Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Spacebump posted:

How many future hall of famers are on that roster/coaching staff?

In all seriousness, this is a great year for MVP arguments. I can't wait to see who wins and the voting breakdown.

Well Parker, Ginobili, Gasol, and Pop are locks. Kawhi's probably getting there and Aldridge may if they win a title, which they won't. I'm just going to assume Becky Hammon is gonna make it too.

So I'm going with 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Look at this absurd Jokic pass.

https://streamable.com/iilh4

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

that's Avian

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Wrong thread

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzFjtrm_4wY

:allears:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's official. Rajon Rondo has notched his first twenty point game as a Bull.

Away all Goats posted:

Also Ximo got shut down again, says hes giving it up for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87Ddn-_CQI

Bashez posted:

Look at that team in first place with only one all star and MVP.

In the preseason poll only eight people selected the Spurs to finish #1.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

Well Parker, Ginobili, Gasol, and Pop are locks. Kawhi's probably getting there and Aldridge may if they win a title, which they won't. I'm just going to assume Becky Hammon is gonna make it too.

So I'm going with 7.

Kawhi has a Finals MVP he's going to the hall if he retires today

also why the hell hasn't he been on Team USA yet was he injured in 2016 or something

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

EvanTH posted:

also why the hell hasn't he been on Team USA yet was he injured in 2016 or something

I think zika scared him off.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Zogo posted:

In the preseason poll only eight people selected the Spurs to finish #1.

Was there ranking in the poll? Did people predict Lil B's inability to remove his own Kevin Durant Curse? I mean, Lil B isn't exactly an ancient and learned wizard, and just because he managed to cast a curse in a fit of pique doesn't mean he has the requisite understanding and power within the spirit realm to remove such a resounding hex. In retrospect the injury should've been obvious to any clear-eyed basketball and magic analyst, but I think most people assumed something like "they'll finish second unless Steph Curry gets injured or something"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

He said his first child was due during the Olympics and he wanted to stay home for that. It was probably really that plus Zika plus Popovichian obsession with rest.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've got a Popovichian obsession with wine and cursing at people which it turns out does not make you an elite professional athlete or coach
still my favorite "pure" Pop moment of the last few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFvShURQ5k
you can tell that the pro Spurs organization runs off of a circular system of sadism from Tony trying to hide his "You're so hosed" smile

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

a spurs fan crying about no respect and proving everyone wrong in 2017 holy poo poo

thank god someone kneecapped kevin durant so they could have this opportunity to really show all those haters who said they'd be the 2nd best team in their conference

He got upset, in longform, at some people for not recommending the Spurs as a team to bandwagon last week. It's getting strange

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

He got upset, in longform, at some people for not recommending the Spurs as a team to bandwagon last week. It's getting strange

After 2016 I think people realized you have to stand up for objective truth.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bashez posted:

I can appreciate that, and I appreciate you, Bashez.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is a kind of familiar plot if you ever watched entourage. He needed the capital, or wanted the big bonus offered by ISE, and planned to leave once his contract was up, and take most of his client list with him, but not personally since that would probably break contractual agreements, and instead have them sign with his personal corporation with an agent under his employ.

Better to be a boss than be an employee, didn't need anyone skimming off his skim, especially since fees are capped, and the money for the agents is in endorsement deals, unless that's changed.

Apropros of not much, I'd never sign with Rich Paul, the idea that a slice of every dollar I make isn't just going to the dying billionaire rentier who owns the team, but Lebron James personally profits off of all my hard work, and I'm playing a sport where I'm supposed to beat him to be the best, no thank you. I doubt there are any warriors signed with them. Oh, here's the list http://www.draftexpress.com/agents/agency/Klutch-Sports-Management-139/

The cap is like 3%, but every athlete I've asked said they take home like 50%, after taxes and fees.

these dudes in suits got a sweet con going. Lebron kinda proves that pretty much anyone can do these guys jobs.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Personally I'm glad to see the Bulls and Lakers crash and burn, after the insufferable 80's, 90's and 2000's, Kobe, Jordan. Shaq, Magic, etc - also gently caress my dumb rear end team for drafting Sam Bowie.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

eh, i'm just excited

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

Because the Spurs hate America after Tim Duncan abandoned Team USA. if you've lost count, that's two national teams Tim Duncan abandoned

Bashez posted:

A+

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Level 1 is: Why did this player who got microfracture surgery continue to get injuries and is much dimnished
Level 2 is: Why did all these players who got microfracture continue to get injuries
Level 3 is: Reading the medical literature and seeing that physicians are warned to avoid the procedure in anyone but the elderly
Level 4 is: Taking a bunch of medical related classes and shaking your drat head
Level 5 is: when you learn about the stolen corpse part sourcing for athlete tendon and ligament and bone graft procedures
Level 6 is: Not ever thinking about any of it and just focusing on things that actually matter and watching the games

Hoping to reach level 6 soon

There is no such level, sorry sweetheart. This is where it ends

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/DuvalierJohnson/status/841512202016301056

https://twitter.com/Adam_Mares/status/841512461803106304

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Russell and Murray are friends and the first thing they did after the game was hug.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Femur posted:

The cap is like 3%, but every athlete I've asked said they take home like 50%, after taxes and fees.

these dudes in suits got a sweet con going. Lebron kinda proves that pretty much anyone can do these guys jobs.

Athletes, not being corporations have to pay he top tax rate, plus top state/city rates wherever they play, that gets you into the 40 somethings, 3% on top of that gets you 50. I don't think they mean agents get 50% of their net pay after that???

But Lebron was right to build his own agency, it's such a clever way to get a constant trickle of money and eventually make enough to buy a team.

It's another part of why I think the banana boat crew colluded with the owners but I guess I'm in the minority

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So Murray has completely owned the bow and arrow from Wes huh

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Asking people who know more than I do about this... where the gently caress has #2 pick Marvin Williams been all these years? Why hasn't he put up numbers like this for years now? The dude seems long and athletic as hell.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The guy chose his spouse specifically because she met his genetic criteria to be able to produce children who could be professional basketball players.

He's at least a little nuts.

Is that really true? :catstare:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Yossarian-22 posted:

Asking people who know more than I do about this... where the gently caress has #2 pick Marvin Williams been all these years? Why hasn't he put up numbers like this for years now? The dude seems long and athletic as hell.

He moved to stretch 4 about 3 years ago and has learned the position and improved his shooting, and improved his defense along with it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Yossarian-22 posted:

Him playing pf is a recent change in his career and the nba has changed since then where athletic switchers are better than Carlos boozer scoring in the post.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I like this version of Ricky Rubio. He should play like that for the rest of his career imo. Food for thought, Ricky!

Also, Charlotte is a tire fire.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxo_exR307M

:3:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is that really true? :catstare:

I feel like I vaguely remember some quote from Mitchell Wiggins about spying his future wife running track back in college and saying hell yeah our kids are gonna be incredible, so yes it's 100% true

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bashez posted:

So I'm going with 7.

Don't forget international superstar Patty Mills

Also Rubio is the best

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Having a crazy dad that wants to fulfill his sports dreams through his sons is more important than genetics, really, that's why there's never been any father/ son all stars. Someone like Dell Curry, who was close enough to stardom, is an ideal situation.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I'm happy for the Spurs. I would love to see another LeBron-Spurs finals matchup, if we can't have something hilarious like Rockets-Wizards.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bucks vs Wolves imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

cisneros posted:

Having a crazy dad that wants to fulfill his sports dreams through his sons is more important than genetics, really, that's why there's never been any father/ son all stars.

No it's not. Come on now.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

cisneros posted:

Having a crazy dad that wants to fulfill his sports dreams through his sons is more important than genetics, really, that's why there's never been any father/ son all stars. Someone like Dell Curry, who was close enough to stardom, is an ideal situation.

Not in basketball maybe but in other sports you've got Barry/Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr., Howie and Chris Long, and surely others I'm forgetting.

Also it's too early to say but Manute Bol's kid is a major NCAA prospect at the moment

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh I forgot the best ones: Bobby and Brett Hull, both Hall of Famers; and Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. (ditto?)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Not sure why everyone is hating on Lavar Ball. Sounds like he read the Art of the Deal and is putting it into practice. I bet you Cuban, Dolan, Gilbert and Ballmer are all taking notes about how the Ball kids have go getter-ism, winnerism and entrepeneurialism in their genetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the Nurkic trade is going to cost the Timberwolves the 8th seed. The Wolves are on absolute fire right now with a strong win streak beating some very good teams, but the Nuggets ALSO decided to catch fire.

The 8,9,10 in the West is pretty exciting right now.

• Locked thread