Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

What is that level of exposure?

Over the entirety of Canada I wouldn't imagine it's higher than 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
this further underscores the urgent need for pipelines

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Notley hits just keep coming.

Why does she hate Alberta so much? :orks:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

What kind of lovely Canadian would admit defeat and throw in the towel when they're a couple hundred grand underwater on their condo? We are going to have a ton of people who dutifully pay their mortgages for years to get back to point of owing the value of their homes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
mortgage debt guarantees citizenship

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/841682010250792960

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Shell has also cancelled and sold all of their Prince Rupert LNG projects, with Kitimat placed into indefinite hiatus, as of last week.

Looks like even our lovely petro dollar can't prop up the industry no more!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

POWERING A STRONG ECONOMY

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle34295792/

quote:

Housing market fires on 3 cylinders: Toronto, Hamilton, even Vancouver

Prices climb

Canada’s housing market is firing on three cylinders, surprisingly including Vancouver, and setting fresh records for the month of February.

The Teranet-National Bank home price index, released Tuesday, showed a gain of 1 per cent from January. That marks the fastest pace for a February in the 18-year history of this measure.

The “increase of unusual magnitude for the season” was largely because of Toronto, where prices climbed 1.9 per cent, Hamilton, up 1.4 per cent, and Vancouver, where sales have slumped but prices still rose 1.4 per cent.

In other markets, Ottawa-Gatineau gained 0.9 per cent, while several cities registered declines: Victoria, down 0.1 per cent, Montreal, down 0.2 per cent, Edmonton and Winnipeg, each down 0.5 per cent, Quebec City, down 0.9 per cent, Calgary, down 1.3 per cent, and Halifax, down 1.9 per cent.

“The declines ended upside runs of 10 months in Victoria, five months in Calgary and four months in Quebec City,” the group said.

“For Winnipeg it was the fourth straight monthly decline,” it added.

“The index for Toronto has risen in each of the last 13 months, the index for Hamilton in each of the last 12 months.”

On an annual basis, the national index rose 13.4 per cent in February from a year earlier, marking the fastest pace since November, 2006.

Here we go: Toronto prices climbed by a record 23 per cent, and Hamilton costs by a record 19.7 per cent.

Victoria gained 15.9 per cent, Vancouver 14.3 per cent, Ottawa-Gatineau 5.3 per cent, Montreal 3.9 per cent, Halifax 2.6 per cent, and Calgary 1 per cent.

Edmonton and Quebec City missed the party, slipping 0.1 and 1.8 per cent, respectively.

Like the monthly reading, the annual price gains were driven by just three cities: Toronto, Hamilton and, on this measure, Victoria.

“The Toronto market is especially worrisome,” said National Bank senior economist Marc Pinsonneault.

“In a city where apartments account for only 26 per cent of home sales, affordability of other types of dwellings has become an accute problem,” he added.

“For various reasons, supply (number of listings) on the home resale market is at an historical low, and this surely contributed to 12-month home price growth exceeding 20 per cent over the last two months for dwellings other than condos.”

We’ll have to see how prices play out in Vancouver, where a provincial tax on foreign buyers of area homes has sparked a huge drop in sales, and where prices on monthly basis have been falling or lagging, according to the index.

The average price of a detached home in Toronto’s core 416 area code now tops $1.5-million, and even semis are going for over $1-million. The surrounding regions are no slouches, either.

We’ll get further evidence on Wednesday when the Canadian Real Estate Association releases its monthly sales report.

We already know from regional reports that Toronto was up and Vancouver down last month.

“In bubble territory, Toronto stayed red-hot in frigid February, with sales climbing a little more than 5 per cent, while prices continue to rocket more than 20 per cent year over year,” said Bank of Montreal senior economist Benjamin Reitzes.

“It looks as though the new mortgage rules, which took effect in the second half of October, didn’t make a dent,” he added.

“Meantime, Vancouver has gone the other way, with sales collapsing about 40 per cent year over year, and price gains slowing sharply.”

And just so you don’t forget what all of this means to your finances, Statistics Canada will tell us what we owe, also on Wednesday.

You can bet that the quarterly report will show a fresh high for the key measure of household debt-to-income.

Actually, best not to bet. You’ll only owe more if, by chance, you lose.

Cars and homes and luxury

Luxury autos appear to be all the rage in Ontario and British Columbia, to go along with those luxury-priced, if often everyday, houses for sale.

A new analysis of the auto market by Bank of Nova Scotia economist Carlos Gomes shows sales of luxury cars and trucks in Canada have climbed 16 per cent so far this year from a year earlier, largely because of those two provinces.

“The Canadian luxury auto market has been heating up in recent months and has accounted for nearly 60 per cent of the year-to-date increase in overall volumes in Canada this year, five times its normal share,” said Mr. Gomes.

“The strength of the luxury market is concentrated in British Columbia and Ontario, the fastest-growing provincial economies.”

