Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
there's probably going to be some unavoidable casualty skill combos that are going to suck major arena balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sophism posted:

So let's assume neutral IVs.

5* Olivia
HP 36
ATK 43
SPD 33
DEF 27

5* Hector
HP 52
ATK 52
SPD 24
DEF 37

Olivia baits one attack from Hector, so that she can take him out of Armads' range. He would hit her for 14, and she'd counter for 14.

Olivia now has 22 HP and Hector has 38 HP. Now on her turn she initiates the attack. She hits him for 14, he counters for 14, she gets another swing due to her Speed advantage, hitting him for another 14. Except Pavise proc'd, so she only hit him for 7.

Olivia now has 8 HP and Hector has 17 HP. It's his turn and he kills her on his next swing.

Are my calculations accurate?

You missed her second hit from when she baited him, bringing him down another 14. Also, she can just not attack him on the second turn and finish him off on the third turn, since he'll have 3 HP left. Hector's usually the last guy left, so you have all the time in the world to kill him.

Edit: Also, Hector would do 15 damage because of the precise way it rounds. Apparently it takes 20% of the Atk value, truncates that 20% number, and then subtracts it from the Atk.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 14, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The moral of the story is never attack if you don't have to.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Is Karel's VA the same as Kivan from BG

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I think Rebecca is the best unit on the banner.

Straight up superior to Jeorge. Even with Parthia's passive he still has less Res. Rebecca has 40 speed w/ darting blow, that hits a lot of 34/35 speed characters pretty hard. Rebecca has less defense but not noticeable. Ardent Sacrifice is better than Jeorge's non-existant special I maybe saw once.

She has some uses over Klein but still not as good as Takumi. If you haven't picked up an archer yet, it's worth it to pull some colorless at the risk of pulling garbage healers.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Clarste posted:

You missed her second hit from when she baited him, bringing him down another 14. Also, she can just not attack him on the second turn and finish him off on the third turn, since he'll have 3 HP left.

Hector's usually the last guy left, so you have all the time in the world to kill him.

So in that case.

She baits his attack and gets down to 22 HP. She countered him twice, bringing him down to 24 HP.

So next turn she passes once again. He hits her once, her first counter gets reduced by Pavise, and the next one hits for the full amount. She's down to 8 HP and he's down to 3 HP.

And then finally she can finish him off, having lost 28 HP in the process.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that losing 12 more HP than Lucina would (And that's not counting the Falchion proc there.) and taking one more turn to deal with Hector doesn't really mean Olivia beats him "real easily"...

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

110 orbs pulling for Ninian.

No 5*s. I did end up with about a dozen 4*s though. gently caress the drop rates in this game.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

Straight up superior to Jeorge. Even with Parthia's passive he still has less Res. Rebecca has 40 speed w/ darting blow, that hits a lot of 34/35 speed characters pretty hard. Rebecca has less defense but not noticeable. Ardent Sacrifice is better than Jeorge's non-existant special I maybe saw once.

She has some uses over Klein but still not as good as Takumi. If you haven't picked up an archer yet, it's worth it to pull some colorless at the risk of pulling garbage healers.

Jaffar actually isn't looking quite as bad as I initially thought, mine is 35 HP, 38 ATK, 35 SPD, 17 DEF, 11 RES @ lvl 33. That's with Life and Death lvl 2. With a dancer, I think he can be fairly scary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lord Ephraim posted:

Are you ignoring the part where Jeorge has 8 more Atk than her? 38 Atk isn't really viable for a damage character.

Sophism posted:

So in that case.

She baits his attack and gets down to 22 HP. She countered him twice, bringing him down to 24 HP.

So next turn she passes once again. He hits her once, her first counter gets reduced by Pavise, and the next one hits for the full amount. She's down to 8 HP and he's down to 3 HP.

And then finally she can finish him off, having lost 28 HP in the process.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that losing 12 more HP than Lucina would (And that's not counting the Falchion proc there.) and taking one more turn to deal with Hector doesn't really mean Olivia beats him "real easily"...

It's enough. She won't be taking damage in the rest of the fight because she's dancing, and can finish off Hector no matter how damaged the rest of your party is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This banner and the next one both suck.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

What's the next banner?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Karel and Azura is really stupid. You attack once with him, attacked back into low health and then one shot two units a turn.

I wonder if there's a hero with Reciprocal Aid whose max hp is 70% of Karel's hp. So you can just start the pain train round one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The next GHB banner. It's like Eliwood and Severa I think?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

The next GHB banner. It's like Eliwood and Severa I think?

Yeah, plus Minerva and Gordin, who can at least be mulched for Life and Death/Vantage. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clarste posted:

Are you ignoring the part where Jeorge has 8 more Atk than her? 38 Atk isn't really viable for a damage character.

Please tell me how good jeorge is because I like using him and feel bad about not rolling anything good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Giving Olivia something like Triangle adept when skill inheritance rolls around might be a good idea. That you can expand her role to killing green units.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I could sink 22k feathers into my -SPD/+DEF Olivia, and get Dance in a package that doesn't completely tank my team's total stats. At the cost of having a unit that barely deals with Hector, has no bonus damage against dragons, (With Ninian coming into play.) worse damage by a large margin, worse survivability without sustain, and in my specific case having a large portion of the cast doubling her.

Or I could spend 20k feathers on my +ATK/-DEF Nino instead.

