Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, those Konami arcade beat em up's were pretty awful coin munchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQNoTuy-QBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eczf2ib3OTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Earth Table posted:

Now I feel bad because I feel like I was partly responsible for this unproductive derail.

What games are those of you with snow days playing today? After I finish some coding stuff it's making my way through more BOTW. I might also dabble in some Battlefield 1 as a change pace. Thanks for listening.

It's lovely and sunny outside but my contract ends on Friday and I'm going to play so much Stardew Valley

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

i work at a hispanic middle school and they all quote "DANK YOUTUBE MEMES" constantly as well. its just how kids are these days

I feel like there is a line that can be drawn between "dank youtube memes" and anti-semitism.
Like I get that the internet has always been full of toxic shitstains but arguing that those toxic communities are not more mainstream and accessible than they have ever been in the past is just willful ignorance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it bad that I automatically pronounce "memes" as "maymays" in my head when it's proceeded by "dank?" Like outside of that context I know how to pronounce the word meme, but in that context it just seems wrong to use the real word.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Now watch me whip

Now watch me meme

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I finished the water dungeon in BotW last night and it was really, really cool. That was the first time I thought "wow" multiple times while going through a thing. I'm getting into the groove of this game.

same, I was pretty surprised and proud of myself figuring out how to get on the trunk terminal.

Arrows are so required in so many parts of the game I'm starting to think I should buy like a 100-arrow bulk now

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As per usual all of these issues are infinitely more complex and interconnected than people want to paint them. There's a vast spectrum running from "actual racism and antisemitism" all the way down to "quotes memes with friends because that's what all teenagers ever have done yes even you it's just they were called dumb and dumber and Austin powers quotes back then". Lots of stuff in between. Kids can even yell jokes in one part of the spectrum while actually holding beliefs in another part.

I know it's crazy, but they're very similar to you and your friends when you were teenagers!

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pathologic remake has a free demo on Steam now. It's also self-contained story separate from the main game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

same, I was pretty surprised and proud of myself figuring out how to get on the trunk terminal.

Arrows are so required in so many parts of the game I'm starting to think I should buy like a 100-arrow bulk now

I make a point to go pick up ones in dungeons that I've shot and it makes it pretty easy to keep a decent stock... unless I get into a "shoot monsters in the head" mood and my stock dwindles and I have to ease up on them for a while.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mutata posted:

As per usual all of these issues are infinitely more complex and interconnected than people want to paint them. There's a vast spectrum running from "actual racism and antisemitism" all the way down to "quotes memes with friends because that's what all teenagers ever have done yes even you it's just they were called dumb and dumber and Austin powers quotes back then". Lots of stuff in between. Kids can even yell jokes in one part of the spectrum while actually holding beliefs in another part.

I know it's crazy, but they're very similar to you and your friends when you were teenagers!

Yeah, I was gonna reply and say "well we were never loving anti-semites!!!" but then I remembered that we always used "jewed" to describe getting hosed over soooooo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
When we were kids we called poo poo gay and retarded

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish jontron wasn't such a jackass because I like his vids :(

I wonder how jontron's buddies in normal boots feel about any of this, if they have anything to say on it at all. I dunno if jon is even still affiliated with them or not.

a few pages back, but one of his old youtube buddies who was part of that whole group has specifically called him out for saying stupid poo poo and said he's not friends with him anymore

anyway, breath of the wild is a good video game and is my second favorite zelda game ever, i've decided

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 14, 2017

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Colonel posted:

a few pages back, but one of his old youtube buddies who was part of that whole group has specifically called him out for saying stupid poo poo and said he's not friends with him anymore

anyway, breath of the wild is a good video game and is my second favorite zelda game ever, i've decided

And what's the first, friend?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
majora's mask

third is wind waker

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I usually try to separate the art from the artist but JonTron crossed way too many lines and is now just espousing and debating using open racism. And I mean, funny YouTube videos aren't exactly high art to begin with anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I usually try to separate the art from the artist but JonTron crossed way too many lines and is now just espousing and debating using open racism. And I mean, funny YouTube videos aren't exactly high art to begin with anyway.

I've given up on trying to separate the work from its creator anymore. I used to be pretty good at it, but these days I just don't have the patience for it. I'm never going to tell someone not to do that themselves, it just isn't for me. (This isn't to say that I'm going to totally shun the work of anyone whose political opinions I disagree with or if, like, one of the actors involved in a movie happens to be a poo poo outside of it, but at the same time, let's just say I'm not going to see any new Roman Polanski movies and use that as shorthand.)

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Harrow posted:

I've given up on trying to separate the work from its creator anymore. I used to be pretty good at it, but these days I just don't have the patience for it. I'm never going to tell someone not to do that themselves, it just isn't for me. (This isn't to say that I'm going to totally shun the work of anyone whose political opinions I disagree with or if, like, one of the actors involved in a movie happens to be a poo poo outside of it, but at the same time, let's just say I'm not going to see any new Roman Polanski movies and use that as shorthand.)

I can understand that people like Woody Allen movies, but I didn't watch any of them until after all the....weird stuff and since him and his personality is such a big part of his films I try to watch Annie Hall and its this insanely creepy dude and it's unenjoyable and I just don't feel like watching it. I've lived this much just fine without this "classic."

