Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The 3DS version of Cave Story that I have runs real good. I'd rebuy that on the Switch.

Well, A version of Cave Story is coming to Switch so maybe you'll get your request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
*little Timmy walks into toys'r'us*

"Mommie!!!! A new Nintendo Switch game is out!!, can we get it?!"

*mom looks at boxart of aborted fetus*

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Rexroom posted:

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's the best one. Companies just like to use it because it's free to incorporate.

Wrong. It's a very, very good web engine that is best in breed when it comes to standard compliance, speed and power consumption, and underpins the vast majority of all web browsers in use.

quote:

The problem is that WebKit is a bug infested dumpster fire, which makes it an easy vector for hackers to get into embedded systems - especially if they don't update their browsers, but you could argue about that any browser.

Wrong. WebKit is one of the most active open source projects in the world and has the strongest set of corporate backers out there.

The switch is also not an embedded system.

The reason why web browsers are always the softest attack vector is because the web is mind bogglingly complex and everyone uses it. Any modern web browser is by far the most complex piece of software on anyone's computer, requiring implementation of some of the most insane standards ever devised.

quote:

But other browsers don't necessarily publicly document what holes they patched - like WebKit does. And so it goes.

Wrong. All browsers have patch notes at the very least, and the vast majority are open source just like WebKit.

The reason why Switch has an old version of WebKit is simple: It takes ages to test software on unreleased hardware.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

*little Timmy walks into toys'r'us*

"Mommie!!!! A new Nintendo Switch game is out!!, can we get it?!"

*mom looks at boxart of aborted fetus*

I'm not sure if the character design is even comprehensible to someone who doesn't know. It just looks like nothing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Isn't cave story that free PC game

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Spellman posted:

Yes, it is available for free. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend it.

http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spellman posted:

Why play it for free on PC when you can spend $40 to play it with bad 3D models and colored lighting on 3DS?

(I love the 90s aesthetic of Cave Story 3D)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

sleepness posted:

Has anyone managed to solve the problem of the switch randomly hijacking the TV input even when asleep? For example, I'll put the switch in the dock, and it will change input to the switch. I'll put the switch to sleep, and change back to our cable input. The switch however for some reason will randomly do something for the TV to recognize that it's there and my input will change, while the system remains asleep. I have "match Tv state" turned off, but this doesnt help. I see lots of posts about it, but I'm wondering if someone has actually solved this. Ive never had issues like this before with other consoles (ps4, Xbox one in rest mode) so I'm pretty confident it's not my TV, but don't know the cause.

It does it to me as well, and I haven't found a fix. Bonus points : I have it at work today plugged into a little USB-C dock connected to my computer for charging (very very slowly). Same thing happens in that the connection pops up on my computer for a split second and disappears again... constantly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nicalis ruins every game they touch and they should be fired into the sun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone got theories as to why the grip has a little loop on the back of it?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

parallelodad posted:

For easy attachment to booth babes

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

Anime cellphone straps.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Nicalis ruins every game they touch and they should be fired into the sun

well, to be fair, the original binding of isaac was done in flash, and hooooly poo poo was it unplayable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

well, to be fair, the original binding of isaac was done in flash, and hooooly poo poo was it unplayable.

A game so badly coded that even Nicalis was an improvement

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Switch version of BOI I am really hoping is good.
I like playing BOI on my vita, but it's not the updated version because Nicalis are bizarrely idiotic about it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Nicalis are bizarrely idiotic

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hey, nintendo are repairing any faulty docks/joycons you might have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z8lkm/nintendo_repair_updates_left_joycon_and_dock/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VgBz9XiT6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CsGbtifZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv9c8U2vXQ

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

boi seems like my poo poo but im one of those people who cant get past the aesthetic. didnt bother me at all in meat boy, in fact i kinda liked it there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zas posted:

boi seems like my poo poo but im one of those people who cant get past the aesthetic. didnt bother me at all in meat boy, in fact i kinda liked it there

Honestly, it doesn't take a long to just forget about the aesthetic entirely. It's a really good game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

VideoGames posted:

Switch version of BOI I am really hoping is good.
I like playing BOI on my vita, but it's not the updated version because Nicalis are bizarrely idiotic about it.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ contain a lot of bad decisions, based off of what I've watched of them, and that's from the original developer. (I kind of liked the gameplay of the original BoI, but the style completely turned me off of the game as I got farther in. I still enjoy watching it sometimes, but the new stuff, especially some unlock requirements and boss fight philosophies, looks awful.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Onean posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ contain a lot of bad decisions, based off of what I've watched of them, and that's from the original developer. (I kind of liked the gameplay of the original BoI, but the style completely turned me off of the game as I got farther in. I still enjoy watching it sometimes, but the new stuff, especially some unlock requirements and boss fight philosophies, looks awful.)