Indeed, sales by volume in January surged 25 per cent in B.C. and 15 per cent in Ontario, though Mr. Gomes expects the pace to slow.

lol january is one of the worst months of the year for auto sales what the gently caress is going on

I think we can safely say that the foreign buyer's tax hasn't done poo poo to the housing market.

Fun anecdote, secretary at my wife's work was talking about guys she dates and how they all drive luxury cars but none of them seem to have any money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

Shell has also cancelled and sold all of their Prince Rupert LNG projects, with Kitimat placed into indefinite hiatus, as of last week.

Looks like even our lovely petro dollar can't prop up the industry no more!

Ohhh man I should check up on my parents rich friend who bought a few houses in Kitimat because LNG BOOOOOM.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle34293597/

quote:

Serial disappointment in business spending baffles Bank of Canada

Stephen Poloz has taken a lot of heat for being overly optimistic about the export recovery.

There has been a lot less focus on the Bank of Canada Governor’s chronic forecasting misses on business investment.

These two vital components of the economy are, of course, linked. In a trade-dependent country such as Canada, exports help drive investment. As companies grow their foreign sales, they gain confidence and eventually expand their operations to meet growing demand.

When Mr. Poloz took over the bank in mid-2013, business investment was flatlining. He confidently predicted that things would get better in 2014. And every year since he’s made similar predictions – in 2015, 2016, 2017. Now the bank’s forecast shows the investment rebound will come in 2018.

Instead, there has been serial disappointment. Declining business investment knocked 0.1 per cent off gross domestic product in 2014, 1.5 per cent in 2015, 0.9 per cent in 2016 and a projected 0.1 per cent in 2017, according to the Bank of Canada’s Monetary Policy Reports, the latest of which was released in January.

Business investment has sagged, even as other parts of the economy have improved, including the labour market. Non-residential business investment has tumbled nearly 20 per cent since 2014 – the largest two-year decline since the 1980-82 recession.

guys guys it's ok if households go into debt to take advantage of low interest rates because the incentive is working as designed by ~pulling forward demand~. soon wages will go up and businesses will start investing again and

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ianjamesyoung70/status/841146542509633538

all you entitled millenials need to level set your expectations and consider living in coffins

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/property/hong-kong-china/article/2038746/how-small-can-hong-kong-apartment-get-emperor-takes-crown

quote:

Emperor International Holdings will have the dubious honour as developer of the tiniest apartment in Hong Kong, with its plan to launch a project where each unit measures 61.4 square feet (5.7 square meters), according to filings with the Building Department.

Located at 17-19 Yik Kam Street in Happy Valley on the island, the project -- which is yet to be named -- converts an existing 21-storey commercial building into a residential project.
The unit’s current measurement excludes space allocated for a kitchen and bathroom, according to the department’s data.

“It may be the smallest flat in Hong Kong even taking into account the kitchen and bathroom,” said Thomas Lam, head of valuation and consultancy at Knight Frank.

Adding kitchen and bathroom space, Emperor’s apartment will still be smaller than Wisdom Gaining’s AVA62 project in Jordan, the current record holder.

Each AVA62 unit measures 152 square feet -- including a balcony -- selling for HK$20,000 per square foot, or HK$3 million on average.

On Hong Kong island, the record belongs to Henderson Land’s One Prestige apartments in North Point. Last month,a buyer paid HK$3.9 million for a 163-square foot unit at One Prestige.

Mini flats are all the rage in Hong Kong, as average home prices have soared beyond the reach of average salary earners, prompting developers to scale down.

As many as 5,000 of the small flats are in the pipeline every year until 2019, almost triple the average in the last decade, according to a projection by JLL.

“To make it affordable, developers will build their flats smaller and smaller in prime locations to cater for investors or single young people,” Lam said.

Hong Kong’s families are also getting smaller, hemmed in by out-of-reach housing.

The ratio of two-person households is projected to increase from 25.2 per cent in 2011 to 29 per cent a decade later, while the proportion of five-person households is forecasted to fall from 12.2 per cent to 9.8 per cent in the same period, according to the government’s Domestic Household Projections.

Emperor’s building comprises 68 apartment units, all of which measure 61 square feet, except for four larger flats at 121.6 square feet.

loving lol

if you don't already, you need to follow ian young on twitter.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Hutchyman/status/841720334105563136

i think the small time home construction companies are getting hosed

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/RateSpy/status/841495276779106304

5 year rates are going to be pricing in the fed hike lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/FIVRE604/status/841728733052510209

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

all you entitled millenials need to level set your expectations and consider living in coffins

I remember that level in Deus Ex HR.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

lol january is one of the worst months of the year for auto sales what the gently caress is going on

I think we can safely say that the foreign buyer's tax hasn't done poo poo to the housing market.

Fun anecdote, secretary at my wife's work was talking about guys she dates and how they all drive luxury cars but none of them seem to have any money.

