Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Speaking of eshop giftcards, I bought one at Target last night but later noticed that it says "only for use on Wii U and 3DS"

Is it safe to assume the text on the card is simply dated and it will work properly with Switch's eshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Macintosh HD posted:

Speaking of eshop giftcards, I bought one at Target last night but later noticed that it says "only for use on Wii U and 3DS"

Is it safe to assume the text on the card is simply dated and it will work properly with Switch's eshop?

According to some quick googling, they should work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, it'll work on Switch no problem. I bought an eShop card last week with no issues.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
They work fine, I can personally confirm. I bought a eshop GC using that target $8 code a month ago. Used it towards Zelda and paid the rest with a credit card.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

irlZaphod posted:

I (and many others it seems) haven't had any issues with either joycon. When I'm playing in docked mode, I sit more than 2m away from my tv and Switch. It hasn't desynced once. So I don't think it's a design issue, unless it was and was rectified already.

Ahh, I assumed it was universal. Mine goofed within an hour of booting up Zelda. Anyway, it's cool that they're making it easy to get them fixed.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

According to some quick googling, they should work.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, it'll work on Switch no problem. I bought an eShop card last week with no issues.

Cartoon Man posted:

They work fine, I can personally confirm. I bought a eshop GC using that target $8 code a month ago. Used it towards Zelda and paid the rest with a credit card.

Thanks friends

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Had a weird blip today where my Switch suddenly span up the internal fan to max just after I started playing Zelda in handheld mode. The whole unit was perfectly cold, as it hadn't been used since yesterday, but the fan was still blowing away like mad. "Fixed" it by restarting the console. Weird.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
its called the nintendo switch because you try to buy it and its sold out everywhere so you switch to playing a different console

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Louisgod posted:

I want to play new games because I like new games

I will mod my Switch into an Android tablet to finally be able to play Mario run on a nintendo device

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I (and many others it seems) haven't had any issues with either joycon. When I'm playing in docked mode, I sit more than 2m away from my tv and Switch. It hasn't desynced once. So I don't think it's a design issue, unless it was and was rectified already.

I am sitting about 5 feet from my Switch and if I don't lean forward with my arms in front of me the left joycon goes in and out and often fully desyncs and needs a few seconds before I can start playing again. I have my router/etc in the same room and the console is right next to the tv so there may be some "interference" but the wiimotes, Wii U controller, and Playstation controllers all work fine here without issue. I even moved the switch+dock when I'm using it so it's on a stack of magazines halfway between me and the TV and it still happens. It's ridiculous.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I have a blue and a red Joy-Con L and they both have desync problems, but the blue seems worse. I'm gonna RMA the blue one first and the red one afterwards.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mulls posted:

I have a blue and a red Joy-Con L and they both have desync problems, but the blue seems worse. I'm gonna RMA the blue one first and the red one afterwards.

I have like ~800 posts in this thread to sift through, has Nintendo addressed it yet or are we just RMAing out of hope?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

I am sitting about 5 feet from my Switch and if I don't lean forward with my arms in front of me the left joycon goes in and out and often fully desyncs and needs a few seconds before I can start playing again. I have my router/etc in the same room and the console is right next to the tv so there may be some "interference" but the wiimotes, Wii U controller, and Playstation controllers all work fine here without issue. I even moved the switch+dock when I'm using it so it's on a stack of magazines halfway between me and the TV and it still happens. It's ridiculous.

Get it replaced. They're replacing them if you call customer service, and it was confirmed earlier in the thread you don't have to send in the whole console.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

minute posted:

To be honest, I don't see much point since the Switch is already region-free.

I'm not a poor and the hassle of maintaining a hacked firmware through all the updates isn't worth it for basically nothing in return.

The cool potential isn't just emulation of older platforms, it's (once they've gotten arbitrary Linux stuff running on the machine) being able to straight up run old DOS/PC games on it. Civilization 2, those point-and-click adventure games, Doom, Kings Quest and Space Quest, Tyrian, etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Wrong. It's a very, very good web engine that is best in breed when it comes to standard compliance, speed and power consumption, and underpins the vast majority of all web browsers in use.

Wrong. WebKit is one of the most active open source projects in the world and has the strongest set of corporate backers out there.

The switch is also not an embedded system.

The reason why web browsers are always the softest attack vector is because the web is mind bogglingly complex and everyone uses it. Any modern web browser is by far the most complex piece of software on anyone's computer, requiring implementation of some of the most insane standards ever devised.

