Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

zedprime posted:

Ehh, that's kind of realistic but that doesn't make it less annoying. Using machinery day to day means you have the users doing basic maintenance and diagnostic tasks which generally keeps it in better shape than while mothballed.

Yes but how would you even know that a workbench wasn't functional if it wasn't even being used?

Likewise a fuel generator that has been shut down for five in game years still breaks down constantly and needs repairs even though.

It would make more sense if the break was triggered while in use. It's also slightly less annoying if you don't get prompted to constantly repair offline machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Catberry posted:

Yes but how would you even know that a workbench wasn't functional if it wasn't even being used?

Likewise a fuel generator that has been shut down for five in game years still breaks down constantly and needs repairs even though.

It would make more sense if the break was triggered while in use. It's also slightly less annoying if you don't get prompted to constantly repair offline machinery.
The workflow at that point is you go to use it in the first time forever and its broken and you didn't know it. Which sounds less fun. If we go with the conceit that components are used for periodic maintenance, if it "breakdown"s twice before you use it, you should have to fix it with 2 components so now you can't use it when you want it and you don't save components.

Equipment requires maintenance whether you use it or not (sometimes extra maintenance for when you aren't using it to be honest). Maintenance requires material. Its consistent enough on a realism front and consistent with the base game balancing, that is don't overbuild just in case because components are precious.

Not against exposing those guts for modders though because there are plenty of people who disagree with that design basis.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I honestly kind of like having 'components' abstracted the way they are in this game. Having separate supply lines for fasteners, lubricants, replacement parts, motors, wire pigtails etc etc etc would be crazy tedious.

But yeah poo poo breaks down way too often.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I honestly kind of like having 'components' abstracted the way they are in this game. Having separate supply lines for fasteners, lubricants, replacement parts, motors, wire pigtails etc etc etc would be crazy tedious.

But yeah poo poo breaks down way too often.

What, you haven't played the Factorio Meets Rimworld mod yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I tried that "orcish inn" game and loving hated it despite loving the premise because it takes the whole resource/crafting economy to an insanely not fun extreme and you have to play for hours grinding and crafting to even begin your inn. It's one of those games where just a simple piece of furniture or brewing beer takes like 5 levels of processing and 20 slightly different items to build. Item management and crafting management is absolute not my bag, specially when the interface is horrible. Minecraft's crafting and inventory system was designed around a very simplistic "economy" but so many mods add so much extra poo poo it just becomes insanely cluttered and a pain in the rear end.

At the same time I'd love a little more detail in Rimworld. Maybe a couple extra types of metal, processing metal from ore, and a little more tech progression and need for tools. Things like beds should require (or be upgraded by) cloth/textiles. Just a little extra detail and a little more "tech" between "we are stone aged tribals" and "electric lights and sentry guns"

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's one of those games where just a simple piece of furniture or brewing beer takes like 5 levels of processing and 20 slightly different items to build. Item management and crafting management is absolute not my bag,

Don't play factorio.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Baronjutter posted:

Minecraft's crafting and inventory system was designed around a very simplistic "economy" but so many mods add so much extra poo poo it just becomes insanely cluttered and a pain in the rear end.

I feel like many of those mods should just have been different games. Like when you have engines that just flat out explode if they don't get water. But being in minecraft the game stops loading chunks when you get far enough away. So if the pipes pass over a disabled chunk then the engines get no water and explode.

Minecraft is just too resource intensive for all that grand building stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

yoloer420 posted:

Do play factorio.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

So much blood.

Why, Randy, why?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
... did the warm puddles of blood melt the snow?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wow, caravans in the jungle really suck. 5 hours per tile movement, vs 1 hour in other terrain.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Wow, caravans in the jungle really suck. 5 hours per tile movement, vs 1 hour in other terrain.

Almost as if having to cut a path through vines and bog takes time

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's the best way to lower walking speed on a tile? I'm experimenting with a mod that uses knockout gas, and I forgot I can't build a moat on rock with another mod :( I thought of filling the hallway with sandbags, but I don't have that much steel.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Roads and rivers would be cool. Especially if you could spend pawns and resources to make your own...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Roads and rivers would be cool. Especially if you could spend pawns and resources to make your own...

Yeah, build a road so the instant a pirate gang runs across it they can just have a quick way into your base.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good? I like regular deliveries of prisoners and loot.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Volmarias posted:

Almost as if having to cut a path through vines and bog takes time

You know, I can build laser guns, power armor, and drop pads, but not like, a truck?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IAmTheRad posted:

Yeah, build a road so the instant a pirate gang runs across it they can just have a quick way into your base they fall to the ground, writhing in agony from the traps and turrets littering the path.

Merchants and colonists know to use the shallow parts of the stream.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

You know, I can build laser guns, power armor, and drop pads, but not like, a truck?

Let me know the next time you drive a truck directly through a jungle with no road.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Crystal skull wasnt a documentary?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
After countless restarts I'm kind of wishing for a mod that lets me filter landing sites. Does such a thing exist?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danaru posted:

What's the best way to lower walking speed on a tile? I'm experimenting with a mod that uses knockout gas, and I forgot I can't build a moat on rock with another mod :( I thought of filling the hallway with sandbags, but I don't have that much steel.

Fill it with stone blocks. Set up a dumping zone in there and then flag a bunch of blocks to be moved.

Even just a regular stockpile full of junk will slow them down some.

Edit: Given how many other mods you're playing with, I'm going to bet you have a mod that lets you place soil over stone. The soil is probably a lower walk speed than the raw stone.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Volmarias posted:

Let me know the next time you drive a truck directly through a jungle with no road.

A hovercraft!

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

I... What do you think a jungle looks like?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

ReverendCode posted:

I... What do you think a jungle looks like?

A road that you sink into

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Guys, we can build space ships. I'm still amazed there isn't a mod to put cargo space and a cockpit on your hull and fly to other settlements to trade.

As fun as trucks could be they seem redundant next to ships. The lack of roads would be the biggest issue, if you think chipping a foot path through jungle is slow, try it when your conveyance is twenty tons and three metres wide.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Burning bugs to death is very fun.

But year there's a lot of weird mechanics that are limitations that don't jive with the overall tech level of the game.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

15 year old kid captured and recruited from some pirates who podded into my base's entryway. poo poo life before, bad end was ahead, my crew saved her. One of the guys compliments her and she flies into a rage and nearly punches him to death.

Yeah, pretty much fits every teen I know / have known. Game of the year.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Slung Blade posted:

Guys, we can build space ships. I'm still amazed there isn't a mod to put cargo space and a cockpit on your hull and fly to other settlements to trade.

As fun as trucks could be they seem redundant next to ships. The lack of roads would be the biggest issue, if you think chipping a foot path through jungle is slow, try it when your conveyance is twenty tons and three metres wide.

honestly the first mod i wanted to write was building motorcycles, as basically mechanical muffalo, so you could be a roaming biker gang

the reactions kinda confused me a little but i sorta figured them out, the art is a serious blocker for me though. i have zero artistic talent.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Coolguye posted:

honestly the first mod i wanted to write was building motorcycles, as basically mechanical muffalo, so you could be a roaming biker gang

the reactions kinda confused me a little but i sorta figured them out, the art is a serious blocker for me though. i have zero artistic talent.

Draw some circles on Muffallo for wheels. Call them Muffalocycles and have them require muffalo wool in the recipe.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just a guy on a muffalo! :bravo2:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

yoloer420 posted:

Don't play factorio.

Eh, Factorio not only encourages automation, but if you click to build something that you have the raw materials for, but not the intermediates, it makes all the intermediates for you automatically.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk the Average posted:

if you click to build something that you have the raw materials for, but not the intermediates, it makes all the intermediates for you automatically.

I like this a lot and I do not understand why so many other games insist on making things more tedious for no reason.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Moridin920 posted:

I like this a lot and I do not understand why so many other games insist on making things more tedious for no reason.

Well, it only works since Factorio has completely linear crafting progression. The instant you have crafting recipes that you can make with multiple possible ingredients, then you can't autocraft the intermediaries or else the game will inevitably prefer to use ingredients the players didn't expect or want and players will get mad. You could try to design a UI to get around it, but the more possible sub-ingredients you have to choose the more complicated and/or awkward that UI will get, and eventually it's just as bad as having the players just pick the intermediary recipes themselves anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mzbundifund posted:

Well, it only works since Factorio has completely linear crafting progression. The instant you have crafting recipes that you can make with multiple possible ingredients, then you can't autocraft the intermediaries or else the game will inevitably prefer to use ingredients the players didn't expect or want and players will get mad. You could try to design a UI to get around it, but the more possible sub-ingredients you have to choose the more complicated and/or awkward that UI will get, and eventually it's just as bad as having the players just pick the intermediary recipes themselves anyway.

That's a fair point but at the same time I feel like that's a pretty rare circumstance and the UI can probably do something about it in most cases.

Dwarf Fortress has a lot of UI faults bc toady basically doesn't prioritize it but just as an example it's dumb that I can tell my dwarves to make a "steel table" and it won't happen until I manually also tell them to make "steel bars" despite having plenty of iron/flux/coal. And steel bars requires manually making pig iron too, on top of that.

Though at least there I can tell them to maintain a minimum level of steel bars or pig iron, many games don't even do that.

e: easy solution would be to have the game ask the player what intermediaries/ingredients they want to use if there are several different options, then continue to use that every time they click the recipe unless they want to use something different in which case alt-click (or whatever) brings up the "what ingredients should I use?" prompt

I'm mostly just frustrated with "difficulty = tedious padding busy work" mentality of game design. It's more than just this particular crafting issue and it seems very ubiquitous in indie games. Then I see people insisting that it is better to not let the player automate repetitive tasks because "dumbing the game down" and I shake my head.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 14, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of tedious padding busy work, toxic fallout is just not a fun or interesting challenge, because you're either prepared or you're not. In theory there's a risk/reward of "do I let my pawn go outside to gather a resource and get a little sicker" but the UI is just absolute poo poo when it comes to that. I made a home area that was only inside plus my field. Then I wanted to butcher some animals that had died, so I had to build a "path" of allowed area to let my pawns gather those corpses. I couldn't force them to do it because it was outside their allowed area (but I could force them to eat the raw corpse!).

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of tedious padding busy work, toxic fallout is just not a fun or interesting challenge, because you're either prepared or you're not. In theory there's a risk/reward of "do I let my pawn go outside to gather a resource and get a little sicker" but the UI is just absolute poo poo when it comes to that. I made a home area that was only inside plus my field. Then I wanted to butcher some animals that had died, so I had to build a "path" of allowed area to let my pawns gather those corpses. I couldn't force them to do it because it was outside their allowed area (but I could force them to eat the raw corpse!).

What I do is let them go out every other day and that lets them do some work while keeping them from any dangerous exposure.

Though if you're in the middle of a food shortage and get toxic fallout then you are almost certainly doomed.

The effect on crops is the biggest issue for me. Combined with colonists constantly replanting dead crops over and over again which eats a lot of work hours.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have yet to experience toxic fallout, but I try to plan for it. Always try to have enough hydroponic bins and sun lamps on hand to feed your people, even if you don't use them. Even if you're just stuffing it into a paste dispenser. Better than starving, and it'll give them something to do.

Or, have cryptosleep caskets and keep everyone on ice until it passes. Keep one or two caretakers awake to keep the infrastructure running. You can live a long time on a stockpile of frozen pemmican with 1-2 people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

I have yet to experience toxic fallout, but I try to plan for it. Always try to have enough hydroponic bins and sun lamps on hand to feed your people, even if you don't use them. Even if you're just stuffing it into a paste dispenser. Better than starving, and it'll give them something to do.

Or, have cryptosleep caskets and keep everyone on ice until it passes. Keep one or two caretakers awake to keep the infrastructure running. You can live a long time on a stockpile of frozen pemmican with 1-2 people.

If you have cryopods, you almost certainly have a year's worth of food stashed away too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I started on a pretty cold map with real short grow seasons so I've basically just been setting up a sun lamp outside then building walls + roof around the area it covers plus a square for a heater, and I basically grow all my food in a couple of those. More electricity intensive than normal farming but less so than a bunch of hydroponic bins and more grow space, too (esp since I don't like to stack my hydro bins all right up against each other although I know pawns can walk over them).

Works for the fallout, too.

Only thing that bugs me is the plants stop growing at night as normal even though they still have full light intensity on them but apparently that's more realistic than not so whatevs. Not like I have a food shortage anyway.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 14, 2017