Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

MKG is (was?) one of maybe three or four guys under 6'10 you can build a defense around. MKG with better offense and mechanics is a very enticing prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

Jackson is probably the guy I'm most enamored with in the draft if I'm honest and basically have to force myself to remember his shooting and Fultz to stop myself from being foolish.

Well, I'm pretty high on Markkanen too but I know that's homerism.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Josh Jackson is a less broken MKG, which is a borderline all-star player.

Josh Jackson also doesn't throw his body after loose balls like he's been kicked out of a speeding car, so he should stay healthier than MKG

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Josh Jackson is a less broken MKG, which is a borderline all-star player.

yeah he owns

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Josh Jackson also doesn't throw his body after loose balls like he's been kicked out of a speeding car, so he should stay healthier than MKG

only one way to go after loose balls if you want to be great

i'm the camera guy filming the floor cause I'm flinching away in terror

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah I could definitely could see Boston taking him #1

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

aBagorn posted:

Yeah I could definitely could see Boston taking him #1

Markelle Fultz would mean they could trade one of Avery/Smart/or even IT for a big haul of picks, I think their contracts are both expiring pretty soon, and it means they wouldn't have to lose all their shot creation in offense/defense situations. I think he's pretty hard to resist. I''lll have to watch more condensed Washington games on yotube to really know for sure. IT is an amazing offensive player and he can get something from nothing all the time, but he's tiny and in the playoffs that matters.

Fultz ideally is a nearly perfect contemporary NBA pg, he shoots threes off the dribble with ease, he finds open teammates off of penetration, he converts at the rim, and he's athletic and long enough to give his helpers and bigs those extra half seconds to get into position. IT also went to Washington, maybe they can get some alumni synergy with Fultz playing off ball, or vice versa.

I'm not ready to give up on my "Jaylen brown might be a bust or it might take 4 years for him to be decent" prediction, but they're stocked up on tweener forwards with Crowder, Brown, Then potentially Josh Jackson. You could argue that gives them a better chance against aging Lebron. Detroit beats Cleveland when Cleveland doesn't shoot 50% on three pointers because they have so many big wings to throw at Lebron.

I wish Dennis Smith wasn't on such an awful team, because he looks so good at times. His three point shooting is awful but his ft% and fg% are solid. mostly he looks like the sort of bombs away wait was that a travel 30 points per game late 90s early 2000s pg. But if he had teammates to pass to, maybe he'd look more like a pure point.

He's a bucket getter and has turbo speed like few guys in the NBA, like younger Lebron, John Wall, Russel Westbrook, where a normal dribble will hit the court and he'll turn the afterburners on and be at the rim, past four guys. His agility and quickness also let him rocket around at weird angles and potentially be a great defender, sort of like Westbrook, you'd want him to stick the plan rather than freelance of course.

Back to Ntilikina, he doesn't seem as zippy as the other guys, but he seems a lot longer. It's hard because in the non camp video he's playing competition between like really good high school team and division 2 college teams, and he easily just drives through a crowd. IT doesn't tell you much about him. In the camp videos you see a bit of his passing, you see his sort of in progress jumper. On defense he's like a more athletic George Hill, obviously without all the knowledge and skill, but he has the desire and body type to be a very good 1/2 defender. I think he'll be a clearly better player than Dennis Schroder, even if he isnt as lightning quick, his length and passing ability make him stand out. That's just an african-german heritage recent NBA player comp and feel free to put me into lazy comp jail over it. Schroder is a waterbug type who hasn't ever turned his wingspan into decent NBA defense, and never really defended before getting to the NBA. Ntilikina sees the game like a pg, he tries on defense, he'll need to make an adjustment to length and speed. Developing a decent three is really important for him, less so than say, Dennis Smith Jr, because he's not a super athlete.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 14, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

in my way too early, hyperbolic opinion Fultz is Dwyane Wade with better passing and three point range. I think he could be a top 20 player all time.

He is also a lot less polished and a bit worse/lazy defensively.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Back to Ntilikina, he doesn't seem as zippy as the other guys, but he seems a lot longer. It's hard because in the non camp video he's playing competition between like really good high school team and division 2 college teams, and he easily just drives through a crowd. IT doesn't tell you much about him. In the camp videos you see a bit of his passing, you see his sort of in progress jumper. On defense he's like a more athletic George Hill, obviously without all the knowledge and skill, but he has the desire and body type to be a very good 1/2 defender. I think he'll be a clearly better player than Dennis Schroder, even if he isnt as lightning quick, his length and passing ability make him stand out. That's just an african-german heritage recent NBA player comp and feel free to put me into lazy comp jail over it. Schroder is a waterbug type who hasn't ever turned his wingspan into decent NBA defense, and never really defended before getting to the NBA. Ntilikina sees the game like a pg, he tries on defense, he'll need to make an adjustment to length and speed. Developing a decent three is really important for him, less so than say, Dennis Smith Jr, because he's not a super athlete.

