Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i work at a hispanic middle school and they all quote "DANK YOUTUBE MEMES" constantly as well. its just how kids are these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

What if there was a multiplayer game where you pay money to buy it and you get all the characters/maps/skins

Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Something about society just turns white teenage boys into the most miserable shits in the universe. I would like to believe there is an equivalent on another planet somewhere out there but I doubt it.

youtube is just a mode of social darwinism now because you wouldn't want any of those people actually at your job or interacting with people anyway. thank you pewdiepie for thinning out the numbers

In Training posted:

I think you have to pay a small fee for Baiken and Answer this year but it'll probably be worth it anyway because Xrd owns and gives you a complete experience. It's probably the most densely packed fighting I've played since maybe Tekken Tag Tournament 2

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Red Bones posted:

In the mists of pre-youtube time I picked up lovely racist jokes via my peers and TV shows, the youth of today isn't any more doomed from picking that poo poo up from youtube as the youths of yesterday were. You go through that lovely shock humour phase as a kid and then hopefully you get pulled out of it as an adult when you start developing a wider sense of empathy and understand why making those jokes is a horrible thing to do.

Maybe. but I don't think we had these people digging their heels in insisting that actually, saying death to all jews is the morally correct thing to do, because

But I totally get what you're saying. Fair enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MinibarMatchman posted:

youtube is just a mode of social darwinism now because you wouldn't want any of those people actually at your job or interacting with people anyway. thank you pewdiepie for thinning out the numbers

Joke's on you, when they all enter their 30s and lose their popularity, they're gonna have to go back. What will you do then?

Earth Table posted:

Maybe. but I don't think we had these people digging their heels in insisting that actually, saying death to all jews is the morally correct thing to do, because

I assure you they existed, but you didn't know about them because they didn't have youtube channels because youtube didn't exist.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

That game has a ton of skins (well, pallettes because I don't think arcsys quite understood 3D gaming) to buy.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I said come in! posted:

Something about society just turns white teenage boys into the most miserable shits in the universe. I would like to believe there is an equivalent on another planet somewhere out there but I doubt it.

Teenagers are chronically insecure and have terrible interpersonal skills and it makes them awful imo, especially when they are entitled and pushed to be aggressive like young white men are. The same is true of teenagers in a lot of cultures. Especially when they spend most of their time around other teenagers. School is, I guess, necessary for educating people, but I have a hard time believing that making teenagers spend the vast majority of their time exclusively with other teenagers is good for them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Joke's on you, when they all enter their 30s and lose their popularity, they're gonna have to go back. What will you do then?

go back where, to school to learn how to do an actual occupation? I'm not worried about Jacksepticeye 2.0 showing up at my office, I don't think any of these guys would be able to handle an actual job that isn't streaming videogames all day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

That game has a ton of skins (well, pallettes because I don't think arcsys quite understood 3D gaming) to buy.

You can earn them all in game except for the ugliest ones which cost like 99 cents which is a good troll

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My 8 year old little brother watches my let's plays and he quoted a joke I made about suicide once. What's funny to them is what they're gonna parrot, they don't care what it means. The trouble is that they're going to carry that behavior with them because they learned it in their formative years. And then there will be trouble.

MinibarMatchman posted:

go back where, to school to learn how to do an actual occupation? I'm not worried about Jacksepticeye 2.0 showing up at my office, I don't think any of these guys would be able to handle an actual job that isn't streaming videogames all day

I meant, they're going to have to go back to what you call the "real world".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

You can earn them all in game except for the ugliest ones which cost like 99 cents which is a good troll

man it kills me that ArcSys doesn't do actual costumes for characters, I'd absolutely buy them all. Would love to have Holy Order Sol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What if there was a multiplayer game where you pay money to buy it and you get all the characters/maps/skins

Is that how the new Quake is going to work, or is that just for characters?

CJacobs posted:

I'll do it for you then. Access to digital media at all hours is very dangerous and we're entering the transitory period of human society where we don't yet know what the effects of such a thing will be. As the kids who now have that access get older, we'll find out.

That's a solid point, I suppose. I didn't start to be totally saturated with digital media until I was already an adult and it's definitely having an effect on me anyway. But I also consider myself fairly media-literate (given that it's part of what I used to teach at university) and consistently skeptical, so I know I'm not typical.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be cool but my understanding is that the animation work on doing a new costume is the equivalent of a whole new character. Which is why the only skin is Elphelt vs Bad Elphelt because the model was already in SIGN

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MinibarMatchman posted:

A mass group of young impressionable people that can't find jobs and consume a constant stream of media that blames specific groups for the state of the nation and economy, you say

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

For what it's worth, I think it probably is harder work than it seems to be a full-time YouTuber. Now, streamers, I have no idea. They don't have editing and poo poo to worry about. But good YouTubers put a lot of work into editing their videos and it ain't a quick process. It's also a useful skill that can potentially get them a job if they decided YouTube wasn't for them anymore.

Obvious caveats: gonna be hard to get a job if your whole YouTube persona would be amazingly embarrassing for a potential employer. And plenty of those YouTubers put absolutely minimal effort into editing or production at all, and many of the ones who put in the most work (like noted good LPer Chip Cheezum who, incidentally, got a job doing professional video editing) don't have giant viewership to match the work they put in. So, y'know, take that "YouTube is hard work" thing with as big a grain of salt as you can because it only applies to the ones who actually need to try for their viewers.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Beg and plead for money like dsp does now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

That's a solid point, I suppose. I didn't start to be totally saturated with digital media until I was already an adult and it's definitely having an effect on me anyway. But I also consider myself fairly media-literate (given that it's part of what I used to teach at university) and consistently skeptical, so I know I'm not typical.