Oh I know what I'm getting into as I have rebirth and the expasions on my PC. I just want them portable.
Plus, because I am pretty bad at the game, I don't notice the bad decisions that much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is there any way to check how big a game is? I just got the Splatoon 2 Testfire and noticed it downloaded pretty quick so I wanted to see but there doesn't seem to be a way to check on the console?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Is there any way to check how big a game is? I just got the Splatoon 2 Testfire and noticed it downloaded pretty quick so I wanted to see but there doesn't seem to be a way to check on the console?

Scroll down on the eShop page.

It's 410Mb

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nerdrock posted:

I have 130 hours in that version :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Scroll down on the eShop page.

It's 410Mb

Oh, I see! I'm used to being able to see what the current size is on like an Options menu or whatever. That'd explain why it downloaded so fast. Thank you.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm sure this has been covered recently in this very thread, but you can order Disgaea 5 directly from Amazon Japan for about the same price as it'll be when it launches here and it'll be here in a few days.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Onean posted:

They fixed most of the terrible stuff that was in Afterbirth+ at launch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm sure this has been covered recently in this very thread, but you can order Disgaea 5 directly from Amazon Japan for about the same price as it'll be when it launches here and it'll be here in a few days.

Can you not buy it digitally? Cause its stupid easy to make a jpn account. You dont need a fake address or anything, it just asks you want country do you want this to be from? Just a throw away email for a new account is all you need. Seen a few people in here go round about to import a cart. But the digital is so nice.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 14, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you not buy it digitally?

Yes, but you have to use eShop credit
http://www.play-asia.com/digital_codes/nintendo_eshop/14/711z7

The Japanese eShop doesn't accept international CCs.

Maybe he just likes carts :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yes, but you have to use eShop credit
http://www.play-asia.com/digital_codes/nintendo_eshop/14/711z7

The Japanese eShop doesn't accept international CCs.

Maybe he just likes carts :shrug:

I see. Only thing I got from the jpn store was puyo demo. The mex store works great for everything always being on sale. Its store page is in English too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you not buy it digitally? Cause its stupid easy to make a jpn account. You dont need a fake address or anything, it just asks you want country do you want this to be from? Just a throw away email for a new account is all you need. Seen a few people in here go round about to import a cart. But the digital is so nice.

Sometimes it's fun to import physical games. I have a bunch of Japanese and Asian PS3/4/Vita games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Sometimes it's fun to import physical games. I have a bunch of Japanese and Asian PS3/4/Vita games.

Nothing wrong with wanting physical. Nothing at all. Just want to remind goons how easy the new region free is. Some are stuck in old style import mode

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Nothing wrong with wanting physical. Nothing at all. Just want to remind goons how easy the new region free is. Some are stuck in old style import mode

I'm saving all my internal HDD space for MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I'm saving all my internal HDD space for MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 :colbert:

Speaking of that does anyone know if there's any way to make the Switch download to one source or the other? So if I wanted to offload like MK8DX to the internal memory to make room for like Splatoon 2 could I do that?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the Joy-Con issue from a marketing perspective. It's pretty obviously a problem with the design of the left Joy-Con and not a random defect, so it's on them
I (and many others it seems) haven't had any issues with either joycon. When I'm playing in docked mode, I sit more than 2m away from my tv and Switch. It hasn't desynced once. So I don't think it's a design issue, unless it was and was rectified already.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of that does anyone know if there's any way to make the Switch download to one source or the other? So if I wanted to offload like MK8DX to the internal memory to make room for like Splatoon 2 could I do that?

Not to my knowledge. If you're using a micro SD card, it downloads to that. The only thing you can do from there is either archive it or delete it, which both wipe the downloaded content from your device but maintains it on your Nintendo account (I actually don't know what the difference between the options, since the exact same text describes them both).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I Am Frick posted:

Not to my knowledge. If you're using a micro SD card, it downloads to that. The only thing you can do from there is either archive it or delete it, which both wipe the downloaded content from your device but maintains it on your Nintendo account (I actually don't know what the difference between the options, since the exact same text describes them both).

Archive leaves it on your home screen for easy one click redownloading.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

parallelodad posted:

Archive leaves it on your home screen for easy one click redownloading.

Oh that cool. I think PS4 does the archive part automatically, but it nice if you really regret buying something and just want to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Oh that cool. I think PS4 does the archive part automatically, but it nice if you really regret buying something and just want to hide it.

Ps4 shows demos and poo poo too. Which is annoying.

• Locked thread