Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jedit posted:

Yes, he does.
He kinda tried talking out of getting robbed, only to slaughter them all not ten minutes into the movie's opening. He didn't show then nearly the same restraint as he did when sparing Pierce (twice ?), for some reason. Contrasting with revisionist westerns like Shane, or Unforgiven, Logan just seems enamored with its dope violence too much for similar themes to stick. On the other hand, it was great to see gore tech 3.0.

Skizzzer posted:

I didn't quite view the movie pushing that point of view, rather, Logan's struggle was more about reconciling what he feels is a life wasted. Logan is obviously contemplating suicide. I feel like there's an obvious juxtaposition between the X-men previous and what they are now, which is dead, forgotten, and not even mentioned by name. It's not even a life wasted - Logan feels like his life is poo poo and that he's probably caused more harm than good. He's better off dead than alive, and it's only the professor who is keeping Logan alive when we are first introduced to Logan. After the prof dies, it's Laura who keeps Logan alive, and Laura the reason Logan keeps fighting. We know Logan's identity; he knows it; and the Reavers know it too. He's a killer, and that doesn't change.
I can see that, but then you have everyone harkening back to who he was as an X-man and X-24.

coyo7e posted:

So you admitted you're super lazy, and then never actually bothered to even try and back up the points you made - you just pivoted to replying to someone else afrter what, 4 or 5 people called you out for what is, essentially, a shitpost?

I'm still waiting for you to list a few movies which don't fail to the things which you criticized this one for. I mean literally, just pick THREE movies where they didn't play into the tropes which upset you - while also occasionally reversing them.
Well, don't keep standing, might tire yourself out.
Or go watch Fury Road.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Some of my favorites are Candyman and, not quite the same but equally lame exposition, the part in The Wicker Man where suddenly Howie has a voiceover for like 15 seconds and then starts talking out loud to himself in a library

I LOVE that part in Wicker Man.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

He kinda tried talking out of getting robbed, only to slaughter them all not ten minutes into the movie's opening. He didn't show then nearly the same restraint as he did when sparing Pierce (twice ?), for some reason. Contrasting with revisionist westerns like Shane, or Unforgiven, Logan just seems enamored with its dope violence too much for similar themes to stick. On the other hand, it was great to see gore tech 3.0.

That reading really ignores not only the context but the actual text. He finally fights back against the carjackers after they've shot him at least once and are trying to beat him to death while he's on the ground. Pierce is knocked out the first time, and Logan takes him out to the desert and leaves him there in the hope of not actually fighting. And even when Pierce returns, Logan's focus is on escape, not the fight.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

That reading really ignores not only the context but the actual text. He finally fights back against the carjackers after they've shot him at least once and are trying to beat him to death while he's on the ground. Pierce is knocked out the first time, and Logan takes him out to the desert and leaves him there in the hope of not actually fighting. And even when Pierce returns, Logan's focus is on escape, not the fight.
He's made of an unbreakable metal, he wasn't going to die from some baseball bats, he was pissed off by the beating and sliced them apart. And it's weird to see Logan avoiding killing Pierce since he has no issues with dismembering goons when they prove more trouble than their worth; and Pierce was definitely more trouble than bruises he could eventually heal, albeit slowly.
If that's him avoiding killing or picking up fights, he's doing a not very good job at it, even Caliban comments on him coming home all bloodied and the tone made it seem it wasn't a first.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 14, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

He didn't show then nearly the same restraint as he did when sparing Pierce (twice ?),

Uh. Isn't he showing restraint when he makes the decisions to spare Pierce?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Honest Thief posted:

If that's him avoiding killing or picking up fights, he's doing a not very good job at it, even Caliban comments on him coming home all bloodied and the tone made it seem it wasn't a first.

Exactly. It's about him trying to run from something he can't get away from.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Uh. Isn't he showing restraint when he makes the decisions to spare Pierce?

Yes, but it seems contrived having him dumped in the middle of the desert when he's shown less restraint at the beginning.

Even with him screwing up and killing them because of not keeping an handle on his rage: either he's running away from trouble or he's actively trying to change who he is. If he's running away, why not kill Pierce, if he's trying to change, it doesn't seem like he's trying much.

