Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Aerdan posted:

In case anyone missed it, here's a nice capsule summary of Uber's fuckedness.

There is also a 31-page document regarding the suit.

Is this really going to go down as the author suggests?
I'm no lawyer but don't these suits usually end with a few slapped wrists and and a fine or two(not that there wouldn't be a large fine)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Skates left the ice. He's gonna be getting a letter from the league about that one!

Habs, and their fans, are fair game :colbert:

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

Security stopped being polite after Monica Seles got stabbed.

Yeah but she got stabbed by a guy that was still in the stands, not someone on the court.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

ultrabindu posted:

I'm no lawyer but don't these suits usually end with a few slapped wrists and and a fine or two(not that there wouldn't be a large fine)?

You're thinking of when big companies break laws. This is Google suing Uber, not some regulation being violated. It could go very bad for Uber.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I see, my mistake.

How bad is very bad?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

Uber is wildly unprofitable. They lost $3,000,000,000 in 2016 alone. They are burning VC cash and losing money on every ride to 1) increase brand awareness and 2) drive out competition from Lyft and traditional taxi services. Investor storytime says that Uber's ultimate path to profitability rests on getting autonomous vehicles up as quickly as possible and firing all their drivers. Acquiring Otto was the lynchpin in getting to that future (and making the investors wealthy). Now that future is in jeopardy.

Uber can continue along without Otto tech but eventually they will run out of suckers willing to pour money into this sinkhole.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

skateboardjesus posted:

Yeah but she got stabbed by a guy that was still in the stands, not someone on the court.

There was this douchebag father and son duo that jumped on the field and assaulted the KC Royals first base coach back in 2002.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/19/1087003/9-19-2002-fans-attack-tom-gamboa

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Glazier posted:

Habs, and their fans, are fair game :colbert:

Wrecked by a zebra, a shameful fan

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Speaking of Uber, they've pulled out of Austin. http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ubers-bad-behaviour-1.4023006

quote:

Uber's absence from Austin is the result of just one of the company's many battles with municipalities, which, in the past, has seen Uber deliberately operate without permission and deceive local authorities. This time around, Uber opted to pull its service from the city entirely after Austin residents voted to pass a regulation requiring ridesharing services to fingerprint drivers as a security precaution. Rather than comply, the company just left.

gently caress you austin, you can't tell me what to do!!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Wrecked by a zebra, a shameful fan

Didn't even have the puck, so that should have been an easy interference call as well. Frankly, I'm embarrassed at the lack of reffing going on in that gif. The fans should be on a 2 minute power play in the very least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Facebook Aunt posted:

Speaking of Uber, they've pulled out of Austin. http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ubers-bad-behaviour-1.4023006

gently caress you austin, you can't tell me what to do!!!!

Didn't that happen a while ago?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Subjunctive posted:

SxSW was the first real test of non-uber/Lyft ride sharing. There are a few companies that followed the Austin rules (finger prints/background checks etc) for ride sharing, but they failed hard. Uber/Lyft managed fine last year.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
what do they think is so expensive about fingerprinting? :psyduck:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Precedent, and friction.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah. The actual Schadenfreude there is that the two companies that popped up to take over ridesharing in Austin went down during SXSW.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Uber doesn't like cities telling them what to do and if they cave and follow austins rules it will open the door. They are not always the most forward thinking company.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uber also had one of their drivers actually stop an attempted mass shooting in Chicago by shooting the perpetrator when he began firing nearby. Uber responded by immediately firing him, as he wasn't allowed to carry a licensed gun while driving for them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm all for gun rights and I love guns, but I don't have a problem with a company firing an employee for carrying a gun when they request you don't.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4afzQyGo5Q

New Pretty Good, because it's the best thing on YouTube. Also, because of the schadenfreude of team putting 258 253 points on DeVry University ( :psyduck: ) in a single basketball game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm all for gun rights and I love guns, but I don't have a problem with a company firing an employee for carrying a gun when they request you don't.

A more reasonable company would also be willing to give a dude a pass when his breaking of the rules literally saved peoples' lives.

Uber's perfectly fine with doing things like acting as scabs in NYC during a taxi driver protest, but Heaven forbid someone violate policies to save people!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's also a massive risk to insert yourself and your firearm into a shooting and Uber doesn't want their drivers acting like vigilantes. Uber sucks but I got no problem with this one.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Goa Tse-tung posted:

The premise of Uber is that normal people can decide, essentially on a whim, to start picking up fares for extra cash. If you make it so people have to go through a fingerprinting process before they can even try it out, they just won't.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

chitoryu12 posted:

Uber also had one of their drivers actually stop an attempted mass shooting in Chicago by shooting the perpetrator when he began firing nearby. Uber responded by immediately firing him, as he wasn't allowed to carry a licensed gun while driving for them.

