Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

all of my 360 controllers had stick drift. i guess its just my luck to get the only broken 360 controllers ever

edit: ive never had a controller straight up break in any context tho what the gently caress are you doing with your controllers dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A friendly reminder that Gravity Rush 2 exists and can be played and enjoyed on your PS4 system!

I loved the first one but I had to abandon GR2 after about 10 hours because the controls/camera were so frustratingly poo poo that I was getting a headache playing the game.

All this talk of Horizon being great is sort of making me want to put Yakuza 0 on the back burner so I can start on Horizon :/ Yakuza is sooooooo loving good though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

all of my 360 controllers had stick drift. i guess its just my luck to get the only broken 360 controllers ever

edit: ive never had a controller straight up break in any context tho what the gently caress are you doing with your controllers dude

I still have two Xbox360 wireless controllers from like 2008 with one having a slight loose stick (but doesn't register imput so it's fine) and a wired ome on my PC. I've played thousands of hours and they work fine. At the other hand my xbone controller with only 500 hours of DS2 and the first hundred of DS3 has a broken RB so I can't attack...

Gamepads are a hell of a thing and I only ever broke a PS2 one I used on my PC years ago, and well, a 1st gen Xbone one.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I've finished up the main quests of Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone, 100 hours in, and still 200 undiscovered locations on the map :psyduck:

How long is Blood & Wine?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MZ posted:

I've finished up the main quests of Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone, 100 hours in, and still 200 undiscovered locations on the map :psyduck:

How long is Blood & Wine?

Most the undiscovered locations in Witcher 3 are pointless busywork with nothing of value in them. Just skip them.

I think Blood & Wine took me something like 20-30 hours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was very happy that gr2 was over at the credits what post game did i miss and is it any different from the game i was disappointed by?Ive been hanging onto the disc for the free dlc

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have two 360 controllers with stick drift and one of the early model DS4s with some left analog stick issues (I have one of the newer ones that works just fine, though). my two PS3 controllers both work fine, and I've probably used those the most. my DS2s have a little stick drift but less noticeable than the 360 controllers.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Real hurthling! posted:

I was very happy that gr2 was over at the credits what post game did i miss and is it any different from the game i was disappointed by?Ive been hanging onto the disc for the free dlc

The first time the credits roll is a fakeout

There's a whole other chapter afterwards that pretty conclusively wraps up Kat as a character

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

The first time the credits roll is a fakeout

There's a whole other chapter afterwards that pretty conclusively wraps up Kat as a character

so the follow the mysterious person thing after the credits is not just a post game quest its an entire quest line?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Real hurthling! posted:

so the follow the mysterious person thing after the credits is not just a post game quest its an entire quest line?

I mean

it's the last chapter of the game

so... yes???

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the first credits in GR2 are an intentional joke at the expense of the first game.

You fight a big boss in the middle of Vendecentre that comes more or less out of nowhere and then smash cut to credits and nothing really gets resolved. Then the game says "Ahaha, wouldn't it be crazy if we did that again? Anyway here's the actual climactic plot wrap-up, and a proper ending."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ill play more but only if there are no more boring levels with the hands that point where to go

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't decide if I should try to resurrect my failed attempt at getting into GR2 or just trade it in to get Neir.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Gravity rush 2 is worse than the original because it kept all the same problems while being 4 times as long.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Day of the Tentacle on PS4 is SOOOO good, what an excellent remaster. You all probably have it free from PS+

I just started it cos I think I'm giving up on Rise of Tomb Raider, the story is doing nothing for me.

I actually forgot I have this, thanks. I never finished the original as a kid so this is double plus good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nier is godlike

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

nier is godlike

Yeah seems like a much less polarizing game I'm probably just gonna cut my losses on GR2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought about buying Nier today, but honestly I think I should probably actually finish a game for once. I'm still working on Horizon, Yakuza 0, and The Ezio Trilogy (AssCreed 2 is a lot better than I remember, dang)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got GR Wildlands because some coworkers are playing it and... I got hooked. The game isn't going to blow any mind but if you like FC3/4 open world, taking outposts, great weapon customization and a Just Cause 2 feel (yes, you can slap C4 on a car and drive it to a building), you can enjoy Wildlands. I'm sure that repetition can kill this game but the shooting is actually nice and you can drive/pilot anything wich is a plus. I'm mixing it with God of War III and some Destiny so I feel like I have content for a looong time.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I thought about buying Nier today, but honestly I think I should probably actually finish a game for once. I'm still working on Horizon, Yakuza 0, and The Ezio Trilogy (AssCreed 2 is a lot better than I remember, dang)

I am right there with you bro, I've got Horizon arriving tomorrow, Assassins Creed: Syndicate came today, I'm only 2 chapters deep in Yakuza and about halfway through Titanfall 2.

