow us down, but it's too late for this guy.

It's also too late for the Mother. Of course, the fact this whole cave is collapsing means we should probably get a move on.

:gonk:

Fortunately, there is a convenient way out.

Well, we still need to dodge a ton of debris. If this was a modern game, the escape here would probably be a gameplay setpiece, but as it is we just have a cutscene to watch.

That's a face only a mother could... oh, never mind.

Eventually, we find ourselves back in the forest. I always thought we came out through that tunnel next to the inn (the one that was blocked by the flimsy-looking planks earlier), but apparently we're in another part of the woods.

The Forest Shadow shows up to congratulate us on a job well done and thank us for finally destroying her old nemesis.

Ha! I'd have traded your life for the death of that thing as well. It's a fair trade.

Love you too, Whirlwind.

I had not thought to drop a mountain on my ancient foe, but your kind is always so resourceful.

Yeah, we totally planned to do that.

With the Mother gone, the forest will recover. I have already spoken to Lord Yun, and he is aware of what you have done for me. I hope, for us all, that you can learn the fate of the Water Dragon. Until she returns to her home, things will only get worse. We will not meet again mortal. This forest will need my attention in the months to come, and so I will close the portal in the temple. Farewell, young Spirit Monk.

Bye!

On the upside, these rocks are remarkably good at dealing with cannibals. I think they're pretty much eliminated. The inn's certainly quiet.

You should probably go down to his camp and check with Lord Yun; he'll likely want to reward you. The bun man and I'll make our way back to Tien's Landing. If you need my axes or... whatever he does, just call.

Our reward for destroying the cannibals is the Brilliant Gem of Balance, which adds +4 to all attributes. +4 might seem a bit quaint compared to the +12 Mind bonus from the Ultimate Scholar Gem, but it's still nothing to sneeze at.

Time to head back to Lord Yun, then. Now we can finally get that wind map and leave Tien's Landing, at least after we've finished the few sidequests we still have going on (because I'm an idiot and loaded the wrong save earlier :eng99:)

But of course, there is still one major loose end to wrap up.

I am tired of seeing our carefully laid plans fall to your thuggish fists. The operations in the ruins and Gao's factory were my responsibility. Their destruction is my shame.

Try? You amuse me, whelp. You must think yourself skilled beyond measure. Youth's illusions are often the most persuasive. I am expected to deliver this worthless fragment of a Spirit Monk amulet to our fortress, but that won't counter my disgrace for what you did here.

Well, I'm glad he's carrying the amulet piece with him. That saves us a lot of trouble.

Is that what he calls himself now? Hardly an honest representation of the blood he spilled. It doesn't matter. No matter your allies, I cannot let you survive. Enough talk. I will delay your death no longer! May your fall sate the anger of Death's Hand, will of the Emperor!

VIDEO: Boss: Inquisitor Lim

I'm afraid Death's Hand is going to have to be disappointed. Anyway, Inquisitor Lim is the final boss of Chapter 2, and if you leave the pirate lair for last you actually have to fight both him and Gao the Greater at the same time. Inquisitor Lim fights with the Viper and Stone Immortal styles, even though the latter should only be able to be learned and effectively used by someone who follows the Open Palm philosophy. Lim most certainly doesn't fit the bill. Viper can poison you, which can be a bit of a hassle.

Let's just get rid of Lim's backup here, there's a bit too many fireballs flying around for my liking.

Good lord, that animation is over the top. Excuse me, Mr. Lotus Assassin, could you maybe go spray all that blood elsewhere so it doesn't block my view of the other enemies?

Camera! :argh:

Stone Immortal area spam is just as annoying as it is when you're fighting an elephant demon. If you as much as touch the edge of those rocks, you fall on your rear end.

Still, eventually we do manage to close in on Inquisitor Lim, and since we leveled up after the last quest we now have some skill points in Leaping Tiger. Not many, but enough to do at least a bit of damage especially with chi strikes active. Leaping Tiger's range doesn't seem great at first, but then you realize that the third attack of the basic combo is a front flip strike that lets you close the distance quite efficiently. When you actually do get close, spamming the basic Leaping Tiger combo slices up most opponents with minimal effort.

I switched to the sword because I wanted to cut Lim's stupid smug head off, but sadly it remained attached.

Hello, what have we here?

Why, that is the amulet fragment Inquisitor Lim dropped. Now it's ours, as it was always meant to be.

Getting this piece of the amulet increases our gem slots by two, which is obviously a very useful upgrade and lets us boost our attributes and skills even further. We also pick up two new gems: a Superior Monk Gem (Spirit +6) and another Bronze Tongue gem (Charm, Intuition and Intimidation +4).