I'll wait for the skill inheritance patch first either way, but something tells me Olivia still isn't going to cut it for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Please tell me how good jeorge is because I like using him and feel bad about not rolling anything good.

Jeorge is literally Takumi without Close Counter, and you rarely use Close Counter on offense.

Sophism posted:

Or I could spend 20k feathers on my +ATK/-DEF Nino instead.

Nino does even worse against Hector, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I honestly think having dance is better than anything else in that slot. Everything else is just a bonus.

I'd probably run a character with 1 in all stats and dance if it didn't tank my arena rating.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm incredibly excited to mush Hinata and put Fury and Brash Assault on my Lyn. She has pretty mediocre IVs but Brash Assault + Desperation seems really strong.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frankly, I don't think Olivia is that good anyway, mostly because of her low BST, but she can in fact kill Hector without any support. I mean, that's all I was arguing.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

Nino does even worse against Hector, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm unsure if you're acting deliberately obtuse here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The point is I believe Nino is a better feather investment than Olivia is. Obviously I'm not using Nino as my Hector counter, when in my calculations I specifically weigh Olivia and Lucina in that matchup.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

good god what a trash pull

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ostentatious posted:

good god what a trash pull

What were you hoping for opening all 5?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sophism posted:

I'm unsure if you're acting deliberately obtuse here, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The point is I believe Nino is a better feather investment than Olivia is. Obviously I'm not using Nino as my Hector counter, when in my calculations I specifically weigh Olivia and Lucina in that matchup.

Well, maybe you misunderstood, but I was never arguing that you should promote Olivia. I was just arguing that someone would be justified in using her as an anti-Hector tool if they wanted to have her on the team. It is a perk she has, and I don't think it's fair to dismiss it with "she's not as good as Lucina." Of course she isn't; she's a dancer. It'd make Lucina kind of useless if she was, wouldn't it?

I have no idea what your line-up is and I don't really care. I personally have spent 20k upgrading Nino and don't especially regret it. I also use Eirika to deal with Hectors, and she's not much stronger than Olivia in a straight-up fight.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 14, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

sassassin posted:

What were you hoping for opening all 5?

i was hoping for a "at least not a fir, henry and arthur who are all unimaginably lovely" but thanks for asking bruh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ostentatious posted:

i was hoping for a "at least not a fir, henry and arthur who are all unimaginably lovely" but thanks for asking bruh

Please don't waste orbs on a healer banner if you're just looking for something generally useful.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Healers are generally a lacklustre choice for arena but they have their uses, and Priscilla looks to be far and away the best healer so far.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Too risky wasting your pity rate on colorless when you can pull something poo poo like Maria or Sakura. Just use a free Lissa as a healer if you want to level up units.

I like the next banner because Minerva is amazing and I don't see a Hector focus anytime in the future. Selena isn't that bad, just not worth the 20k feathers over her 3/4* counterparts. Eliwood's the same. I can easily ignore colorless again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Decided to do a pull because I've been itching for one and got... 5* Lucius. Ehh, I think. Like he's basically Azama+, which is nice for babysitting if nothing else.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for the 20 orbs game, I once again got 5 3*. That's the third time it's happened to me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

robbob posted:

Can anyone give some suggestions on who to focus on leveling for a cohesive team? I don't have anyone up to 40 yet but that's the team I currently use. Working on leveling up linde. But this team struggles on any green heavy stuff so looking for suggestions.

Tiki Y, Linde, Olivia, Takumi

Congrats you can kick the poo poo out of anything in the game.

In another news.

For gently caress's sake game, all I wanted was blue dragon lady and you constantly shat red and green orbs at me.

Oh and then my blues drew three odins in a row.

Ah well.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

That's a plain tiki, not a young tiki though.

I'd say Linde, Takumi, Effie, Olivia. Or maybe Tiki instead of Olivia.

Clarste posted:

Jeorge is literally Takumi without Close Counter, and you rarely use Close Counter on offense.

They're close, but even discounting close counter Takumi is generally a bit better. His special is more likely to be useful in an arena fight, and his stats are slightly better distributed.

hit button fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man they really need to think about giving an orb or the two orbs a day thing or that will kill the game for a lot of F2P people.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Really would like it if they made it so you could grab 1* versions of characters you wanted. Even if it was some high orb cost, I'd rather do that instead of pull stuff I'll never use.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Servaetes posted:

Man they really need to think about giving an orb or the two orbs a day thing or that will kill the game for a lot of F2P people.

The daily arena quests have an orb reward

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hit button posted:

That's a plain tiki, not a young tiki though.

I'd say Linde, Takumi, Effie, Olivia. Or maybe Tiki instead of Olivia.

They're close, but even discounting close counter Takumi is generally a bit better. His special is more likely to be useful in an arena fight, and his stats are slightly better distributed.

Oh yes my mistake.

There's some excellent Tharja/Olivia/Linde synergy that I've noticed, so they could run Tharja/Olivia/Linde/Takumi. Tharja blows up green, Linde blows up Blue and Red, Takumi deals with any gaps and Olivia gives you a second explosion in the correct colour.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
should i use my feathers on Effie or Sharena? i really can't decide help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Really would like it if they made it so you could grab 1* versions of characters you wanted. Even if it was some high orb cost, I'd rather do that instead of pull stuff I'll never use.

Yes, I would pay orbs or feathers for guaranteed 1*s.