Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

Would Kessel being in the net and told that he doesn't get hotdogs if he loses work as a replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

If you're gonna cheer for an evil team out of the West you might as well go all in and cheer for the Hawks. At least they have a chance of winning the Cup.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shyduck posted:

Flyers drop their 3rd straight, all in regulation. They were tied going into the final period of each game.

1 for 8 on PP tonight, 2 for their last 22. They had no shots on their last power play at the tail end of the game with the goalie pulled. They also had no shots on an albeit slightly brief 5 on 3.

I'm not sure what has to be done, but it's probably going to be the same bullshit next season.

I hate to say it but Giroux's contract is really gonna gently caress things up for the foreseeable future unless they can offload him to a team with cap space. Unless it's Hakstol's system that's causing him to be less effective, which maybe it is. I don't even know any more to be honest. I haven't watched a ton the last couple months just because of how frustratingly bad the hockey has been.

If you had to pick your players to absolutely keep right now, who do you take? Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Mason? Weal has looked okay too from what I've seen?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mason's likely gone after this year. They knew they'd have to choose one and it seems like they cast their lot with Neuvy. Lord knows why.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Kilza posted:

If you're gonna cheer for an evil team out of the West you might as well go all in and cheer for the Hawks. At least they have a chance of winning the Cup.

Yeah tbh I just root for whichever team is playing the best hockey in the playoffs. Usually winds up being the hawks. Such is life

Grebo
Mar 29, 2012

2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019

BRUINS DEFENSE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think Crosby will. 6 in the next 15 games seems reasonable. He might be the only one though.

I could see Marchand, Tarasenko, or Malkin getting there too, but they all need 8. Malkin and Marchand have been so good lately though that I could see them pulling it off. Haven't seen enough of Laine to say either way. I don't think anyone else with 30+ goals will make it.

Marchand just got a hattie against Vancouver. 35 total now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

Mason's likely gone after this year. They knew they'd have to choose one and it seems like they cast their lot with Neuvy. Lord knows why.

Hextall doesn't want to be responsible for Gudas shooting him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

Hextall doesn't want to be responsible for Gudas shooting him.

Wouldn't it then make more sense for Hextall to choose Mason...?

Also holy god the Sedins are bad these days.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ok now i think Marchand is definitely hitting 40

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I hate to say it but Giroux's contract is really gonna gently caress things up for the foreseeable future unless they can offload him to a team with cap space. Unless it's Hakstol's system that's causing him to be less effective, which maybe it is. I don't even know any more to be honest. I haven't watched a ton the last couple months just because of how frustratingly bad the hockey has been.
I've gotten more comfortable with the thought that unless something changes, Giroux will be on another team within the couple of years. I don't think he's untouchable anymore. He's going to be out of his prime by the time this team is ready to contend.

edit: $8.2M cap hit the next few seasons, ugh

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 14, 2017

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Buffalo has the best powerplay in the NHL

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Buffalo has the best powerplay in the NHL

That's cool imo

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Duke Chin got his bourgeois beer

Also he has a good shirt

A deal's a deal and kalenn came through so he's good in my book

Good hanging with you for the short couple minutes we did :reject::respek::v:

Also watching Marchand droppin a hatty, empty net be it may, on the Canucks of all teams was magnifique

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

If you had to pick your players to absolutely keep right now, who do you take? Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Mason? Weal has looked okay too from what I've seen?

Sanheim and Stolarz. Weal does look a lot better this year. Personally, Provorov is the only good thing to happen for the Flyers this year.

I'll miss Mason. This year wasn't a great year for him, but I still think he would be the better choice for the next year or two.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sanheim and Stolarz. Weal does look a lot better this year. Personally, Provorov is the only good thing to happen for the Flyers this year.

I'll miss Mason. This year wasn't a great year for him, but I still think he would be the better choice for the next year or two.

Yeah they're keeping Stolarz. They knew they really wanted to protect Stolarz and Lyon.

Konecny's looked great since coming back from injury. I'm pretty excited to see what more of the young guns can do.

E: I never actually watched the video of that winning goal from the 8 OT game in Norway. That folksy goal music is goddamn amazing.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 14, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
most important annual hockey video event on earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2704OHdFVew

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

iospace posted:

Regarding potentially no 40 goal scorers: I'm fine with that on one hand.

On the other hand, a household name like Gretzky could potentially do wonders for the sport. That's something hockey sorely lacks compared to the other three major sports.

Hockey actively tries to stamp out "household name" guys, so does baseball.

The cover of this year's MLB video game is Ken Griffey Jr because he's the only fun baseball player of the last 30 years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hockey actively tries to stamp out "household name" guys, so does baseball.

The cover of this year's MLB video game is Ken Griffey Jr because he's the only fun baseball player of the last 30 years

The "emotionless hockey robot" thing is a very legit knock but holy poo poo does baseball have the market loving cornered on stamping out anyone who dares to have a shred of personality.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/841471815033724928

V:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH01FhqMdc8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ya boy Werenski is impressive

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like you, FAS, but I didn't see the game because I was finding out the girl I thought was into me wasn't :suicide: and :laffo: what the hell happened on that Atkinson/Saad 2-on-0 breakaway?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wasn't paying attention to team colors but when I saw the goalie start to protect the trapezoid instead of the goal crease, I knew it had to be MAF.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like you, FAS, but I didn't see the game because I was finding out the girl I thought was into me wasn't :suicide: and :laffo: what the hell happened on that Atkinson/Saad 2-on-0 breakaway?

Always prioritize hockey over chicks. Always.

Sorry dude 😕

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hockey will never leave you*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is the litmus test for a relationship, if he/she encourages you to enjoy the game then they're a keeper. If they're in the "ughhhh how can you watch that stuff" camp then you gotta rethink things.

That's your life advice for the day!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RIP Smytty.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I wasn't paying attention to team colors but when I saw the goalie start to protect the trapezoid instead of the goal crease, I knew it had to be MAF.

If he goes to Vegas you should put money on him letting in the first shot they ever face because he lets in the first shot of a game quite a bit. It's a decent bet to make imo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Saad tried to steal and him and Atkinson both broke down the ice before Saad had the puck. Luckily it went right back to the defense, who shot it up the middle of the ice to Atkinson. It was luck, honestly. Could've been really bad if Philly had gotten the puck back.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 14, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Flyers Defense is what happened :manning:

xzzy posted:

Hockey is the litmus test for a relationship, if he/she encourages you to enjoy the game then they're a keeper. If they're in the "ughhhh how can you watch that stuff" camp then you gotta rethink things.

~MY GIRLFRIEND~ is not a sports person by any means, but one lazy Saturday we were channel surfing and I asked her if she wanted to see one period of the Flyers game. She knows nothing about hockey and I told her I wouldn't say anything for 10 minutes and just let her absorb what she could and see how she liked it.

5 minutes in I hear "this... is actually pretty awesome."

E: Tonight's Jets/Devils game has been rescheduled to March 28th.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

~MY GIRLFRIEND~ is not a sports person by any means, but one lazy Saturday we were channel surfing and I asked her if she wanted to see one period of the Flyers game. She knows nothing about hockey and I told her I wouldn't say anything for 10 minutes and just let her absorb what she could and see how she liked it.

be careful. My wife was this exact same way and then wanted to watch it all the time and started to think she was an expert and it turned into having to listen to lovely hockey opinions during every game. The bloom came off that rose fast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

be careful. My wife was this exact same way and then wanted to watch it all the time and started to think she was an expert and it turned into having to listen to lovely hockey opinions during every game. The bloom came off that rose fast.

Yeah she's stil not much of a sports person but she can at least now understand why I like it, which is just about perfect.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DJExile posted:

Put a ring on it brother

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I ask my wife for "coaching advice" because it's hilarious. She's had hockey on TV her whole life (lots of canadian family) so she understands the game and it's one of our running jokes.. she always spouts off some stereotypical hockey coach babble like "need more hustle" or "get more pucks on net."

Spouses that like hockey are the best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I ask my wife for "coaching advice" because it's hilarious. She's had hockey on TV her whole life (lots of canadian family) so she understands the game and it's one of our running jokes.. she always spouts off some stereotypical hockey coach babble like "need more hustle" or "get more pucks on net."

hahahaha that rules

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i like it when aphrodite has cute little hockey opinions

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Spouses that play hockey are the best.

ftfy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

She's the one I went to Isles/CBJ with a couple weeks ago. She has a small collection of Blackhawks and Sabres jerseys and was considering either a Saad or Dubinsky shirzee to start the local collection. :( (e- Joke's on her, though- I was going to buy one of them for her birthday if things kept trending upward. There's $35+tax toward the playoffs. :getin:)

She even would've borrowed a CBJ jersey to wear; I'd thought of bringing an extra but didn't want to look like a dumbass in case she didn't care, but she said she definitely would've rocked one of my extras. :negative:

She busted my balls about being a NASCAR fan, but I'm used to that.

She's primarily a post-2010 Blackhawks fan, though, with a side dish of Sabres having lived there for a while.

xzzy posted:

So your wife is the resident Don Cherry?

BOY I TELL YA THIS GOOD CANADIAN KID HERE...WATCH THIS HERE...WATCH SEE WATCH THIS HERE...BOOM.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

i like it when aphrodite has cute little hockey opinions

Uh oh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm picturing this coming up in everyday conversation and I love it

"Hey, what do you want to make for this potluck?"
"Well we just gotta stick to our gameplan..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Apparently Mark Streit got hit in the balls last game or something so even the Pens' replacement d are getting hurt now. It's kinda stupid how this team can have like half of its roster out and still keep winning year after year.

e: for reference

hurt:

Matt Cullen C Undisclosed
03/14/17 Patric HornqvistRW Concussion
03/14/17 Mark Streit D Lower Body
03/12/17 Carl Hagelin LW Lower Body
03/08/17 Kris Letang D Upper Body
03/07/17 Bryan Rust RW Arm
02/23/17 Trevor Daley D Knee
02/17/17 Olli Maatta D Hand

Four top six d and three top nine forwards plus our best fourth liner :psyduck:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 14, 2017