A SHORT TRIP LATER

The Forest Shadow herself appeared here in this camp while the earth shook. She explained what was happening on my lands. She explained what happened in the inn. Nasty business that. Glad you had the skills to deal with that... Mother, was it?

Here is the wind map you wanted. The copy is near perfect, and I assure you that the Assassins will never know you have it.

What will you do now?

We will stay on here for a while. These trees will need tending. Besides, I think I have some old family business to catch up on. Old alliances to re-forge, as it were.

Lord Yun was apparently never that much into the whole Forest Shadow ritual thing, at least compared to his father. Now, it seems, he's going to start taking that stuff more seriously.

While it seems that you've solved the problem with the forest, that doesn't mean the ghosts will simply up and leave. If we're lucky, then you've stopped things from getting worse, and time will provide the cure.

I think it's time I left.

Indeed, it is. You have my deepest gratitude. I had virtually given up hope, and you appeared like a gift from the heavens. Farewell. That map will carry you safely if you can find a flyer with the range. I wish you all the best of luck.

Of course, we've got the flyer business well and truly covered.

Let's get back to the camp at Tien's Landing. With the Dragonfly, we can continue on to the Imperial City and resume the search for your master.

Yes, we'll do that in a minute. First of all, though, let's just finish those side missions I talked about.

First of all, Yifong and Fuyao have made it safely back to Tien's Landing.

More importantly, you destroyed the pirates who plagued Minister Sheng's administration of this town. Here is your reward.

Thank you once again! May fortune smile upon you for your good deeds.

We shall hope.

Next up, we're learning Stone Immortal. It would've come in handy against all those Lost Spirits in the forest, but at least we're getting it now.

I seek your training, Mistress Vo.

Yes, I know. It is good that you have come to me. You deserve to learn to control the earth, but you must also learn that the stone can never truly be controlled.

Oh, lovely. We did defeat a bunch of enemies who were using Stone Immortal already, so this shouldn't pose too much of a problem at this point.

Good. This will not be an easy test, but I suspect you are ready for it.

The basic attack for Stone Immortal is... well, essentially just throwing rocks at your opponent. Stone Immortal is more powerful than either one of the starting magic styles you learn in the Spirit Cave, but I just find the visual aspect of it a little bit underwhelming.

Mistress Vo is quickly defeated.

You understand your place, and yet you are not afraid to use your strength when it is required. That will serve you well in this lifetime, and...

Careful.

As I said. That will serve you well.

Don't mind me. I was just thinking out loud. Students of your caliber are rare.

If you're finished with this little charade of a test, could you please train the girl, Vo? Further coddling will only weaken her.

Don't mind him. Men become temperamental at his age. Here, let me teach you to coax the earth to do your bidding. Only your connection to the world and your understanding of your place will convince them.

Oh. That was a lot simpler than I thought.

It was an honor to teach what I could. I am not the instructor Master Jian was, but his lessons would not have suited your temperament.

I am just Jian the Iron Fist. My best pupil turned away from my instructions, after all.

Remember to remain true to the high path. The earth only serves those who know their place among all things.

I still want to know how Inquisitor Lim was able to use this style.

You won't last that long. Our paths will cross, and you'll learn that this old tiger still has all his teeth.

You have made that proclamation every year for two decades. Those teeth must be frightfully long by now. How ever do you open your mouth anymore? Until next year, you old goat.

Now that we have learned Stone Immortal, we're nearly done here. Just gotta go talk to one more old friend.

I dropped you off at the pirate camp, you killed some pirates, I got drunk, you killed more pirates, and I took a nap! We are an unstoppable team, my friend! Do you know that all of this adventuring and such has shamed me? I find myself dwelling on memories of my youth. I was a capable man once. I've lost so much. I've wasted so much.

We can help Ru get his self-esteem back. Or we can just tell him to keep drinking, because... I don't know, really. That's supposed to be the Closed Fist choice, but what's the point?

Then she'd make me get up before midday. I'd pole the barge and ride the river all day, then I'd come home to a house full of kids. And a wife... probably with a big dinner on the stove...

[Success] I... I suppose that's true. I did get you up the river when nobody else could... when nobody else dared! If I can take on the pirates, surely I can give up the wine! Thank you, my friend! I am going to get sober, find some poor unfortunate woman, and make her my wife! And it's all thanks to you. I owe you more than I can say. Thank you!

I hope things work out for him. That whole speech about finding a wife might seem like Ru could become an option for Ai Ling's matchmaking quest (I seem to remember promising to show off the different options for that quest in a bonus update, I'll get to it soon enough) but he doesn't. Maybe at some point they planned to make him an option once you convince him to stop drinking, but had to cut it out. Who knows.

In any event, we are now done with all the quests in Tien's Landing. Well, all the quests Wu is able to do, anyway. Next time, we'll do something different.

