Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I think Fishbulb had the most savage takedown of it, comparing the impact to RENT.

RENT is also rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

Why are you watching SNL in the first place

i dont, they played it on chapo

wyoming posted:

The reactions to Hamilton are bizarre in both directions, like yeah it's dweeby as poo poo, because all musicals are lame, it doesn't help when pop culture divorces it from context, and yeah of course it didn't lead to some great liberal awakening, it's a goddamn play.

I think Fishbulb had the most savage takedown of it, comparing the impact to RENT.

musicals fuckin rule

white guy rap does not

like everything i've heard from hamilton is about half a step from MY NAME IS MIRANDA AND IM HERE TO SAY I LOVE THE FOUNDING FATHERS IN A MAJOR WAY

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really? he whined about bootlegs? Like the show is sold out solid for years dude. Anything someone would have to fear from bootlegs does not apply to you.

are you fuckin surprised that the creator of the new liberal anthem is a whiny poo poo who doesn't understand why things like bootlegs exist

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

RENT is also rear end.

The first time I heard a cast album of it, I definitely got set back a few years in terms of realizing I was queer and trans. Which obviously isn't really Rent's fault, it's the fault of a broader cultural context that consistently associates non-normative identities with a narrow and in-your-face set of stereotypes in order to fully demarcate these identities as outgroups unworthy of proper social consideration, but I'm gonna go ahead and blame Rent anyway

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RENT is also rear end.

RENT is aids AM I RIGHT HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHHHAHAHA KILL ME

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really? he whined about bootlegs? Like the show is sold out solid for years dude. Anything someone would have to fear from bootlegs does not apply to you.

"Oh, I've caused a shitstorm. Sorry. I barely understand Tumblr (I'm much better at the Twitter, I just have an account so I can see the lovely arts n crafts some of you make on here). We're going to make a really good recording of the show this summer and I want you to hear that. I'm thrilled you haven't heard a lovely, half-iphone recorded version yet, because I spent 6 years writing this and when you hear it, I want you to hear what I intended. I'm sorry theater only exists in one place at a time but that is also its magic. A bootleg cannot capture it. I'm grateful and glad you want to hear it, and I want you to hear it RIGHT. I ask your patience. This is Lin, by the way. Do I click reblog now? What is th…"

Which, like, I get? But most people who seek out a bootleg are gonna seek out the official recording as well. I've never understood that mentality to begin with - most people who care enough to get a bootleg are the most fervent fans.

RENT is also rear end.

Rent is bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

The first time I heard a cast album of it, I definitely got set back a few years in terms of realizing I was queer and trans. Which obviously isn't really Rent's fault, it's the fault of a broader cultural context that consistently associates non-normative identities with a narrow and in-your-face set of stereotypes in order to fully demarcate these identities as outgroups unworthy of proper social consideration, but I'm gonna go ahead and blame Rent anyway

one more reason for me to hate rent

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Which, like, I get? But most people who seek out a bootleg are gonna seek out the official recording as well. I've never understood that mentality to begin with - most people who care enough to get a bootleg are the most fervent fans.

realtalk one of my favorite albums is a weird bootleg of Arrogant Sons of Bitches playing a cover set at some kid's birthday party

nobody cares about that except idiots like me who are ride or die for jeff rosenstock

i'm also still looking for a bootleg of the last btmi show because WHERE'S THE FUCKIN LIVE ALBUM JEFF

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Not that I have even a remotely similar experience, but yeah, RENT is like 50's studio movie stereotypes. I blame it on the nineties culture of snotty irony and kitsch but it has always rubbed me the wrong way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
We've had this discussion before. Musicals can be awesome and fun and be full of good music but they are also really lame. Like they are not cool and will never be cool. Anyone that tries to assure that musicals are cool instantly sounds really lame because musicals are lame. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them and that there isn't greatness in there it's just the very nature of the beast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Musicals are dope sorry

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Why are you watching SNL in the first place

They announced today they're doing a stand-alone Weekend Update show this summer, which just seems like a terrible idea considering how awful Che and Jost are on it.

RENT is also rear end.

Rent is just absolutely horrific trash and its messages are despicable. I saw a touring production during my freshman year of college (it was required viewing by the professor) and I think I had him almost to the point of tears when we met to talk about the assessment I wrote of it.

Didn't help that most of the singers in the original cast were unbelievably terrible.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 14, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

They announced today they're doing a stand-alone Weekend Update show this summer, which just seems like a terrible idea considering how awful Che and Jost are on it.

Oh no. No no no.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh no. No no no.

To quote the philosopher Angle, it's true. It's drat true.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Didn't they already do a standalone Weekend Update that was a complete failure?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jenny Angel posted:

While I'm really glad I skipped Rent, I did get sucked into the Will & Grace trap in high school, which totally hosed up my own self-perception and made me think I was a "bad gay".

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Musicals are dope sorry

Yeah they're great if you're looking at the right ones. The only thing dweeby about musicals is that they're overtly emotional but there's not a huge difference between the punching man fight in they live and the climax of chorus line

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With SNL I'm amazed that even when the sketch goes viral and is pretty good, it is consistently at least two minutes longer than it needs to be. It shows what a culture that has most likely been built up with filling time over everything can do to a show's comedic sensibilities.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Not that I have even a remotely similar experience, but yeah, RENT is like 50's studio movie stereotypes. I blame it on the nineties culture of snotty irony and kitsch but it has always rubbed me the wrong way.

On the reverse side, the very first piece of fiction I was exposed to that got me rolling on the long, stop-start journey toward realizing my gender identity and sexuality was Goosebumps #25: Attack of the Mutant, because the bad guy is some gross supervillain who spends most of the story disguised as a pretty girl and I remember bugging out and thinking "hold on... ANYONE can be a pretty girl??" and it took like 18 years after reading it to get a definitive answer but it ended up being "yeah, 100%"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

X-Ray Pecs posted:

More good news for KC folks: April 8th, Screenland Armour's doing CarpenterFest II, a triple feature of Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live. I went to the first one in October where they showed Halloween, The Fog, and The Thing at the smaller and jankier Tapcade, and it was a blast, I'm probably going to this one too.

Good god I'm going to spend all of April in a theater

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

remember the awful hamilton rap on snl

TIM KAINE IN THE MEMBRANE

it was a Hillary fundraiser i think not SNL, still awful tho

ya here it is
https://twitter.com/cashleelee/status/788213418985684992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jenny Angel posted:

On the reverse side, the very first piece of fiction I was exposed to that got me rolling on the long, stop-start journey toward realizing my gender identity and sexuality was Goosebumps #25: Attack of the Mutant, because the bad guy is some gross supervillain who spends most of the story disguised as a pretty girl and I remember bugging out and thinking "hold on... ANYONE can be a pretty girl??" and it took like 18 years after reading it to get a definitive answer but it ended up being "yeah, 100%"

yeah, but it turns out you were comics all along or something

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I can't opine on whether musicals are lame or cool, but some musicals are great, some are not, and some are awful. I'm glad that we can all agree, even wyoming, that Rent is awful. I didn't even make it to intermission.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

it was a Hillary fundraiser i think not SNL, still awful tho

ya here it is
https://twitter.com/cashleelee/status/788213418985684992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

remember when hill dawg spent more money on fake glass confetti for the ceiling she was going to symbolically shatter than she did on campaigning in the midwest

Jenny Angel posted:

my dudette are you reading the new Man-Thing comic by RL Stine because YOU SHOULD BE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

That was the first chapter book I ever read.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

yeah, but it turns out you were comics all along or something

Joke's on you if you think I remember jack poo poo about that story other than its moral of "anyone can be a pretty girl"!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my dudette are you reading the new Man-Thing comic by RL Stine because YOU SHOULD BE

Nah I don't really read any comics except when my fiancee checks out a bunch of Kieron Gillens from the library and I sometimes take a look at one after she's done. As far as I can tell his Darth Vader series rules, one of the main antagonists is Space Robby Mook

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Had you never seen Looney Tunes before??

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i need something to organize/play my music on my computer that isn't itunes, what should i use

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Joke's on you if you think I remember jack poo poo about that story other than its moral of "anyone can be a pretty girl"!!

I remember really liking that one but the only thing I can remember form it was the main character bled ink at the end. I wish I could say that led to an obsession with tattoos but I just really ate up lovely catch endings as a kid.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RENT is also rear end.

Which is why it stings.
I still think Hamilton is a good musical though.
However I also love Duncan "Barely Breathing" Sheik's Spring Awakening, so...

Jenny Angel posted:

This really, really owns. You're alright Jenny.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

therattle posted:

I can't opine on whether musicals are lame or cool, but some musicals are great, some are not, and some are awful. I'm glad that we can all agree, even wyoming, that Rent is awful. I didn't even make it to intermission.

It's so loving bad. We had to sing the "six million seconds" or whatever song in choir in middle school and I wanted to hang myself.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I saw Space Jam because it was the 90's and I lived in Chicago but that's pretty much it, and if I recall Bugs doesn't make anyone horny in that one so much as he himself is constantly horny for Lola

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you're going to say Phantom of the Paradise is lame, come say it to my fists.

Criminal Minded posted:

Good god I'm going to spend all of April in a theater

I'm definitely going to Seven Samurai, and I really want to see Sorcerer again, and I should probably make room in my schedule for Se7en, and I shouldn't pass up 2001 on the big screen, and Raw and Colossal are coming out, and Donnie Darko's playing, and aaaaahhhhhhhhh so many movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I saw Space Jam because it was the 90's and I lived in Chicago but that's pretty much it, and if I recall Bugs doesn't make anyone horny in that one so much as he himself is constantly horny for Lola

The Lola Bunny thing always stuck out to me because Elmer Fudd has much more sexual tension with Bugs. I always thought it's because they thought that would be weird to have in a movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i need something to organize/play my music on my computer that isn't itunes, what should i use

I use Musicbee

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/828713846437208064

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you're going to say Phantom of the Paradise is lame, come say it to my fists.

I'm definitely going to Seven Samurai, and I really want to see Sorcerer again, and I should probably make room in my schedule for Se7en, and I shouldn't pass up 2001 on the big screen, and Raw and Colossal are coming out, and Donnie Darko's playing, and aaaaahhhhhhhhh so many movies

Have you been able to buy a ticket to Seven Samurai yet? I keep checking online and it keeps telling me that tickets aren't available, but I don't know how they handle that with the free victory screenings. I called them up a couple of weeks ago and she said to just check back soon because she couldn't do anything on her end either.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm the guy recommending Winamp in 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm the guy recommending Winamp in 2017

Does it still really whip the llama's rear end?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have 2 puppet master films left and... Good god, never watch this trash. Don't watch past 4.

I watched Puppet Master: The Legacy, which is the 8th film, entirely in fastforward. Because it's only 70 minutes long, and it's composed almost entirely of recapping the entire franchise by including 3-4 entire scenes from each preceding film. That's the whole movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

I use Musicbee

i was going to give that one and nightingale a shot

after my old profile went blooey all my music has been a pain to get to so i want to finally move it over but not use itunes anymore since im off apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's interesting and a little sad that so many people have their "ring of keys" moment when they come across a hateful or mean depiction of queer culture as satire and think, "well, what if this was genuine?", but I guess that's inevitable.

• Locked thread