Wrong. All browsers have patch notes at the very least, and the vast majority are open source just like WebKit.

The reason why Switch has an old version of WebKit is simple: It takes ages to test software on unreleased hardware.

This is good but I also want to add that a closed source browser without a public list of patch notes isn't automatically more secure, and anything they try to build in-house is just going to end up making the same mistakes webkit did while costing more and taking longer to build out.

A blanket statement of "webkit is a trashfire because it always has bugs/exploits" makes you sound like a moron for many reasons, but I'm curious what you think they should use instead.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
I dropped my joycons (in the grip) from my seat and they landed face down. The right thumbstick will no longer press or register movement to the left - tried re-calibrating to no avail so I guess its hosed. Totally on me for dropping the thing, but I would really have expected the thing to survivea two foot drop - I guess that I must have just gotten unlucky and had it land right on the thumbstick . Guess I am going to be ponying up $120 for another pair of joycons. :smith:

E: Apparently i can purchase a single joycon for $70. Still blows though.

The Lowdog fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 14, 2017

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
:siren: Splatoon 2 Global Testfire IS LIVE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD :siren:

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aw dang I thought you meant it was active and got all disappointed when I booted it up and got rejected.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I Am Frick posted:

:siren: Splatoon 2 Global Testfire IS LIVE :siren:

Yeah, could you perhaps re-word that to "available for download". Since, y'know, its not actually live. It is, however, available for download.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Snipperclips was unexpectedly a big hit; I expected to have some fun with a friend or two but I didn't expect 7 us to end up in the room, with 2 people playing at a time while the other 5 just kept shouting suggestions. I'm disappointed that it only has 3 worlds, but I guess I'll be grabbing a second set of Joycons now so that we can play the 4-player levels. In conclusion, GOTY

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So if I want to download something from the Japanese store do I have create a different account? I've never bought anything from a foreign store on any console before. Also if I buy something from the Japanese store do I get the English version on that profile when it comes out?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 14, 2017

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I assume this to be true, but just want to be certain. Neither deleting nor archiving wipes your saves, right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Get it replaced. They're replacing them if you call customer service, and it was confirmed earlier in the thread you don't have to send in the whole console.

Cool, I'll do that, thanks!

Related question: Do any stores do returns on opened game controllers? I don't really want to go a few weeks without Zelda but I don't need more than two joycon for the time being... Some googling indicates that GameStop used to do this, and they MAY still do it but no one can 100% agree.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Related question: Do any stores do returns on opened game controllers? I don't really want to go a few weeks without Zelda but I don't need more than two joycon for the time being... Some googling indicates that GameStop used to do this, and they MAY still do it but no one can 100% agree.

If you're talking about a bundle, they're not going do a return on just part of it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im gonna hug my switch as the winter storm stella overtakes me

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 14, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Roadie posted:

If you're talking about a bundle, they're not going do a return on just part of it.

I'm thinking about buying a left joycon so I can use my Switch while I RMA the one that came with it.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Policenaut posted:

Aw dang I thought you meant it was active and got all disappointed when I booted it up and got rejected.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, could you perhaps re-word that to "available for download". Since, y'know, its not actually live. It is, however, available for download.

ethanol posted:

wow gently caress off
That's my bad... I saw it downloadable but I'm at work so I didn't get a chance to fire it up until just now. Edited my post.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gaspy Conana posted:

Ahh, I assumed it was universal. Mine goofed within an hour of booting up Zelda. Anyway, it's cool that they're making it easy to get them fixed.
Yeah I didn't realise that 3 or 4 people had already replied. It sucks that it seems to have happened (it does seem to have happened in a significant %, just judging from the people in this thread), but at least it looks like Nintendo are being good about replacing faulty ones.

Tender Bender posted:

Call Nintendo and get a replacement.

Rad Valtar posted:

So if I want to download something from the Japanese store do I have create a different account? I've never bought anything from a foreign store on any console before. Also if I buy something from the Japanese store do I get the English version on that profile when it comes out?
Yes, just create a new Nintendo account and set the location to Japan.

I'm not sure about the second question. I bought Snipperclips with my EU account, if I open the eShop with an NA account it shows the game as "Purchased". That may just be because it is the same game in all regions with the same language options. If there's a Japanese-only game on the Japanese shop, if it's released in English later it might not see it as being the same game.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 14, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Has anyone had issues with a joycon not working while playing the system in handheld mode? I've twice had to pop a joycon off and back on, or pop it off and press the sync button because it wasn't registering any input at all. This has happened for both left and right joycons.