-----

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 14, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Doc Morbid posted:

If you ask why Hou doesn't leave her, he says something to the effect of "oh god don't say that kind of thing, she might hear you :stonk:" Hou has some issues.

Yep. Another day, another stereotype covered, and one that comes up a bit in quite a few cultures: "the man who, rather than (rightfully) being the head of the family, is pushed around by his monstrous wife." People have been laughing at this one for hundreds of years... even though some (me) don't really see what's so funny about unhappy marriages or spousal abuse of any kind. Hope you like a lot of jokes about a husbands wife and her looks/violence/cooking ability/awful relatives, because that's all Hou has going for him in this narrative. A smarter writer might have provided context and development to the relationship to break the stereotype and add some development (like, you know, an actual name for the wife), or use the characters to make some subtle commentary on sexism or spousal abuse or arranged marriages... but no, this is Bioware, and so we must go for cheapness and momentary cleverness to make our customer base nice and unchallenged.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Look at this big dumb pug demon. It just wants to go to the park, but instead you drop rocks on it.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I had always saved the pirates lair for last during the times I played this game, figured that it'd be appropriate enough. I remembered dialogue between Gao and Lim before you fought the both of them. The Inquisitor offered to bring Gao's son back to life with the latter vehemently refusing it. A curious thing in that exchange is that Gao and Lim could've duked it out right on the spot had we not arrived.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I had always saved the pirates lair for last during the times I played this game, figured that it'd be appropriate enough.

Same. Nice to learn something new about the game.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Is it wrong to find the little cannibals kind of cute? They remind me of the sharkticons in the old Transformers cartoons.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

resurgam40 posted:

Yep. Another day, another stereotype covered, and one that comes up a bit in quite a few cultures: "the man who, rather than (rightfully) being the head of the family, is pushed around by his monstrous wife."
If there ever is a sequel, I'm virtually certain that we would meet Hou's wife and she's going to be the nicest, most long-suffering person you've ever met.

Or else Hou's single and just the world's biggest bullshitter.

Angry Salami posted:

Is it wrong to find the little cannibals kind of cute? They remind me of the sharkticons in the old Transformers cartoons.
Not so much cute as funny for me. It kills me how they always talk up their strength and power and then you fight them and they're almost utter pushovers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the whole "GAZE UPON OUR PERFECT FORM" [transforms into a horrible midget] part.

Also, with the whole CELESTIAL BALANCE, doesn't killing the Mother just mean that another evil demon is going to get her job sooner or later? Or is the Celestial Bureaucracy only concerned with STARTING things in balance, and then doesn't give a poo poo if it's disrupted later?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I love the whole "GAZE UPON OUR PERFECT FORM" [transforms into a horrible midget] part.

Also, with the whole CELESTIAL BALANCE, doesn't killing the Mother just mean that another evil demon is going to get her job sooner or later? Or is the Celestial Bureaucracy only concerned with STARTING things in balance, and then doesn't give a poo poo if it's disrupted later?
It seems like something they would do yes. But it'll be a while until the forest is too far over to the good side and they appoint one. They might wait until the water dragon is back on balance first too. Also the paperwork might take even longer than that. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bonus 01: Zither of Discord

Last time, we destroyed the Mother and her cannibal servants, removing the corruption from the Great Southern Forest. That means we're done with Tien's Landing, aside from one last round of camp conversations. Well, actually there is one more thing -- a quest that is unavailable to Open Palm goody two-shoes such as us, but can be shown off thanks to the magic of save editing. Of course, just having Wu do this would be silly, so today's episode has a guest star.

Wei Shen, if you're unaware, is the protagonist of Sleeping Dogs. Wei is an undercover cop with a history of "extreme behavior" (as his HKPD file puts it), which often involves shoving people's faces into cooling fans and the like. I chose to give his name to the Furious Ming character here because I'm a giant nerd. This screenshot was taken long before I recorded the actual update (when I was just testing out the save editor), so Wei's level is lower here than it is in the rest of the update. I think he's actually at level 12 or 13 at this point.

Here's Scholar Six Heavens, the man we need to chat with to start today's quest. He has no time for Open Palm bullshit so Wu wouldn't have much luck talking to him, but Wei should be fine with all his undercover experience. How do you do, fellow Closed Fist follower?

Excellent. Here we go.

I seek the Zither of Discord, an artifact that belonged to Bladed Thesis, the sage who first advanced the Way of the Closed Fist as a philosophy.

This zither is a link to one of history's greatest minds. Find the zither's case and its silk strings. Bring them to me, and we will silence all who refuse to honor my work!

You may remember we picked up both of those items around Tien's Landing, so let's just present them to Six Heavens.