And what did I play when I got home from work? Bloodborne and Rocket League :classiclol:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm really enjoying HZD right now, is it worth to grab all the collectibles or is it just another time sink?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm really enjoying HZD right now, is it worth to grab all the collectibles or is it just another time sink?

Grabbing all of any given category gives you a trophy, and a non-unique randomly rolled loot box. Each one also comes with a bit of backstory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rad Valtar posted:

The collectibles in Horizon aren't very oppressive, and they often end up near scenic vistas for photo mode. It's a very easy game to Plat if you care about such things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm only five hours into Horizon so it hasn't totally grabbed me yet, but Nier is fuckin' aces.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I haven't bothered buying HZD or Yakuza 0 yet, because I have Nier.

Nier is really drat good, guys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

They take you to some cool places on the map. Worth it imo but don't feel obligated if you feel burned out, because they mostly just amount to a trophy and some unremarkable loot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The one collectible you absolutely want to get is the Vantage Points. They give you a chunk of well-written lore and they have their own little backstory. View their details in your notebook.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

The one collectible you absolutely want to get is the Vantage Points. They give you a chunk of well-written lore and they have their own little backstory. View their details in your notebook.

I think the places you have to go for, and the story behind, the Bannuk figures is at least as good as the Vantage stuff.

The Flowers have poems and a lot of them are just sitting on the ground so one might as well grab them if you're near one.

The coffee cups are totally pointless though, no lore at all

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I got GR Wildlands because some coworkers are playing it and... I got hooked. The game isn't going to blow any mind but if you like FC3/4 open world, taking outposts, great weapon customization and a Just Cause 2 feel (yes, you can slap C4 on a car and drive it to a building), you can enjoy Wildlands. I'm sure that repetition can kill this game but the shooting is actually nice and you can drive/pilot anything wich is a plus. I'm mixing it with God of War III and some Destiny so I feel like I have content for a looong time.

The amount of ballistic details on some things is still impressing the hell out of me. Shooting at a fire extinguishers, packages of bottled water, some poker chips on a table, tires on cars, birds, just about every object has a unique reaction to it being struck. :allears:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Video Nasty posted:

The amount of ballistic details on some things is still impressing the hell out of me. Shooting at a fire extinguishers, packages of bottled water, some poker chips on a table, tires on cars, birds, just about every object has a unique reaction to it being struck. :allears:
There's a ton of this in The Division too - you can shoot swears/pictures of Dickbutt into cloth, plastic, or cars. Lots of destruction physics including little pieces of material flying. Really nice touches.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Yeah, it wasn't until after I collected like the fifth one of these that I saw there were longer written entries associated with them. I don't normally read long books or text dumps in games (gently caress skyrim) but I really got into the story these things told. I would have loved for Aloy to have commented on it like she does on, like, every other object and event in the game

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
can someone explain the appeal of nier, i know basically nothing about the game, mechanics, what it plays like, story etc.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look it up?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last night I finished Nier.

gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ex post facho posted:

can someone explain the appeal of nier, i know basically nothing about the game, mechanics, what it plays like, story etc.

the first game or the new one?

the new one is a platinum 3rd person character action game in a zone-based ocarina of time style open world with busy work side quests and a yoko taro (read: very weird) main plot.

its pretty much gamings ambrosia

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know anything about Nier either but I am excited to play a new Platinum game!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ex post facho posted:

Highly varied gameplay that seamlessly blends stylish-action (with Automata, traditional hack and slash otherwise) mechanics with bullet hell shooting mechanics, played in 3-D and backed by an incredible soundtrack. Both Nier games have storylines that are legitimately deeply thought-provoking, and Automata specifically has a brilliant scenario that uses a video game medium to explore concepts like war, loyalty, the meaning of life and death, the cost of free will, and so much more.

They aren't perfect games. The first Nier was very drab, gameplay-wise, although it had fan-loving-tastic boss battles. Automata has, in my opinion, very solid and fun gameplay but many action game purists have complained that it is too shallow for them.

The games feature uncharacteristically good voice acting and writing overall. The first Nier's vocal performances, especially for Kaine and Devola/Popola are really top-notch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how you don't mention weiss' va is very odd

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Liam O'Brien is so good in the first Nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I read the LP over the weekend and it sounds like a textbook cult game- a lot of people will be turned off by one faulty aspect or another but some will find it everything they ever hoped for to the point that they're unable to process how anyone doesn't. Its strength seems to be its writing and ability to subvert your expectations at every turn, especially your expectation that you're doing something righteous and worthwhile at any given moment.