Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Carter began the trend of President's running away from a base progressive platform and intentionally muddying left wing legislation that had a strong chance of surviving Congress.

if the history of america begins at carters presidency sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

We don't mean "liberal" as in "liberal vs. conservative." Most of the rest of the world doesn't use the Fox News definition of liberal.

To be honest, I feel like the American left definition of liberal isn't quite the same as the traditional international definition Liberal either.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Also, I hate to ask this, but you do realize that liberals haven't had a president in charge since Carter, right? Obama was a centrist and so was Clinton. I guess those liberal Bushes were the ones wrecking things for honest hard-working Americans?

Liberals ARE centrists

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
in my years of studying politics i've found the parsing of the definitions of leftist vs. liberal vs. centrist to be in the top 5 most productive, meaningful and enlightening conversations

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
hey, bet you didn't know this:

in EUROPE, the DEMOCRATS would be the conservatives

did i just blow your mind

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I know I sound exactly like what I am, a newcomer who's gushing, but I have to say, this Bill Corbett episode where they tear down Dinesh D'Souza's awful HITLERY!!! film is fantastic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's fine, let us experience the vicarious thrill of reliving the Dry Boys' best bits through you.

"We're in the Zone Now" remains my favorite.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to wipe my brain and hear the Dale Earnhardt bit for the first time every day of my life.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Crotch posted:

I want to wipe my brain and hear the Dale Earnhardt bit for the first time every day of my life.

The bit with Hillary saying "I may not be Dale Earnhardt...", right? I re-listened to that the other day and burst out laughing at the grocery store. Empty aisle, fortunately.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah. I know everyone's in love with Brendan's impressions and the Gorka phone call, but I don't think anything will ever top that cold open for me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Jimmy Carter began the implementation of neoliberalism, and said a bunch of insanely racist poo poo to win a gubernatorial primary

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe there were larger forces than the politics of one man in the oval office, like oil imports and the petrodollar. But what do I know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

exmarx posted:

Jimmy Carter began the implementation of neoliberalism, and said a bunch of insanely racist poo poo to win a gubernatorial primary

And he encouraged evangelicals to vote and get involved in politics.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
big fan of my lai as well

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Carter also gave arms and aid to the mujaheddin with the intention of provoking the USSR to intervene in Afghanistan

Here's Big Man Brzezinski on whether that might have, uh, not been a great idea:

quote:

Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn't believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don't regret anything today?

B: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter. We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic fundamentalism, having given arms and advice to future terrorists?

B: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

There doesn't have to be a 'good' administration, you know

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bryter posted:

What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

LOL forever and ever and ever

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/841757481206448128

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Shatila Mindset

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/841801848407367680/

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Did Sam Kriss writing this because he had a bitter break up with dril?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bookmarking that for future use.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I Before E posted:

Second is Michael Tracey, who went in too deep with irony during the campaign, and final form is Jeet Heer, the resident irony nerd of the New Republic. He tweets a lot, and is charmingly care given how much he seems to enjoy Chapo humor.

Bryter posted:

I wouldn't say Tracey went in too deep on irony, he just flew too close to the contrarian sun and crash landed on mount Hitchens

So what did Michael Tracey do?

cat doter posted:

I would argue that the internet as a system of communication trends towards tribalism when it comes to political thought since systems influence behaviour and humans are assholes which makes political discourse more extreme

and also im gay

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

So what did Michael Tracey do?

for the past year or so he's made a career out of pulling out the Pedant's Guide to Politics every time someone dares to compare Trump to a fascist or whatever and in doing so has gathered a following of pepe people

also he apparently was a (the?) Jim Webb supporter lol

Bryter fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

look i can't control who decides to follow me. if a bunch of Nazis love my posts that's coincidental

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't Vice drop him a few months back for publishing Lena Dunham's home address, too?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes, to prove some weird point on how Lena didn't vote so she couldn't tell others to vote.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kunster posted:

Yes, to prove some weird point on how Lena didn't vote so she couldn't tell others to vote.

For whatever reason the guys who get really mad at Kept_Simple turn out to be grade-a shitheads so I tend to trust his take when he says that somebody sucks online.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Kunster posted:

Wait, she didn't vote?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
While Trump is out here playing 7-dimensional chess, Rachel Maddow is playing 8-dimensional chess
https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/841826418958962688

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

unbutthurtable posted:

Wait, she didn't vote?

I mean, I think this is secondary to her being an incestuous child rapist. But no, she didn't.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's weird how obsessed conservative media outlets are with attacking celebrities.

Here conservatives attack celebrities while liberals attack actual politicians. Unfortunately I suspect this is partly because there aren't enough democrats in office to attack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

I mean, I think this is secondary to her being an incestuous child rapist. But no, she didn't.
I can't believe I held my nose and voted for Hillary but #1 Hillary Superfan Lena Dunham didn't.

I'm not mad. The thought of anyone being genuinely inspired by Hillary Clinton feels like a glimpse of a painfully bright sun on a bitterly cold winter day.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Huh. That is genuinely surprising. I don't have much reaction beyond that. But, really? She didn't vote for Athena?

Edit:
Apparently there's some poo poo about her not being a registered Dem so she couldn't have voted in the primaries but she said she did and then it all stops being at all interesting.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 15, 2017

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

I wish we didn't repeat the dumbest things in here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
any moment of your life spent thinking about Lena Dunham is a wasted moment which you could have spent thinking about politics or video games or whether chili should have beans in it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's weird how obsessed conservative media outlets are with attacking celebrities.

Here conservatives attack celebrities while liberals attack actual politicians. Unfortunately I suspect this is partly because there aren't enough democrats in office to attack.

They probably just took a poll off of reddit since those guys really really hate her.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Nawid posted:

I wish we didn't repeat the dumbest things in here.

It's true and no amount of excuses normalizes that she molested her sister and spent years grooming her for future abuse.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It's true and no amount of excuses normalizes that she molested her sister and spent years grooming her for future abuse.

I agree. Beans definitely belong in chili and if you think otherwise you're probably a child abuser.

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
Does everybody here also listen to The Dollop? I just started and their live show in CO about the Colorado Labor War is a pro af listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Walka Blocka Shame posted:

Does everybody here also listen to The Dollop? I just started and their live show in CO about the Colorado Labor War is a pro af listen.

I haven't really kept up but some of their earlier episodes are amazing. Hugh Glass in particular is great. I'll check this one out.