The bridge is missing, as I thought it would be. Since you have proven capable so far, I'd like you to acquire one more part.

Seems easy enough.

If we can recover the last part of this zither, the bridge that would lift the strings off the case, then I will double the silver I was going to give you.

I'll do it.

Good. In his last work, Bladed Thesis wrote of the "final test," and it taking place where "wood met water and rock." The work talks of a test for followers of his philosophies. I suspect the reward is the final piece to his famous Zither of Discord.

From studying the full text, it seems that it would be near a river in the Great Southern Forest. There must be some structure that allowed him to stay there for some time.

What was the ”test" you mentioned?

I expect the test to measure your conviction to the ideals of the Way of the Closed Fist. Bladed Thesis would not let his instrument fall into anyone else's hands.

Can I ask you more details about this Zither of Discord?

As I said, it was an instrument that belonged to Bladed Thesis, the scholar who first advanced the Way of the Closed Fist as a philosophy.

I said "more details."

I thought it would be pointless to ask about the Way of the Closed Fist since we obviously *cough* know all about it, but actually that would've been a good idea. See, Scholar Six Heavens is like a BioWare writer in that he doesn't understand Closed Fist at all. At least not in the way it was originally intended, before it became Literally Kicks Puppies (seriously, that's a thing you can do at full Closed Fist). This may or may not be relevant once we reach that test that was mentioned.

The Either of Discord is as unique as it is ancient, however. It has five strings instead of seven, and each is fashioned from unbreakable silk.

Uh, okay then. Thanks. Let's get out of here.

We're heading right back to the Great Southern Forest.

What did he say? A structure near the river, "Where wood met water and rock?" Well, we're certainly near the river, and I think we might be able to figure out the rest.

That has to be it.

Hm. No ghosts are appearing. That's actually slightly disappointing, as I was hoping to show off some of Wei Shen's kung fu.

That guy was not there the last time we went to the spirit font, so we must be in the right place.

Here's a slightly better shot of your shadow growing these writhing tentacles at full Closed Fist. It's a really cool effect. Actually, have a video:

VIDEO: Shadow tentacles!

(I tried to make a GIF but Gooncam was having some issues with my desktop scaling)

This ghostly fellow is none other than Bladed Thesis himself. We shall see what kind of test he has prepared for us.

Simple enough. Let's see now...

If you have enough Closed Fist points, this option appears.

I thought to test you, but you need no trial. You are worthy. I grant you the chance to carry out my wishes.

While I do like how Bladed Thesis is taken aback by that, picking the "best" option causes the test to be skipped entirely, and since the test is the most interesting part of this quest we shall pretend that never happened and pick the middle option instead. I have never done this quest before or even seen it, so I'm kind of winging it here.

The bottom option, of course, makes Bladed Thesis hostile, and we don't want that either.

Name your test. I will take it.

What type of test is this?

The test is simple if you understand the Way of the Closed Fist. Speak with each of these wretches and hear their stories. Tell me which of them deserved to die, and why.

Well, if we were going by what most Closed Fist options in this game have shown us thus far, we'd just say that everyone deserves to die because they're weak. Then we'd kill them, take their pocket money and laugh in their faces as we kick them a few times when they're down. Losers.

Yes, tell me.

Years ago I found my end at the hands of an executioner. His yellow sash, symbolizing his service to the Emperor, was the last thing I saw. I had tried to rob a store armed with a saber that my husband had used before his death. I thought to take all the silver the shopkeeper had and leave town with my only child. We would go far away and start over.

I claimed my silver without a problem, but the shopkeeper's son had ducked out the back and ran to tell the guards. I did not get far before they caught me. I knew the penalty for what I had done, so I fought viciously, but they were too many. I was caught and beheaded.

Apparently, this particular executioner thought cleaving half of someone's head off is the same thing as beheading.

We can ask her to repeat the story if need be, but let's just go over to the male ghost and ask what happened to him.

One day, one of the traders decided to make a stand. He called me out and challenged me to a fight. I accepted.

camera :argh:

I laid into him, beating him soundly and then backing off. Enjoying his suffering. Then, betrayal! Realizing I was growing tired and deliberately sloppy, my second in command plunged a dagger into my back. She took it all: my life, my men and my silver. That is the tale of how I died.

Now that we have all the information we need, we can go to Bladed Thesis and give him what we think is the correct answer.

I'm ready to tell you which deserved their death.

Then tell me, who deserved their death? The man, or the woman? Do not bother with fabrication, I will hear the truth of what you say.

Despite what you might think based on everything we have seen, "EVERYONE MUST DIE" is in fact the wrong answer.

You understand the Way of the Closed Fist. Taunting a foe, playing with them, teaches them nothing. The other bandit was right to kill him and seize his power.