THE BAR posted:

Exactly. It's about him trying to run from something he can't get away from.

That would make more sense, but I still think that the movie is trying to push more often an identity crisis.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 14, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Yes, but it seems contrived having him dumped in the middle of the desert when he's shown less restraint at the beginning.

but dude. we keep giving you examples of Logan trying to avoid violence (I mean, he's working as a lowly limo driver which seems like a bit of a clue) and you say he's either not restraining himself when he clearly is and when that argument looks like an obvious stretch you dismiss it as "contrived" for some reason.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
He tries to avoid the fight at the start of the movie but they push him too far and he snaps.

Later in the movie, when he's helping the father repair the water pump, he tries to avoid a fight with the racist shitlord and succeeds.

I dunno, this seems important somehow.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Logan avoiding fights is probably holdover from the source material Old Man Logan where he refuses to pop his claws or fight at all in the beginning.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

He tries to avoid the fight at the start of the movie but they push him too far and he snaps.

Later in the movie, when he's helping the father repair the water pump, he tries to avoid a fight with the racist shitlord and succeeds.

No he doesn't. All he did was provoke them into a larger response.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

No he doesn't. All he did was provoke them into a larger response.
He could have carved them up right here and there, and he didn't, he just told them to gently caress off. That's exactly what the father would have tried (probably very unsuccessfully) on his own, so even if Logan was just being polite, and keeping his abilities on the down-low, he did not fight with them, just scared them off. That is a lot of restraint in the face of these assholes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

He could have carved them up right here and there, and he didn't, he just told them to gently caress off. That's exactly what the father would have tried (probably very unsuccessfully) on his own, so even if Logan was just being polite, and keeping his abilities on the down-low, he did not fight with them, just scared them off. That is a lot of restraint in the face of these assholes.

Didn't he break some guys nose?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Didn't he break some guys nose?
Yes, then they hosed off. I mean I guess it depends on your definition of a "fight", but punching the guy once without him even getting a swing in before running away tail tucked between his legs does not make on to me, especially when we're talking about a comparison to the intro scene which, uh, escalated.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

but dude. we keep giving you examples of Logan trying to avoid violence (I mean, he's working as a lowly limo driver which seems like a bit of a clue) and you say he's either not restraining himself when he clearly is and when that argument looks like an obvious stretch you dismiss it as "contrived" for some reason.
When dealing with Pierce, sending off his colleague with an unconscious military guy, he shows an uncharacteristic restraint for someone who up until that point doesn't seem to have that high of a threshold. Even with his job as a limo driver he keeps coming back wounded regularly enough for Caliban to notice him slowing down. That's why I'm calling it contrived, because the movie doesn't really show Logan holding back that much.

Simply Simon posted:

That's one moment, amidst all the slaughter, that does work, yeah.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 14, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I LOVE that part in Wicker Man.

I don't think it's lame as in bad, just that it's like this very clear "aw gently caress it, I spent all this time reading Golden Bough and I'm getting this exposition in the drat movie" moment. The old lady giving him the stinkeye even doubles as an audience stand in

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I don't think it's lame as in bad, just that it's like this very clear "aw gently caress it, I spent all this time reading Golden Bough and I'm getting this exposition in the drat movie" moment. The old lady giving him the stinkeye even doubles as an audience stand in

Oh, I know. I just think Robin Hardy was especially skilled at that kind of unusual, wry humor. His only other non Wicker movie, The Fantasist, is full of that stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder why X-24 didn't start attacking Logan in the farmhouse as soon as he saw him, since he had no problem attacking everyone else he saw. I mean, Charles was just laying there not offering any violence at all and got shanked..

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I wonder why X-24 didn't start attacking Logan in the farmhouse as soon as he saw him, since he had no problem attacking everyone else he saw. I mean, Charles was just laying there not offering any violence at all and got shanked..

Charles is a literal walking WMD. The second he had gone after Laura and she began freaking out Charles would have tried to do something about it

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

I can see that, but then you have everyone harkening back to who he was as an X-man and X-24.

I don't know what you mean.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Skizzzer posted:

I don't know what you mean.
The comic books, people recognizing him as Wolverine, the hair trimming, just seems to be pushing him toward realizing he can't not be Wolverine.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

The comic books, people recognizing him as Wolverine, the hair trimming, just seems to be pushing him toward realizing he can't not be Wolverine.

Isn't that just ancillary to my point?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Skizzzer posted:

Isn't that just ancillary to my point?
Well, could be, but I see it as pushing the other point of view more /shrug

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Well, could be, but I see it as pushing the other point of view more /shrug

To be honest I don't think you know what you're saying.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honest Thief posted:

He's made of an unbreakable metal, he wasn't going to die from some baseball bats, he was pissed off by the beating and sliced them apart.

He's not defending himself. He's defending his limo, which is his livelihood. If they had just been beating him he might have taken it, but the car is critical. He does everything in his power to protect it, and even then violence is the last resort.

Killing Pierce would have been silly -- dude's an Important Person with a business card and all. He'd have been missed, and it may well have brought swifter retribution.

quote:

If that's him avoiding killing or picking up fights, he's doing a not very good job at it,

This is totally true, but saying he's not trying at all is missing some pretty important character stuff.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

Is Logan in it's own timeline (Though if not X-Men franchise sequels will poo poo all over this movies continuity) or were there X-Men comics in either the Apocolypse or X trilogy timeline? Or is it like deadpool where the continuity is a big "Who gives a poo poo?"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The X-Men films in general don't really care about continuity.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Let's talk about Nightcrawler's dad, the literal devil.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Charles is a literal walking WMD. The second he had gone after Laura and she began freaking out Charles would have tried to do something about it

I'm pretty sure X-24 Didn't know/comprehend this, given how Dr. Rice talked to him like a small child.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would agree, until they made a whole movie dealing with that poo poo as a main plot. I dunno if them being so confusing makes them the most accurate comic book movies or not.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

Is Logan in it's own timeline (Though if not X-Men franchise sequels will poo poo all over this movies continuity) or were there X-Men comics in either the Apocolypse or X trilogy timeline? Or is it like deadpool where the continuity is a big "Who gives a poo poo?"

The X-men movies are a god drat mess when it comes to continuity and canon.

Someone help me, but I THINK it goes Like this:

Original Trilogy:
Xmen 1-3 with Origins: Wolverine as a prequel

The Wolverine serves as a sequel to 3

Prequel Trilogy:

First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse (note DOFP resets the time line so that Xmen 1-2 of the original timeline occur, but not X3-The Wolverine. This is good, because gently caress X3 and Origins. However I have a huge soft spot for "The Wolverine" so a bit sad that storyline is essentially debunk, cannon-wise)

I am not sure if LOGAN is in this timeline. The first Xmen movie from 2000 is referenced so I want to say yes.

DEADPOOL:
I honestly think this franchise will give no fucks and will exist in whatever timeline it wants to.

Feel free to correct me i'm basing all this on me having watch the movies and nothing else.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
The only part I'm not sure made sense, is at the end the company didn't want the mutant kids anymore, they wanted to kill them, but they go in mostly trying to catch and grab them instead of shooting to kill. Obviously it's needed in a movie sense because you can't have the kids all just get shot from a distance.

The only plot explanation I have for it is a realistic one: No-one wants to go and shoot a bunch of innocent kids. Of course if you can just grab them easily enough you're not going to want to shoot them unnecessarily. Let the company deal with them afterwards. But it does feel like the film is a bit confused about whether they're trying to capture the kids or shoot them.

A lot of the time close-combat in this film seems more effective than bullets anyway. We have to kill fast, and bullets too slow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nition posted:

The only part I'm not sure made sense, is at the end the company didn't want the mutant kids anymore, they wanted to kill them, but they go in mostly trying to catch and grab them instead of shooting to kill. Obviously it's needed in a movie sense because you can't have the kids all just get shot from a distance.

The only plot explanation I have for it is a realistic one: No-one wants to go and shoot a bunch of innocent kids. Of course if you can just grab them easily enough you're not going to want to shoot them unnecessarily. Let the company deal with them afterwards. But it does feel like the film is a bit confused about whether they're trying to capture the kids or shoot them.