I really LOVE Ntilikina as a prospect. If the Sixers get both picks this year (and they don't get #1) I really hope they use one on him and one on one of Jackson/Tatum/Isaac

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's a decent comp, but he's much bigger than Schroder (+3" height and +5" standing reach); his physical frame is very analogous to Reggie Jackson's.

I think he'll be much better prepared coming into the league than Schroder was. I think he's a lot more polished than people realize and it's looking like his shot is good enough that he could log time at SG if necessary.

Watch the FIBA U18 videos from December; whoever is teaching him is smart and has focused on running/defending the P+R, 3 point shot, and defense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

in my way too early, hyperbolic opinion Fultz is Dwyane Wade with better passing and three point range. I think he could be a top 20 player all time.

He is also a lot less polished and a bit worse/lazy defensively.

He doesn't have the craftiness of Wade but the ability to slither through a defense at will is there. Shooting threes at a high % off the dribble automatically makes him a good player. He moves like he can feel the game coming to him, like he's anticipating defenders and and knows where his fit are going to tap as he slings around them.
Defense is definitely a question. Hopefully he goes somewhere with a former euroleague tough guy pg to yell at him and get the idea in his head.

quote:

I think he'll be much better prepared coming into the league than Schroder was. I think he's a lot more polished than people realize and it's looking like his shot is good enough that he could log time at SG if necessary.

Watch the FIBA U18 videos from December; whoever is teaching him is smart and has focused on running/defending the P+R, 3 point shot, and defense.

I didn't even really mean it as a comp, just as a sort of reference for an african-heritage german pg with long arms who, on video, walked through german league defenses like they weren't there. Their frames are different, they move differently, and think differently.

You're right, and I'd say he's about as quick/athletic as Reggie Jackson pre knee destruction/ that is to say, pretty good, not incredible.

I think his comp is really a bigger George Hill with better passing, if you had to make a comp. With all the pgs who are really combo guards who are really tiny shooting guards, that's a valuable sort of player to have. Because you could play two guard lineups and not suffer on defense, theoretically. Maybe you could compare him to what Dante Exum was supposed to be but with less emphasis on scoring?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Dennis Smith a lot and if it wasn't for the fact he already had an ACL injury I'd probably be willing to be talked into picking him ahead of Ball.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
How far does UCLA have to progress in order for Lonzo to become consensus #1 pick over Fultz? Or will individual play matter more?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He already has the "he's a winner who knows how to win and wants to win because he's a winner who wins" crowd but really, what happens in the combine and workouts will have a lot more impact than the tournament for smart people. Throw in that he probably has a broken thumb, and he might be better off not playing in the tournament at all.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Khagan posted:

How far does UCLA have to progress in order for Lonzo to become consensus #1 pick over Fultz? Or will individual play matter more?

Fultz would have to die on his couch at home. He's on a whole nother tier

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I like Dennis Smith a lot and if it wasn't for the fact he already had an ACL injury I'd probably be willing to be talked into picking him ahead of Ball.

I think he's had good coaching, because post ACL he moves well, his feet point in the right direction, he lands on two feet and makes little pitter patter steps to disperse force. He doesn't soar when he jumps, like Westbrook or Lavine, but he can jump laterally and cover tons of space without comprising his joints.

The threee questions about him are, will he learn to shoot threes, how is his passing, and will he play defense, and that is the question. there's some sense that he's just not that interested in it, we'll see.

Ball's questions are longer

Can his 15 minute shot work against NBA defenders, is he quick enough to defending opposing pgs/is he agiles/strong enough to defend wings otherwise. Can he get to the basket and convert against NBA defenders. His worst case scenario is Michael Carter Williams, but he's a lot faster and a lot better shooter, and he didn't go to syracuse so it's possible that he'll play defense at some point. They have almost identical bodies, So it really is important that Ball can defend some position or is part of a system that uses his length and minimizes his lack of girth.

I think his floor is high, because Rubio leads pgs in RAPM (ignoring statistical priors and so on bumping him up a bit) despite not being able to make layups and only shooting 35% from three. simply on great passing and defense.