See, Closed Fist is supposed to have some nuance to it and it's not just stupid evil! It's a shame this is one of approximately two quests in the entire game that follows this line of thought in the slightest. Bladed Thesis would be disappointed.

We, on the other hand, haven't disappointed him and have passed the test, so now we can help him with something that needs to be done.

That said, we're not just going to kneel down in front of Bladed Thesis and blindly follow his orders, because what kind of self-respecting follower of Closed Fist would stoop to that?

Before my death, I performed my greatest composition, preserving me from madness. But the zither was dismantled before I learned how to fully harness its strength.

The process will kill him. I will ensure that the zither's discord consumes him. In that moment I will seize some of his life force, making myself stronger.

Take the bridge to him, and say nothing. Let him bring his doom upon himself, and I will use the magic of the zither to strengthen you and I both.

Having said what he needs to, Bladed Thesis disappears and takes the two ghosts with him. Our job is clear.

You were following me?

Naturally, Scholar Six Heavens has been following us, and now he shows up to demand the bridge. We're obviously going to give it to him, just as he asks.

Take good care of it, Six Heavens!

This will show those stuffy scholars in the Imperial City that I am serious. People will talk for centuries about this discovery! *My* discovery.

Yes, totally his discovery. Nobody helped him pass Bladed Thesis' test which he'd have failed miserably, nobody at all.

True to his word, Bladed Thesis appears and eats Six Heavens' soul, making himself more powerful in the process.

Of course, we're not quite done yet.

More and more you surprise me. Your understanding of the Way is impressive; it would almost be an honor to lose to you. It won't happen, but it would be an honor.

This fight is entirely optional, but I think it's the perfect way to cap off the quest. We have shown we understand Closed Fist (or at least the way it was intended to be before a bunch of idiots like Six Heavens screwed it up), and what better way to show that understanding than challenge Bladed Thesis when he is more powerful than ever?

Here's the Tempest style in action. Much like Stone Immortal, the visual aspect of it is really lacking. I know you're supposed to be manipulating the winds and ripping things apart, but it just looks so weak.

Bladed Thesis is a spirit enemy, so we can't use Storm Dragon on him to set up harmonic combos. However, Tempest (and Stone Immortal) can also be used to start a combo if you use the strong attack. Tempest's strong attack suspends the enemy in midair, leaving them vulnerable.

One strong attack from Leaping Tiger, and this fight is over. Bladed Thesis has been destroyed.

We also get the Zither Bridge, but have no use for it so it'll just stay in our inventory for the rest of the game.

The gameplay rewards from this quest aren't particularly great, we just get a technique called Chaotic Strains (+5 to Health and Chi) and some Closed Fist points (or Open Palm points if you kill Bladed Thesis to "protect the weak" and that sort of thing), but the main draw of Zither of Discord is the fact it's one of the few quests that try to add some nuance to the Closed Fist philosophy. Of course, since the rest of the game is what it is and you spend most of a Closed Fist run as a sociopathic dickbag, the quest just comes off as this strange anomaly.

Next time, we'll go back to Wu and maybe show off those alternate ways to complete the Matchmaker quest.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 15, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
If the sequel ever happens, this more nuanced approach to Closed Fist and maybe a couple quests showing the downsides of the Open Palm (i.e. someone ordering you to execute a repentant thief because that is the Law) would be excellent.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's so edgy it's causing me physical pain. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Veyrall posted:

maybe a couple quests showing the downsides of the Open Palm
That happens in this game.

Doc Morbid posted:

(I tried to make a GIF but Gooncam was having some issues with my desktop scaling)
Is Gooncam the SA Gifcam alternative?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 16, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Caught back up. It's a few back, but Kang the Mad is fantastic, and his voice acting is spectacular. JE did a lot of things well, for all that it had its dumb, janky and/or hypocritical flaws.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Veyrall posted:

If the sequel ever happens, this more nuanced approach to Closed Fist and maybe a couple quests showing the downsides of the Open Palm (i.e. someone ordering you to execute a repentant thief because that is the Law) would be excellent.

...what?

Neither path is associated with lawfulness.

This sort of cliche happens to be exactly what leads to Bioware Morality Writing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is Gooncam the SA Gifcam alternative?
Yeah. It has a few more options for editing, but is pretty much the same aside from that. Gifcam seems to be capturing the right region despite the scaling, so I'll use that from now on.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Veyrall posted:

Open Palm would definitely reward helping the thief escape because it's not actually a law vs chaos binary! Closed Fist is 'help yourself', essentially, or 'rely on your own strength' and Open Palm is 'help others' or 'rely on others to help you and in turn help others' more specifically, and each also includes teaching those to others.