Vancouver's easy. People checked their property assessments on Jan 1st then crashed their cars in one of the snowfalls.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Yeah, I've been vaguely keeping track of used X1s since I'm going to have to buy a new car, for months there was almost no movement on them and then all of a sudden about two months ago everyone started buying up all of them, which sucks because you can't buy a used one for 15k anymore.

Also,

https://www.zolo.ca/whistler-real-estate/6127-eagle-ridge-crescent/41

$875/f2

But it's a veritable deal compared to this:

https://www.zolo.ca/whistler-real-estate/4660-blackcomb-way/101

Which comes in at over $1000 per square foot!

edit: AHHHHH I found one that actually is over $1200 per square foot

https://www.zolo.ca/whistler-real-estate/4800-spearhead-drive/354

edit 2: and a cool runner's up prize to this $8.8 million home whose photo is a screenshot of Google streetview lol https://www.zolo.ca/whistler-real-estate/3012-alpine-crescent

HookShot fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 14, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Does zolo capture all listings? I'm aware that realtor.ca does not.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

POWERING A STRONG ECONOMY

Christy Clark cannot afford to wear different outfits.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

on today's episode of flip this coffin

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

One step closer to Neuromancer. :cool:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A buddy of mine in Montreal just put in an offer for a condo. It's loving gorgeous, good location, three to four bedrooms (there's an additional family room that could in theory be converted to one), full patio with a storage shed, I think at least 1600 sq. feet.

I think he paid $475k, but the kicker is because it was Montreal he was able to negotiate them down. He got it for under asking. His offer is pending the home inspector coming back with a good report and when I told him people in Toronto these days sometimes skip that because someone else might get it if they demand an inspection he was mortified.

I hate this dumb idiot city sometimes. I can't find what he'd pay for something equivalent here but I'd imagine double.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Snuffman posted:

:discourse:

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

Does zolo capture all listings? I'm aware that realtor.ca does not.

I work with real estate data and the rules regarding realty data is arcane and asinine. You will likely never find a single source of all listings due to some listings being restricted to offices/brokerages/local boards or simply just individual agent pocket listings. Also, the data that is sent to CREA from local boards can differ compared to the data that those boards provide in their own feed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nationalize the real estate industry.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Xaranthius posted:

I work with real estate data and the rules regarding realty data is arcane and asinine. You will likely never find a single source of all listings due to some listings being restricted to offices/brokerages/local boards or simply just individual agent pocket listings. Also, the data that is sent to CREA from local boards can differ compared to the data that those boards provide in their own feed.

That's fantastic. The largest producer of BC and Canada's economies contains data that is loving garbage

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Snuffman posted:

No coincidence that Neuromancer was written by a Vancouverite.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

That's fantastic. The largest producer of BC and Canada's economies contains data that is loving garbage

Hahahaha you don't know half of it. It is literal garbage sometimes. I've had to use hacks like a series of regexs or find/replaces on specific characters sequences to clean up text from badly encoded text that results in poo poo like this:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17703303/1559-161-STREET-Surrey-British-Columbia-V4A4X9

quote:

<div class="m_property_dtl_data_tbl_content" id="m_property_dtl_gendescription">
Charming & extensively renovated character home.11,518 sq ft lot & 1778 sq ft of living space. Very private property set back from 161 st (no through road) with a gated entry. Spacious & very bright gourmet kitchen & stainless steel appliances. 2 bedrooms, an office ( has 2 doors, no window, poss 3rd bdrm) . The loft (under 6’ ) makes a wonderful play room or extra bdrm. Newer roof, siding, windows, furnace, on demand water system, plus more! Close to South Meridian Elem School & in the Ear Marriott Sec Catchment area.
</div>

Edit: This is good too

quote:

Built in 9999

Xaranthius fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

he was mortified

Why? Is he a realtor?

Bring on the rate hikes, I want the bond portion of my portfolio to start returning.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

It took long enough for leeloo Dallas multipass to become real.

Baronjutter posted:

Nationalize the real estate industry.

:confused: CMHC

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You can't even rely on realtors to take photos with a cell phone, data entry is a skill.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Who would you trust more? Used Car Salesperson, Real Estate Agent, or Wallet Inspector?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

cowofwar posted:

You can't even rely on realtors to take photos with a cell phone, data entry is a skill.

Look they didn't become realtors because they wanted to do work

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My mom plays badminton with a lot of, you guessed it, Asians. She was just telling me that she knows of 3 millennials in her group that are studying for their Realtors licenses and all have plans to buy two or three condos and rent them out as a long term retirement plan.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

The thing is I can't even really blame the REALTORS® because the issue should actually be dealt with the the system they are inputting into. If it handled encoding of multi-byte characters properly and then sent that data to CREA and was handled properly there, then it could be decoded properly when distributed.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Wow, that's pretty cheap to live on a space station.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How much for the cryogenic suite?

Also, if I'm renting a cryogenic suite and the owner sells it, do they have to honour the existing lease or will I be thawed decades ahead of schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jsblokland/status/841991797077340161

:dukedoge: