Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
bisping is the best bit about all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

bisping is the best bit about all of this

I am enjoying this too, and this is more mma to have it become a travesty, but I hope we still get some more matchups between the big 4

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Remember when Rockhold, jacare, Romero, and Weidman meant 2-3 years of all time classic fights ahead of us in a couture-ortiz-liddell esque golden age for MW

Haha yeah

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I still want to know when this forum started to give a poo poo about ranking decided by loving "industry insiders."

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Captain Log posted:

I still want to know when this forum started to give a poo poo about ranking decided by loving "industry insiders."

When it started being a tool used by the industry to actually pick fights probably

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Captain Log posted:

fd would self quote himself at you, RIP

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

JaySB posted:

I'm starting to think interim titles are actually a valid thing. With the way the UFC is just ignoring rankings to sell fights, having 2 interim champions kinda means you can't not have a title unification bout.

Marching Powder posted:

honestly i don't have a problem with interim belts. it's become the ufc's way of saying 'look, i know the next guy to fight for the title isn't the first guy in line, but we PROMISE that the next fight will be legit'.

it's two birds one stone, ufc gets their vanity money fight and the championship in that division becomes very-much-disputed so they have to unify asap

This isn't true though. The Aldo-Edgar interim was supposed to unify the belt with Conor before he hosed off to 155, then he dropped the 145 belt while Aldo became Undisputed. Then the Holloway-Pettis interim title winner was supposed to unify the belt against Aldo, but they tried to give Jose a fight with Khabib (even though Khabib is a dipshit who ducked him to not fight Fergie). Interim belts are even more meaningless than the Undisputed belts

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

chaleski posted:

This isn't true though. The Aldo-Edgar interim was supposed to unify the belt with Conor before he hosed off to 155, then he dropped the 145 belt while Aldo became Undisputed. Then the Holloway-Pettis interim title winner was supposed to unify the belt against Aldo, but they tried to give Jose a fight with Khabib (even though Khabib is a dipshit who ducked him to not fight Fergie). Interim belts are even more meaningless than the Undisputed belts

Yes, all of those things indicate that they unify titles asap, except for the Aldo / Khabib fight which sounds stupidly farcical and may have meant Aldo would have to vacate but it doesn't matter because it didn't happen or even come close to happening lol

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Remember when Rockhold, jacare, Romero, and Weidman meant 2-3 years of all time classic fights ahead of us in a couture-ortiz-liddell esque golden age for MW

Well Rockhold was supposed to fight Jacare again recently till he got AKAed and had to pull out, and Romero recently killed Weidman so we are half way there.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Captain Log posted:

I only care because it impacts how much fighters get paid through the Reebok deal.

When I'm trying to figure out who I think should get the next title shot or who should fight a top contender, the rankings are only useful to remind me "oh yeah, I forgot about him. Sure, maybe him too". If the #2 contender is a poo poo fighter, I'm not clamoring for him to get a title shot just because of a number.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bundt Cake posted:

fd would self quote himself at you, RIP

I just poured one out. Seeing as how I don't drink this was difficult. RIP Fatherdog.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't there some spergy "real" rankings somewhere?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Tsyni posted:

Gonna have to be more specific. And yes, they all have Fedor at the top of every weight class.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kelvin in particular should be ashamed for asking for a 1-6 dude who just had a close one with Derek Brunson, especially after he just ate up another 1-5 Brazilian who's name is writing checks his post USADA rear end can't cash.

On top of the other reasons pointed out, Kelvin is/was ranked 10th and Anderson is 7th and they are both coming of wins. It totally makes sense.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I.N.R.I posted:

very much enjoyed making 100 mgs jokes too. thank u blue deanie for presenting everyone with the opportunity. if i could kindly request you do more videogame style ones in the future since thats all i do with my considerable free time these days :mrgw:

Finally caught up and glad you and everyone else enjoyed it, man

I agree the middleweight title picture is real bad right now. So is any division that's being held up by two people who aren't fighting

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tsyni posted:

Tepology? They seem to automatically put the UFC champ at the top of every division (including Bisping at MW), and the rankings used to diverge from the UFC somewhat, but now they seem to track very closely through the top 15 or so.

That to me is a sign that the MMA media may have shrugged, looked at tapology for guidance, and said "sure why not".

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Captain Log posted:

I want to know why you still post about chael sonnen in the ufc thread six times a day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kelvin owns and him punching silva would owns.

I hope he gets the Silva fight, merks him and forces his way to the front of the line at either ww or mw because that would be cool.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I want to know why you still post about chael sonnen in the ufc thread six times a day.

chael has been broken down many times as well

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Log posted:

Anderson is one of my main men, but Chael was Gastelum's coach and is taking a page directly from his coaches' playbook. "Shoot for the title or shoot for the easiest, highest paying fight possible."