(the Closed Fist version of that quest would obviously be 'hand the thief a knife and see if they can fight their way out').

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Veyrall posted:

Really, I kind of like that sometimes it's Disney Evil and sometimes it's a nuanced approach? If Open Palm and Closed Fist both have a workable balance, both can also be unworkably out of balance.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Amidiri posted:

(the Closed Fist version of that quest would obviously be 'hand the thief a knife and see if they can fight their way out').

Or just quietly jimmy the lock on his door and let him sneak out on his own. Not everything needs to be murder.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think it would be great if they kept in some of the puppy kicking evil stuff just for fun, though it fits better in ME or SW.

There are some of the better ways of handling evil choices in ME2 that I recall. The one where you have the monologuing Krogan on top of the explosive tank, and you can blow it up to skip his talking and remove one guy from the next fight. That's good because it's "evil" in that you are basically shooting an unarmed opponent and getting the drop on him, and by doing so you are taking a shortcut. But you didn't have to kill an orphan to achieve the same result.

In one of the Old Republic storylines, one of your characters is challenged to a duel. You can either fight it the right way and choose to spare the idiot or not. Or, because you're a scoundrel, you can shoot early and wound him with a quippy one liner a few times, and then decide to let him run off or kill him. I think if you kill him, then you get darkside points, but otherwise, you're just a dude doing your own thing.

Bioware has ways of managing "evil" without going full cartoon, they just either don't have enough to handle a whole game, or they feel the need to gamify the system and want to give you a choice every 10 feet or so.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Stroth posted:

Or just quietly jimmy the lock on his door and let him sneak out on his own. Not everything needs to be murder.

Close your fist, loser. If he was strong or skilled enough, he wouldn't have gotten caught in the first place. :colbert:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Laugh at him until he becomes so enraged that he breaks free to attack you.
Then kill him.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

CzarChasm posted:

There are some of the better ways of handling evil choices in ME2 that I recall. The one where you have the monologuing Krogan on top of the explosive tank, and you can blow it up to skip his talking and remove one guy from the next fight. That's good because it's "evil" in that you are basically shooting an unarmed opponent and getting the drop on him, and by doing so you are taking a shortcut. But you didn't have to kill an orphan to achieve the same result.

That's essentially why they called the good/bad system as Paragon and Renegade. Paragons rely on reason and morality, Renegades rely on results and rudeness. Although unarmed, the Krogan WAS threatening you, and in the end it created a badass moment for you. Paragons sit and wait out the pithy speeches, Renegades say screw it and shoot at the explosive tank to shut the idiot up.

And we sort of ran into something like that at Gao the Greater's compound, when we offered Fuyao a chance to learn how to fight back by stabbing the slaver, who honestly really doesn't deserve to be spared in any case.

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 18, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cangelosi posted:

And we sort of ran into something like that at Gao the Greater's compound, when we offered Fuyao a chance to learn how to fight back by stabbing the slaver, who honestly really doesn't deserve to be spared in any case.
We actually did spare him, but as I said in the update I like to think he ran into Sky's swords on the way out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cangelosi posted:

That's essentially why they called the good/bad system as Paragon and Renegade. Paragons rely on reason and morality, Renegades rely on results and rudeness. Although unarmed, the Krogan WAS threatening you, and in the end it created a badass moment for you. Paragons sit and wait out the pithy speeches, Renegades say screw it and shoot at the explosive tank to shut the idiot up.
It's really rude to interrupt the villain's speech. :colbert:

Also if you're good enough you don't need the sissy renegade advantages. :smug:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Poil posted:

Being rude is the best part of Mass Effect. Can yo imagine a game where you couldn't hang up on the most powerful individuals in the galaxy when they annoy you?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Poil posted:

I've pretty much only played as a Paragon in Mass Effect and even I couldn't refuse to blow that Krogan sky high. Hell, he's even monologuing, I should get points all over the board for stopping crap like that :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 19: Breaking the Curse

Last time, we spent some time on the Way of the Closed Fist in order to complete the Zither of Discord sidequest, one of the few quests in Jade Empire where the writers remembered Closed Fist wasn't supposed to be stupid evil. With that, we have finished everything in and around Tien's Landing, and now all that's left is one more round of conversations around the party campfire before we leave for the Imperial City. Of course, I promised to show off the alternate ways to finish the Matchmaker quest, so that's what's first on the agenda for today. This update will consist entirely of dialog and the only slightly important bits are in the party member conversations, so it's not the most exciting thing in the world but I want to get this stuff out of the way so the next update can start from the beginning of Chapter 3.

We begin in the teahouse, where one of the eligible bachelors of Tien's Landing is hanging out and judging people. This is Yaoru, and I'm not sure why you'd ever pick him as a potential match for Ai Ling because he is a dickbag of the highest magnitude.

Yep, it is not easy being as intelligent as Yaoru, and normally it's not worth trying. I believe he'll want to hear what we have to say on this occasion, even though we're obviously beneath him in every way.

Heavy emphasis on "might"

Ai Ling is looking for a husband.

Ai Ling? Surely you jest! The infamy of that woman's gang leads me to believe she is barely above a beast... though I hear she is fair to gaze upon.

[Failure] A match for me? I would be offended were the suggestion not so ludicrous as to be completely dismissible. Ai Ling is no match for me!

Whoops. Of course. How silly of me, let's try that again.

And then he could address her as "m'lady". This can't fail.

Perhaps you are right. It could be a worthy challenge to try and affect the grand metamorphosis on this ugly caterpillar; my reward may well be a gorgeous butterfly. Very well, I consent to a meeting with Ai Ling herself. Take me to her, that we may move events to their ultimate conclusion.

The only conclusion Yaoru deserves is getting punched in the face and slinking away to complain about how females just don't appreciate his personality and clearly superior intellect.

ONE LOADING SCREEN LATER

That's not Ai Ling, you moron.

Actually, Wu is just standing in an unfortunate spot between Ai Ling and Yaoru.

"I am so sorry about all of this, I swear"

:cripes:

Ai Ling is too good for this idiot. :allears:

No, I believe the intention was to insult you and tell you to gently caress off, like any self-respecting person would do in her situation.

However, we're supposed to convince Ai Ling to give this loser a chance, so we'll use Intuition. Charm might work as well, but Intimidation isn't going to cut it here. The game isn't bothering to even spell his name right, which is quite fitting for this chump.

Look, I know I've got a bad reputation. But I'm looking to make a clean start. It won't be easy to change, but I'm willing to try.

I suppose I can't reasonably ask for more than that, can I? Perhaps this union has potential after all.

He really should be counting his lucky stars at this point because nobody in the room has assaulted him yet.

Well, I guess it worked out. Kind of.

Poor Ai Ling, she might be a brutal gang leader but she's done nothing to deserve this rat doing an impression of a man. Let's see how the third and final path of the Matchmaker quest goes, it certainly can't be much worse than Yaoru here.

Big Tian is found right next to the boathouse. You may remember that the chufty farm boy is not the sharpest tool in the shed (or even the second or third sharpest) and has absolutely no social skills whatsoever, but his heart is more or less in the right place.

Well Tian, you just might have the opportunity of a lifetime.

Pretty? Yeah, sure. As for the rest... uhh... maybe we should go ask her about that.

Big Tian really didn't know what he was getting himself into when he came to town in search of a wife.

ONE MORE LOADING SCREEN LATER

Yeah, I ain't never been to the big city before. Usually I stay out on my farm. But my old father told me it's time to get me a wife so... you want to get married now?

You aren't really the sharpest knife in the rack, are you, Tian?

Big Tian is the kind of guy who goes straight to the point, mostly because he doesn't know any other way.

Hey, that's what my old father always says about me! He also says the key to farming is hard work and happy thoughts.

A farm, eh? I've spent my whole life living in the town. I'm not sure I want to leave Tien's Landing.

The Intimidation option is the only one that works here. Not because Ai Ling isn't convinced, but because the merest mention of Ai Ling's gang will cause Big Tian to freak out and run away screaming.

Well, I guess he's a better option than Yaoru at least. Chumin the craftsman is pretty much the only real choice here, to be honest. Let's just get our reward from Ai Ling and then return to our proper timeline.

That seems like it'd be an interesting conversation, but we're not going to be around to hear it.

We're now done with what might have been and have returned to the main playthrough, so let's have a chat with our party members before we tell Kang the Mad to prepare the Marvelous Dragonfly for takeoff.

I still think BioWare did a pretty good job with Dawn Star's facial animations and expressions, considering the hardware this game was designed for.

Wild Flower, on the other hand... well, you can't win them all, I guess.

I certainly hope that part's in there somewhere.

Let's just all make fun of Sky for a little while, that always improves the mood.

Then it is time to walk around the camp and talk to everybody. Starting with Dawn Star.

Now we have everything we need to follow Master Li's captors to the Imperial City. I am eager to do so, after all the resistance we have encountered. Our time in the forest was very troubling to me. To see such distance between the concerns of men and spirits... is something I am still getting used to. I have been sensitive to these things for as long as I can remember, but it was not always such a disturbing talent. There used to be harmony.

I suppose things might get a bit out of whack due to all the ghosts wandering around lately.

It makes me wonder how deep the trouble goes, and what mortals like us are supposed to do about it. What do *you* think? Master Li thought you were tied to this somehow. Can you comfort me?