For every one that stops a shooting, there's one that does the shooting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard enough stories about creepy Uber drivers to really not want an armed Uber driver.

But why make laws when criminals will just ignore them? :downs:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nighthand posted:

For every one that stops a shooting, there's one that does the shooting.

Oh good, taking a detour at guns rights station sounds like a wonderful idea.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
whoops I didn't read

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alereon posted:

The premise of Uber is that normal people can decide, essentially on a whim, to start picking up fares for extra cash. If you make it so people have to go through a fingerprinting process before they can even try it out, they just won't.

The concept of "instantly carpool with strangers" is fantastic for reducing the number of miles driven and thus pulling cars off the road, but what we actually got was "uninsured gypsy taxis" which aren't really taking cars off the road.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only way to stop a bad Uber driver with a gun is a with a good Uber driver with a gun. So Uber drivers are like ninjas, only an Uber driver can kill another Uber driver.

Uber is a funny word.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

The only way to stop a bad Uber driver with a gun is a with a good Uber driver with a gun. So Uber drivers are like ninjas, only an Uber driver can kill another Uber driver.

Uber is a funny word.

Uber drivers will keep killing each other Highlander style until there is but one Uber Uber driver.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard enough stories about creepy Uber drivers to really not want an armed Uber driver.

But why make laws when criminals will just ignore them? :downs:

Because the laws in question are focused on possession/carry of an item which is lawful and can be used for lawful purposes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

canyoneer posted:

The concept of "instantly carpool with strangers" is fantastic for reducing the number of miles driven and thus pulling cars off the road, but what we actually got was "uninsured gypsy taxis" which aren't really taking cars off the road.

Quite the opposite, actually:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-blasts-uber-lyft-downtown-traffic-congestion/

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Uber drivers will keep killing each other Highlander style until there is but one Uber Uber driver.

So no guns, but all Uber drivers should have katanas.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Sure, give them something even more deadly.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Traffic was always bad in SF, at least now you don't have to wait over an hour for the taxi cab just to refuse to take you to your destination.

Taxi's are still the worst drivers in SF too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sunswipe posted:

I'm all for paying less for my journey, but I really don't want short cuts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

canyoneer posted:

https://twitter.com/mims/status/841262927403450369

They just now discovered the concept of "splitting a cab", give them a break

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FCKGW posted:

Uber is wildly unprofitable. They lost $3,000,000,000 in 2016 alone. They are burning VC cash and losing money on every ride to 1) increase brand awareness and 2) drive out competition from Lyft and traditional taxi services. Investor storytime says that Uber's ultimate path to profitability rests on getting autonomous vehicles up as quickly as possible and firing all their drivers. Acquiring Otto was the lynchpin in getting to that future (and making the investors wealthy). Now that future is in jeopardy.

Uber can continue along without Otto tech but eventually they will run out of suckers willing to pour money into this sinkhole.

Why does Uber's business model depend on robot space technology and special snowflake legislation and revolutionary levels of corporate assholishness but Lyft is apparently an existential thread for them while doing none of those things?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Why does Uber's business model depend on robot space technology and special snowflake legislation and revolutionary levels of corporate assholishness but Lyft is apparently an existential thread for them while doing none of those things?

Lyft's profits are increasing and losses are shrinking (about 1/5 of Uber's). The are content to stay the same course they are on now.
Uber's trajectory is going the opposite direction. Losses are growing yoy.

There is also zero risk to drivers if Uber goes under because Lyft exists. Most drivers drive for both anyways and they seem to prefer to drive for Lyft because they allow tipping where Uber does not.
If Uber starts cutting fares more and more to stay afloat and more people keep using Lyft, then you have this death spiral where both your customers and your drivers abandon your platform, and less drivers means longer wait times and longer wait times lead to less customers, etc...

FCKGW has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uber's business model doesn't depend on robotic cars. That's a boondoggle story they sell the investors. Their true business model depends on wiping out all competitors, monopolizing the market so they can raise their rates to a profitable level. That's why literally any other ride-hailing company, regardless ofwhat they're doing, is an existential threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I hate taxis be sure they charge too much and it's impossible to get one when you need one, mostly because they have a virtual monopoly due to licensing.

Having a few sensible restrictions, requierements and a reasonable licensing fee would negate the need for uber. Of course the taxi lobby or whoever's got a financial interest won't let that happen.