A lot of the time close-combat in this film seems more effective than bullets anyway. We have to kill fast, and bullets too slow.
I think you have to remember that from the company's point of view, they're not sending the Reavers to assassinate X-23. They're sending them to retrieve stolen property. It's pretty consistent. They're never trying to kill X-23 throughout the film

X-men has had a running thing about the mechanization of mutants. Wolverine is an attempt to turn a person into a weapon. X2 is about turning Professor X into a weapon of mass destruction. The thing that makes X-24 so horrifying is that it's a workaround for that whole flaw of Wolverine as a living weapon. We've had eight movies of this guy feeling guilty about his existence and trying to mold himself into something better than his base nature and what they wanted him to be. So they make a version of Wolverine without the conscience. He really is a villain who exists on an existential level for Logan. X-24 is Logan's ultimate defeat. It's him finally becoming a killing machine with absolutely no way out of it. No bald professors or spunky teens or red headed psychics can fix it. And the actual Logan just quietly dies.

The film is actually kind of Kirby-like in it's philosophy. The opposite of life isn't death. Death is an aspect of life. The opposite of life is lack of freedom. The stakes at the end for the kids can't just be being shot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I find it funny but very appropriate continuity in the X Men movie verse is fucker up because it matches the poo poo in the comics and I don't know if it was unintentional or what because it's like serindipity

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gatts posted:

I find it funny but very appropriate continuity in the X Men movie verse is fucker up because it matches the poo poo in the comics and I don't know if it was unintentional or what because it's like serindipity

Extend an IP for years and years and years
Mix in time travel stories
Shake up the creators responsible for telling the stories almost every step of the way

Yup, you're gonna have a hosed up timeline.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Skizzzer posted:

To be honest I don't think you know what you're saying.
It only took a few days for someone else to notice that HT makes absolutely no sense. Fury Road? I mean what kind of zinger was that

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

'Killing the kids in the hospital' is different enough from 'killing the kids in a forest somewhere' that I didn't really see them trying to capture rather than shoot at the end to be a big discrepancy. I assume the company wanted to euthanize them in a lab setting so they can get a fresh autopsy or something. Destroying the company property in the field might mean a much lower return on investment. None of that's stated in the film but eh.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know why some people think that the mutant prophylactic in the corn syrup is affecting Logan and Charles. We know it doesn't do anything to existing mutants because Caliban is unaffected by it. Charles has literal brain problems, which effects his brain powers. Logan is near 200 years old and has all his bones laced with what is/has become a toxic metal, which is why his healing factor is compromised. Further we don't even know how ultra powerful either were before, because we know that all the X- Men films prior are to be treated as unreliably narrated.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The X-men movies are a god drat mess when it comes to continuity and canon.

Someone help me, but I THINK it goes Like this:

Original Trilogy:
Xmen 1-3 with Origins: Wolverine as a prequel

The Wolverine serves as a sequel to 3

Prequel Trilogy:

First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse (note DOFP resets the time line so that Xmen 1-2 of the original timeline occur, but not X3-The Wolverine. This is good, because gently caress X3 and Origins. However I have a huge soft spot for "The Wolverine" so a bit sad that storyline is essentially debunk, cannon-wise)

I am not sure if LOGAN is in this timeline. The first Xmen movie from 2000 is referenced so I want to say yes.

DEADPOOL:
I honestly think this franchise will give no fucks and will exist in whatever timeline it wants to.

Feel free to correct me i'm basing all this on me having watch the movies and nothing else.

It's best if you approach every X media entry as it's own thing with loose continuity with other X media. Logan more or less lets you pick and choose what you want to be cannon, it's not really important. Honestly more attempts at cinematic universes should do the same: Loose continuity where the needs of the current film are more important than making sure everything fits together like a giant puzzle.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gyges posted:

Honestly more attempts at cinematic universes should do the same: Loose continuity where the needs of the current film are more important than making sure everything fits together like a giant puzzle.

Marvel is already doing this. "The Redemption of Tony Stark" and then by the next film he's a prick again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marvel is already doing this. "The Redemption of Tony Stark" and then by the next film he's a prick again.

A man has to be what he is, Joey. Can't break the mould. I tried it and it didn't work for me.

• Locked thread