Ball has high basketball iq, he knows how to move his body to shield himself at the basket, he attacks defense when it's asleep, he's a really good basketball player. If his weird 3 point shot works in the NBA, he's a good point guard. I don't know if its possible to be a great NBA pg if you don't make quick off the dribble threes like they're layups, but he could definitely be good. His teammates seem to genuinely be happy to share the floor with him, and that shouldn't be discounted. If your teammates loving hate how you run the team (Reggie Jackson) you hurt your team. I don't see pure Joy in guys playing with Dennis Smith, but there's not that much to see. Markelle Fultz's teammates just seem to shake their heads at the idea that he did what he did.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm not ready to give up on my "Jaylen brown might be a bust or it might take 4 years for him to be decent" prediction,

Have you watched a Celtics game in the last six weeks? You should definitely give it up.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

Have you watched a Celtics game in the last six weeks? You should definitely give it up.
I have, I even put him on my fantasy team. But I need a full year or so before I believe it. He literally couldn't make layups in college despite being incredibly explosive, long, and athletic. He couldn't make layups. And forget jumpers.

He still isn't very good at making layups, his offense comes mostly as a product of IT scrambling defenses with Horford making guys stick to him on the elbow, and catching good passes on cuts, and attacking guys who don't understand how athletic he is to drive around them for dunks. He still can't shoot, his handle is just alright. His upside is that he should be able to defend 1-4. But his good defensive plays come mostly from his body and length, not his mind. His basketball IQ needs to be increased by wearing strobe light glasses or however that's done. That's okay for a rookie. If he wasn't on the celtics he could look as pathetic as Mudiay or someone like that.

He's still a big flashing sign that says POTENTIAL and a bigger flashing sign pointing to the other sign that says BUST??? And then another sign that says Future Solid Role Player in medium type

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have, I even put him on my fantasy team. But I need a full year or so before I believe it. He literally couldn't make layups in college despite being incredibly explosive, long, and athletic. He couldn't make layups. And forget jumpers.

He still isn't very good at making layups, his offense comes mostly as a product of IT scrambling defenses with Horford making guys stick to him on the elbow, and catching good passes on cuts, and attacking guys who don't understand how athletic he is to drive around them for dunks. He still can't shoot, his handle is just alright. His upside is that he should be able to defend 1-4. But his good defensive plays come mostly from his body and length, not his mind. His basketball IQ needs to be increased by wearing strobe light glasses or however that's done. That's okay for a rookie. If he wasn't on the celtics he could look as pathetic as Mudiay or someone like that.

He's still a big flashing sign that says POTENTIAL and a bigger flashing sign pointing to the other sign that says BUST??? And then another sign that says Future Solid Role Player in medium type
February FG% .492 & 3P% .455
March FG% .519 & 3P% .400

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

I Would curtail my expectations. He has the luxury of a good coach and versatile players so that he never has to play outside himself. Making dead open threes is something NBA players should be able to do. Making alley oops and one dribble off a cut is something a person with his body should be able to do.

Just don't get your hopes up and assume he's the next Jimmy Butler. He has a lot to learn and is very exploitable

In a perfect world he learns the game and the Celtics have another player to guard Lebron, and an easy shot maker for when the offense is rolling.

But it's just two months, and players get scouted, numbers drop. Keep your expectations in check

I don't know why I felt the need to rain on your parade. The NBA has made me jaded about rookies who inexplicably look great. Their coaching is good enough that he could be like the Longer more athletic low basketball iq (although he's apparently very book smart) version of Jae Crowder that they need to guard the Cavs and Pistons

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 14, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ainge likes him. I don't think he's going to trade him (of course that depends on what gets offered before the draft). As long as he stays on the team with this coach I expect him to continue to progress. He works hard, first guy at the gym in the morning.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
IT's the one getting traded. Book it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

IT's the one getting traded. Book it.

I think its real likely Boston has a disappointing playoff run because other teams exploit IT. Usually PG defense is the easiest to hide, but I can't remember another player on a playoff team that is so far behind the curve. Maybe Amare, but he'd at least give a few games worth of effort in the playoffs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think they have a disappointing playoff run because of LeBron James, but I don't think IT's defense is going to be much more of a problem than during the regular season. It's so, so, so bad but I always say his defense is slightly less than half as bad as his offense is amazing and he's used to angry dudes trying to body him.

If I were a betting man I'd say IT's playoffs are gonna look way more like J.J. Barea 2011 than Steph Curry 2016. But I'm not because gambling is a sin that rots the soul from its core and also I don't have enough money to gamble.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
If the Suns win the lottery do they have a draft day trade of Bledsoe or do they wait till in-season?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am more curious what IT could even net you in a trade, especially if he is exploited in the playoffs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hand Row posted:

I am more curious what IT could even net you in a trade, especially if he is exploited in the playoffs.