Your appreciation is just what I was looking for, and I am grateful. I know we will do what we can, even if the world moves in ways we cannot fathom. I am glad that we can talk like this. It soothes my mind. I hope we can continue another time.

We shall do that.

I want to talk about what Inquisitor Lim said about you.

That is... an old wound. My departure from the Lotus Assassins was not gentle for either side. My immediate companions, those who were my brothers, fell by my hand. Lim was not among them. He would have died if he was. I was labeled as the one who deserted, and I am occasionally recognized. The result is always the same. Another death, more blood spilled. Such a waste for a hatred they cannot even understand.

Strength is the way of things, and death is the end... or should be. Some do not respect either. They have enough of one to defy the other.

There's clearly a story here, so let's hear it.

I did some harsh things while with the Lotus Assassins, but they no longer follow a path I recognize. They are a mirror of Death's Hand, and he embodies corruption. You will see, as you get close to him. He draws out the worst in everyone and displays it for all to see.

From what Zu is saying, it seems the Lotus Assassins used to be... a little bit more honorable, I guess? They still killed a bunch of people because that is kind of what assassins do, but it sounds like it was Death's Hand's influence specifically that made them into the murderous thugs we're familiar with.

For now, we should make our way to the Imperial City. That is where they took your master and where we will find the heart of the Lotus Assassins.

Zu has nothing else to say at the moment, so we shall move on to the next person.

Wild Flower has nothing important to say either, but if we ask what she thinks of our current situation we at least learn a little bit about her. Apparently, flying is something she's always dreamed of doing, and she's obviously very excited about it.

Well then, let's see if Henpecked Hou can tell us more about himself or his wife.

My wife ensures that I work very hard every day to become the best bun master in the Imperial City. Perhaps the best in all the Empire. Though I was one of the most respected fighters in the Empire before I met my precious bride, she made sure that I became something more... or less.

As I mentioned before, my style requires that I drink. She detests drinking, though there are things she detests even more. Like talk of us... separating.

Oh. Good.

Life is not all bad though. I may have lost all my dignity and self-respect. along with my ability to fight or even make a tight fist, but I am a bun master of some renown.

Hou really needs to stand up for himself and :sever: sooner rather than later because none of this sounds healthy in the slightest.

Uh, right. That's settled then, I guess. Next, we'll go ask the Black Whirlwind what he did before he was with Lord Yun.

Anyway, by the time I was old enough to swing an axe, my father was dead and my mother disowned me. 'Course, killing my father might have given her reason. I think she did it out of shame. My father beat me and my brother senseless and made our lives miserable. Either way, that was the end of my childhood.

:stonk: This story isn't going to get any better, is it?

Hold on, that doesn't sound right.

Whirlwind hasn't exactly displayed much in the way of wits in the (admittedly short) time we've spent traveling with him.

You'd think a seven year old might be an easy target, but I soon learned just where to cut a man to make him squeal like a pig. Ahh... those were the days.

Wonderful. We'll hear more of the Black Whirlwind's exciting war stories later.

Give me a bit to digest what has happened, and then I promise to regale you with the story of how I found him.

Sky has nothing new to say, so we have only one thing left to do and that is to talk to Kang the Mad.

Once we press the button to pick this option, we are officially done with Tien's Landing. The title of this update refers to the fact the Tien's Landing section tends to be where Jade Empire LPs go to die, but we're getting out of this dump right now so consider the Tien's Landing curse broken on this occasion (admittedly the updates did slow down for a while, but all's well that ends well).

Let's get out of here.

VIDEO: Liftoff!

Next time: The heart of the Jade Empire. The Imperial City.

-----

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 20, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Congrats on making it out of Jade Empire's version of Highfort! :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Congratulations on breaking the curse! I guess the screenshot format makes it more manageable than trying to fill however many dozen hours of commentary over fairly repetitive fights? At any rate, I'm excited to move on!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I still stand by my theory that Henpecked Hou is single and just a bullshitter.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Veyrall posted:

It'd be an amazing reveal.

"I'm the greatest fighter in all history, honest. I just can't fight any longer because my wife won't let me, such a shame! You're going to have to defeat the evil overlord all by yourselves!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Veyrall posted:

You know, there's nothing I can think of which disproves this. I think I'm going to go with it as well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am also getting the distinct feeling that Henpecked Hou's wife... IS booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

theshim posted:

Congrats on making it out of Jade Empire's version of Highfort! :v:
I had to google Highfort because I didn't recall which game it was in (Breath of Fire II, apparently), and the second and third results were LP updates named "Chapter Thirty Eight: gently caress Highfort" and "Chapter Forty One: gently caress Highfort IV". :v:

• Locked thread