It's an exciting time. Children and adults finally have the exact same amount of information available to them, always, at any moment. A child can now learn anything an adult can using the exact same methods on the exact same technology, with the only difference being what they search for to find it. It's fascinating. But it's also scary, because nobody really knows what's going to happen next!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well there was that news piece about a that streamer who died on camera. If you're trying to break into this industry (feels so weird saying it) then you basically do have to be on all the time begging for scraps

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We all have dumb worldviews and say stupid, edgy stuff as teens but most of us grow out of it because we get no reward from it and grow as people. Now we have kids and teens who get paid to act that way and surprise surprise they turn into horrible monsters when they age because they have been rewarded for those same behaviors for years. We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Red Bones posted:

Teenagers are chronically insecure and have terrible interpersonal skills and it makes them awful imo, especially when they are entitled and pushed to be aggressive like young white men are. The same is true of teenagers in a lot of cultures. Especially when they spend most of their time around other teenagers. School is, I guess, necessary for educating people, but I have a hard time believing that making teenagers spend the vast majority of their time exclusively with other teenagers is good for them.

Yes, teenagers should spend the vast majority of their time groomed by an adult instead of learning how to cope with peers and make lots of mistakes when they're young that they learn from in a relatively low stakes setting :rolleyes:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh no

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

Yes, teenagers should spend the vast majority of their time groomed by an adult instead of learning how to cope with peers and make lots of mistakes when they're young that they learn from in a relatively low stakes setting :rolleyes:

I don't think that's what they were implying. But as an aside from the current conversation, if you really believe that, tell that to the doctor who spent an hour pumping fresh blood into my body. You are very much underselling what "learning how to cope with peers" means to a kid and I don't appreciate it. I think there is a way to be civil about this topic and ":rolleyes:" isn't it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A mass group of young impressionable people that can't find jobs and consume a constant stream of media that blames specific groups for the state of the nation and economy, you say

World War 3 is gonna be really something else. I hope I either die in the initial attack or survive all the way, none of this holding on for a few years and then getting capped a month before it all ends bullshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
These kids today with their youtubes!!! On their cell phones!!! Kids wouldn't be such jerks if they were outside!!! Where's my dentures??

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It would be great if this thread didn't burst into rigtheous anger every single day. Like, if you must discuss things then discuss them but give other posters the benefit of the doubt and be more respectful instead of looking for targets to unload your frustrations on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if there was an Ouya device that only pumped out a new megaman game every 3 months would you kickstart it

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

if there was an Ouya device that only pumped out a new megaman game every 3 months would you kickstart it

What kinda megaman game we talkin here

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jontron actually isn't racist but is being led to spout this disinformation by the illuminati in order to test the willingness of millenials to change their beliefs in accordance to youtube people they love WAKE UP SHEEPLE

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Earth Table posted:

Monkey's Paw: Its gonna be Mighty Number 9 forever and ever and ever......

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

BexGu posted:

Monkey's Paw: Its gonna be Mighty Number 9 forever and ever and ever......

:whitewater:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MinibarMatchman posted:

This but a new Donkey Kong Country Returns game. Of only Minecart and Rocket Barrel levels. Only delivered to my door. Also pizza.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earth Table posted:

would you rather have Megaman X or Megaman NES 9 or 10 poo poo?

The GBA at one point was a Megaman machine because you got a new Battle Network or Megaman Zero game every 3 or 4 months, I have no idea how they pumped those all out. GBA also had 2 loving Metroid games, 3 "Tactics" games, 2 Advance Wars/Fire Emblems, and like 4 or 5 Kirbys.

Macaluso posted:

This but a new Donkey Kong Country Returns game. Of only Minecart and Rocket Barrel levels. Only delivered to my door. Also pizza.

If Nintendo wants another mobile games idea then this would be a good start because I loved those levels

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Now I feel bad because I feel like I was partly responsible for this unproductive derail.

What games are those of you with snow days playing today? After I finish some coding stuff it's making my way through more BOTW. I might also dabble in some Battlefield 1 as a change pace. Thanks for listening.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

would you rather have Megaman X or Megaman NES 9 or 10 poo poo?

I would settle for albums that would be soundtracks to SNES X games that don't exist

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not snowing, pretty good weather actually but i'm going through NieR atm. got ending A yesterday. Going through a second playthrough tonight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

These kids today with their youtubes!!! On their cell phones!!! Kids wouldn't be such jerks if they were outside!!! Where's my dentures??

Same

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sefal posted:

Not snowing, pretty good weather actually but i'm going through NieR atm. got ending A yesterday. Going through a second playthrough tonight.

I'm anxious to finish playthrough 1 so I can truly know what it's like to be android scum

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MinibarMatchman posted:

There was something like this already:

http://www.otonx.com

Lol, surprise! It wasn't allowed on Kickstarter because you had to have a working prototype. Also, surprise #2 (heh :nexus:) it sounds like a load of bullshit.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/10/3833080/oton-autonomous-game-console-crowdfunding

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Sefal posted:

nice! I have actually never played a platinum game, but the good buzz for NieR has put it firmly in my "buy during the summer drought when it costs a bit less" pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I finished the water dungeon in BotW last night and it was really, really cool. That was the first time I thought "wow" multiple times while going through a thing. I'm getting into the groove of this game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread