Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Soft Shell Crab posted:

He knows how to execute. Anyone who plays this game knows. Sometimes you finish with a light hit but you know that also.

Then guard the body until it expires? I mean there are a number of common sense solutions to this debacle, we can do this all day. The only time I have ever seen a revive go through is when people run off like dipshits.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

Then guard the body until it expires? I mean there are a number of common sense solutions to this debacle, we can do this all day. The only time I have ever seen a revive go through is when people run off like dipshits.

I agree. I was just replying to his "learn to play, that is all" style comment.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I lol'd when I was reading some guide on reditt and came across the planning threads for the faction war. It included people trying to spy on offsite forums where other factions were alleged to be planning.

Who gives two shits about the faction war???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain Beans posted:

I lol'd when I was reading some guide on reditt and came across the planning threads for the faction war. It included people trying to spy on offsite forums where other factions were alleged to be planning.

Redditors.

Look, they have strange priorities.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Beans posted:

The faction war would be more compelling if the difference between winning or losing couldn't be made up with a single round of daily quests. Maybe give the winning faction a unique helmet ornament or something.

e: Oh, I thought it meant nothing more than getting 1, 2, or 3 boxes once it finished. I guess that's marginally better.
vvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 14, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think the winning faction for the season gets a unique emblem border but hahahaha who gives a gently caress about that?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The worst thing is that we already know the best plan. Ignore the faction war until the last day then poopsock. Losing all your territory for the first 90% of the round actually helps since you get a comeback bonus.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
4v4 Dominion talk since I have been maining shugi bear and camping my fat rear end on the first point like a dark souls boss

If your team is getting sudden death and it's only you, CHOOSE WHERE YOU MAKE YOUR LAST STAND.

I've successfully 3v1 an entire team based on location and turned it around.

I'll give you an example.

On citadel, they have that tiny bridge right beside c point.

You can funnel the enemy team there and if you're good/lucky you can make a few of them fall. At this point the enemy team has to decide what's more important rezzing or fighting.

If it's rezzing you can execute the last guy there or just throw him off for a breather.

It gets dicey when the other team has there extra summoner things though. Getting catapulted is tough but there's not many other options when it comes to 4v1 except try to leverage the situation to your advantage.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I love that tight wooden bridge over the water in the swamp level because it's pretty much a guaranteed win on Shugoki if they're dumb enough to walk onto it.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I'm waffling on getting this. Does the good outweigh the bad, or is it still constant disconnects and bullshit gear nonsense?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I'm waffling on getting this. Does the good outweigh the bad, or is it still constant disconnects and bullshit gear nonsense?

It's a technical mess, and the community is absolutely horrid, but there is still an extremely fun game underneath it all. It really depends on whether they'll be able to enact meaningful patching and rebalancing in the near future.

VVVVVVVVV: Shugoki heel click, SHUGOKI HEEL CLICK PLEASE

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 14, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Livestream was apparently poo poo. Small patch coming this week with unknown minor balance changes and new emotes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Apparently the Faction War stuff is also bullshit? Man they're really firing on all cylinders here.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Dimo ArKacho posted:

For me, yes it's worth it. Game is crazy fun. I'll take a few disconnects every so often if I get to chop some heads off :getin:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Apparently the Faction War stuff is also bullshit? Man they're really firing on all cylinders here.

That samurai won? Because not that I really care but they were at 6 territories at T-minus 10 hours. That was some weapons grade socking if they really did come out on top.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dimo ArKacho posted:

It's a lot of fun to play and most of the more obnoxious Ubisoft stuff can be ignored easily enough, like all the store things on the main menu trying to get you to spend money on premium mode. 4v4 modes get a lot of criticism since gear gives high level players a clear advantage and the increased number of players leads to frequent connection issues, but the 1v1 and 2v2 modes don't apply gear stats and have reliable connections from my experience. The story mode is terrible and tacked on, but can be ignored unless you need the ~4000 steel and helmet ornaments you get from beating it.

Connection issues and balance are things they need to work on most, and they're addressing both. The core game is solid, they just need to tweak some things.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I've got the shoulder charge cancel into GB mixup down for Warden and it feels so good to destroy bad players with it. Also, is it actually possible to escape a Warden vortex while pinned against a wall?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Javes posted:

I've got the shoulder charge cancel into GB mixup down for Warden and it feels so good to destroy bad players with it. Also, is it actually possible to escape a Warden vortex while pinned against a wall?

For LB, it's not even possible to escape in the open, you're just straight hosed because you can't recover fast enough to react in time.

Edit: unless it's the guard break cancel, which you can counter normally.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

FunkMonkey posted:

For LB, it's not even possible to escape in the open, you're just straight hosed because you can't recover fast enough to react in time.

Edit: unless it's the guard break cancel, which you can counter normally.

Does LB not roll as far as the other characters?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Mother of god this timing is impossible what am I doing wrong :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53VB8WIKiQ

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Does LB not roll as far as the other characters?

In my attempts they can't get the roll started fast enough, but I'll try experimenting on that some more.

LBs have an animation for their back dodge where they sort of heave their weight back before actually moving. Maybe it's all in my head, but it seems like there's a greater delay on it. Maybe I'm just a chump.

The above video also tells me I really need to improve on my feinting game.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 14, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

Mother of god this timing is impossible what am I doing wrong :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53VB8WIKiQ

I practiced this and the timing on this is ridiculously tight. Like practice for a week to succeed 70% tight.

It's a glitch and not really worth trying to learn imo. Either it's going to get patched at some point or you'll likely never end up at an MMR where you need to do it to begin with.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Red Mundus posted:

It's a glitch and not really worth trying to learn imo. Either it's going to get patched at some point or you'll likely never end up at an MMR where you need to do it to begin with.

I got my purps and spent like a week dunking on all comers, now I'm in some kinda hell bracket where it seems every other person is fluent in both this and also, on special occasions, parrying (not blocking or deflecting) light attacks.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

That samurai won? Because not that I really care but they were at 6 territories at T-minus 10 hours. That was some weapons grade socking if they really did come out on top.

The turns end at like 7PM my time here in Japan. I'm pretty sure Samurai won because the last 3-4 hours are prime playing time for Asia, and I know for a fact that most of the people I play in my region are Samurai, so they have a huge advantage by playing when everyone else is asleep.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

If you actually cared about winning the faction war, is there anything to stop you from waiting until right before it finishes and switching sides to the winning faction? Seems like a much easier way of doing things than trying to organize everyone in a given faction to play a whole bunch on the last day.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There are limits on switching sides, you don't get any rewards that round or something like that iirc.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I play on PS4. The network stuff is not bothersome at all because it takes seconds to queue back into a game and the results really don't loving matter anyways. Gear also doesn't really mean poo poo outside of fast revives in four player modes. People that get a stick up their rear end because they lost to someone with a high gear score are looking for an excuse. It really doesn't change a good player into a bad or vice versa. My shugoki has better stamina and doesn't instantly exhaust himself in two moves. Maybe someone does a little more damage. You fight someone for a minute and move on. Goons are whiny fuckers.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I've been mainly sticking with the duel and brawl playlists for the most part. Mainly because I prefer it over the 4v4 gameplay but it has the added benefit of not having to deal 108 GS players.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jayisspecial posted:

I play on PS4. The network stuff is not bothersome at all because it takes seconds to queue back into a game and the results really don't loving matter anyways. Gear also doesn't really mean poo poo outside of fast revives in four player modes. People that get a stick up their rear end because they lost to someone with a high gear score are looking for an excuse. It really doesn't change a good player into a bad or vice versa. My shugoki has better stamina and doesn't instantly exhaust himself in two moves. Maybe someone does a little more damage. You fight someone for a minute and move on. Goons are whiny fuckers.

This is completely wrong about gear score. It makes a huge difference in 4v4. Someone with 108 is going to get revenge every 3-4 hits, do significantly more damage, or just stack debuff resistance and have all sorts of benefits. If you're gear score 15 playing against a bunch of 108s you're just gonna be way underclassed. It's a really, really dumb mechanic that discourages playing lots of different classes in those modes.

That being said, 4v4 modes are stupid garbage and all the people that play them are unskilled as poo poo. Can't parry, just swing for the fences every chance because all they do is play 4v4 and run around collecting power ups then wading into a skirmish with a bunch of people. The game is pretty fun if you do duels or brawls. That's where it actually turns into a fighting game. I never get disconnected from those modes either, though P2P means that you'll stick get lag and teleporting sometimes.

I do like PS4 though because I can just quit to make up for the terrible matchmaking. If I'm playing on my level 6 Valkyrie and go up against a Prestige 11 Peacekeeper I'll just leave the game and immediately re-queue. They're stuck in a match and I get to fight someone new. Win win.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jayisspecial posted:

People that get a stick up their rear end because they lost to someone with a high gear score are looking for an excuse. It really doesn't change a good player into a bad or vice versa. My shugoki has better stamina and doesn't instantly exhaust himself in two moves. Maybe someone does a little more damage. You fight someone for a minute and move on. Goons are whiny fuckers.
yeah this is wrong to such a degree that you must inhabit a different reality than me.

i am very good at this game, spent tons of time dueling because i like this as a competitive game. before i hit rep 3, i tried playing the four player modes every now and then and found them awful garbage. my dominion winrate was around 50%, probably under. AFTER i hit rep 3 and got my gear score up to 90, this happened

if you want to claim that gear will not make you automatically good, that is true. however, if you are good, having a high gear score will have you whooping people so loving hard they will wonder why they ever bought or played this game, a feeling i love inducing in people. if you are bad, i imagine you will perform VASTLY better than you would without gear. gear is good because it allows you to get revenge mode faster, it makes it last longer, and makes you do more damage/take less damage in revenge mode. it also just increases your damage and defense out of revenge mode, but those differences are a little more subtle. for an example: i am just camping the soldier lane and farming soldiers all game, which i usually do. two people approach me and try to fight me off. i WILL get revenge mode off before they kill me. if they try to fight me in revenge mode, they'll likely die because my attacks are uninterruptible and i only require 3-4 light hits to kill any character in the game. what they should do is back off and let it run out, though i can use this to my advantage by killing soldiers to restore my health or just moving to a more advantageous position on the map. gear provides an insane advantage to people who have it.

i am regularly destroying people 1v2, 1v3, or even a few times 1v4. you can make the argument that this is because i'm just skilled at the game, but this was absolutely not happening with regularity before i got geared. once geared, i started playing the 4 player modes more because they are hilarious stomps 90% of the time.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
you can't miss with revenge mode either, you're getting that guaranteed knockdown on an attacking opponent.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I exclusively do 4v4s when I have Daily Orders for them, especially because I don't even have a Prestige 3 character and haven't even opened any crates to get gear. But when I go in what pisses me off is that I can do pretty well against a Gold 108, playing smart and making sure I'm only taking guaranteed hits, then some loving jabrony on my team comes tearing rear end in and lays down a bunch of blocked hits and my low health opponent suddenly revenges and hulks out. Every single time.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jayisspecial posted:

Not everyone has unlimited time to play. So yeah, when I spend a large amount of time getting disconnected and having to requeue, it definitely takes some of the luster off the game.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Red Mundus posted:

It's a glitch and not really worth trying to learn imo. Either it's going to get patched at some point

This is what I'm most interested in. Even if I never get good enough to need it I like to be able to perform the moves in the game available to me (and being able to feint lights into lights would be insanely useful). But right now it's hard to tell what "hidden" mechanics are intended or exploits.

I guess I should wait another month before diving in and tracking down all these "guaranteed xyz" situations and all the unlisted moves. I will say it is slightly annoying that they'll list, say, the Warlord's Shield Counter Light but not his Shield Counter Heavy. I definitely had to watch youtubes for that (and man do I hate youtubers)

tl;dr: I am terrible at fighting games and decided to choose this one to get into. god help me

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

cams posted:

yeah this is wrong to such a degree that you must inhabit a different reality than me.

i am very good at this game, spent tons of time dueling because i like this as a competitive game. before i hit rep 3, i tried playing the four player modes every now and then and found them awful garbage. my dominion winrate was around 50%, probably under. AFTER i hit rep 3 and got my gear score up to 90, this happened

if you want to claim that gear will not make you automatically good, that is true. however, if you are good, having a high gear score will have you whooping people so loving hard they will wonder why they ever bought or played this game, a feeling i love inducing in people. if you are bad, i imagine you will perform VASTLY better than you would without gear. gear is good because it allows you to get revenge mode faster, it makes it last longer, and makes you do more damage/take less damage in revenge mode. it also just increases your damage and defense out of revenge mode, but those differences are a little more subtle. for an example: i am just camping the soldier lane and farming soldiers all game, which i usually do. two people approach me and try to fight me off. i WILL get revenge mode off before they kill me. if they try to fight me in revenge mode, they'll likely die because my attacks are uninterruptible and i only require 3-4 light hits to kill any character in the game. what they should do is back off and let it run out, though i can use this to my advantage by killing soldiers to restore my health or just moving to a more advantageous position on the map. gear provides an insane advantage to people who have it.

i am regularly destroying people 1v2, 1v3, or even a few times 1v4. you can make the argument that this is because i'm just skilled at the game, but this was absolutely not happening with regularity before i got geared. once geared, i started playing the 4 player modes more because they are hilarious stomps 90% of the time.

Well you just hit the nail on the head. Don't trigger their revenge when it can be avoided and don't mindlessly bash on them and keep it going. That's not gear. It's their dumb decisions. I am prestige 6 on my shugoki and my gear score is 88. I really could not give a gently caress about getting it higher. Never, in all my time playing, have I run into a 100 + gear player and even taken note of combat playing differently than brawl. I am not saying I am good either. I am not. But I don't get smashed by said 100+ players because the fundementals of the game don't change very much. The big exception to this are nearly instant revives.

And once again, My fight with said gold person will be over in seconds and then I will face someone else. Or I am forced to try to out think them.

And as for connection woos, the game literally takes around 60 seconds or so from finding players to launching. If you play dominion matches on PC and your games are constantly crashing I could understand the frustration. On the PS4 when my elimination match or brawl crashes I am back to playing a minute later. It doesn't happen much.

Jayisspecial fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jayisspecial posted:

Well you just hit the nail on the head. Don't trigger their revenge when it can be avoided and don't mindlessly bash on them and keep it going. That's not gear. It's their dumb decisions. I am prestige 6 on my shugoki and my gear score is 88. I really could not give a gently caress about getting it higher. Never, in all my time playing, have I run into a 100 + gear player and even taken note of combat playing differently than brawl. I am not saying I am good either. I am not. But I don't get smashed by said 100+ players because the fundementals of the game don't change very much. The big exception to this are nearly instant revives.

And once again, My fight with said gold person will be over in seconds and then I will face someone else. Or I am forced to try to out think them.

And as for connection woos, the game literally takes around 60 seconds or so from finding players to launching. If you play dominion matches on PC and your games are constantly crashing I could understand the frustration. On the PS4 when my elimination match or brawl crashes I am back to playing a minute later. It doesn't happen much.

Well first off, at 88 gear score you're pretty near the top, so you're not that far away from 108 anyway.

Second, as Shugoki you don't really need to throw out a lot of lights, you can mostly play reactive and bait out some parries. If you're playing PK, Valkyrie, Warden, Orochi, Raider, Berserker, or any one of the other classes that needs to go for light attacks doing that against a 108 opponent means that any block is most likely going to give them about 30% of their Revenge meter instantly. And if you're playing someone with a close relative skill level and they have revenge every few hits and you don't it doesn't matter if you can out think them, they'll win if they're not poo poo.

Gear Stats are poo poo, and 4v4 modes are poo poo because of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Looking at that stats website, it seems at least 50% of the game's playerbase on ps4 stopped playing almost immediately, and what we're left with in 4v4 is some real shitshow poo poo

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've been playing like the exact same people in duels over and over. They're all like prestige 7 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What's the deal with raider? It seems really hard to punish decent players and also hit decent players. Anyone got tips?