That "Legend's rear end Whoopin' Tour" Gastelum mentioned was lifted directly from Chael in a cool way.

Chael should honestly be giving lessons on how to trash talk. So many fighters are so bad at it, they make themselves look like dopes while trying to dig in on another fighter.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

willie_dee posted:

He is going to be on Conan O'brian (who is now a micro owner of the UFC) to announce something on the 15th

If this is true, then it could be Mayweather/McGregor. Though I'm not sure I'd want to watch that, or think it'll be the announcement.

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/3/13/14916328/t-mobile-arena-las-vegas-reserved-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-june-10

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
MMA fame is weird. The way people's skills deteriorate faster than than their popularity and draw is really kinda unique to fight sports. Well I guess overeating old famous guys happens it all sports but what's unique is the ability to leverage it. Dumb fans want dumb fights and they get booked because washed up names still bring more ppv buys than young talent.

It's a byproduct of the fact that there's no seasons or organized rankings or anything deciding your next fight and basically every booking is just kinda vaguely arbitrary. Kobe could still get voted into the all star game when he was garbage but I didn't have to deal with him being arbitrarily placed deep into the playoffs at least, you know?

I mean I understand there's monetary incentive for it to happen, it's just kinda lame, especially when guys are only fighting twice a year. I don't really have any better ideas, it just kinda struck me that the situation is pretty unique to combat sports.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

JaySB posted:

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

Black Beast

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it would be interesting to hear from mighty mouse's girlfriend, or maybe shoot for the stars and interview conor mcgregor's girlfriend

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

JaySB posted:

Jorge Masvidal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

i've known a few guys who are orthodox to fight southpaw specifically for a powerful jab and hook. you can train up a competent cross with your non-dominant hand fairly quickly and having a naturally powerful lead hand is very beneficial.

Seems like the hard part would be learning the footwork

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

JaySB posted:

Teruto Ishihara

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

jesus. all the people who would be good have been on all the interview shows anyway / are well known for being personable and interesting.

some people that may not be foremost in your mind: dustin poirier, bobby green (did he retire?), i don't know if cirkunov can speak english but him, or anyone from russia, joe duffy, aljamain sterling, ray borg, yair rodriguez, rob whittaker.

it just occured to me that i'd like to hear more from rising stars in the divisions - young guys with a lot of potential who want their name out there. maybe also ask if they've got any good stories from their z-league days. local fighting events are often full of crazy poo poo.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

jesus. all the people who would be good have been on all the interview shows anyway / are well known for being personable and interesting.

some people that may not be foremost in your mind: dustin poirier, bobby green (did he retire?), i don't know if cirkunov can speak english but him, or anyone from russia, joe duffy, aljamain sterling, ray borg, yair rodriguez, rob whittaker.

it just occured to me that i'd like to hear more from rising stars in the divisions - young guys with a lot of potential who want their name out there. maybe also ask if they've got any good stories from their z-league days. local fighting events are often full of crazy poo poo.

It's not fighter centric but I'd like to get a couple on. Definitely plan to get some Z-League and general good stories.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Speaking of Cirkunov, I think he's fighting that Oezdemir dude who upset Ovince St. Preux on that Stockholm card.

Unfunny Poster posted:

If this is true, then it could be Mayweather/McGregor. Though I'm not sure I'd want to watch that, or think it'll be the announcement.

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/3/13/14916328/t-mobile-arena-las-vegas-reserved-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-june-10

He'll be promoting his Netflix show and maybe announcing Bisping/GSP's date.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

JaySB posted:

If you're limited to Vegas please do a 30 minute sit down interview with Frank Mir where every single question is about the movie "The Last Samurai"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

It would be a seriously bad idea to announce that, fans would interrupt it so Bisping might not even get a goodnight kiss

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dan Didio posted:

I just Google'd this to figure out which show. I don't dislike the show but I kind of got tired of it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I assume with some Netflix input it'll be at least a bit tighter in the non-fight-night bits.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

A certain sambo-preferring goon gets another namedrop in the Co-Main Event Podcast at 13:15 (context: edson barbosa vs beneil dariush)

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Dan Didio posted:

Speaking of Cirkunov, I think he's fighting that Oezdemir dude who upset Ovince St. Preux on that Stockholm card.

They're dating?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Like, I love anderson silva, and I dont think this fight should happen because I don't want him to die, but I'm pretty sure that's what would happen though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JaySB posted:

Ryan hall and lando vannatta

edit: and also oleksiy oliynyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cody the Pfist Pfister

• Locked thread