He's handsome, marketable, and relatable, and plays exciting all offense ball. He's worth a lot of money to a team and can produce a great regular season record even if (if, because it hasn't really happened yet) he's an albatross in a playoff series. That's insanely valuable to most teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I think they have a disappointing playoff run because of LeBron James, but I don't think IT's defense is going to be much more of a problem than during the regular season. It's so, so, so bad but I always say his defense is slightly less than half as bad as his offense is amazing and he's used to angry dudes trying to body him.

If I were a betting man I'd say IT's playoffs are gonna look way more like J.J. Barea 2011 than Steph Curry 2016. But I'm not because gambling is a sin that rots the soul from its core and also I don't have enough money to gamble.

If they lost to Toronto or Washington before the ECF, that'd be disappointing. If they get swept by Cleveland, that would be disappointing. If they lose to Cleveland but put up a good fight then that shouldn't be considered disappointing.

I think in the playoffs IT will see more schemes designed to switch him on the ball-handler than the regular season. I think he'll also not get as much benefit of the whistle when he gets knocked around. I expect it will be a difference for him, but I'm willing to be shown I'm wrong.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The cavs would probably do the same thing they did to D. S. Steve Nash,

~ EXPOSE HIM ~

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Charlz Guybon posted:

Known bust Brandon Ingram
Feburary FG% .44 & 3P% .355
March FG% .52 & 3P% .20

Looking at their stats, it looks like the biggest thing I see is that Brown is assisted 60% of his 2pt shots, while ingram is only assisted 37% of the time.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

Known bust Brandon Ingram
Feburary FG% .44 & 3P% .355
March FG% .52 & 3P% .20

Looking at their stats, it looks like the biggest thing I see is that Brown is assisted 60% of his 2pt shots, while ingram is only assisted 37% of the time.

And that Ingram doesn't make his threes but who's looking at that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cool Buff Man posted:

And that Ingram doesn't make his threes but who's looking at that

Hush you

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

In all seriousness, he's been looking a lot better. I wish him success. What the heck's going on with Walton and D'lo though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

Undefeated while starting in the Finals 2011 JJ Barea? Imagine if Curry was undefeated as a Finals starter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the heck's going on with Walton and D'lo though

Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

E: To expand, when Magic Johnson took over as head coach of the team, he had only been casually watching them play, so he went ahead and put the team through preseason-like lineup experimentation to evaluate what he had. It was mid March when he took over the team. What's funnier is that he got the job by telling people that he would inspire the Lakers to make the playoffs before doing this so it wasn't even a tanking thing.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a coach who had used fairly stable lineups when the team was healthy (even if his minute distribution wasn't always stable) suddenly has used a different lineup every other game since Magic took over.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 14, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that a coach who had used fairly stable lineups when the team was healthy (even if his minute distribution wasn't always stable) suddenly has used a different lineup every other game since Magic took over.

Yeah, this is the part that shocked me. Up until a week ago, it seemed like the Lakers had the same sort of (starting anyway) lineup every time I checked the box score or watched a game, and I figured the players must have appreciated it after what they dealt with last season. I wish you luck in dealing with Big Earv.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, this is the part that shocked me. Up until a week ago, it seemed like the Lakers had the same sort of (starting anyway) lineup every time I checked the box score or watched a game, and I figured the players must have appreciated it after what they dealt with last season. I wish you luck in dealing with Big Earv.

Thank you, I think the Lakers are gonna need it. And it's making me super sports-angry like constantly.

My hope is, that it will be like the past and things start to go off the rails he'll bail, because he usually does bail pretty quickly once things turn sour. The Lakers still have Ryan West (there is a story that Jeanie could've had Jerry West back in the helm if she could've waited another six months with just the promise that Ryan would be his successor, but I'm just going to go ahead and pretend it's more Kevin Ding fan fiction for my sanity), who is really good at finding gems in the draft. Also Rob Palinka is by all accounts one of the better agents out there and since a few agents have transitioned into successful GMs I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

---

Slightly more on topic, but Wesley Iwundu looked way better today against Wake Forest than in any of the other games of his that I watched, although I've watched Kansas State the same way every time, which is, in the background, or while analyzing someone else primarily.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chilihead posted:

If the Suns win the lottery do they have a draft day trade of Bledsoe or do they wait till in-season?

Sarver is a cheapskate, so if they could make a trade without taking salary back, get picks and cash, they'd probably do it. Maybe a trade that also got rid of Tyson Chandler.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Undefeated while starting in the Finals 2011 JJ Barea? Imagine if Curry was undefeated as a Finals starter.

Exactly. 2011 Barea was all-time great small dude play. 2016 Curry was nonstop excuses and fans eventually pretending he was injured to explain it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Luka Doncic write up from DX.
https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/842044991899881473

• Locked thread