Also yesterday I was playing Zelda and the fan cranked up really loud on handheld mode, which I'd not experienced before. Not sure why it would be getting hot when I had only been playing for ten or so minutes and I was in an area I'd been before with no issue. :ohdear:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Stan Taylor posted:

Has anyone had issues with a joycon not working while playing the system in handheld mode? I've twice had to pop a joycon off and back on, or pop it off and press the sync button because it wasn't registering any input at all. This has happened for both left and right joycons.

Also yesterday I was playing Zelda and the fan cranked up really loud on handheld mode, which I'd not experienced before. Not sure why it would be getting hot when I had only been playing for ten or so minutes and I was in an area I'd been before with no issue. :ohdear:

I've had zero issues with the Joycons losing connection when connected to the Switch and knowing they get a physical connection when attached it's hard to understand how it'd lose synch unless the joycons themselves are bonked.

Usually when I first fire up Zelda the fan kicks in high gear and eventually spins down later but yesterday I turned the Switch on after sitting in sleep all day and Zelda froze. Had to hold the power down and reboot it. Kinda worried to see that and I'm hoping it's a one off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Never had those issues. My left one is good 99% of the time, I'll reevaluate during the year and see if it needs RMA'd down the line (especially when I know what the fix is and not just getting a new one with the same hardware, etc). It is a little wobbly while connected to the screen, but it's very slight and not too bothersome.

Edit: I've never even noticed the fan on mine, handheld or docked. It does get a little warm in the center/right side but not hot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Gunder posted:

Had a weird blip today where my Switch suddenly span up the internal fan to max just after I started playing Zelda in handheld mode. The whole unit was perfectly cold, as it hadn't been used since yesterday, but the fan was still blowing away like mad. "Fixed" it by restarting the console. Weird.

Mine does this every time I start Zelda in docked mode but it spins down after a few minutes.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
My issue with the Joycons is that sometimes around 3-5 feet away it's difficult for them regarding motion controls. sometimes it works fine, other times it's impossible to aim with it.

I'm unsure if I want to ship them for repair or not.

E: Regarding BoI, I love the game a lot but even on PC I don't have all of the millions of unlocks. The more unlocks you get, the more lovely the item pool gets and an awful player like me begins to struggle to find good runs. Doubt I will buy it for Switch but I hope it plays well for others.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 14, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Louisgod posted:

I've had zero issues with the Joycons losing connection when connected to the Switch and knowing they get a physical connection when attached it's hard to understand how it'd lose synch unless the joycons themselves are bonked.

Usually when I first fire up Zelda the fan kicks in high gear and eventually spins down later but yesterday I turned the Switch on after sitting in sleep all day and Zelda froze. Had to hold the power down and reboot it. Kinda worried to see that and I'm hoping it's a one off.

Both times it's happened was when I woke the system up, so it's not like they drop in game like the desync issue, just that it isn't turning on with the rest of the system.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dizz posted:

My issue with the Joycons is that sometimes around 3-5 feet away it's difficult for them regarding motion controls. sometimes it works fine, other times it's impossible to aim with it.

I immediately turned that off and have [very slight zelda spoiler] hated the shrines that use it because it doesn't seem to work very well. I have to take the right joy con into one hand and maneuver it randomly to get through the area. :(

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Amazon has pro controllers gogogogogogo

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

I got mine with free same day delivery!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Larrymer posted:

I immediately turned that off and have [very slight zelda spoiler] hated the shrines that use it because it doesn't seem to work very well. I have to take the right joy con into one hand and maneuver it randomly to get through the area. :(

Yeah those ones are a bit wonky but you can cheat most of them with some creativity on your part

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

parallelodad posted:

I may do this since I have a pro controller and only really play TV mode. Thanks for this!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah those ones are a bit wonky but you can cheat most of them with some creativity on your part

The only motion control one that really frustrated me was the maze with the little ramp at the end, but I ended up just slapping the ball out of the thing entirely. I really enjoyed the minigolf one and pretty much stood up in my living room to get the right form for it. The various other rotate a block ones were fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I'm about 5 hours into Zelda and my only complaints (related to controls, no spoiler) is that

A) You can't set lockon to "toggle" rather than "hold", which would make playing with separated joycon feel a thousand times better,
B) You can swap run and jump, but you can't make them next to each other so you can actually jump while running.

irlZaphod posted:

Call Nintendo and get a replacement.

I'll do that, thanks!

• Locked thread