I don't get the separate artist from art thing. You don't gotta do it. It's a personal choice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Totally fair position.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's far less comfortable but much more accurate to understand the artist and the art as one discrete package. Polanski's art has been forever shaped and informed by his own sins, in fact it would be naive to think his body of work stands apart from it. Lovecraft's mythology is inseparable from his profound and paranoid racism. You don't get to pick and choose which pieces of a human being you like. The things you enjoy about an artist and the things you despise are one and the same, although it leads to some rather uneasy (although true) conclusions such as, "Lovecraft's art was memorable BECAUSE of his racism."

This has nothing to do with JonTron btw.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

When we were kids we called poo poo gay and retarded

Homophobia was also way more culturally tolerated back then, among kids and adults alike. And today we have adults that legit identify openly and politically with loving neo-nazis.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, I was gonna reply and say "well we were never loving anti-semites!!!" but then I remembered that we always used "jewed" to describe getting hosed over soooooo
I never said that but as kids we would say 'gypped' and people still say gypped today and actually "Gypsy curse" is still a joke I hear in podcasts and stuff, which I think is unfortunate

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

raditts posted:

And today we have adults that legit identify openly and politically with loving neo-nazis.

Nothing has changed in that regard. They're just calling themselves alt-right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hbomberguy had a pretty fun "gently caress JonTron" video a month or so ago and I'm kind of hoping we get a full video just on JonTron's bullshit now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_vIqMiHK0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

I never said that but as kids we would say 'gypped' and people still say gypped today and actually "Gypsy curse" is still a joke I hear in podcasts and stuff, which I think is unfortunate

Yeah, the "gypsy curse" concept I'd say is something that is even still considered culturally acceptable which is kind of hosed up, but I think that owes more to a combination of Romani not being a "real thing" to many people (i.e. "gypsies" exist more as a fantasy concept / urban legend to them, like witches; see also: common perceptions of voodoo) and not knowing the origin of the term "gypped" (which I didn't say often, but didn't know until I was well into my twenties).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
loving commulists.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Are you sure it's not just a roundabout reference to the film Thinner?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mfcrocker posted:

South Park is more or less directly responsible for re-introducing casual antisemitism for anyone born after 1980, which makes its creators publicly wringing their hands about how they can't believe how hosed-up everything is that much stupider.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ah yes, the scourge of antisemitism would have been wiped off the face of the Earth altogether were it not for the popular television show, "South Park."

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
People getting so worked up about Sterling giving Zelda a middling review are dumb, but he said Dead Rising 4 was very good, which is sincerely the worst and most offensive opinion a person can have. He deserves the DDOS

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Ah yes, the scourge of antisemitism would have been wiped off the face of the Earth altogether were it not for the popular television show, "South Park."

North Americans might have not given a poo poo about "gingers" if it hadn't been for that show, though. Swear I never heard the term or thought twice about redheads before that show.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/841408151459155968

idk why people give them attention. It's very easy to not have racist youtube celebrities be a part of your life

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

which alien are you guys going to gently caress first in Mass Effect Andromeda, Prince Catface Fatneck, or the scaly-faced catlizard lady

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lobok posted:

North Americans might have not given a poo poo about "gingers" if it hadn't been for that show, though. Swear I never heard the term or thought twice about redheads before that show.

I never once heard the word "gingers" used to refer to redheads in America before that episode.

Help Im Alive posted:

idk why people give them attention. It's very easy to not have racist youtube celebrities be a part of your life

It's very easy to not have any youtube celebrities be a part of your life, but this is the world we live in now and the kids watch these jackasses on their youtubes, so

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 14, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

which alien are you guys going to gently caress first in Mass Effect Andromeda, Prince Catface Fatneck, or the scaly-faced catlizard lady

I'm watching this PS4 stream from Polygon and everything looks very... last-gen. And boring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This thread is loving awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite part abou all the fantastic games that have come out in the last few weeks is uhhhhh I saw a guy on YouTube was racist. Y'all seen South Park

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/841408151459155968

The thing with Jontron is that the (public) racism is a pretty new thing for him. For a long time he was just a guy who made videos people liked.

When someone you like turns out to be an insane racist it's pretty natural to talk about it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

This thread is loving awesome.

*In Macklemore voice* nier doesn't hit till Friday.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

Prince Catface Fatneck

When they revealed what the females of his species look like I legitimately thought it was a photoshop until I saw it in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

My favorite part abou all the fantastic games that have come out in the last few weeks is uhhhhh I saw a guy on YouTube was racist. Y'all seen South Park

be the change u want to see in the world, friend

let's talk about Nier Automata which is a Platinum game that makes you want to kill everything and then swiftly makes you feel horrid for killing these innocent robots trying to protect a fake robot child. Gotta think Yoko Taro did this on purpose knowing how fun combat would be, then taking away your satisfaction about owning these poor fuckers.

Guy Mann posted:

When they revealed what the females of his species look like I legitimately thought it was a photoshop until I saw it in motion.

it's literally just the male model stretched and squeezed over an hourglass figure, poo poo is batshit

• Locked thread